Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2016, 01:56   #4546
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Interesting comparison.

What, by the way, is this mosquito thing with LG ACs? Is it real and how does it work? Most of the "they can't stand this noise" contraptions are pure useless quakery. Nor are they irresistably attracted to UV light, like some insects are --- although my lamp traps do catch enough of them to be worthwhile.
Old 18th April 2016, 08:36   #4547
Team-BHP Support

Last time I came to this thread in 2014 and got utterly confused with what air con to buy. The confusion was between the now defunct R22 gas and the new R32 and R410 gas.

This year I decided to buy the AC then post on the thread. Less confusion. lol.

Bangalore heat was unbearable this time and I picked up 3 units for home. All 3 inverter models 1T, 1.5T and 2.2T from Daikin.

1. FTKP 1T for smaller bedroom
2. FTKH (2016 new model) 1.5T for master bedroom
3. FTKP 2.2T for living and dining area

Total for all 3 units was negotiated to 1.5L and 10K for installation.

The FTKH 1.5T is a new Eco-Inverter model and the prices are very very good. The 1.5T FTKH is just 3K more than the 1T FTKP.

Units are insanely quiet indoors and outdoor. I can hear my neighbours LG and Samsung unit running whereas the Daikin is completely silent operation.
Old 18th April 2016, 09:04   #4548
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Why should an end user be bothered with the refrigerant in use? To be very sure, all refrigerants will be available for far longer than the life span of any AC that anyone is buying today.
I think R22 goes out in 2023. I have a couple of Videocons from 199-2000. Still going strong, though one needed to be recharged last year. Yes, even R12 is still available, but the price, quality and availability. Remember R12 was used in car ACs and refrigerators, and also at least one AC - Voltas Crystal B1G. The B1W switched to R22.
Old 18th April 2016, 10:32   #4549

My UPS/Inverter is powering my home and it most definitely won't support an Air Conditioner. Is there an easy way to keep the A/C disconnected from the UPS line without rewiring it entirely?
Old 18th April 2016, 11:34   #4550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srichida View Post
My UPS/Inverter is powering my home and it most definitely won't support an Air Conditioner. Is there an easy way to keep the A/C disconnected from the UPS line without rewiring it entirely?
No, there is no easy way. If the AC happens to be running (with compressor cut in) when the outage occurs the inverter will trip on overload. You'll have to turn off the AC and re-set the inverter. Not worth it, isn't it?
You should get a separate line laid for the AC.
Old 18th April 2016, 11:43   #4551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srichida View Post
My UPS/Inverter is powering my home and it most definitely won't support an Air Conditioner.
Am pretty sure your inverter wiring won't be connected to your 15 and 20a wiring circuit. In all likelihood you will not have any issue. If it is indeed connected to the 15 and 20a circuits, you can isolate that breaker alone at your DB in your house. If you post pics of the DB and the inverter connections maybe we can understand completely too.
Old 18th April 2016, 12:53   #4552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This year I decided to buy the AC then post on the thread. Less confusion. lol.

Bangalore heat was unbearable this time and I picked up 3 units for home. All 3 inverter models 1T, 1.5T and 2.2T from Daikin....
@Vid,

I have decided to go for the Daikin FTKP35QRV16 (1T Inverter)
Is your 1T Inv too the same model or some other model ?

The usual run of the mill Electronic stores don't seem to be interested in pushing Daikin, they just say out of stock.

Contacted a direct dealer and he said he can get it in 3 days for 42k.

Just want to confirm if you are happy with your model and if you picked up the same one I listed above.
Old 18th April 2016, 13:12   #4553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
@Vid,

I have decided to go for the Daikin FTKP35QRV16 (1T Inverter)
Is your 1T Inv too the same model or some other model ?

The usual run of the mill Electronic stores don't seem to be interested in pushing Daikin, they just say out of stock.

Contacted a direct dealer and he said he can get it in 3 days for 42k.

Just want to confirm if you are happy with your model and if you picked up the same one I listed above.
Yup that's the one I got FTKP35QRV16. I picked up 3 units together so the price was lower than 42K by a fair bit.

I got it from Aerogem who is authorised Daikin distributor. Contact person is Srinivas (9845037942).

Found that this guy had the best price amongst other places I got the quote from.
Old 18th April 2016, 15:43   #4554
BHPian

LG 1.5 ton Smart Inverter 18JBE initial ownership review:

An excellent performer let down by poor features.

Pros:
+ Cools very well and very fast. This is not peak summer yet, so peak performance will be known only then.
+ Very quite, both IDU and ODU. Comparing to my 0.8 ton Daikin, the air noise of indoor unit is just negligibly more, but then air handling capacity is double.
+ Has a very wide cooling range from 0.33 ton to 1.6 ton. Panasonic and Samsung has similar range, General has wider range, most other brands has narrower range. Theoretically low starting range will save a lot of energy during non-peak season and early morning hours when cooling load is low.
+ Seems very energy efficient, probably due to point above. Our prepaid electricity meter shows about 2.5 units (2.5kW) of power consumption overnight. During this time the other loads were a 50W ceiling fan and an old refrigerator. Power consumption will have to be validated over a longer period to time, but it looks good so far.

Cons:
- Sleep timer increases temperature by 1 deg at 30 minutes and another 1 deg at 1 hour from the time it is set. This is way too fast for me. Hitachi Kaimin allows you how many increments to set. Daikin, AFAIR, increases 1 deg at 1 hour and another 1 deg at 4 hour. This LG can set power off at maximum 7 hours from the time it is set. You want to sleep 8 hours? Better wake up at 7 hours and reset your AC!
- Dual protection filter listed prominently in features is optional.
- Just one piece of 3M filter, which is advertised so prominently, is standard. There is slot for another piece.
- Remote is not back lit.
- LED status light on IDU is extremely bright. However it can be switched off.
- User manual looks unprofessional: no model number, lots of disclaimer that certain features may not be applicable, all B&W (no colour even on LG logo), some items repeated. BTW unit is imported but manual is printed in India, so probably drafted here; maybe our chalta hai thing seeping in.

Conclusion:
Coming from prior usage of Daikin, the LG feels like a step down in terms of overall brand value. If only Daikin would improve their response time and deploy more inhouse trained technicians (we are still waiting for the old Daikin to be repaired). For people who have used Samsung, Panasonic, etc this LG offers a good alternative.
Old 18th April 2016, 17:18   #4555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
- Sleep timer increases temperature by 1 deg at 30 minutes and another 1 deg at 1 hour from the time it is set. This is way too fast for me. Hitachi Kaimin allows you how many increments to set. Daikin, AFAIR, increases 1 deg at 1 hour and another 1 deg at 4 hour. This LG can set power off at maximum 7 hours from the time it is set. You want to sleep 8 hours? Better wake up at 7 hours and reset your AC!
Even the more sophisticated sleep systems are probably useless to me. I just set the temperature I want all night. It is only a couple of degree below ambient, but, along with the de-humidifying that the AC gives, it is my comfort temperature. Any increase would make me uncomfortable.

Perhaps those things work for people who set their ACs on 19 or 20 (and then get under a duvet!). They do not work for those of us that like to sleep at 26 or 27.

Many of us here are probably gadgetphiles. I love feature-rich equipment. Just have to accept that some of those features don't work for me.
Old 18th April 2016, 17:31   #4556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Perhaps those things work for people who set their ACs on 19 or 20 (and then get under a duvet!). They do not work for those of us that like to sleep at 26 or 27. Many of us here are probably gadgetphiles. I love feature-rich equipment. Just have to accept that some of those features don't work for me.
Very true. I set the temp at 18-20 in the beginning, once the room gets chilled, will increase to 25 and done.
Old 18th April 2016, 17:34   #4557
BHPian

Quote:
What, by the way, is this mosquito thing with LG ACs?
It is supposedly based on ultrasonic waves.

Quote:
Perhaps those things work for people who set their ACs on 19 or 20 (and then get under a duvet!). They do not work for those of us that like to sleep at 26 or 27.
My problem is quite different. I set AC at 28 deg C, lower than this is too cold for me, even under an AC quilt. By morning it becomes too cold. However two degrees up from 28 is too hot again.
Old 18th April 2016, 17:38   #4558
BHPian

Quote:
This feature (ex: Kaimin in Hitachi) works well for people who want to be just below ambient temperature. I set it at 25 in Auto mode while going to bed and then have it move to 26 post 1hr and 27 post 2hr automatically. I don't need to use a bed sheet, forget a duvet. This is a very comfortable feature, I read in the manual that it is tied to human metabolism and body temperature changes at night.
Old 18th April 2016, 18:24   #4559
BHPian

Has anyone used inverter AC's from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries? Their 1 ton is priced at 47K and 1.5 ton at 59K.

I have their 1.5ton 5* star and this unit works like a charm; very quiet and cools much quicker. Energy bills are also reasonable.
Old 18th April 2016, 21:25   #4560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What, by the way, is this mosquito thing with LG ACs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
It is supposedly based on ultrasonic waves.
Then it is probably bull excrement. It has been a while since I checked it out online, but when I last did, there was an entomological consensus that there is no sound that repels mossies.

<a few minutes later>

Google results still agree with this.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th April 2016 at 21:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks