Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2017, 12:47   #4981
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Thinking of getting Kenstar 1.0 Ton 5 star AC from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.in/Kenstar-KSZ35-W...split+for+home

Comes to 22K + installation. But the only grouse is the condenser is made of aluminum and its R-22/R-410(A)

We have a godrej split AC 1.0 ton 5 star on the first floor which is about 3 years old and going very well.

Does anybody know if Kenstar brand is good or should i look at other options?

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 13th March 2017 at 12:49.
Old 13th March 2017, 13:55   #4982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post

Comes to 22K + installation. But the only grouse is the condenser is made of aluminum and its R-22/R-410(A)

We have a godrej split AC 1.0 ton 5 star on the first floor which is about 3 years old and going very well.

Brands mean very little. Kenstar has been around for a while. Most companies use parts sourced from outside manufacturers. If you are the type who wants to save a lot upfront and take a chance that the unit might not last beyond five years, go for it. It will probably last just as long as any other brand. On the other hand, if you are the type who likes to spend more upfront in order to try and get a unit that might last longer, then look for a higher priced unit. Keep in mind that this very forum is full of people who have had issues with LG, Panasonic and others which cost twice the amount that you are paying for this Kenstar.

I personally would just look at the specifications and then go with the unit providing best value. Sure, a Hitachi costing 45k might be 20% better but it doesn't make sense to pay more than twice the price for it. I bought a Koryo brand split ac (an E Zone brand) for 12K on a special sale 3 years back and it is running fine. It is in fact the best one out of 5 acs in our home. It is super quiet and cools really well. I would rather save 10 to 20k upfront than worry about something breaking down later on.
Old 13th March 2017, 20:35   #4983
BHPian

Quote:

My friend is using Kenstar since more then 5 years now. But he was sure about the source. These were Singapore imports and have two horizontal swing plates for air flow direction. Never had any issue. It's 1.5 ton and cooling his 300 sqft bedroom with no hint of inefficiency. He got it for 16000/- brand new.

The link you provided shows the seller amazon itself which is again a plus as amazon won't sell something that would impact their brand name. Just my view but not choice.
Old 13th March 2017, 21:40   #4984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Kenstar is incidentally owned by videocon.
I had installed a product from Kenstar - A large water heater in my home in Bangalore.
It broke down not once or twice. But a total of 8 times.
Adding insult to injury, Kenstar does not have a service centre of it's own and they have outsourced it to incompetent third party vendors.

Pls kindly be careful.
Old 13th March 2017, 22:02   #4985
Senior - BHPian

We have 4 ACs in the house, 2 are in bedrooms with regular use.

Is there any way to find out how many units they consume?
Old 14th March 2017, 08:07   #4986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
I assembled a meter this way to be able to determine my ac usage costs. The meter was from AliExpress and rest of the components from a local electric shop.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1489459002.861458.jpg
Old 14th March 2017, 10:03   #4987
BANNED

@diyguy; Looks like an interesting device. Basically, the meter is 'sitting' in the switch slot.. Any modifications required. In my case I have also moved from the metal clap plugs and sockets to 16/26A systems. You can get plugs from Northwest and others which are solid copper / brass so do not spark and burn out.
Old 14th March 2017, 10:48   #4988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
We have 4 ACs in the house, 2 are in bedrooms with regular use.

As mentioned by other members, you can get a small device that can be plugged in between the appliance and the mains. Otherwise, if you have access to your main electric meter, you can try and turn off everything else in the house (as far as possible) and then run these units one by one for say one hour or a period of few hours each. Now you can see how many units have increased on your household's main electric meter. This would give you a rough idea. You could keep one fan or one light on for instance if needed as these won't affect the readings too much.

Keep in mind there are several other factors such as the ambient outside temperate, how low you set these acs and so on. One other factor is that once the room has been initially cooled, the ac compressor would run less often. That is why I would suggest you run each unit for a period of several hours to conduct this test. The consumption would change depending on these parameters. For instance on a warm day at 30 C the consumption would be lower but the same unit is likely to consume more power if the temperature outside is 45C.
Old 14th March 2017, 10:59   #4989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Basically, the meter is 'sitting' in the switch slot.. Any modifications required.
No modifications done, just purchased a double pole MCB size switch box. Only issue with my unit is I did not get a strain relief for the cable coming out of the box to prevent the wiring getting loose. I was looking for something like the below, but couldnt find it locally. The cable was too thick for me to knot it as a jugaad. I could have wound insulation tape to it but it would have needed too many rotations and so i left it as is.

Old 14th March 2017, 12:42   #4990
BHPian

Is there any website where all Daikin models are listed for side by side comparison ?

I plan to installa a split A/c for a bed room 12x12 ft. Usage would be very minimal maybe 3 months in a year that too only in the nights.
Can't decide between
Daikin ATF35QRV16 1T Non-Inverter. (around 32k)
Daikin FTKH35SRV 1T Inverter. (around 39k)

I dont mind the initial extra cost for an Inverter model if it would be a better choice in the long run, any inputs ?

Last edited by Fillmore : 14th March 2017 at 12:44. Reason: altered content.
Old 21st March 2017, 09:49   #4991
Senior - BHPian

I purchased a Carrier 1.5T Superia inverter AC from Paytm. Cost me some Rs.36XXX change after cashback. The AC was delivered in 5 days and I logged a call to their helpline to install. Promptly got a call the same day and scheduled the installation on Saturday. On the given day, the technician called and landed up at my place. Entire process took some 2 hours. I was charged the standard installation of Rs1500/- and nothing more.

The AC works fine and cools in a few minutes. The room is 140 sq ft, top floor with terrace on top. Only issue I found is that the AC makes too much noise. In high speed mode, the fan just gushes out a loud sound and this continues throughout. In low speed, the sound is there but minimal.
I have asked them to come and have a look at it.
My Voltas 1.2 T Inverter in another room is pretty silent and we cannot even hear it when it is on high. Is this normal behaviour for Carrier Inverter Acs? Can any one suggest?
Old 21st March 2017, 10:53   #4992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@diyguy; Looks like an interesting device. Basically, the meter is 'sitting' in the switch slot.. Any modifications required. In my case I have also moved from the metal clap plugs and sockets to 16/26A systems. You can get plugs from Northwest and others which are solid copper / brass so do not spark and burn out.
I am looking for a smart control panel which I can integrate with my main electric panel and monitor remotely. Anything like this available in India?
Old 24th March 2017, 21:59   #4993
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

We are getting a good deal on Samsung 1.5Ton inverter AC ar18mv3hewk at 36K . How is the feedback for Samsung ACs?

Similar models from Daikin and Carrier are costing upwards of 44K ?

Please advise.

We are planning to purchase 3 units of 1.5 Ton split ACS.
Old 25th March 2017, 00:38   #4994
Senior - BHPian

Question for the hivemind,
Looking for a reliable 1.5 to 2 ton split AC for low to moderate usage and a super long life. Prefer to pay for a quality unit that wouldn't die for 8 to 10 years.
Please suggest brands and models to go for.
Old 25th March 2017, 10:42   #4995
Senior - BHPian

Getting a Carrier 1.5 ton Superia split Ac installed tomorrow. Couldn't find any information on what gas it uses. Any clues ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks