Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2017, 12:25   #5146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
i want to cover with insulation foam tape as a dyi project. Can anyone suggest where i could source the tape
Normal duct tape will also suffice. The broader it is, easier to rotate around the pipes. You should get it in any hardware store. My first two Daikin's pipes were wrapped in duct tape by the installers about 6-7 years back.
Old 23rd April 2017, 13:59   #5147
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Normal duct tape will also suffice. The broader it is, easier to rotate around the pipes. You should get it in any hardware store. My first two Daikin's pipes were wrapped in duct tape by the installers about 6-7 years back.
But do not compress the insulation material. Just about all installers seem to make this mistake.
Old 23rd April 2017, 14:00   #5148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It would be far better to first wrap a layer of foam (about a half inch thick) around the pipes and then cover with duct tape. Insulation relies on trapped air to be effective. Duct tape by itself has no 'trapped air' inside it.
Old 23rd April 2017, 15:23   #5149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
It would be far better to first wrap a layer of foam (about a half inch thick) around the pipes and then cover with duct tape.
Okay I must have mis-intepreted as the original post mentioned the insulation foam was damaged. I suggested to wrap it up with duct tape. If there is no foam then yes that needs to be arranged and then taped over.
Old 23rd April 2017, 15:46   #5150
BHPian

Found this in Amazon, can i warp this and again cover with duct tape. Hope this should resolve.
http://http://www.amazon.in/Nitrile-...inhydr18418-21
Old 23rd April 2017, 19:17   #5151
BHPian

Quote:
Found this in Amazon, can i warp this and again cover with duct tape. [/url]
I think that should suffice. Here are some pics of my last ac install by Samsung folks. The unit came with a length of spongy foam tube that had a slit along its length. He just wrapped the thing around the copper and taped it every foot or two.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1492955181.815360.jpgThe home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1492955197.399499.jpgThe home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1492955210.340154.jpg
Old 23rd April 2017, 20:00   #5152
Senior - BHPian

We had a situation at church when the AC outdoor unit got stolen a couple of weeks ago. We have installed another new one at a better location away from the compound wall.
Any suggestion as to how this theft can be prevented. We are getting brackets that will be welded on to the AC and wall.
Old 23rd April 2017, 23:45   #5153
Senior - BHPian

Anyone using Gree AC's? We were having a discussion on board our ship and our Chinese 2nd Engineer says he is using these AC's without any problems for 15 years. Are they available in India? It's a Chinese brand.

http://www.greecomfort.com/
Old 25th April 2017, 09:12   #5154
BHPian

Quote:
Found this in Amazon, can i warp this and again cover with duct tape. Hope this should resolve.
http://http://www.amazon.in/Nitrile-...inhydr18418-21
Wrapping the whole tube with this roll looks to be too much work.
Better to get these
Foam Tubes.
I am guessing if you source it locally it might be a bit cheaper. Just try calling up A/c servicing centers and ask them where this is available.
Old 25th April 2017, 10:31   #5155
Distinguished - BHPian

Tubes can only be used for installation... when the ends are available. The split type can be applied any time, eg replacement. I suppose one could tape over the split!
Old 25th April 2017, 13:20   #5156
Senior - BHPian

Looking to install a 1 Ton Split A/C at my place in Chennai. Got a quote from a dealer for a Hitachi 3 Star for 30K. Total comes to 35K for installation, stabilizer etc. It is available immediately.

Only fly in the ointment is that it is a R22 type AC. I was asking for a R32 or R410 and am particularly keen on Mitsubishi. My sister's place has a few of these machines and I just love the volume of air it throws out compared to the rest of the machines.

It seems like a no-brainer to wait for the next batch of Mitsubishi to arrive and go for a 1 ton from it. But just confirming, is R22 v R32/410 really such a big deal as it is made out. Especially with the non-availability of the refrigerant in the later years.

I own a Whirlpool Window A/C in the other room and don't remember doing anything other than regular cleaning for it in the ten years of buying. I am new to split A/C's. How frequent does the gas need to be refilled or recharged?

Any other maintenance tasks that I need to be aware of?
Old 25th April 2017, 14:03   #5157
BHPian

Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
But just confirming, is R22 v R32/410 really such a big deal as it is made out.
I think R22 will be around longer than the life of this ac that you are planning for sure, irrespective of regulatory dates. One thing is R22 is cheaper and more widely available now.
I have a 11 year old 2T Samsung split and it has never had a gas refill. Have 2 Daikin's that are about 6-7 years old and both have had gas refills as they lost cooling. My friend just got a 3 year old Daikin refilled two days ago. All of these are R22s.

Last edited by diyguy : 25th April 2017 at 14:06.
Old 25th April 2017, 14:12   #5158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Why on Earth was she storing them inside the AC??!!
This is probably called innovation !! AC can be used as Fridge to keep vegetables and vice versa !!
Old 25th April 2017, 14:45   #5159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
But just confirming, is R22 v R32/410 really such a big deal as it is made out.
Remember the quote "We Do Not Inherit the Earth from Our Ancestors; We Borrow It from Our Children.."

When you have a chance why go for R22 ?
Also Ref - https://www.daikin.com/csr/information/influence/

Old 25th April 2017, 15:10   #5160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Remember the quote "We Do Not Inherit the Earth from Our Ancestors; We Borrow It from Our Children.."

When you have a chance why go for R22 ?
Also Ref - https://www.daikin.com/csr/information/influence/

Definitely intent on doing my part for the environment but didn't want to be 'early adopters' of this change. If the R410 machines are as reliable as the R22, I am all for it.

Quote:
I think R22 will be around longer than the life of this ac that you are planning for sure, irrespective of regulatory dates. One thing is R22 is cheaper and more widely available now.
I have a 11 year old 2T Samsung split and it has never had a gas refill. Have 2 Daikin's that are about 6-7 years old and both have had gas refills as they lost cooling. My friend just got a 3 year old Daikin refilled two days ago. All of these are R22s.
There really isn't anything that fixes the time after which these machines need a recharge, is what I observe from your post Any idea on how much it costs for a refill?

Either way, I wanted a Mitsubishi and have decided to go with the R410 machines while I wait for it anyway. If the price differential for the machines is too high, maybe it will be time for a revisit. It is for the secondary bedroom which will be occupied only on two weekends every month. So not in a hurry exactly. But Chennai summers are forcing the decision.

Thank you for the feedback diyguy and Fillmore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks