Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2017, 12:30   #5536
BANNED

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

My parents do not use an AC at all. But some guests who come for overnight stay need them. So the AC is on just 5-6 nights in a whole year. They had a LG 1 ton Window AC which has given a lot of problems. They ended up spending a lot of money repairing it (the standard gas filling scam, I think). Now they want to buy a new AC since that one is again giving problems.

So which is a good 1 ton Window AC to buy? Efficiency is not important - it can be 1 star even - it's hardly going to be used. Good After Sales Service and lack of maintenance is important. Should be cheap. What do you guys suggest?

Last edited by carboy : 15th October 2017 at 12:45.
Old 15th October 2017, 12:37   #5537
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
I have a Panasonic 1.5 Ton, 3 star at home. After 6 years, the indoor copper coil had leakage and was changed few months back through Panasonic service.
In my view 6 years is about the beginning of the time window where replacement has to be looked at. If it was ten plus, I will say by all means. I find it very surprising that the copper coil is again leaking. I will trend to agree with the idea of replacing the beast altogether.

However, this incident with a brand like Panasonic sure rings a bell and will be remembered.
Old 16th October 2017, 12:10   #5538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My parents do not use an AC at all. But some guests who come for overnight stay need them. So the AC is on just 5-6 nights in a whole year. They had a LG 1 ton Window AC which has given a lot of problems. They ended up spending a lot of money repairing it (the standard gas filling scam, I think). Now they want to buy a new AC since that one is again giving problems.

So which is a good 1 ton Window AC to buy? Efficiency is not important - it can be 1 star even - it's hardly going to be used. Good After Sales Service and lack of maintenance is important. Should be cheap. What do you guys suggest?
Get a locally assembled one, preferably all mechanical including thermostat. These will last a decade and there is always the local shop for repairs.
Old 16th October 2017, 16:12   #5539
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Get a locally assembled one, preferably all mechanical including thermostat. These will last a decade and there is always the local shop for repairs.
Thank you, Aroy. Where do I go looking for something like this? Do they give any warranty/guarantee? And how much should I expect to pay for a 1 ton Window AC?
Old 17th October 2017, 14:07   #5540
BHPian

The LG 1.5 ton split unit in our bedroom has been making more noise than I am comfortable with. Its not abnormally noisy. We make a service request. LG service technician came promptly. He said the "controller" is not working properly. it will cost Rs 8000 to replace, no repair. He added we can take an AMC immediately and the controller will be replaced free of cost. Does anyone smell anything fishy in this?
Old 17th October 2017, 14:49   #5541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
.... Does anyone smell anything fishy in this?
Yes sir, I do. This is an attempt to lighten your wallet! I doubt even the controller card story!
Old 17th October 2017, 15:37   #5542
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Does anyone smell anything fishy in this?
Definitely, taking you to be a mug. Only, spares for Splits are very costly, being proprietary.
Old 17th October 2017, 18:22   #5543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Thank you, Aroy. Where do I go looking for something like this? Do they give any warranty/guarantee? And how much should I expect to pay for a 1 ton Window AC?
No idea of Mumbai. You can ask around for good AC mechanics and they will guide you to those who sell assembled AC. They will give you warranty and service it whenever you need to.

Regarding costs, an assembled AC will costs less than a branded AC.
Old 19th October 2017, 22:39   #5544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Yes sir, I do. This is an attempt to lighten your wallet! I doubt even the controller card story!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Definitely, taking you to be a mug. Only, spares for Splits are very costly, being proprietary.
Thanks for the responses. I was suspicious and did not buy his proposal.
Old 6th December 2017, 10:52   #5545
BANNED

Git my Daikin FTKS60VMA (2TR, Inverter, R410a) back. seems there was some internal leak which was fixed. Now installed it in the Living Room, as we had installed a General in the Bed room. Seems to be holding well, but really winters are the best time to test an AC.
Old 6th December 2017, 13:10   #5546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... Seems to be holding well, but really winters are the best time to test an AC.
Scratching my head trying to figure out what exactly you mean by this.
Old 7th December 2017, 10:48   #5547
BANNED

Quote:
Scratching my head trying to figure out what exactly you mean by this.
This tells you two things:

1. Leaks?
2. Performance.
Old 7th December 2017, 11:43   #5548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This tells you two things:

1. Leaks?
2. Performance.
I'm still lost. Leaks, I can understand. But performance? In winter time? The unit is operating at far lower pressures and temperatures than it would during summer!
Old 7th December 2017, 12:37   #5549
BANNED

Quote:
I'm still lost. Leaks, I can understand. But performance? In winter time? The unit is operating at far lower pressures and temperatures than it would during summer!
Well he pressurized it overnight and the next day there was no loss of pressure. Also, gas fill is by the feel so must be verified at high load.
Old 7th December 2017, 22:14   #5550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well he pressurized it overnight and the next day there was no loss of pressure. ...
Ah! Pressurized! With a pump.(?) You forgot to mention this earlier. Also, to what pressure did he pressurize? And with what medium? Refrigerant? I have heard of vacuum test, but not really a pressure test.

Last edited by anupmathur : 7th December 2017 at 22:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks