Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2019, 09:30   #6271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
It is very normal for any AC to expel this much water.
There are 4 more ACs on my floor and they do not expel this much water. Not even a quarter of this. There is also an ATM below which expels less water in a a day. This is what led me to believe that maybe my AC is at fault here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Drying the air is a normal function of AC machines. I don't see what the gas has to do with that.
Anything abnormal in your IDU? Like ice forming or dirty fins?
No, Thad anna, there is no ice formation and the fins are clean since the AC is new.
I wonder where all the water is coming from, because there definitely is not that much water to extract from in my office. Its 3 people and 4 computers in a rectangular office space.

PS: IDU is my son's short name (for Idhant) - and he's absolutely normal

Last edited by samaspire : 29th May 2019 at 09:34.
Old 29th May 2019, 10:10   #6272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
There are 4 more ACs on my floor and they do not expel this much water. Not even a quarter of this. There is also an ATM below which expels less water in a a day. This is what led me to believe that maybe my AC is at fault here.

I wonder where all the water is coming from, because there definitely is not that much water to extract from in my office. Its 3 people and 4 computers in a rectangular office space.

The water exuded by the AC is actually the moisture extracted from the room, which in turn depends on the people occupying the room. Other factors affecting this could be the frequency of the door opening and the presence of water eg. Indoor water fountain, indoor plants etc.
Another factor is the ambient humidity and the set temperature of the AC.
If you set the AC at anything lower than 25 degree C, in tropical climate, the AC will extract more moisture.

It is all a matter of complex physics which I have tried to present it in simple English.
The damage these AC water can do to the building or parked car underneath has to be seen to be believed. It damaged my ground floor concrete topping above the window over a period of time.
Thad reported that it damaged his Maruti car metal shield near the wipers - if I remember right.
Old 29th May 2019, 12:00   #6273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a problem. I installed a Godrej 1.5 ton 3-star inverter AC in my office about 3 months ago. Due some complaints from shops below us, I realised that my AC's water output is a lot more than normal. The water used to drip in front of these shops the entire day. I started collecting the water in a bucket and found that one and half bucket gets filled from 10:00 am to 9:00 pm.

I complained to the service center and they say its normal output for AC's with R-410-A gas. Is it normal? If it indeed is normal, then what do I do with the water. Piping it away is not an option. At present I'm dumping the water twice a day.
De-humidification has nothing to do with refrigerant. but everything with the temperature of the condenser in the room. Normal discharge temperature is around 12 to 14 degrees centigrade and in older AC it can be as high as 18 degrees, with a new AC it can be as low as 8 degrees. The service engineer had shown 10 degrees on my new AC. With lower temperature you will get more water.

If you cannot pipe the water to the nearest drain, then you can use it for washing or cleaning.
Old 29th May 2019, 14:26   #6274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, Thad anna, there is no ice formation and the fins are clean since the AC is new.
Then, Thambi, you are seeing the super efficiency of your new AC compared to the others!
Quote:
I wonder where all the water is coming from, because there definitely is not that much water to extract from in my office. Its 3 people ...
Whoa! Quite apart from climactic humidity, three people are going to be giving off quite a lot of water.

The only problem with all this super new-AC efficiency is dry skin. I am getting more of that with the new machine that cools most of my day at home.
Quote:
Old 29th May 2019, 21:09   #6275
BANNED

I'm not able to make up my mind on Daikin split ac model, they have so many models & site isn't very helpful if we need to compare, anyone can recommend any daikin model which is available in 1.5 inverter or non inverter if they have purchased recently, Thanks!
Old 30th May 2019, 00:31   #6276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I'm not able to make up my mind on Daikin split ac model
sharing my research and dilemma. I am in the midst of deciding an ac for my bedroom. I moved my non inverter Daikin to a spare room and wanted an energy efficient 5 star model. I am keen on MHI for their new 2019 models with energy efficiency marginally lower than Daikin or matching or surpassing in the 1.5 to 2.3T inverter range. I was okay with Daikin 5 star inverter models FTKF50 and JTKJ50 both of which are super efficient 5 star 1.5T models. However on seeing them live, realized that these models have shrunk in the 10 years since I purchased my last Daikin. My current 2 Daikins are 104cms wide (indoor) and these new inverter ones are about 85cm. I then started looking at air flow and realized MHI like the Generals make high air flow models.
MHI are about 10% more expensive than Daikin but their airflow numbers are terrific. The airflow of the MHI inverter 1.5T is twice that of the Daikin.
I also looked at LG. LG is a good buy as it is on par with the Daikin in terms of cooling and is about 8-10k cheaper. It also has a wifi app to control and shows the temperature on the panel which the others do not.
Both Daikin and Lg have cash backs and zero EMI on Amazon and Croma. Incidentally Croma is cheaper than Amazon for these two.
MHI has no emis, no fancy features of mobile app or temp display etc but they are made out to be high performing machines and pack twice the punch in an equally small form factor. MHI 1.5t is 87cm while the 2.3T is 117cm wide.
LG offers 2 years warranty on the pcb board while Daikin and MHI are 1 year. LG also allows you to buy extended protection I think 4 years or maybe 5.
These were my parameters but I am still inclined to the MHI. Daikins 1.5T is the most efficient in India this year.
Old 30th May 2019, 08:48   #6277
BHPian

Question for the split AC gurus. I have a 1.5 Voltas 3 star split AC in my bedroom (installed in 2016). Its working perfectly fine with timely service being done.

Six months back i picked up a same spec AC from Voltas (different model- 183DZZ) and got it installed in the other room. Have noticed that there is a huge difference in the cooling effect of the new AC which is absolutely a chiller.

What could be the difference? I am aware that the new AC is more efficient as the energy ratings have changed from Jan 2018. But I am not able to understand how 2 AC's from the same manufacturer with the same spec have such vast difference in cooling. Also note that both rooms are of the same size.

Any advice in this regard will be helpful.
Old 30th May 2019, 09:16   #6278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
What could be the difference?
Some of the reasons could be lower gas in your older ac due to a minor leak somewhere. I had this issue with the Daikin in my bedroom as compared to the one in my kids room. Found a minor crack in the joint nut and an oil leak around that area indicating a gas leak. My room is east facing and that causes it to be hotter than the other room. Also felt that the ODU of my room being east facing also reduced the cooling to some extent. Final thing could be the settings on the ac itself. I've been here myself with the settings causing it to cool lesser than my other room.
Recently got the IDU of the Daikin kerosine and chemical washed and gas refilled and since then it became an absolute chiller.
Old 30th May 2019, 10:55   #6279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Question for the split AC gurus. I have a 1.5 Voltas 3 star split AC in my bedroom (installed in 2016). Its working perfectly fine with timely service being done.

Six months back i picked up a same spec AC from Voltas (different model- 183DZZ) and got it installed in the other room. Have noticed that there is a huge difference in the cooling effect of the new AC which is absolutely a chiller.

What could be the difference? I am aware that the new AC is more efficient as the energy ratings have changed from Jan 2018. But I am not able to understand how 2 AC's from the same manufacturer with the same spec have such vast difference in cooling. Also note that both rooms are of the same size.

Any advice in this regard will be helpful.
Newly installed AC have better cooling initially due to the following
. Both condensers are clean with no embedded dirt.
. Gas is full, no leaks
. More airflow, hence faster cooling

I had noticed in all my AC, that post cleaning the cooling increases a lot and then with time slowly decreases. The reason is dirt accumulation primarily in the ODU. Now I clean the ODU with a bucket or two of water twice a week (and boy is the water dirty), hence get perfect cooling.

OT
Regarding efficiency of the 5 star AC, Daikin in the 1.5T range has an advantage of (6.6 - 5.8) 0.6A at full blast. This is not enough to justify a price premium of at least 10K over LG, apart from the fact that LG has tremendous service network and excellent extended warranty plans.

Where Daikin lacks is in service plans and cost of repairs, the very areas LG has addressed.
Old 30th May 2019, 11:09   #6280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Newly installed AC have better cooling initially due to the following
. Both condensers are clean with no embedded dirt.
. Gas is full, no leaks
. More airflow, hence faster cooling
Aroy,

I live close to a cement factory and the general atmosphere here is very dusty which requires frequent cleaning.

If i get the above done, I suppose the problem should be resolved. Will get it done and update.

Thanks.

Last edited by aditya.86 : 30th May 2019 at 11:10. Reason: addl info
Old 30th May 2019, 14:39   #6281
Senior - BHPian

Can someone point me to a post which shows the DIY steps to clean the ODU ?
Old 30th May 2019, 15:36   #6282
Senior - BHPian

I clean my ODUs frequently myself. I bought a blower for 1200 odd bucks a few years ago and it's been a good buy.
What I do is first use the blower to get the bulk of the dry dust off. Then I use my plant pump sprayer filled with water in narrow stream nozzle setting an pumped to high pressure to wash off most of the dirt in the condenser coils. Then finally I use the blower again to blow off most of the water.
Also maybe 1-2 times I year when I remember I spray a light mix of APC and degreaser on the condenser and then wash it off.
My cooling usually drops off when the IDU blower fan gets caked in dust because of the built in Sharp plasma cluster unit that makes dust more sticky. This cleaning of the IDU I leave to my service guys who do it 4 times a year.
I have also started using the 3m AC filters to help reduce the amount of dust entering the AC
Old 30th May 2019, 22:38   #6283
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
sharing my research and dilemma. I am in the midst of deciding an ac for my bedroom. I moved my non inverter Daikin to a spare room and wanted an energy efficient 5 star model. I am keen on MHI for their new 2019 models with energy efficiency marginally lower than Daikin or matching or surpassing in the 1.5 to 2.3T inverter range. I was okay with Daikin 5 star inverter models FTKF50 and JTKJ50 both of which are super efficient 5 star 1.5T models. However on seeing them live, realized that these models have shrunk in the 10 years since I purchased my last Daikin. My current 2 Daikins are 104cms wide (indoor) and these new inverter ones are about 85cm. I then started looking at air flow and realized MHI like the Generals make high air flow models.
MHI are about 10% more expensive than Daikin but their airflow numbers are terrific. The airflow of the MHI inverter 1.5T is twice that of the Daikin.
I also looked at LG. LG is a good buy as it is on par with the Daikin in terms of cooling and is about 8-10k cheaper. It also has a wifi app to control and shows the temperature on the panel which the others do not.
Both Daikin and Lg have cash backs and zero EMI on Amazon and Croma. Incidentally Croma is cheaper than Amazon for these two.
MHI has no emis, no fancy features of mobile app or temp display etc but they are made out to be high performing machines and pack twice the punch in an equally small form factor. MHI 1.5t is 87cm while the 2.3T is 117cm wide.
LG offers 2 years warranty on the pcb board while Daikin and MHI are 1 year. LG also allows you to buy extended protection I think 4 years or maybe 5.
These were my parameters but I am still inclined to the MHI. Daikins 1.5T is the most efficient in India this year.
Thanks for the update, I will go tomorrow to look out for MHI, as for Daikin they have told me about - ATKL50TV which is 3 star inverter ac available for 37k with free installation along with 3 meter pipe, will also look for options available in General brand, Thanks!
Old 31st May 2019, 00:03   #6284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I will go tomorrow to look out for MHI
I just paid for the MHI SRK18YVS 1.5T 5 star inverter model today. Costs 54k without install in Chennai.
Old 31st May 2019, 14:06   #6285
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I just paid for the MHI SRK18YVS 1.5T 5 star inverter model today. Costs 54k without install in Chennai.
Is it just SRK18YVS or is it SRK18YVS-w6 and how much did they charge for installation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks