Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2020, 16:08   #6541
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
All that is true and I know it. My car AC is always set to 22: an actual temperature of 22 would make me uncomfortably cold.

You have missed the point that I am talking about the same machine, before and after repair, results based on thermometer reading. It has changed.

It doesn't matter. As I said, I'll recalibrate myself. But it used to be the only one of our machines where set temperature and resultant temperature were more or less aligned. Now it isn't. Less convenient.

Especially as I have to deal with my wife's extreme fussiness about being even a little bit too warm in the night!
I can understand how you feel on the temperature.

I have observed the same in my decade plus old LG split as well. The actual temperature is 2-3 degrees lower than what is set on the remote. I am now used to it.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 19:20   #6542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Previously, this machine was very "accurate." If you set the control at 25C, the room temperature would drop to 25C or very close. Now I seem to have to select one or two degrees less on the control to get the temperature I want. Maybe they replaced some electronic component with a different value?

Anyway, will recalibrate self to fit in. No point in trying to do anything else.
As far as I know the temperature sensor is placed at the air inlet of the fan. Depending on the location of the inlet (it is in front in some and at the top on my LG), that is what the thermostat senses as the room temperature.

The temperature in the rest of the room can vary a lot. For example if I set the temperature at 26, it is is 27 just below the AC and 28 across the room within an hour. Given sufficient time and air circulation it stabilises to 26 degrees across the whole room, but that can take anywhere between 2 and 5 hours, depending on whether the doors are kept closed and there is no heat leak from the ceiling.

To set the temperature exactly at a particular place in the room the censor has to be located at that point and not on the AC. We have to live with it and compensate by keeping the thermostat at a different setting. The only problem with that is that at night when there is no movement in the room, the temperature will stabilise in the whole room, and come down to that set, so for night setting if there is a facility set the thermostat at the temperature you want.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 11:00   #6543
BHPian

After much deliberations and research as well as the inputs from this thread, purchased two 1.5 Ton 3 star inverter split ACs from DAIKIN FTKL50TV16V models @ 36k each manufactured in Sep 19 batch.

link: https://www.daikinindia.com/products.../ftkl/3.5/ftkl

Accessories included claimed 3M but supplied bajaj nylon PM 2.5 filters.

No company guys were permitted inside so got it installed from mechanics inside apartments who did a fairly decent job of the installation.
SX4LOVER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 12:22   #6544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
I happened to search for the portable ACs and found that Bluestar has one.

They look convenient just because of their portability.
But my major concerns are:
1. Their cooling efficiency
2. Durability
3. Noise

Anyone happened to purchase/use the portable AC? (any manufacturer)
I would totally advise against it. A couple of years ago I bought a Delonghi portable AC (imported from Dubai) for a tiny room used occasionally as an office. The reason was that the existing split ac piping (already done inside the walls) was broken and we didn’t want to drill holes and put pipes outside. We figured that the 1.2 ton unit would be great for this tiny room. However, the unit barely cooled the room. It was also very noisy as the compressor in inside the room as opposed to outside in a split AC or at least outside the window for window ACs. Also the unit looks very cluttered and takes up a lot of space. You have the large main unit taking space inside the room, a long air vent pipe going from the unit to a window and a power cable going to the unit. This is very ungainly and takes up space all year unlike a split AC which is inconspicuous on a wall when not in use. So, in summary, they perform poorly, cost a lot and take up a lot of space. I ended up selling it for just 6k and got a 1 ton split inverter installed. The cooling is at least 5 times better now.
Lobogris is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 10:58   #6545
Senior - BHPian

What people fail to realise is that AC cools at one end and throws the heat from the other end (unlike a cooler that cools by evaporation only, hence no hot end). So if you have both the ends in the same room, it will not cool the room at all. All that you will get is the cold air blowing at you, but the rest of the room is getting hot. That is unless you have somehow managed to position the AC so that the rear is outside the room.

Portable AC is "Portable" to the extent that you do not have to fix it permanently, but it definitely requires to be positioned properly so that the rear heat exchanger is outside the room.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 18:10   #6546
Distinguished - BHPian

Just like the heat that fridges give off in the kitchen!

I had thought that (some?) portable units vent hot hair through a pipe to an outlet, like some clothes driers. But, thinking about it, that would require drawing air from the room through the hot side. The machine would be cooling itself
Old 20th May 2020, 14:24   #6547
BHPian

Hello Guys,
I am planning to replace my 1.5 ton Voltas Split AC due to decreased cooling and bit noisy fan. It served well for 7-8 years and seems it is end of its life.

I am confused between O'Genral, Mitsubishi and Daikin. Can anyone suggest me which is the best out of these. I want 1.5 ton unit for my bedroom and max budget is 80-90k.

Checked Mitsubishi MSY-GRT (5-star) online priced at 77k not sure about Daikin and O'General since their price is not listed on their respective website. Is there something else to look at other than these, thanks in advance.

Last edited by roby_dk : 20th May 2020 at 14:27.
Old 20th May 2020, 14:59   #6548
Distinguished - BHPian

90k budget for a 3* 1.5T split air conditioner is quite a bit over the top in my opinion. I say 3* because One needs to check the savings against the upfront price for a 5 star unit.

Apart from General and Mitsubishi, I would rate Hitachi lineup quite good. A good unit will be in the price bracket of 50-60K tops. With discounts, it can be had for around 50K definitely. Daikin, though still good, and possibly almost equal to Hitachi, now is a shadow of its great past. Their smaller indoor units remain a suspect for less airflow in comparison to bigger IDUs of the other brands we spoke about. Experts may throw some light on the smaller IDU concept though.

Last edited by saket77 : 20th May 2020 at 15:02.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 15:34   #6549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
90k budget for a 3* 1.5T split air conditioner is quite a bit over the top in my opinion. I say 3* because One needs to check the savings against the upfront price for a 5 star unit.
I guess 5* will be better than 3* and I checked online the price of 5* Mitsubishi seems to be around 80k hence I assume General and Daikin will also fall in same price range. Since it is one time investment for 7-8 years planning for the best in market.

Compared the refrigerant too with other brands it has R32 which is new in market and is more nature friendly i.e less impact on ozone layer.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-untitled.jpg  

roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 15:50   #6550
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
90k budget for a 3* 1.5T split air conditioner is quite a bit over the top in my opinion. I say 3* because One needs to check the ..
Daikin India built ac are extremely poor quality. I have four of them inhouse and all top shelf models with inbuilt air purifier inbuilt , inverter etc.They are not even a shadow of models which were imported. I will truly suggest avoid Daikin India at all costs. Also the smaller IDU and ODU are using microfin technology which choke up faster and have lesser air throw and need pressure washing two times a year. In imported one it is required once every two years.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 20:37   #6551
Senior - BHPian

What is the average life of an air conditioner? Like we mostly replace our cars around 10 years mark, I was wondering if the same principle will be applicable for air conditioners. A couple of air conditioners (split ac) at home are more than 12 years old, the oldest one being crossing 14 years this season. Though there are no issues as such, they still cool well, doesn't seem to be power-hungry as per electricity bills, no rusting on the outer body or any major issue!
Old 20th May 2020, 21:38   #6552
BHPian

I have a Panasonic 1.5 ton non inverter ac which is 3 years old. It is working well but now-a-days when I manually switch is off after running it for say 15 to 20 minutes, the ODU makes a strange grinding sound that continues intermittently for a few seconds. Like a low long drawn out grinding noise. It is working well otherwise with the inlet air showing a temperature of 14C in 43C Delhi heat in a very large room with enormous glass windows on both sides. Earlier it used to switch off on its own as it was cooler and I never heard this noise but now it never cuts out even when set to 30 as it is much hotter so I switch it off manually every so often and that is when I hear this noise. I wonder if anyone else has heard such noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
What people fail to realise is that AC cools at one end and throws the heat from the other end (unlike a cooler that cools by evaporation only, hence no hot end). So if you have both the ends in the same room, it will not cool the room at all. All that you will get is the cold air blowing at you, but the rest of the room is getting hot. That is unless you have somehow managed to position the AC so that the rear is outside the room..
They do have a large hose that throws out the hot air. You have to position this hose to vent the air outside by attaching it to a window. The hose is flexible and can be extended about 10 feet. See this as an example:
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-a05e82c646464ebfbfd067a2edf1f3f8.jpeg  

Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 21:39   #6553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Though there are no issues as such, they still cool well, doesn't seem to be power-hungry as per electricity bills, no rusting on the outer body or any major issue!
Then why the hell are you jinxing them?

I have noticed my 10 year old window AC making a lot more noise. I cannot calculate if its consuming more power or not, but I will replace it this summer.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 10:32   #6554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Hello Guys,
I am planning to replace my 1.5 ton Voltas Split AC due to decreased cooling and bit noisy fan. It served well for 7-8 years and seems it is end of its life.

I am confused between O'Genral, Mitsubishi and Daikin. Can anyone suggest me which is the best out of these. I want 1.5 ton unit for my bedroom and max budget is 80-90k.

Checked Mitsubishi MSY-GRT (5-star) online priced at 77k not sure about Daikin and O'General since their price is not listed on their respective website. Is there something else to look at other than these, thanks in advance.
The build of current generation AC is flimsier than what was the norm 10 years ago. Steel has been replaced with plastic and many plastic parts are delicate and break (mostly while servicing). With higher efficiency come closer spacing of the fins of heat exchangers, and that results in more frequent clogging with dust, especially if some water is mixed it creates fin clogging mud.

Hence the service requirements have become critical for the well being and longevity of an AC. With that in mind I always recommend buying AC which have the best and least expensive after sales service in your area. LG and a few other brands have a comprehensive extended warranty - all parts and labour included, and with modern Inverter AC where a board repair can cost 10K, the 5 year extended warranty is worth every penny.

I have Hitachi, Daikin and LG with me. Hitachi bought 12 years ago was robust but service is extremely patchy. The Daikin bought 7 years ago developed a MB problem and I was quoted 10k+ without any warranty for repair. I am still mulling over it. After the disillusionment with premium brands I bough LG 5 star dual inverter with 5 years extended warranty 1.5T two years ago and 2T 3* last year. With 15K per AC for extended warranty I get
. 2 services per year
. unlimited calls for repairs
. All labour free
. All parts (except for some plastics) free including gas, condensers etc.

I believe some more manufacturers have started similar schemes. So you had best investigate the various offers and warranty schemes before buying.

In my opinion paying extra for premium brand AC is no longer worth is as the appliance wellbeing depends solely on after sales service quality.

NOTE

With Covid19 and a general economic slump, you should get excellent deals in Air Conditioners both online as well as offline. Just be patient and negotiate relentlessly. Things are not selling and the dealers will be glad to move merchandise at any cost.
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 13:20   #6555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
With Covid19 and a general economic slump, you should get excellent deals in Air Conditioners both online as well as offline. Just be patient and negotiate relentlessly. Things are not selling and the dealers will be glad to move merchandise at any cost.
Got a good deal on Mitsubishi from its showroom in Dwarka, Delhi. Original price was 77500 final deal was closed on 58000. 1.5 Ton Tropical series of Mitsubishi with operating range upto 52 degrees. Only this particular series as per him is even better than General.

Need a 2.5 ton for hall and will consider Samsung or LG as they have Triple and Dual inverter technology the latest one in market.

Last edited by roby_dk : 21st May 2020 at 13:21.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks