Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2021, 01:26   #6826
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Oh its pretty good. For venting, the company provides hardware for sliding doors/windows. Im using that
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
How is the portable AC unit doing ? Would be good to get your feedback based on your experience of 1-2 years. Also, how does the venting work ? Have you made provision via one or more windows in the rooms where you use the unit ?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 17:34   #6827
BHPian

I got a LG window 5* 1.5T inverter installed in my bedroom today. Comes with 5 year PCB and 10 years compressor warranty. Haven't opted for the extended warranty yet. Not too sure how successful has been the new range of window inverter ACs. Anyone who has it installed has some feedback ? The DB ratings are 10-15% lower than rotary compressor window units and as per the prevalent advice, the capacity is more than what's needed for my room. So hopeful that the AC will be able to work in the maximum efficiency range.
Will use for some more days and I might be able to post a honest feedback myself.

I've always used fans with AC only, no blankets required. If the tonnage is correct for the room, a fan speed of 1-2 with 25C has always been my sweet spot. While sleeping, sleep mode ensures that i wake up at 27C comfortably.
coldice4u is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 18:39   #6828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
I got a LG window 5* 1.5T inverter installed in my bedroom today. Comes with 5 year PCB and 10 years compressor warranty. Haven't opted for the extended warranty yet. Not too sure how successful has been the new range of window inverter ACs. Anyone who has it installed has some feedback ? The DB ratings are 10-15% lower than rotary compressor window units and as per the prevalent advice, the capacity is more than what's needed for my room. So hopeful that the AC will be able to work in the maximum efficiency range.
Will use for some more days and I might be able to post a honest feedback myself.

I've always used fans with AC only, no blankets required. If the tonnage is correct for the room, a fan speed of 1-2 with 25C has always been my sweet spot. While sleeping, sleep mode ensures that i wake up at 27C comfortably.
Hi, I have got 2 LG inverter 5 star AC's at home, both 1.5 T. One 3 years old and one 3 months old now. Both are amazing. Just regular cleaning and once a year wet wash will do.

I did not take the extended warranty with the second one too, these things don't fail so just did not bother as they were offering it for 10k which is a lot of money. This anyway comes with a compressor and PCB warranty, very little else can fail.

The power bills with both running in the night is hardly a dent.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 13:17   #6829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
I got a LG window 5* 1.5T inverter installed in my bedroom today. Comes with 5 year PCB and 10 years compressor warranty. Haven't opted for the extended warranty yet. Not too sure how successful has been the new range of window inverter ACs
Hi coldice4u. How has been your experience with the AC so far? I have been mulling over buying the same unit for over a month, but have been deferring it due to negative reviews on the internet. One of the youtubers has posted a video that the AC suddenly stops working. Did you face any such or any other issues so far?

One last query: will you recommend this model to other?
Old 18th April 2021, 21:03   #6830
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBond007 View Post
Hi coldice4u. How has been your experience with the AC so far? I have been mulling over buying the same unit for over a month, but have been deferring it due to negative reviews on the internet. One of the Youtubers has posted a video that the AC suddenly stops working. Did you face any such or any other issues so far?

One last query: will you recommend this model to other?
One of the shops told me this model is discontinued.. I don't know if LG changed their mind so be sure you are getting a current model. Few days ago, I bought a Mitsubishi 1.9 ton 5 star split ac for my hall. The AC is excellent in all respects and far better than all other brands I have used including General.
Old 26th April 2021, 12:41   #6831
tud
BHPian

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with Panasonic window ACs. Do they still have the quality of National-Panasonic or are they just surviving as another player. During the discussion and product evaluation, the AC performed brilliantly but I'm sure there is more to it.

Looking forward to replace 2 of our LG 1.5 ton window ACs. Any other recommendations from window AC users?
Old 26th April 2021, 13:04   #6832
BHPian

Need help in understanding the ac capacity needed in an appartment.
1) Bedroom with 148 sq ft. Window facing north which is facing an open field.
2) Bedroom with 187 sq ft. Window faces south which is a small open corridor from terrace (5th floor) to ground floor. The roof of this open space is covered with fiber. Direct sunlight may not fall.

This is in 2nd floor and there are total of 5 floors. Summer temperature in the area can cross 40C.

How to estimate the capacity needed with this info?
Old 26th April 2021, 13:09   #6833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
2) Bedroom with 187 sq ft. Window faces south which is a small open corridor from terrace (5th floor) to ground floor. The roof of this open space is covered with fiber. Direct sunlight may not fall.

This is in 2nd floor and there are total of 5 floors. Summer temperature in the area can cross 40C.

Since you do not have any hit from sun directly, 1.5Ton would be sufficient for both the bed rooms.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 19:38   #6834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post

Comfortable temperature is an individual thing. We prefer 25 degrees with fan, Russians will like 18 without fan. Still for Indians in India here is what I use :

1. 1T for every 1000 cubic feet
2. 1T for every 3KW electrical load
3. 1T for every 4 persons

This is additive, and for peak load conditions. So a room that is cold with 3 persons will be hot with 10 and unbearable with 15 persons.

This assumes that the temperature difference is 20 degrees (40 to 20)

Normally we use fan in India to get comfort at a higher temperature (25-27 degrees).

So you can have 1.5T and 1.75T (or 1.5R each at a pinch). The rooms may be hot during peak summer day, but comfortable during mornings and evening and cool during night.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 17:04   #6835
GTO
Team-BHP Support

One of my 2-year old Hitachis is falling apart! Went kaput for the 3rd time in a year. Sure, it has a 5-year warranty, but the sheer nuisance of letting outsiders into the house right now + standing by while its being repaired + 7 days of downtime on each breakdown etc. etc. is driving me up the wall.

Which is the "Toyota Innova" of split air-cons? Need a 1.5 ton.

- Reliability is of paramount importance.

- 5-year warranty, but would prefer company warranty. My Hitachis have that OnSiteGo warranty and I have found their work to be very shoddy.

- Please suggest make + model.

Thanks in advance
Old 29th April 2021, 17:48   #6836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
One of my 2-year old Hitachis is falling apart! Went kaput for the 3rd time in a year. Sure, it has a 5-year warranty, but the sheer nuisance of letting outsiders into the house right now + standing by while its being repaired + 7 days of downtime on each breakdown etc. etc. is driving me up the wall.

- 5-year warranty, but would prefer company warranty. My Hitachis have that OnSiteGo warranty and I have found their work to be very shoddy.

Thanks in advance
I have found Panasonic acs to be best in reliability and long life. We have three and they are all operating flawlessly for multiple years now. Only for one, we had to replace the outdoor unit capacitor after 8 years of use.
In my opinion if you want reliability and better cooling, go for R32 gas based 3 star ones. The higher 5 star ones use R410 gas which runs at high pressure and leaks very frequently. Also 5 star ones have complex pcbs which also fail earlier in Indian conditions.
This is one of the good models of Panasonic

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08436338Y/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Our experience has also been bad with Hitachi over the past 2 years and a high end Hot and cold 2T inverter Ac we bought from them has failed 4 times in the past 2 years. I used to like Hitachi products but their quality seems to have gone down drastically after their merger with Johnson Controls.

Last edited by Behemoth : 29th April 2021 at 18:13.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 17:56   #6837
BHPian

Quote:

If you are looking at non-inverters, just pick a Daiken up. Have heard of issues with their Inverter Ac's but I know of a lot of people using their Daikens for loooong time periods. I have 6 Daikens at home that perform the same today as they did 11 years ago.

If you are looking at Inverters, pick up a Mitsubishi (Heavy duty or Electric) . You can't go wrong with them. They are the "Toyota Innova". Problems are rare but they charge a premium upfront.

If you don't want to spend, the Voltas/Godrej duo also seldon give problems before the 6-7 year mark.

OT - If you have your own place, just invest in a central air- con system. Family and friends that made the jump have only good things to say.
Pratyush2407 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 18:00   #6838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance
In my opinion, LG is the Toyota Innova of the AC's. It may not be a premium brand but runs flawlessly. We have 3 LC split AC in our neighboring homes and all of them are working fine. The youngest one is 5 year old and the only one with inverter tech. Others are normal split. The 1.5Ton LG in my home is 12 Years old and has not given any trouble.

LG Service is excellent and they offer extended warranty as well.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 19:12   #6839
Senior - BHPian

I would go with Mitsubishi. These AC's are built to last
Quote:
Which is the "Toyota Innova" of split air-cons?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 19:41   #6840
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratyush2407 View Post
OT - If you have your own place, just invest in a central air- con system. Family and friends that made the jump have only good things to say.
Whats the approx. costing with respect to having 4-5 1.5T independent units in each room?

Most Viewed