Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2021, 00:57   #6976
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Mitsubishi Heavy or Electric?
Electric. We have now have three of their machines. Two inverter, one not.

This is the first problem, and it is also the first occasion when the service from the suppliers, with whom we took AMCs, has not been very prompt and effective.

Cooling, from all of our machines, after their pressure washes, is noticeably better, especially the now-getting-elderly Daikin which we bought used.
Old 5th September 2021, 11:36   #6977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Which model you bought and what was the final price you paid?
Window AC. Rs.44,500/ including Rs.8,375 for 4 years extended warranty. Cashback of Rs.3,000/ so NETT is Rs.41,500/

The home / office air-conditioner thread-rsc_5058.jpg

Split AC. Rs.55,200/ including Rs.8,259 for 4 years extended warranty. Cashback of Rs.3,000/ so NETT is Rs.52,200/ (Got a discount in AMC - 8K instead of 15k)

The home / office air-conditioner thread-rsc_5091.jpg

The scheme is 6 months EMI. The interest is paid back, but you have to bear GST on interest.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 14:52   #6978
BHPian

Needed to install a new Split AC at home and was thinking of zeroing in on a Daikin 1.5 ton, 5 star, Inverter type AC. The usage is pretty much year around & clocking in at about 6 - 7 hours daily.

Was trying to get a sense of the differentiation between the varying models on offer from the Daikin family and it certainly hasn't been a straight forward task. If one gets online and looks at the Daikin site, they have a total of 6 different series on offer: FTKR, JTKJ, FTKZ, FTKF,FTKG & FTKM

A person whose been in the trade for a while summed it up in simple words saying the FTKG series are the entry level offerings from Daikin, the FTKJ series are a bit more advanced & some are only for the retail stores. I called up a local store that easily sells the highest volumes in town (Rathna Fan house) & the sales chap who came on the phone said they sell only the FTKG and for the above spec there's a 4,000 difference between Amazon and the physical store (with Amazon being cheaper). And his take was the different series indicate different years. He didn't give any more info on the various series.

Any insight from anyone else whose done a deep dive on the same would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 9th October 2021, 12:03   #6979
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, loving the Mitsubishi split air-con recommended by some of you. But I am facing a peculiar problem.

I am very sensitive to room temperature and a big variance jolts me out of my sleep. I set the temperature at 24 in auto mode while sleeping last night. It cooled the room perfect and I was soon catching zzz's. But at 6 in the morning, I woke up sweating. The room was warm and because I was under a blanket, I was HOT!

Any probable causes or any settings I should change? AC is otherwise working flawlessly, but this happens once in 7 - 8 days or so.

Thanks.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 17:46   #6980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any probable causes or any settings I should change?
As a techie supremo, with experience of dozens of dashboards and their symbols, I doubt that you would have missed anything shown on the remote. But, just in in case...

Does your model have a sleep mode? I never used a sleep mode on any AC, because I don't see the point in it, but apparently, it lets the room get warmer as you sleep.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 18:50   #6981
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, loving the Mitsubishi split air-con recommended by some of you. But I am facing a peculiar problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... but apparently, it lets the room get warmer as you sleep.
My wife had the same experience, though to me it seemed like it was just time to wake up! Rarely use the AC here in Bangalore, it's the high humidity that bothers me more than the actual temperature.

Auto mode could be similar to AI mode (LG) where an algorithm supposedly decides the ideal room temperature based on some studies of human body temperatures during sleep. Checked the LG site, and though they mention "Artificial Intelligence" in their video, they are actually calling it A1 (A-one) or auto mode. They also allow you to set it to be colder or warmer than the normal (+2 coldest,+1, 0 or normal, -1, and - 2 warmest) to personalize the temperatures somewhat. I don't think it is working too well for GTO (that's possibly why they don't want to stress that AI part too much)
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 21:08   #6982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Does your model have a sleep mode? I never used a sleep mode on any AC, because I don't see the point in it, but apparently, it lets the room get warmer as you sleep.
My 2007 model Samsung window unit had a sleep mode and I had used it occasionally. It will set the temperature at 21, and then raise it one degree every 90 minutes or so. By the time one wakes up the temperature will be about 27 degrees,
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 22:37   #6983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Samsung unit sleep mode.
Yes, I’ve heard of this intelligent sleep mode.

Wouldn’t GTO’s AC show the current temperature at a higher degree relative to the temperature set the night before, if it was on the intelligent sleep mode?

Does your Samsung unit show a higher temperature in the morning compared to the temperature that was set the night before or, does it show the night temperature please?
GTsunny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 11:12   #6984
Senior - BHPian

In my case I do not use auto mode. I set the temperature initially at 25, then at night to 26 and finally to 27. If the room cools below 27 at night the compressor switches off, other wise the temperature remains very comfortable.

The sleep mode in modern AC does increase the temperature slowly and depending on the algorithm may raise the room temperature too high for comfort.
Old 10th October 2021, 20:35   #6985
Distinguished - BHPian

My bedroom AC is set at 26, sometimes 25 for wife. Not an inverter machine, and nothing auto on the temperature. But thinking about GTO's post, I realise that I feel warmer in the morning than before going to sleep.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 09:59   #6986
BHPian

Quote:
I am very sensitive to room temperature and a big variance jolts me out of my sleep. I set the temperature at 24 in auto mode while sleeping last night. It cooled the room perfect and I was soon catching zzz's. But at 6 in the morning, I woke up sweating. The room was warm and because I was under a blanket, I was HOT!

Any probable causes or any settings I should change? AC is otherwise working flawlessly.
As others have said, in the Auto mode, your AC slowly raises the temperature as the time goes. The logic is human body core temperature drops before the sleep and slowly rises towards the morning. So Air conditioners try to give you a better subjective comfort by lowering the temp during the night and increase the temp slowly towards morning in Auto or sleep modes.
The keyword here is subjective. Your body core temperature depends a lot on so many factors - periods if you are a female, activity level before sleep, ambient temperature and humidity and so on. The AC CPUs and the algo they use is not perfect as they do not monitor all the variables.

The bottom line is switch to Cool mode and you cut out all the crappy software that supposedly gives you a good sleep. You have control over the temperature this way. Take control on how you want to sleep. Don't rely on a sliver of silicon to do the thinking for you - in AC alone of course.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 07:22   #6987
BHPian

PCB of my Panasonic inverter 1.5 ton AC bought in 2014, gave up recently. The replacement cost for the PCB is 14000/-!!. Being a small town, on enquiry, I find there is nobody nearby who will repair the PCB. When I bought this inverter, I had also bought a non inverter split Panasonic AC for another room. This one is still working fine.
So I thought of buying a new AC. My requirement is mostly in summer months and mostly at night. For this requirement, most of the sales advisers at shops are recommending non-inverter split ACs as the PCB failure is apparently common in Inverter ACs.
What is the advise of tbhp experts? Inverter or non inverter ACs for occasional use..
Thanks in advance
Old 30th October 2021, 11:31   #6988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
PCB of my Panasonic inverter 1.5 ton AC bought in 2014, gave up recently. The replacement cost for the PCB is 14000/-!!. Being a small town, on enquiry, I find there is nobody nearby who will repair the PCB. When I bought this inverter, I had also bought a non inverter split Panasonic AC for another room. This one is still working fine.
So I thought of buying a new AC. My requirement is mostly in summer months and mostly at night. For this requirement, most of the sales advisers at shops are recommending non-inverter split ACs as the PCB failure is apparently common in Inverter ACs.
What is the advise of tbhp experts? Inverter or non inverter ACs for occasional use..
Thanks in advance
I bought 4 LG Inverter AC in the last 4 years. The reason is

1. LG Extended service plan for around 8K (after discounts) for total of 5 years. This will take care of everything except a few plastic parts. Plus two free services a year.

2. LG Mother board is around 7K (made in India) according to the service personnel. In contrast my Daikin MB was 15K+ as it is imported.

3. The Inverter AC really reduces power requirement. For example the 1.5T AC starts with 8A in turbo cool mode, then after 1/2 hour goes to 5.6A. After the room cools it is between 3.5A and 2.4A depending on outside temperature. At night it goes down to between 1.1A and 0.5A. If the weather is cool enough the compressor switches off and consumption is 0. All the figures are using LG smart diagnostic App, and verified from the mains power meter. If any one is interested I can show the saved outputs.

So, if the LG service is good at your location go for LG Inverter. Otherwise a simple split AC should do, but power consumption will be much more. In this case a locally assembled (if available) is your best option as the assembler will be able to maintain it for a decade or more.

Last edited by Aroy : 30th October 2021 at 11:34.
Old 30th October 2021, 11:36   #6989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
most of the sales advisers at shops are recommending non-inverter split ACs as the PCB failure is apparently common in Inverter ACs
I am owning inverter aircons for the past nine years, presently have the (O)General 2 ton. I have never had any PCB problems so far, maybe I am lucky, I don't know.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 04:06   #6990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The room was warm and because I was under a blanket, I was HOT!
Are you always under a blanket? You don't really need one at 24 degrees. A quality cotton sheet or pull over is sufficient.

If your aircon is also a heat pump, the auto mode can switch between Cool, Fan and Heat, depending on the temperature in the room. Ideally; you want it to just cool (the snow flake symbol).

Its also possible your body was just warmer that particular morning than it usually is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks