Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2022, 21:20   #7051
BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

I have a problem with my 1.5T inverter ac. No matter what temperature I set, we either feel too cold or too warm at night. After a lot of trials and tribulations, I have made peace with the fact that I will have to wake up different times at night to up/down the temperature.

Here is what I think is happening. It is the draft of air that is the culprit. Most of us have the fans directed at us and during the period the room is getting to the set temperature (say 27 deg), the AC is throwing in air much colder than that. We mostly like it as we just came from a hot room and when the room temperature hits 25, the compressor stops (yes inverter ACs included). This is when you start feeling hot. Now you would pick up the remote and reduce the temp to 26 or 25, and the compressor starts again.

Now what happens if the compressor is not able to keep up with the temperature set? You get a cold draft of air all throughout the night. And you'd wake up freezing in the middle of the night. Also, say if you set the room to say 24 degs and say after a couple of hours the set temp is reached and the room is cool enough for you. This lasts only for a few minutes. Soon the temperature is going to drop and the compressor starts again throwing a draft of air at you. Within no time the draft of air will start freezing you.

Conclusion: Draft of air not directed at you can help have a more uniform experience. Also make sure that the ceiling fan is not directing the cold air towards you.
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 22:50   #7052
Distinguished - BHPian

Sure. The air coming from the AC will be colder. I never want to be in the draught: what I want is for the air temperature in the room to be right.

Sometimes my wife complains that the AC is cooling the opposite wall. Literally, she is right: that wall and door are very cold --- while the bed, and the temperature around it, it comfortable.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 23:27   #7053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sure. The air coming from the AC will be colder. I never want to be in the draught: what I want is for the air temperature in the room to be right.

Sometimes my wife complains that the AC is cooling the opposite wall. Literally, she is right: that wall and door are very cold --- while the bed, and the temperature around it, it comfortable.
A fan running at 1st or 2nd speed will help mitigate this problem. Cold air will get circulated due to the fan and you will have uniform cooling in the room.

No matter what people say about it being a bad idea to run fan while air conditioner is running, I make sure the fan is running no matter what. It really does help in evening out the temperature in the room with the AC on.
Rshrey22 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 00:16   #7054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBond007 View Post
There is a weird buzzing sound coming from my brand new Sanyo AC compressor. What could be the reason for the sound? Link
I would say that it is the sound of cheap chinese compressors used in cheap ac. I have observed this in Voltas and cheap Hitachi inverter air conditioners. Does your Sanyo ac has 5 years guarantee on compressor? It's another sign of that cheap compressor! But don't fret, its normal for these ACs.

Regarding people who are discounting the facts about repairability of inverter ACs, I have junked three inverter ACs so I can shed some light on this issue.
First fact is that PCB of inverter ACs will almost certainly go bad.
Next fact is that currently in Delhi my ac guy charges ₹5k for repairing inverter PCB with only one month guarantee. And you can be sure that repaired PCB will not last the distance. Next fact is that new inverter PCBs cost approx 10k on average with only one month guarantee and you can never be sure that whether your repair guy is installing a new PCB or just another old but working PCB from a junked ac!
Next fact is the SOP regarding repairs of inverter AC. If there is a gas leakage in inverter AC then AC guy will first repair that leak and then try to run ac. If in this step he finds out that PCB is kaput then he will charge you for gas leak repair + PCB repair which comes to around 9k with only 3 months guarantee for repairs and even then there are next steps before repairs can be concluded. For example after PCB is installed there are chances that there are subsequential damages from damaged PCB like there are chances of damages to the motor or even compressor. Or there is a chance that repaired PCB or even new pcb can fry again at the time of installation of PCB.
I have faced this problem in three ac where indoor unit coil was beyond repair and PCB was also damaged making me junk these ACs.
In one AC I am running a repaired PCB for past 6 months. Let's see how long this repaired PCB last.
neeraj0272 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 07:21   #7055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Regarding people who are discounting the facts about repairability of inverter ACs, I have junked three inverter ACs so I can shed some light on this issue.
First fact is that PCB of inverter ACs will almost certainly go bad.

In one AC I am running a repaired PCB for past 6 months. Let's see how long this repaired PCB last.
+1 to this. My carrier inverter ac which was purchased in 2017 March has gone kaput. It was working normally a couple of week ago. I called the Urban Clap guy who opened it and said the ODU PCB has burnt. But he was not able to take it out for repair due to some other communication connectors welded onto the board.
I called carrier AC guys and they said they will send it for repair. If possible it will be repaired costing 3-4k (IC should not have burnt) or I will have to purchase a new PCB board costing 12k. Awaiting his response.
It is ridiculous how companies build such poorly fabricated Inverter AC PCBs which cost so much. The cost of replacement mitigates the so called electricity savings due to the inverter ac. I have learnt my lesson. Any future AC I buy will be fixed speed rotary compressor (which are now about 10% of ACs available in the market) or ACs which come with PCB warranty for 5 years. Am seriously considering filing a case in the consumer court against these cheating appliance companies.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 19:05   #7056
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
A fan running at 1st or 2nd speed will help mitigate this problem. Cold air will get circulated due to the fan and you will have uniform cooling in the room.
It isn't something I see as a problem, whereas the fan would create one for me. I hate sitting or sleeping in a direct draught.

What I do do, in a room that has become very hot, is to put the AC on full power and use the fan to help mix the air in the room. Faster cooling, corner to corner.
Old 1st April 2022, 20:18   #7057
BHPian

When I bought my first car in the start of the millennia, people warned me against buying a variant with power steering - said it will be difficult to repair if something goes wrong, and you would have to take it to ASS as no local shops would touch it. And in the last 20 years, I have heard people talk against power windows, turbochargers, alloy wheels, autoboxes, DSG, sunroof and what not.

In our cars, when something goes wrong, we replace it. Gone are the days when you used to repair it. Do you repair a ECU? No, you replace it. I think if an AC works fine for 5 years, its better to replace it, not repair it. That AC that I bought 5 years ago would be drawing twice the power of a modern unit.

PS: My 5 year old AC is still running fine, but am looking to replace it with a new one (and move this to a spare room) when I find a good deal in FK.
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 20:44   #7058
Distinguished - BHPian

The older stuff is the longer it lasts!

Our bought-used Daikin: age unknown, but might be 10-15 years. It wouldn't surprise me if it outlives our other, much younger, much more expensive (to us) ACs!

Off-topic perhaps, but we replaced a chimney fan this weekend. The original is a beautiful, cast, combined motor and air inlet outlet. The new one is a piece of sheet work.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 19:23   #7059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBond007 View Post
There is a weird buzzing sound coming from my brand new Sanyo AC compressor. What could be the reason for the sound?
Seems like a normal sound of an operational compressor. I have heard it in virtually all ACs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I can't say, but I would have thought that compressors on inverter ACs should be able to turn off, as in no cooling needed. The controller would then turn them on again, at a low RPM, voiding the spike of starting up to full speed.Comments?
Yes. Inverter AC do turn off the compressor when needed. It happens less often compared to non inverter ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ I have a 3 star Whirlpool inverter ac in the bedroom, and the outdoor unit is placed just outside the window. During night times I can hear the out door unit's fan stop and start from time to time. I don't know how it will do that if the compressor keeps on running continuously.
Inverter ACs do shut off the compressor when needed. They do it less often, that’s all. If you set the temperature to say 28 or 30 and the outside is not too hot, the compressor would turn off quite often.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 23:19   #7060
BHPian

I'm planning to buy a 1 ton inverter split AC for the kitchen. It will be used 3 months in the year for maybe 2-3 hours per day. Is it worth getting a 5 star model or would a 3 or 4 star suffice? Not sure whether the extra initial investment for the 5 star is really worth it considering the low useage.

Any thoughts from the experts on this? Also any recommended brands considering the low useage? Thank you.

Last edited by s4ch : 3rd April 2022 at 23:20.
Old 4th April 2022, 02:19   #7061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
I'm planning to buy a 1 ton inverter split AC for the kitchen. It will be used 3 months in the year for maybe 2-3 hours per day. Is it worth getting a 5 star model or would a 3 or 4 star suffice? Not sure whether the extra initial investment for the 5 star is really worth it considering the low useage.

Any thoughts from the experts on this? Also any recommended brands considering the low useage? Thank you.
I have also thought of getting an AC for the kitchen but I believe that the modern units will get clogged very fast due to the grease in the air that's common.
According to me it makes sense to get one of those tower ACs on a trolley and run it from just outside the kitchen blowing air in and draining into a nearby bathroom.
I guess other members would provide their feedback.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 10:56   #7062
Senior - BHPian

I think I have discussed the power and temparature range of my LG 5 star inverter, but here it goes again.

. An inverter AC ramps up the speed slowly (4 min in my case) from 0 to max.
. An inverter AC can deliver upto 125% of rated cooling for 1/2 hour or so.
. As the room cools the Inverter AC will slow down to match the heat build up in the room with cooling power of the AC.
. If the room temperature cools below the set amount and the outside temperature is also low the compressor does switch off till the temperature in the room rises.

How do I know?

. I use the LG AC diagnostic app on the phone that dumps the current state - temperatures (ODU, Outlet at IDU and at the cooling coil), current drawn, fan speed etc.
. I have used this app at various times - startup, after 10 min, and then every hour.
. Start up : .1A
. Full blast at high cool : 8A
. After the temperature stabilises on a hot hay : 5.6A
. At night : down to 2.4A
. On a cool night : 1A
. Cold night 0 - compressor off

The temperature control is quite good. What you have to realise is that initially the air at out let is at 10 degrees or lower. It will slowly increase to 18 degrees, but will always be 4 to 5 degree below the set temperature. During day or at the beginning you do not feel the low temperature fo the IDU, but as the room cools down and the whole room attains the set temperature, this cold air will be felt, that is how most AC work.

The workaround this apparent anomaly is :

. Use sleep mode if available, it will increase the temperature after a few hours.
. Use ceiling fan at lowest speed and set the AC at 25-27 degrees.
. If the night is going to be cold, the compressor will anyway switch off, but the room temperature should be maintained.

Will post the screen shots after using the app (seem to have lost the old images)
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 11:20   #7063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post

Conclusion: Draft of air not directed at you can help have a more uniform experience. Also make sure that the ceiling fan is not directing the cold air towards you.
Here is what I suggest. Align the AC vent so that it is parallel to the floor and throwing air parallel to the ground. Now switch on the fan at the lowest speed. This will spread the cool air coming out uniformly across the room. This worked for me. Might work for you as well
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 13:02   #7064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Here is what I suggest. Align the AC vent so that it is parallel to the floor and throwing air parallel to the ground.
This is exactly I am doing at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Now switch on the fan at the lowest speed. This will spread the cool air coming out uniformly across the room. This worked for me. Might work for you as well
Based on the suggestions here, even I have started using ceiling fan along with AC since last couple of years and I am quite happy with the flow. One question though, why are you suggesting the fan speed to be lowest? In my case, I set it to 2 or 3.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 14:31   #7065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
One question though, why are you suggesting the fan speed to be lowest? In my case, I set it to 2 or 3.
Because, i found the lowest speed provides a soothing uniform cooling compared to higher speed.

It also depends on the size of the room, position of the bed , position of the indoor unit. Whatever works for you the best!
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks