Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2022, 04:25   #7171
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
If copper tubing is failing in just two years (supposed to last a lifetime), its a sign of poor material quality. Surprising for a brand like Carrier.
Or a sign of bad brazing of the joints. A local man should braze (maybe he might call it weld) the leaks: the manufacture should replace the affected part.

I also feel that Rshrey22 should explore warranty part replacement. It costs nothing to try. Except, maybe, a few days of AC. Warranty is not free: it is built into the purchase price. Use it!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 12:40   #7172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
My 2 year old Carrier window unit has developed a gas leak. My ac technician is suggesting coating the copper pipes with Araldite Epoxy adhesive after repair and refilling of gas.

Although he is very confident about it, I am rather sceptical. Is this a common thing ? I've heard of this for the first time. I am slightly worried that the epoxy might crack when the coils cool down.

Has anyone ever gotten their ACs coated with epoxy before? Please suggest if I should go on with it or not.
Do you have a sewage drains nearby your house? Do ACs generally go bad in your area? If that is the case then nothing will resolve this issue but if it isn't the case then this looks like a manufacturing defect. I don't think Carrier gives any warranty beyond 1 year on their cooling coils. Coating may help to a certain extent. You can of course get it repaired but generally cooling coils can't be repaired more than 2 times.

Where I live ACs go bad every other year and the thickness of cooling coil in newer ACs is only getting thinner so best is to buy a brand that gives comprehensive AMCs (like LG) and enjoy worry-free summer days.
fine69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 20:49   #7173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Do you have a sewage drains nearby your house? Do ACs generally go bad in your area? If that is the case then nothing will resolve this issue but if it isn't the case then this looks like a manufacturing defect. I don't think Carrier gives any warranty beyond 1 year on their cooling coils. Coating may help to a certain extent. You can of course get it repaired but generally cooling coils can't be repaired more than 2 times.

Where I live ACs go bad every other year and the thickness of cooling coil in newer ACs is only getting thinner so best is to buy a brand that gives comprehensive AMCs (like LG) and enjoy worry-free summer days.
I don't have any drains near my house, but the ac was run on 16 for like 8-12 hours daily during the heatwave in Delhi (temps around 44-48 °c) . I guess that was a little too much for this 1 ton unit.

Update to my Carrier AC problem. I went ahead with the Araldite jugaad. The coil was first repaired from where the leak was detected. Then coils were completely coated with araldite (not the fins, just pipes). It took 1 hour to completely coat the coils twice. Gas was charged as per specifications.

The ac has been working fine for past 2-3 days. Still running at 16 since heatwave here doesn't want to leave. Let's see how long this fix lasts.

The room is 75sqft which I primarily use as a study room or a crib for chilling alone.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th June 2022 at 21:18. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 13:32   #7174
BHPian

Guys,

My 4-year-old 1.5T Daikin Inverter AC's PCB has gone kaput, it is surprising for me considering the AC wasn't used for the past 3-4 months as I was not at home. I reached out to various distributors and all of them have quoted absurd waiting periods for the part to arrive. The current ETA is about a month.

Is there any way I can reach out to folks higher in the value chain and procure the part ASAP? It's 33degrees in Lucknow and it's tough to make do without it.

Also, I feel the durability of Daikin ACs has significantly reduced. All my other ACs have some or the other niggling issues that I would typically face with other brands in the 7th/8th year.
Aaroah is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 07:28   #7175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroah View Post
Is there any way I can reach out to folks higher in the value chain and procure the part ASAP?
Do you have access to a electronics repair engineer? Someone capable of working at a component level. If you do, take the pcb out and show it to them. It should be possible to fix it. Some relay or fuse on the circuit board must have failed.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 10:33   #7176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

My 4-year-old 1.5T Daikin Inverter AC's PCB has gone kaput, it is surprising for me considering the AC wasn't used for the past 3-4 months as I was not at home. I reached out to various distributors and all of them have quoted absurd waiting periods for the part to arrive. The current ETA is about a month.

Is there any way I can reach out to folks higher in the value chain and procure the part ASAP? It's 33degrees in Lucknow and it's tough to make do without it.

Also, I feel the durability of Daikin ACs has significantly reduced. All my other ACs have some or the other niggling issues that I would typically face with other brands in the 7th/8th year.
There are a lot of service centres that repair these mother boards. You can contact them.

On the other hand I would advise you to junk it and get a new AC. We had the same problem and got it repaired for 12K. It worked for less than a year and then went kaput, so we sold it off.

By the way when we tired to get the mother board Daikin quoted 25K+, so we gave up that idea. How much are they quoting in Lucknow?
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 18:31   #7177
Distinguished - BHPian

We had a board repair done for our bought-used Daikin, which might be as much as 15 years old and they then fixed one minor fault with it at no further cost.

This machine might be indestructible! Absolutely true that they don't make them like they used to!

It's a 1.5 ton machine in a small bedroom, and I'm ready to replace it with a 1 ton inverter machine, but it is carrying on stubbornly. I'm sure it uses heaps of electricity compared to a modern 5-* machine, but hey, it will die when it's time comes and not before.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 19:36   #7178
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Doesn't Daikin have 5 years warranty on the PCB? My brother bought a 1.5 ton Daikin split AC last summer and if I remember correctly, it came with a 5 year warranty on the PCB.
Candy$Cars is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 22:45   #7179
PGA
BHPian

I have recently got a 10x10x10 feet cold room installed at my farm for short duration storing of fresh vegetables after harvesting. The room is able to maintain temperature of 5 deg C using a conventional 2 ton room air conditioner. The window type ac installed is Hitachi make, model Kaze.

Now herein lies the mystery as to how is a conventional window type commercial grade ac able to lower the room temperature to 5 degC.

The project was partly supported by Govt and was installed by a company chosen by the Govt dept. My enquiry with company to understand as to how is it technically possible to achieve such low temperature met with a stock answer that its a trade secret. What I know is that no hardware mods have been carried out on the ac. The company has installed a small controller/processor to the controller unit of ac which also contains a sim relaying all the running data to the company.

I was looking at some pointers as to how the whole thing functions.
Old 2nd July 2022, 01:07   #7180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
I have recently got a 10x10x10 feet cold room installed at my farm for short duration storing of fresh vegetables after harvesting. The room is able to maintain temperature of 5 deg C using a conventional 2 ton room air conditioner. The window type ac installed is Hitachi make, model Kaze.

Now herein lies the mystery as to how is a conventional window type commercial grade ac able to lower the room temperature to 5 degC.

The project was partly supported by Govt and was installed by a company chosen by the Govt dept. My enquiry with company to understand as to how is it technically possible to achieve such low temperature met with a stock answer that its a trade secret. What I know is that no hardware mods have been carried out on the ac. The company has installed a small controller/processor to the controller unit of ac which also contains a sim relaying all the running data to the company.

Does the room have insulated walls? I guess it might be as it is a cold storage room. Refrigeration is an interplay of 2 things, air conditioning and insulation. If you are able to minimize the entry of heat to a system while giving a continuous cold input, the temp will go down, all the way to the temperature of air being blown from the ac itself theoretically.

Mind you, heat always enters a system, cold does not leave as heat is a form of energy as per thermodynamics.
The room must have some sort of insulation in the walls which minimize entry of heat to the room.
Rshrey22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 07:50   #7181
BHPian

Quote:

Very interesting post. While I would be really interested in knowing the real answer, since a refrigerator with a huge 2 ton compressor could achieve similar results, but I have a bunch of questions for you, instead.

Did you observe if they changed the refrigerant?
Did they tweak / change the thermostat?
Did you notice if the fan/compressor speed different from before?
Did they change any valves in the refrigerant circuit?

To me, these are the possible variables to play with.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 2nd July 2022 at 08:14.
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 08:03   #7182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsunny View Post
Yes, I’ve heard of this intelligent sleep mode.

Wouldn’t GTO’s AC show the current temperature at a higher degree relative to the temperature set the night before, if it was on the intelligent sleep mode?

Does your Samsung unit show a higher temperature in the morning compared to the temperature that was set the night before or, does it show the night temperature please?
Sorry I missed this. The temperature indication also increased. It used to show 21 when we set the sleep mode, and 27 in the morning.

I had to replace the unit after twelve years, and did so with an inverter split unit. I wish I went for another normal window unit.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:42   #7183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All that is needed is for the thremostat to be tweaked to allow a different operating range compared to the normal 'room' airconditioner mode, the remote control for which will not allow the temperature to be set any lower than about 15°C.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 11:16   #7184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The home / office air-conditioner thread-59e4396e426a693c7b0ddf4af9c6446b.jpg

AC can go really low as the above chart shows, so it is not a mystery. My LG AC shows the cold point temperature of 6-8 degrees as it is. I guess it can be lower if I set the AC at 10 degree.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 13:43   #7185
BHPian

Quote:

Usually there will be a difference of about 7-9 degree C between the grill temperature and the room temperature. There are other factors: size of the room, insulation, thermal load etc.
So if your room temperature is 5 degree C, the grill temperature will be about -3 Degree C which is difficult to achieve in a normal room AC as it will form ice unless the air throw is high.

In your case, they would have added room insulation, increased the internal fan speed to the maximum, bypassed the normal thermostat and in its place, placed a lower range electronic thermostat.

I had a WestingHouse 2 ton Window AC years ago. The thermostat had failed and I couldn't source it. So I shorted out the thermostat. The compressor would run continuously until the AC was switched off. It could turn the room into a cold storage room. We had to wear Ice parka to stay inside. If you wear any spectacle the moment you stepped outside, it will form frost and you will be blind.

Of course it eventually had to be replaced only because we couldn't afford the increasing electricity bill.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks