Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:30   #7261
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Can anyone suggest a tough long lasting AC ( window or split )? My 20+ year old national AC is not holding gas anymore and I believe is finally dead/ too much to repair. I need a new AC which can be bullet proof like this one, or at least have a warranty which can take care of it if it does go bad. A Samsung did not even last a few years here, because of corrosion but the old National survived. Was thinking of getting an LG for their warranty, any other suggestions? It seems quite complex though with the dual inverters and all. Just want to avoid R22 ones, no interest in promoting skin cancer.
As they say, it aint made like that anymore. So pray that your new Inverter AC lasts beyond 5 years of warranty without any failures.

That said, the reason a 20 year old AC lasted so long is
. Low technology, most probably simple MB and electro mechanical controls
. Better and sturdier build
. Large gaps between the evaporator fins, hence immune to dust accumulation

All the above factors contributed to long life at the expense of efficiency. My current Inverter consumes half the electricty that my old technology AC did twenty years ago. So it is a dilema, or rather a trade off between longivity and efficiency.

That said, Commercial AC's a build to last, but they cost two to four times as Domestic ones. You can contact main manufaturers of commercial HVAC - Voltas, Daikin, LG, Blue Star etc and get a quote for your requirement.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 21:32   #7262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As they say, it aint made like that anymore. So pray that your new Inverter AC lasts beyond 5 years of warranty without any failures.

That said, the reason a 20 year old AC lasted so long is
. Low technology, most probably simple MB and electro mechanical controls
. Better and sturdier build
. Large gaps between the evaporator fins, hence immune to dust accumulation
Well, the nearest compromise that can be done is that buy a non-inverter AC. Daikin, Bluestar, Carrier, Midea still make basic non inverter AC.

Our LG non inverter AC is 14 years old and still going strong with ZERO complaints.

But yes, it is not the most efficient in terms of power consumption. On the flip side, what is the use if it is a 5* inverter AC and all the power savings made are lost in repair of PCB or any other component?!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 2nd March 2023 at 21:34.
Old 3rd March 2023, 10:12   #7263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Did you mean to say that they refused warranty while the unit was still under warranty, or, are you referring to the post warranty repair, where the unit is under AMC warranty (..and they refused to cover the part)? Does it state on the AMC terms that the coil isn't covered (...as in have you read the document)? If Yes, then there isn't a whole lot you can do.
Hi,

The AC was bought in March 2021, so its warranty of one year had expired. I do not possess any AMC. And the problem of not cooling developed at 1.5-year point & no longer covered under warranty. I called the service center & they had the same thing to say as the technician. And they have shifted the blame on the surrounding environment too. They were not willing to either reduce the price or provide a warranty post repair. Thus, I have come to a conclusion to scrap it & not go ahead with the repair. I know it is such a waste.

Here's what I found on Daikin's website.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-001_ac.jpg

Coming to the topic of getting a second opinion, I stuck to Daikin's own technicians owing to the fact that I have used third party ones previously & everyone has tried to take me for a ride & honestly most succeeded. This is my third AC in 7 years, all of them went kaput in 1.5-to-2-year timeframe. LG, Samsung & now Daikin.

I am going to be moving to a new flat in 3-4 months anyway & will be selling the current flat. At first, I thought I would get a basic AC & ride it out as long as it starts leaking & dumping it, but scrapped that idea (as getting my Daikin repaired made more sense than this) & thinking to get a new LG AC with 5-year extended warranty, after my move. That is my current plan. I do not know how long I can bear the heat with a less ventilated room & WFH scenario.

Neo
Old 6th March 2023, 04:08   #7264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_narender View Post
The AC was bought in March 2021, so its warranty of one year had expired. I do not possess any AMC. And the problem of not cooling developed at 1.5-year point & no longer covered under warranty.
That is unfortunate.
At just 18 months into the life of the unit, they should have offered a little more support.

The excuse they are using for a polluted river causing premature wear and tear is not your problem.

This is your call. Don't get rid of the unit entirely. Scrap the indoor unit. You can always pair the outdoor unit with a refurbished indoor unit from a third party brand. Keep it as a secondary non primary AC for your new home. For a study, etc
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 12:30   #7265
Senior - BHPian

Dear all,

Do we have any owners of Whirlpool Airconditioners here ?

I am looking to buy a 2 Ton for my drawing room from FK. The model is Supremecool 5 in 1 convertible.

However I am a bit spectical about Whirlpool as an Airconditioner manufacturer. As I understand, these are re-branded Chinese ACs. Am I correct ?

Any long term ownership reviews of Whirlpool here ? My usage would not be much as its drawing room, but at the same time I do not want to purhcase a product with inferior quality or bad after sales. I like the model because its tremendous value for money and it looks quite sleek.

Please suggest.

TIA.
Old 6th March 2023, 15:29   #7266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Dear all,

Do we have any owners of Whirlpool Airconditioners here ?

I am looking to buy a 2 Ton for my drawing room from FK. The model is Supremecool 5 in 1 convertible.

However I am a bit spectical about Whirlpool as an Airconditioner manufacturer. As I understand, these are re-branded Chinese ACs. Am I correct ?

Any long term ownership reviews of Whirlpool here ? My usage would not be much as its drawing room, but at the same time I do not want to purhcase a product with inferior quality or bad after sales. I like the model because its tremendous value for money and it looks quite sleek.

Please suggest.

TIA.
Yes, they may be Chinese OEM. If so the quality will be extremely variable. Excellent if lucky and perennial trouble if not. If you want Chinese then go for Haier.

Do you use heaters to heat the room in winter? If yes, then I suggest that you go in for Hot & Cold AC rather than a normal AC. Got an LG 2T this winter. It is much better at heating than a large oil heater.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 15:39   #7267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Yes, they may be Chinese OEM. If so the quality will be extremely variable. Excellent if lucky and perennial trouble if not. If you want Chinese then go for Haier.

Do you use heaters to heat the room in winter? If yes, then I suggest that you go in for Hot & Cold AC rather than a normal AC. Got an LG 2T this winter. It is much better at heating than a large oil heater.
Thanks for that Info. Yes we do use heater ! But as per my understanding its cheaper to Own and to Use (Units wise), lets say an Oil based radiator separately, than use a Hot and Cold AC. What do you say ? And how reliable are Hot and Cold ACs ?

How much the 2T LG H&C Cost you and from where ?
Old 6th March 2023, 16:02   #7268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that Info. Yes we do use heater ! But as per my understanding its cheaper to Own and to Use (Units wise), lets say an Oil based radiator separately, than use a Hot and Cold AC. What do you say ? And how reliable are Hot and Cold ACs ?

How much the 2T LG H&C Cost you and from where ?
Inverter AC heater work on heat pump technology. This is inherently much more efficient than other forms of electrical heaters - direct radiator, oil, blowers etc. You get all the comfort and controls of an AC only the air is hot.

The LG Hot and Cold AC is a 2T 3 star unit. The showroom price is Rs.71,500/ but we got a cash back on ICICI CC (interest free) installment scheme.

The home / office air-conditioner thread-ssc_6027.jpg
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 03:30   #7269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And how reliable are Hot and Cold ACs ?
As reliable as any other Inverter based air conditioner.
I'd stick to the usual suspects for Air Conditioners like LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Daikin, etc. Whirlpool are better known for their refrigerators, washing machines. Air conditioning isn't their thing.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 20:26   #7270
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Guys, please suggest a decent 0.7/0.8 ton window AC for a small bedroom. From what I've been told they don't make too many 0.8 ton ACs, the only one I can find online is an O General for around 27k. Problem is none of Croma/Vijay Sales have them on display. And I'm not too sure if 0.7 & 0.8 ton AC measurements are the same or not. My existing Voltas AC is more than 5yrs old & the repair guy has told me that the body is gone & isn't worth repairing.
Old 8th March 2023, 20:34   #7271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Which model did you buy? We have two Panasonic inverter AC, one has been doing duty since 2012 and the other one since April 2017. So far both has been doing pretty well. The first one we bought has done some serious running and still doing its job pretty well.
I just thought I will update about the two Panasonic ACs we have, even now they are doing brilliant, these were not used at all since August last year and both the ACs worked as expected.

The LG AC I had on the other hand had some issue, looks like a coolant leakage, I didn't get it repaired as there won't be anyone using that for sometime.
Old 9th March 2023, 13:52   #7272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Guys, please suggest a decent 0.7/0.8 ton window AC for a small bedroom. ... And I'm not too sure if 0.7 & 0.8 ton AC measurements are the same or not.
Don't sweat over the 0.1 size. Just go ahead and buy a 1 ton AC and you have plenty of choice for the 1 ton AC. If you go for a higher capacity AC, it is not a problem. When you use a lower capacity AC, the compressor will continue to run for a long time - thus lowering its life.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 15:18   #7273
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Don't sweat over the 0.1 size. Just go ahead and buy a 1 ton AC and you have plenty of choice for the 1 ton AC. If you go for a higher capacity AC, it is not a problem. When you use a lower capacity AC, the compressor will continue to run for a long time - thus lowering its life.
Thing is there already exists a slot in my bedroom which can only fit a 0.75 ton AC! I agree there are lots of choices in the 1 ton category but for that I'll have to break/change the windows, make a bigger slot/bracket which involves some carpentry work. I'm not inclined to do all of that as there are chances of my building going into redevelopment in 3yrs time. My AC Mechanic has suggested a pre-owned O General AC for less than 15k!
Old 16th March 2023, 18:41   #7274
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Gents, I am out in market for a long term use split aircon. At my hometown I have a Sharp inverter from 2014 and a Trane 3 star from 2015, both 1.5 units and till date they have never caused me any maintenance problems. Just an yearly wash and my elderly parents are good with them.
However, I recently shifted to another location and bought a Voltas 3 star 1.5 ac that allegedly can work as 1 ton to 1.5 tonnage but this contraption is a rattler. Poorly constructed and put together and I doubt it will last long. I need another split and not going to Voltas for sure so I have been looking for top end models but I don't have experience with any of the short listed brands. Mt requirements are for a biggish room 12x18, top floor, sun facing from 10 am to 5 pm.

Brands and model I am considering
1. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries SRK18YXS2-W6 1.65 ton
2. Daikin FTKF50TV16U 1.5 Ton
3. Mitsubishi Electric MSY-GR10VF

I am inclined toward Daikin as this model is having efficient ISEER rating of 5.8 due to a bigger outdoor unit and nearly 4 feet wide and devoid of tech gimmickry.

Please chip in with your inputs.
Old 16th March 2023, 19:38   #7275
BHPian

If you live near an open drain then no matter which brand you go for gas leaks start to happen by 4th or 5th year. Post that it becomes an annual affair and maybe twice during a season. Companies are using thinner copper coils leading to their early corrosion. I would be now sticking to brands providing maximum discount or extended comprehensive warranty even if for some extra cash.

Summers just make me nuts with 4 ACs running in my house now. ACs are supposed to make ourselves relaxed and keep a cool mind in scorching Delhi Summers. But they are giving me a terrible headache for last 7 to 8 years now. The mess these technicians make, the time they take to cater to your request, exorbitant prices they ask for repairs is just not acceptable. Thinking of going back to the humble coolers now.

If I talk about my personal experience Bluestar has been the best so far with trouble free running for 5 years. This year as I switched it on it just blew stale warm air and I knew what was coming. Worst experience with Carrier. Gas leak in 4th year. Motor replacement and another gas leak in 5th year. By season end another gas leak in 5th year itself. Got Daikin last year but realised that it's no better. Not expecting any Japanese reliability from it for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks