Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2023, 12:22   #7366
Senior - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naadopaasaka View Post
I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate thread for this. But I'll give it a shot.

I seem to be allergic to mold. It causes a constriction in the lower respiratory tract and significant breathing difficulties. This makes staying in hotels with central air-conditioning rather unpleasant. Are there any workarounds? I intend to get myself tested for the mold allergies to have a clearer picture, but is there any way to address the issue?
Is it mould or "pollen" alergy?

There are Pollen Filters available in West. They just plug in the nostrils and filter out all the pollen and dust. You can try it.

https://www.amazon.in/Clenare-Invisi...077CS28V8?th=1

https://www.flipkart.com/clenare-nas...mfbbbxzw4zejwp
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 12:50   #7367
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need some advice on the wiring of my AC (inverter split) that was recently installed in my house.

Is it really safe to extend the original wire of the indoor unit if the 15A plug point is located slightly far from the unit? So what the AC installer has done is he joined additional wire to the original AC wire so that it could reach my plug point. Point to note is that he joined the three internal wires separately and taped them up. Should I be worried? and should I just get rid of the extra wire and shift the plug point closer to the AC? Heck, even that 'might' result in extending the 15A plug point wire, no?

Sorry, but I am complete noob when it comes to electricals.
Old 1st May 2023, 14:49   #7368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
... So what the AC installer has done is he joined additional wire to the original AC wire so that it could reach my plug point. Point to note is that he joined the three internal wires separately and taped them up. Should I be worried? ....
No need to worry, as long as the electrician has used sufficiently thick wire, which he probably has.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 11:02   #7369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys I need some advice on the wiring of my AC (inverter split) that was recently installed in my house.

Is it really safe to extend the original wire of the indoor unit if the 15A plug point is located slightly far from the unit? So what the AC installer has done is he joined additional wire to the original AC wire so that it could reach my plug point. Point to note is that he joined the three internal wires separately and taped them up. Should I be worried? and should I just get rid of the extra wire and shift the plug point closer to the AC? Heck, even that 'might' result in extending the 15A plug point wire, no?

Sorry, but I am complete noob when it comes to electricals.
If the wire to extend your AC cord is of same thickness or more, there is no problem. After all moving the plug will also require the wire to be extended.

The only problem that I see is cosmetic. He could have used a regular 3 core cable of sufficient thickness.

https://vashiisl.com/products/finole...hoCSesQAvD_BwE

https://aircondlounge.com/air-condit...t-calculation/
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 14:25   #7370
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot guys. I am little more relieved now. I think the thickness is fine. But this reassuring. Thanks again!
Old 3rd May 2023, 08:17   #7371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Is it mould or "pollen" alergy?
Many thanks for the suggestions. Let me get myself tested first to discover the nature of the allergy.
Old 20th May 2023, 07:49   #7372
BHPian

For those looking to buy Mitsubishi Electric ac ,
ME has some models where they do epoxy coating on the indoor unit coils for anti-corrosion purposes and they specifically mention that this is keeping in mind Indian conditions where gas leakage is prevalent.
I bought their cheapest JP series non-inverter 4 years back and this model has this coating mentioned in its brochure and I have faced no problems so far.
A model above this is GK series which doesn't mention this coating in its brochure and a ME technician confirmed this saying that GK series is an older model so it doesn't have coating whereas JP series is a newer model. Although GK series has thicker copper tubes than JP series.
Top model GS series once again mention epoxy coating in its brochure.
Prospective buyers may keep in this mind.

Similarly Fujitsu General has some models without epoxy coating on indoor coils.

Also this epoxy coating is different from blue fin coating which is done on aluminium fins whereas epoxy coating is done on copper tubes and copper bends and both serve different purposes.
I think that this is the best possible option for those living in areas which are prone to gas leakage.

Last edited by neeraj0272 : 20th May 2023 at 07:55.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 10:41   #7373
BHPian

Folks, I am on the look out for a multi split AC. While this listed most OEM's web sites, dealer don't have them. Checked with several. DO et me know if you come across one in Blr.
Old 20th May 2023, 12:01   #7374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Folks, I am on the look out for a multi split AC. While this listed most OEM's web sites, dealer don't have them. Checked with several. DO et me know if you come across one in Blr.
Multi splits did not succeed in India. I had also looked for them a long while back and only carrier/Toshiba and O General had them, and even then getting information and quote for them was like extracting teeth, and they were not able to give even one reference where it had been installed.

A few years later I remember seeing ads by sharp for multi splits but that lasted a short while only.

I personally would not pursue this path as servicing could become a problem even if installed,
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 12:09   #7375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Multi split units are cheaper versions of the VRF airconditioners.

VRF (Variable refrigerant flow) support multiple IDU's and multiple ODU. They are at least thrice as expensive as domestic AC, but last much longer as they are designed for Commercial/Industrial environment.

VRF is mainly used for medium sized applications - 5T to 20T and 5 to 20 IDU. Central airconditioning on a medium scale.

Normally if you need 4 or more AC and at least 2 at a time, these systems make sense. But if you use only one AC mainly (bedroom) and a few poccationally, the these make less sense.
Old 30th May 2023, 16:52   #7376
BHPian

I am building a new home having 4 stories in Delhi. Each floor will have 2 bedrooms, a kitchen and a lobby/living area.
I need advice on air conditioning system to be installed. Each floor will need 6 or 7 split ACs and every floor is independent of others.
Firstly as my house is in an area which is prone to gas leaks in air conditioners and inverter PCBs malfunctioning so I am less inclined towards VRV/VRF and also inverter ACs.

Now I have option of getting
1. Hi-wall split Indoor units which is the most popular option in India
2. Cassette ACs
3. Ductable ACs

I am not able to see any charm in Cassette ACs as these look ugly and somehow gives vibes of commercial space. Moreover these are more expensive and require more maintenance compared to split ac. Also condensation has to be drained through its pump which is an additional component that can fail.

Ductable ACs looks more premium but these also have some drawbacks. Some portion of false ceiling( approximate 3ft to 4ft) has to be brought down to approx 15" to accommodate it. Also a trap door has to be integrated in false ceiling for servicing its indoor machine. Its condensation also has to be drained through its pump which is an additional component that can fail. A friend told me that sometimes rat enters into ducts in their office having this ductable ac! So their is a hygiene/dust/mold issue with the ducts. Again these are more expensive and require more specialized maintenance.

I am getting suggestions to go for ductable ac for their (lack of)looks but I am not getting convinced and I am swaying towards Hi-wall split acs as these seems to me to be the most sensible option being most economical to buy, install and maintain. Only con is that its indoor unit will be hanging on the walls.

I can go for any mix of these options and I can also go for VRF if their pros outweigh cons for me.

Please give suggestions.
Old 30th May 2023, 17:50   #7377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
....Each floor will have 2 bedrooms, a kitchen and a lobby/living area.
I need advice on air conditioning system to be installed. Each floor will need 6 or 7 split ACs and every floor is independent of others.
First, please clarify the number of ACs needed per floor. 6 to 7 split units for a two bedroom unit seems extraordinary!
Old 30th May 2023, 22:40   #7378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
First, please clarify the number of ACs needed per floor. 6 to 7 split units for a two bedroom unit seems extraordinary!
It's 1800 sq ft per floor having two bedrooms, one library, one kitchen and one living room. Living room is 500sq ft and it will need two ACs. One bedroom is 300 sq ft and I would prefer to use two 1 ton fixed speed ACs in this bedroom. So it adds up to 7.
Old 1st June 2023, 16:21   #7379
Senior - BHPian

Well the type of AC depends on use.

If at least half the number are going to be used simultanously, then getting central system - VRF/Ducted/Multisplit makes sense.

On the other hand if only a couple of the 6-7 AC are going to be used at a time, then individual units make more sense.

Regarding central AC, please note that :

. They are commercial/industrial grade macines, so the cost is high - 2 to 3 times.
. As they meant for commercial/industrial use, the life is measured in decades rather than in years.
. Maintenance is more expensive, but the benefits of long life outweighs the costs.

VRF units are sold by the commercial sales rather than domestic sales units, hence you have to contact the proper sles units. They will also study your requirements and suggest suitable configuration
. No of IDU
. No of ODU
. Pipe routing
. Joints
. Controllers

Here are a few links

https://www.daikinindia.com/products-services/vrv

https://www.lg.com/in/business/vrf

https://www.bluestarindia.com/produc...ng/vrf-systems

There are many more - Mitsubishi, General, Carrier etc in this segment
Old 2nd June 2023, 09:33   #7380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Please give suggestions.
You ought to look at the most efficient way of cooling a space. More so when we're talking about a large floor area. Running inefficient units for the sake of longer reliability (which remains questionable due to the area you are going to live in) isn't the way to go about it.

I'd get a few air conditioning consultants involved. Ask each one to spec and price out a solution for you. If the water pump fails on a unit and water starts leaking, that's their headache. Not yours. Inform them of your concerns around corrosion and how they plan on tackling that issue. Maybe its just a case of longer warranty. When you hand out a large business like this, you can haggle your way to how you want the warranty structured.

You can also look at floor stand and multi split units.
The trouble with ducted splits is noise. Ask the consultant or engineer if they can present other installations so you know the noise levels you're going to be dealing with. You'll also get an idea of their capability and implementation ideas.

Aim for the least number of physical air conditioning units (indoor and outdoor). The less you have, the easier it is to maintain over the long run.

A rodent can make its way into a duct only if they are not sealed properly.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 2nd June 2023 at 09:36.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks