Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2010, 14:06   #736
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujai View Post
Does it make sense to install split AC in rented house ?. I badly want to buy an air conditioner , but I am worried about shifting it when I change house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have multiple 6 year old Voltas split A/Cs that have moved every 2 years. No big deal, they work like new after every installation.
Not only that, but you have much less to make good on moving out. Just one small hole in the wall ans some paint, set against a probable new window frame.

I feel too that the separate units are much sturdier. The window ac that we moved was very hard to take out from its tight-fit hole; damage to the case is very possible.
Old 8th March 2010, 14:40   #737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I got my 2.0 ton Whirlpool Split AC installed in my living room on Saturday. It worked like a breeze to chill my 14 X 26 feet living room.

However, yesterday night when it was running for about an 1 hour. There was water dripping out of the front portion of the AC Unit so i had to hurriedly switch it off.

What could be wrong?
There is a drain pipe from the indoor unit that takes the condensate water out to drain. there are several reasons why the water may have flown in the opposite direction, that is into your living room
1. The drain pipe mouth has slipped off the drain vent
2. The drain pipe level on its way out is at a higher level than the drain vent (highly unlikely but should be checked as it is a new install)
3. The drain pipe used is flexible and has been pinched somewhere along its length.
4. The far end of the drain pipe is clogged and not allowing the water to flow out.

Get your installer to check it out, it is nothing serious.
Old 8th March 2010, 14:43   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
There is a drain pipe from the indoor unit that takes the condensate water out to drain. there are several reasons why the water may have flown in the opposite direction, that is into your living room
2. The drain pipe level on its way out is at a higher level than the drain vent (highly unlikely but should be checked as it is a new install)
3. The drain pipe used is flexible and has been pinched somewhere along its length.
4. The far end of the drain pipe is clogged and not allowing the water to flow out.

Awesome detailing. That made a lot of sense.

I called them and they should be coming before evening to fix the issue. Will keep posted.
Old 8th March 2010, 17:31   #739
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Otherwise just get the OG. It is a great machine but make sure you buy it from an authorized dealer and not from someone posing as one.
OGs are not OGs for nothing. Most of the people on the net complaining about the OG, have fake ones with kits from a certain 'Napoleon' which looks like the original but is not even as good as some of the local guys.
Some interesting about OG here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post1261746

I found some interesting info last year from my interiors contractor. When I showed interest in checking out OG or just G to be correct, he was not very happy. He told me that General AC is not officially sold in India at all. All those people selling General ACs are importing it on their own and selling it with their own warranty. There is no company warranty or official company support in India.

In other words, there are no authorised dealer for OG or General in India. So I decided to stick with Voltas.
Old 8th March 2010, 20:04   #740
Senior - BHPian

@Samurai

I have gone through the link and I maintain what I posted earlier that OG is the brand and Fujitsu General Ltd. is the brand owner, see my earlier post reproduced below.

Quote:
@rajeev k

Not clear what is to be clarified regarding the OG as that is what it is, their brand/logo. The manufacturer being Fujitsu General Ltd. which is a part of Fujitsu General Group Worldwide.

As of late 2009 on their entire range the logo that appears on the machines out door unit is Fujitsu General. The indoors units are still displaying the OGeneral logo.
As for them being in India, they are here pretty much officially but via a joint venture the details of which are here :: Welcome to the OGENERAL AIR CONDITIONERS :::
BTW see what they call their brand in bold below.

Quote:
ETA General Private Limited (EGPL) is a Joint Venture company between ETA-Ascon, Dubai and Fujitsu General Limited, Japan. EGPL launched OGENERAL brand Air Conditioners in the Indian market in the year 2000. It has its State of the art manufacturing facility at Pondicherry, near Chennai. The facility includes in-house heat exchanger manufacturing capability, dust free advanced technology paint shop and assembly facilities. EGPL has over 650 dedicated sales and service dealers spread across the country
I know these guys are not very big on advertising and are not really visible but they are out there and since I like the excellent products they churn out, I am just doing all I can to help fellow teamsters to get to know them better and make an informed decision.
Old 8th March 2010, 21:12   #741
Team-BHP Support

And EGPL also calls it OGENERAL, now Sam is going to freak-out.
Old 8th March 2010, 22:21   #742
Distinguished - BHPian

Me too!

Daft name
Old 9th March 2010, 01:33   #743
Senior - BHPian

It's OG in the subcontinent and the Gulf, elsewhere it is FG.
Old 9th March 2010, 12:06   #744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Problem got fixed and it seems it was related to #2
Old 9th March 2010, 13:26   #745
Distinguished - BHPian

Good! ACs take an amazing amount of water out of our humid air. The last thing one wants is to have it dripping into the room.

I have known this happen because of blocked air filters, although obviously, with a new unit, that was not going to be the cause of your problem. General good advice is to clean the filters regularly, not just wait for the service guy to do it. Not that I remember often! Unless we notice the AC efficiency has really dropped.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:29   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not only that, but you have much less to make good on moving out. Just one small hole in the wall ans some paint
Thanks guys. I have one more concern. Is it bad to install AC outdoor unit on terrace where rain falls directly on it ?
Old 9th March 2010, 13:33   #747
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks guys. I have one more concern. Is it bad to install AC outdoor unit on terrace where rain falls directly on it ?
There is a reason why is it called the outdoor unit. It can handle any amount of rain/snow/ice/hailstone. Short of submerging it in water, you have nothing to worry.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:35   #748
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
AFAIK, for better colling the unit must not be placed in direct sun light.

I am not so sure about rains.
But I have seen units placed in the open terrace under the shade of a wall,
exposed to rain.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:41   #749
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
AFAIK, for better colling the unit must not be placed in direct sun light.

I am not so sure about rains.
But I have seen units placed in the open terrace under the shade of a wall,
exposed to rain.
I have many outdoor units placed without shade and exposed to harshest of coastal rain/wind/sun. No issues at all after many years.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:44   #750
Senior - BHPian

It will be better to erect some kind of lite-roof shade over the unit if possible, to protect from the blazing sun. Rain does not matter. There should be a gap of 3 - 4 inches between the unit and the shade on all sides as well as top.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks