Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 13:11   #856
Senior - BHPian

Has Invertor technology in A/C something to do with running on DC current rather than AC current? I read it in some advertisement, but I am not able to recollect which. A lot of manufacturers have started using the word 'Invertor technology' for air conditioning, how is it really an 'Invertor technology'?
Old 29th March 2010, 13:52   #857
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Has Invertor technology in A/C something to do with running on DC current rather than AC current? I read it in some advertisement, but I am not able to recollect which. A lot of manufacturers have started using the word 'Invertor technology' for air conditioning, how is it really an 'Invertor technology'?
Inverters generally give out square wave AC (alternating current) rather than the sine wave AC. Equipments designed run on AC don't like it, that is why fans make that funny noise while running on inverter.

If you want to run air conditioner on inverter, you need an inverter that gives out sine wave AC.

AC can mean air conditioner or alternating current, read it by context.
Old 29th March 2010, 14:08   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has Invertor technology in A/C something to do with running on DC current rather than AC current? ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Inverters generally give out square wave AC (alternating current) rather than the sine wave AC. Equipments designed run on AC don't like it, that is why fans make that funny noise while running on inverter.
Samurai, he's asking something quite different.

John, inverter technology in ACs does not mean the motor has to be DC. That would be a retrograde step!

AC motors speed/torque control is best done by varying the frequency of the supply. The only way to do that is to first convert to DC and then re-convert to AC at a frequency and voltage of choice.
Hence the 'inverter' tag.
Old 29th March 2010, 14:14   #859
Team-BHP Support

Oh, I thought he was asking about inverters that can run air conditioners. My bad!
Old 29th March 2010, 18:09   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
AC motors speed/torque control is best done by varying the frequency of the supply. The only way to do that is to first convert to DC and then re-convert to AC at a frequency and voltage of choice.
Hence the 'inverter' tag.
Ok. So does it mean that only some Air Conditioners do this? (I mean the converting to DC and back to AC.) The advertisements give me a feeling that some 'superior' Air Conditioners run on inverter technology.
Old 29th March 2010, 18:13   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
jinojohnt

The term inverter comes in as the current is inverted. The basic inverter air cons take the incoming AC and convert it to DC. This DC is then filtered and inverted back to AC to run the compressor and the fan motors.

Edit Whoops! did not realize anup had already explained the concept.

The adverts are giving you the right feel as inverter technology is considered premium and a basic inverter Air con is twice as expensive as a normal one from the same brand and for the same tonnage.

Sheel

Sorry Buddy, here goes

Yes, the Videocon machine should be good their manufacturing facilities in Aurangabad and Ranjangaon are top notch. I myself have a 1.5 ton window from Video con with a wide voltage acceptance technology very useful in areas which see a lot of voltage variations.
This technology is now also being offered by Samsung in their new S series, I do not know whether Videocon still offers it.

By the way why are you wary of Samsung? If you ignore their low end models then the range of machines is good and the latest S series is quite good. Let me know the model numbers that you are considering and I could look at them tomorrow as I am planning to visit an a/c wallah to see the latest offerings of the season.

I would stay away from Blue Star and Carrier but that is my personal outlook. Voltas machines are a mixed bag some series are good some are plane jane. Godrej should be good as far as after sales is concerned but then I would like to buy from either Videocon or Samsung amongst the choices available after checking which one of the two has better after sales service in the area.

Take the after sale service numbers for these two from your dealer and call both of them, see the ease of reaching them and how they respond, should help you decide accordingly.

Last edited by khoj : 29th March 2010 at 18:32. Reason: reply to additional post
Old 29th March 2010, 18:17   #862
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
with pretty limited options would you suggest Videocon Split 1.5T?
the only good brand available is Blue-Star and it has been advised to not buy Carrier,
Hitachi and General isn't available, wouldn't want to go for Samsung/LG though Godrej, Voltas are present
advise please
any advise to me khoj?
thanks
Old 30th March 2010, 13:04   #863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I went ahead and took the risk and bought a 2.0 ton Whirlpool Chrome AC. Its the latest range that they have released in market ( Aviator and Chrome Series)

I picked up the Chrome Series. Highlights are :-

1. One of the most good looking AC's out there

2. Japanese Rotary Compressor

4. Four Star Energy saving rating ( 20% Savings)

5. Front Sliding Panel with LED lights and in a nice coral red color

6. Rs.28,500 ( inclusive of installation and stabilizer). Isnt that a sweet deal?

I was looking for a picture on the web for this model, couldnt find it. Can someone please post a picture of this AC here?
Well, here is the picture of the installation and actual AC. Sorry about the crappy phone pictures.

It works like a charm in cooling my huge living room
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-img00135201003210835.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-img00136201003210835.jpg  

Old 30th March 2010, 22:11   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

OT: Looks like a very nicely built and decorated room
Old 31st March 2010, 00:44   #865
Senior - BHPian

more OT

I agree and the colour of the air con front panel complements the wooden door and window frames.
Old 31st March 2010, 07:15   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
more OT

I agree and the colour of the air con front panel complements the wooden door and window frames.
Indeed, it rocks! In a room so rich with POP!
Old 31st March 2010, 11:41   #867

Quote:
I am planning to visit an a/c wallah to see the latest offerings of the season.
Thanks for all the information you share on this thread khoj, have really come to appreciate the time you spend on sharing your knowledge with others.

I am in the market for 2 X 1.5 tons for my house in Delhi. I live on the ground floor and the "average size" rooms don't really get direct sunlight, but I think 1.5T would be better for extended usage that the ACs are likely to be subjected to (could perhaps do with 1T or 1.2T though).

Based on what you've seen of the latest offerings, what brands/ models would you recommend? I am open to both Window and Split options as both rooms already have provision for Windows AC (1 room has a "Napolean", a popular local brand, AC installed already, which I am planning to replace as it's been a few years and I think it's a power guzzler - though I don't have any data to back my claim up :-).
Old 31st March 2010, 14:43   #868
BHPian

One AC guy taught me a simple method of AC capacity sizing calculation.

Measure the length, width and height of the room in feet, multiply them to get the cubic feet of the room (or measure in metres and convert to Cubic feet: 1 cubic metre = 35.3146667 cubic feet).

Multiply the cu. feet with a factor of 10, this gives the BTU/hr cooling required for the room. To convert this BTU/hr to tons, divide this figure by 1200 (approximate to the nearest lower standard capacity of AC unit avialable).

Ton = LxWxH(cu.ft) x 10 / 1200.

If the room on the top floor or with windows and doors on the sun-facing wall, then the multiplication factor can be raised from 10 to 12. This calculation is for the hot Dubai.

But, this is just an approximate calculation for our understanding of the capacity requirements.

As mentioned in this thread, the accurate calculation is very essential. If its over sized, the compressor will cut off too quickly and the dehumidification will not happen properly. If its too undersized, the compressor will have to strain to do the cooling.

Quote:
@recshenoy

Use this link to calculate the tonnage required. Welcome to Daikin India
Old 31st March 2010, 15:28   #869
Team-BHP Support

I have this situation in couple of my home ACs. The AC has been turned on, but the outdoor compressor doesn't turn on even after 10 minutes. What does that mean?
Old 31st March 2010, 15:49   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have this situation in couple of my home ACs. The AC has been turned on, but the outdoor compressor doesn't turn on even after 10 minutes. What does that mean?
My brother is facing this problem with his recently installed A/C unit. Turns out, low voltage is the problem. He has a stabilizer, but that does not help.

-Biju

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks