Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 14:59   #286
Team-BHP Support

A little OT but.

Does spreading a layer of white paint or plaster of paris on the terrace help in keeping the top floor cool?
Old 27th February 2009, 15:19   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A little OT but.

Does spreading a layer of white paint or plaster of paris on the terrace help in keeping the top floor cool?
Not really! What will help most is if you can get an awning installed on the terrace, such that there is hardly any incident sunshine on it through the day!
This will NOT mean having to cover the entire terrace!
You'll have to observe which direction sunshine comes from and block those paths only!

Last edited by anupmathur : 27th February 2009 at 15:21.
Old 27th February 2009, 15:26   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A little OT but.

Well... it can help. White will reflect some of the light/heat - better than having a dark coloured cement roof!
Old 27th February 2009, 15:31   #289
BANNED

@Anup, thanks for words of advise earlier on, I actually got the A.C. checked by 2-3 diff. people/experts & their final comment was that the said A.C. could not cool any further than what it was already doing. So, a fault was ruled out.

I have an LG running fine at my place for the last 10-12 yrs or even more. With this I don't mean that L.G is best in the business, but it sure does cool better than an O-Gen.

My statement wasn't a taunt, it was a reply to a taunt directed towards me, that's what I felt. Ultimately all wise men & fools meet in hell or in heaven!

@KB, I don't mind anyone ridiculing L.G, its not one of my companies! But just wanted everyone to know that I seem to own few of their A.C's which are serving me good & much better than suposedely superior O-Gen's of the World.

As Esteem lover indicated, O-Gens. are being manufactured in India now for quite sometime. Did it occur to you that this might be the case for its poor performance!

In case its a case of getting a "Lemon", fault again lies with O-Gen. Atleast L.G did not hand me over "Lemons"!
Old 27th February 2009, 17:12   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
@KB, I don't mind anyone ridiculing L.G, its not one of my companies! But just wanted everyone to know that I seem to own few of their A.C's which are serving me good & much better than suposedely superior O-Gen's of the World.

As Esteem lover indicated, O-Gens. are being manufactured in India now for quite sometime. Did it occur to you that this might be the case for its poor performance!

In case its a case of getting a "Lemon", fault again lies with O-Gen. Atleast L.G did not hand me over "Lemons"!
Again you go LG vs OGen.

You know what ... their performance being good or bad never 'occurred' to me - WHY? Because I was NOT interested in either of them! My contribution to anything you said was limited to the display .. and its utility.

As far as I am concerned, I have just bought myself an Onida (installation is going on as we speak) , and not an LG or OG - I am a big fan of Value-for-Money and cant justify the Premium for the OG and the likes. (this I am sure you will also agree with!). Hope I am right - Wish me luck!

Personally - I had an LG and I hated it!! It will take some hard (and consistent) evidence for me to change mind.

Last edited by kb100 : 27th February 2009 at 17:13.
Old 27th February 2009, 17:40   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Personally - I had an LG and I hated it!! It will take some hard (and consistent) evidence for me to change mind.
Now now, I think there is too much emotional bonding going on with AC units here!
KB100, what made you come to hate LGs so much? Possibly a defective piece?
I have been using two of them (a 2 ton split and a 1.6 ton window-unit) for the last four years. Very good service so far. I am almost expecting to have to replace one or the other soon, unlike my Hitachi and National units that have put in an honest decade's work already!
Old 27th February 2009, 17:47   #292
BANNED

@KB, many congratulations to you on your new buy.
Could you elaborate a little on your purchase viv. tons, price. etc.

Did you try Videocon, Voltas, they too are Indian VFM products.

You probably got a "Lemon" from L.G. as my 4-5 L.G's, all 4-10 yrs. old are working fine.
But your "wiseness" should have gotten you through, or was the problem out of your ravine too!

Last edited by bhp1 : 27th February 2009 at 17:51.
Old 27th February 2009, 17:58   #293
BANNED

You guys need to get into a room.. a AC room
Old 27th February 2009, 20:06   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Now now, I think there is too much emotional bonding going on with AC units here!
KB100, what made you come to hate LGs so much? Possibly a defective piece?
I have been using two of them (a 2 ton split and a 1.6 ton window-unit) for the last four years. Very good service so far. I am almost expecting to have to replace one or the other soon, unlike my Hitachi and National units that have put in an honest decade's work already!
Lol .. Dont know - once bitten twice shy I guess. Made too much noise and progressively turned ineffective (within six months of purchase). THe only reason I did not buy an Hitachi is

1. I stay in a rented house and am likely to shift. Whenever I get my own house the best will go in! I dont want to spend so much money now that I will be loath to pick up the current tech then.

Quote:
@KB, many congratulations to you on your new buy.
Could you elaborate a little on your purchase viv. tons, price. etc.
Thank you... I bought a 1.5 ton. THe details have already been posted a few posts back.

Quote:
Did you try Videocon, Voltas, they too are Indian VFM products.
Are they?... Well I will take your work for it! I had budget only for one AC , and the Onida had them beat on specs. Onida is an Indian brand too na?

Quote:
You probably got a "Lemon" from L.G. as my 4-5 L.G's, all 4-10 yrs. old are working fine.
Lemon? - most probably. However congratulations to you! I still hate LG!

Quote:
But your "wiseness" should have gotten you through, or was the problem out of your ravine too!
I admit you have me lost here - Ravine? I dare say that doesn't sound like it belongs on this forum!

If you have any specific problem with me please feel free to send me a PM.

In the meantime I am going to do what Spitfire has suggested - go sit in my newly air-conditioned room!

Last edited by kb100 : 27th February 2009 at 20:15.
Old 27th February 2009, 22:22   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
In the meantime I am going to do what Spitfire has suggested - go sit in my newly air-conditioned room!
OK, you've sat there for well over two hours now!
Tell us, how is the cooling and the NVH?!
Old 27th February 2009, 23:23   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
lol +1 to that. Now that you have been enjoying the new AC , lets spill the beans KB
Old 27th February 2009, 23:40   #297
BANNED

Do all Onida split's share the same compressor as the Hitachi's?

If so, like in kb100's case, why would anybody pay 10K more for the Hitachi?
Old 28th February 2009, 00:52   #298
Senior - BHPian

Guys ... It's sheer bliss!

Can't type too much from my mobile - but I am kicking myself for not having done this sooner!

Please bear with me till tomorrow- Will type in a detailed first impression! Perhaps even a photo or two! Gnite!!

Last edited by kb100 : 28th February 2009 at 00:54.
Old 28th February 2009, 19:02   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
lol +1 to that. Now that you have been enjoying the new AC , lets spill the beans KB
Too early to conclude antyhing - but intitial impression are

1. The out door unit is HUGE! - It totally dwarfs the LG/Samsung's etc on my terrace!

2. Its silent all right - The fan speed is about par for the course (480 CFM) . Hitachi on the other hand is 590 CFM.

3. It has a nice display which can be switched off.

4. It has a 'Surround' mode where the remote control works as a thermometer! The remote keeps communicating with the unit once every 3 minutes - the machine then maintains the temp set on the remote! The temperature displayed on the remote is the real time temperature where the remote has been kept. This is a nice feature! If the remote is unable to communicate with the machine for over 7 minutes, then it reverts to last used settings.

5. It has an Ioniser that can be activated - clean air results!

6. It has an auto clean facility - where the evaporator is dried before the machine switches itself off.

7. At an indicated 21Deg C - it had the room nice and chill! However my indoor unit is not ideally installed. Its offset towards the corner - A compromise we were forced to make since its a rented house with a duct provided there - did not want to make any modifications. I am sure properly installed this can cool more effectively! Another factor is that the out door unit is on the terrace of the apartment - a good 18 feet up. This is at the extreme of what the machine can handle (- the manual advises a max vertical separation of 5 mts - 16.21 feet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Do all Onida split's share the same compressor as the Hitachi's?

If so, like in kb100's case, why would anybody pay 10K more for the Hitachi?

Hitachi is quality can be considered better. One big advantage - the fan speed is much higher. Secondly those machines are known to run for 10 year or more without needing to be touched. I would definitely invest in them whenever I get one for our own house.
Old 28th February 2009, 19:24   #300
Senior - BHPian

@kb100 , how many units of electricity does this consume per hour ? running at normal load or full load ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks