Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
mobike008,

AC looks very elegant dude pls post pics fo actual once fitted
Sure thing. Will do it once its fitted, maybe another 2-3 days
Old 4th March 2010, 14:37   #722
BHPian

How does one keep pigeons and their goo off a window AC? Can't cover it as its installed through a wall and there is no adjoining window.
Old 4th March 2010, 16:26   #723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
How does one keep pigeons and their goo off a window AC? Can't cover it as its installed through a wall and there is no adjoining window.
Ask me about it! My AC was being assaulted by these dumb birds which kept building their nests and raising their families on it. Within a year their droppings and feathers had fallen through the vents to make a big pile of rubbish inside the AC! I decided enough was enough and got a rectangular metal box made. It was open on one side, with the other five sides having horizontal and vertical bars 3 inches apart. I made sure there was at least a six-inch gap between this box and the metal shell of the AC.

The box was bolted on to the wall and it effectively enclosed my AC from further damage. It was a slightly complicated process (especially since the installation had to be done by a guy suspended by a rope from the terrace) and a bit expensive (about Rs 3500), but I'd say it was worth it. I also got a patti (cheap sunshade) fixed on top of the box to prevent the rain from hitting the AC directly (and discourage birds from perching and pooping). No problems hence. The birds are gone and my AC has a new lease of life.

PS: My quest for a 0.5 tonne split AC for my 50 sq ft study room continues. Has anyone seen one anywhere in Bombay? My budget's 10-12K. The only half-tonners I've seen so far are window ACs. Maybe I'll have to settle for a 0.8 tonne split unit?
Old 4th March 2010, 18:32   #724
Senior - BHPian

I have a doubt. Generally everyone says O General; where as the so called O is only the emblem ie., a G inside a circle or O.
Experts please clarify.
Old 4th March 2010, 23:23   #725
Senior - BHPian

@rajeev k

Not clear what is to be clarified regarding the OG as that is what it is, their brand/logo. The manufacturer being Fujitsu General Ltd. which is a part of Fujitsu General Group Worldwide.

As of late 2009 on their entire range the logo that appears on the machines out door unit is Fujitsu General. The indoors units are still displaying the OGeneral logo.
Old 5th March 2010, 14:14   #726
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that the AC units are a speciality of the Irish division: O'General

... And I belive we have established, in previous conversation, that "O General" is just a mistake that stuck: there is indeed no "O"!
Old 5th March 2010, 15:15   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kix View Post
PS: My quest for a 0.5 tonne split AC for my 50 sq ft study room continues. Has anyone seen one anywhere in Bombay? My budget's 10-12K. The only half-tonners I've seen so far are window ACs.
Do 0.5s exist ? :O The minimum I've seen are 0.75/0.8s....
Old 7th March 2010, 16:19   #728
BHPian

I am deciding between Hitachi Quadricool TM 1 ton and O General 1 ton.
Many say the Quadricool series suck. On paper it seems to be the best. Whats the deal. After reading several reviews I am still confused.

Please lemme know - I cannot face the heat
Old 7th March 2010, 16:22   #729
BHPian

I'm a happy user of Quadricool TM 1 ton....besides, Hitachi's the brand when it comes to ACs...google for O General and you'll see websites filled with complaints from consumers.
Old 8th March 2010, 01:34   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
I am deciding between Hitachi Quadricool TM 1 ton and O General 1 ton.
Many say the Quadricool series suck. On paper it seems to be the best. Whats the deal. After reading several reviews I am still confused.

Please lemme know - I cannot face the heat
If you are getting the Quadracool then get the model with the Dual fan motors and not the one which has a single motor with two shafts running the two fans. The Quad Dual motor is worth the little premium over the single motor quad.

The double motor Quad is the m/c for silent running and uniform cooling rather than getting a blast of chilled air. Some people like to get that blast straight on and when they realize they cannot get it from the Quad they lay the blame on the m/c.

Otherwise just get the OG. It is a great machine but make sure you buy it from an authorized dealer and not from someone posing as one.

As I type this my 1 tonner OG is firing away in my bedroom which is 8 steps above and slightly offset from the hall where I am sitting. The distance from the a/c to my position should be a good 30 feet and with my ceiling fan at 1 in the hall my bones are beginning to feel the chill and it is the same scenario around the year here in Bombay irrespective of the time of the year. OGs are not OGs for nothing. Most of the people on the net complaining about the OG, have fake ones with kits from a certain 'Napoleon' which looks like the original but is not even as good as some of the local guys.

Last edited by khoj : 8th March 2010 at 01:43.
Old 8th March 2010, 02:26   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
If you are getting the Quadracool then get the model with the Dual fan motors and not the one which has a single motor with two shafts running the two fans.
alter.e.go asked about Quadricool Twin Motor
Old 8th March 2010, 12:16   #732
BHPian

Does it make sense to install split AC in rented house ?. I badly want to buy an air conditioner , but I am worried about shifting it when I change house
Old 8th March 2010, 12:29   #733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujai View Post
Does it make sense to install split AC in rented house ?. I badly want to buy an air conditioner , but I am worried about shifting it when I change house
I have multiple 6 year old Voltas split A/Cs that have moved every 2 years. No big deal, they work like new after every installation.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:50   #734
Distinguished - BHPian

I got my 2.0 ton Whirlpool Split AC installed in my living room on Saturday. It worked like a breeze to chill my 14 X 26 feet living room.

However, yesterday night when it was running for about an 1 hour. There was water dripping out of the front portion of the AC Unit so i had to hurriedly switch it off.

What could be wrong?
Old 8th March 2010, 12:59   #735
Team-BHP Support

The indoor and outdoor units are connected via 2 pipes.
One of them brings in the cold air. This pipe is made of copper and will have insulation wound on it.
Since its cold, water vapor in the room condenses on it.

I think the insulation might have slipped. Just check the pipes.

Last edited by bblost : 8th March 2010 at 13:00.

Most Viewed