Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 13:51   #751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have many outdoor units placed without shade and exposed to harshest of coastal rain/wind/sun. No issues at all after many years.

thanks Samurai for clarification . Even i had same concern. IF i can keep outdoor unit to harsh Mangalore weather.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:59   #752
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have many outdoor units placed without shade and exposed to harshest of coastal rain/wind/sun. No issues at all after many years.
Ask Mr. Electricity: Saving money on air conditioning
Quote:
14. Shade your condenser or window unit
Condensors in the shade use up to 10% less electricity than those in direct sunlight.
Old 9th March 2010, 17:22   #753
Senior - BHPian

panasonic has some new intelligent inverter technology on it's A/Cs. This seems to save power upto 50%. has anyone used/know about this? the following link has some details.
Intelligent Inverter | Eco Technologies | Panasonic ECO Asia Pacific
Old 9th March 2010, 17:27   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
panasonic has some new intelligent inverter technology on it's A/Cs. This seems to save power upto 50%.
Intelligent Inverter | Eco Technologies | Panasonic ECO Asia Pacific
When I inquired a couple of months back the pricing was around 40k - 5 star/1.5T. Decided not to go for it and bought an LG 5-star /1.5T last week for 28K. Buying an AC anything above (IMO) does not make sense as these machines need to be replaced after 10 years or so even if they are working fine because the power consumption of newer models will be less by 25% to 35%.

The Panasonic however is a real stunner by the looks; a Punto or a Polo among the AC's :-)

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 9th March 2010 at 17:41.
Old 9th March 2010, 18:03   #755
Senior - BHPian

thanks Sandeep, i think it's priced close to hitachi range. but if the power savings are substantial, i think it would payoff the difference in first few years of service. i am more interested in the feature by which it maintains the temp in house. i don't like the conventional style of heating and cooling of the room like a sine wave sort of thing. it is uncomfortable.
Old 9th March 2010, 18:53   #756
BHPian

Portable airconditioners

Hi,

Has anyone purchased/used a portable airconditioner? How good or bad is it? Any brands or vendors in Bangalore?

I am looking to buy one as i need one in the study room and it doesnt have the facility to fit a regular window a/c. Another option would be to fit in a split a/c but they seem an expensive option. Would like to know the pros and cons of both portable and split a/c before going for one.

Please give your suggestions.

-Pallavi
Old 9th March 2010, 21:38   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Hi,

Has anyone purchased/used a portable airconditioner? How good or bad is it? Any brands or vendors in Bangalore?

I am looking to buy one as i need one in the study room and it doesnt have the facility to fit a regular window a/c. Another option would be to fit in a split a/c but they seem an expensive option. Would like to know the pros and cons of both portable and split a/c before going for one.

Please give your suggestions.

-Pallavi
They exist and are quite popular in Australia, but I am quite certain you would not be able to find them locally. Maybe some members staying in Gulf could advise on the availability there. I have attached product info on two different types of portable a/cs(Air to Air & Water to Air) made by Delonghi for the market down under.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Delonghi PACC100.pdf (76.0 KB, 641 views)
File Type: pdf Delonghi PACW150ECO.pdf (76.8 KB, 1509 views)
Old 10th March 2010, 11:42   #758
BHPian

Thanks Khoj. I got some information about some vendors in Mumbai (Air Conditioners | Ductables | Condensing Units | Cassette). Wanted to know whether they are really effective. Can you point me to any reviews about them?

-Pallavi
Old 10th March 2010, 15:06   #759
Senior - BHPian

@Pallavi

Excellent find! I went through the site and also spoke to the seagull people.

The 1 Ton unit is priced at 22500/- with an years warranty and four service visits. 21 K if you do not want the service visits. The 0.8 tons was not quoted as those are out of stock. The machines are being imported. If you are running the m/c for say an hour or so then the condensed water can be taken care of by the machine itself but if the running is longer and especially during high humidity season the extra water will have to be piped out. The hot air also has to be expelled via a 5" dia pipe that will come with the unit.

That was the technical bit and now for the practical bit. While talking to the a/c wallah several things became obvious
1. There will always be two pipes running from the system to expel the water and the air. Since these pipes will be at floor level they will create clutter.
2. The room can never be effectively sealed against outside heat/moisture etc in other words the effectiveness goes down and the electric consumption will be exponentially higher compared to a standard installed a/c.
3. Since there is a single vendor(as of now) and the m/c is unique you will have to depend on them for any warranty issue or even routine service etc.

Per the company guy all most all of the requirement for these machines is from companies engaged in catering to events such as guest pavillions created for outdoor tv/film shooting, corporate events, political rallies etc etc where the requirement for a comfortable environ is temporary.

In fact he went on to offer a split a/c for my requirement and in view of the above it makes a lot of sense to me. I believe for the price quoted it is better to go for a split either buy one or hire one for the season and be done with it.

Last edited by khoj : 10th March 2010 at 15:07.
Old 10th March 2010, 15:47   #760
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need some help buying an a/c. My office cabin is a small area, maybe 12x20ft. I need a 0.8 or 1 ton a/c, and i'm sure any a/c will cool this area real fast. I'm looking for something thats inexpensive and my budget to blow on this is around 15k. a/c gurus please advise and thanks in advance.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:05   #761
Team-BHP Support

@NIP,
The AC size will also depend on the number of people, computers, lights etc inside the room.
Also the number of times the door will be opened and closed.

Please do buy a 5* rated AC. Since the usage will be high a 5* AC will result in significant savings compared to a 3* AC.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:24   #762
BHPian

I recentely brought a Daikin 1.5 t split (41 K) and and an Hitachi 1 ton split (30K), I have been using 2 hitachis windows for the past few years. Good power savings with the hitachi.
Lets see how the daikin performs!
Old 10th March 2010, 16:47   #763
Senior - BHPian

@netarchie

That is a splendid price on the Daikin. Who is the dealer and what is the model nomenclature?

The Daikin is a great machine, whisper quiet and ideally suitable for continues usage.
Old 10th March 2010, 17:01   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@worldcrawler
Look at Panasonic, selected models are available in the same price band as the Voltas. Nothing wrong with Voltas per se but Carrier is avoidable.

Why so? thought they made nice AC. ( EDIT: saw your other post )

mobike; got your AC?

Last edited by jkdas : 10th March 2010 at 17:04.
Old 10th March 2010, 17:11   #765
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@NIP,
The AC size will also depend on the number of people, computers, lights etc inside the room.
Also the number of times the door will be opened and closed.

Please do buy a 5* rated AC. Since the usage will be high a 5* AC will result in significant savings compared to a 3* AC.
Thanks bblost. My cabin has two people most of the time and during some meetings etc, 4-5 people for a couple of hours. I have 3 CFL lights, and only one is on most of the time.

What I want to know is, what makes/models are available at the 15k price point. I really don't want to spend on the a/c right now. I can stretch the budget a bit though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks