Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 10:25   #796
Senior - BHPian

Use an a/c only if you cannot stand the extreme heat or pollution !!!

It is not (electrically) economical to replace the full 'inside' air with 'pre-cooled air' from outside, so air conditioners have something called a 'refresh rate'.
My office a/c has a programmable refresh rate that is set at less than 20%. This means that only less than 20% fresh air is taken from outside (80% of already cold air is recirculated). The trouble with recirculated air is that it contains high percentage of CO2 that is already breathed out by the people.

In the long run, this would affect your lungs - small children are the most vulnerable.
Old 18th March 2010, 11:59   #797
Distinguished - BHPian

khoj... Thanks for the feedback re Blue Star, and also the earth heat exchange thing. Interesting, especially for a dream house!

jinojohnt... unless you seal up all the cracks, and never open a door, or you have just too many people in a room, you are not going to have a problem with your air!

Window AC units --- usually allow some mixing of outside air, simply by opening a small port behind the blower fan.

Domestic Split Units --- have no facility for drawing in fresh air.

Commercial Centralised Systems --- may have very sophisticated systems to control the rate of air replacement.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:18   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Gansan sir, Any reason why you say this ?
I do agree the saving per month between 3,4 and 5 star are very similar.

Is it like a diesel swift vs petrol swift thingy ?

However if you can spend 2-3k more (compared to similar 3 star models) and get at 5 star unit wouldn't that be better in the long run and in area where A/C's are a must than a luxury.

Just 2 - 3k more? I think the difference between 3* and 5* systems is more like ~5K, but the power saving is only incremental. And considering that the life of a new AC unit will be about 7 - 8 years at the most, I think 3* will suffice if the operating time is less. I typically operate my bedroom window unit (Samsung) for about 4 hours at night. Switch on at 10 PM, set the timer for 4 hours and once the unit goes off, I set the ceiling fan to full speed and open the windows for cross ventilation. I don't like to sleep the whole night in a closed room with AC on, it is plain unhealthy.

Last edited by Gansan : 18th March 2010 at 12:29.
Old 18th March 2010, 13:29   #799
Senior - BHPian

I've recently purchased two Logicool split 1.5tn AC's. They say its same as Hitachi but assembled in India. But the noise is very silent and chilling is good. Got sold for this being a subsidiary branch of Hitachi.

Can anyone let me know how reliable are these?

Last edited by Ramsagar : 18th March 2010 at 13:31.
Old 18th March 2010, 15:14   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
@Khoj Hmm...let's see what my parents have to say on this. And I dunno, a 1.1 tonner does a decent job of cooling my parents' room, and proportionally, if you multiply the ratio of volume of air in my room to volume of air in my parents room with 1.1, you'll get a figure of approximately 0.75 , especially since there is no direct sunlight into the room. But there'll be other factors involved, I guess.

And the initial cost of the AC won't be a problem. The increased bill of a 1.0/1.2 over a 0.75/0.8 will be.

I'll get the figures of room dimensions from my parents and then I'll get back to you. Thanks.
Hi anku94,
I just realised you have the QuadTM. You already have the best there is in window units so why not go for the same thing again. Window a/cs also have star ratings. Infact all of the electric appliances being sold have to have the ratings otherwise you cannot sell them. I would still recommend the 1.1 than the 0.75 as the a/c will reach the set temperature faster and cut out the compressor for longer duration compared to the smaller unit so the difference in consumption may be negligible. Further tomorrow if there is a change in your room size or the no. of people etc the bigger unit will still suffice whereas the smaller one may run out of breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Friends,

I am looking for a Split AC for my bedroom of 140 sqft area. What tonnage AC should I buy and what are the features I should look into when buying a Split AC. The reason for going for split AC is there is no provision for window AC. The bedroom has direct sunlight from 2 pm to 6 pm. I would be using the AC mostly during the nights and for a couple of hours during the afternoon. The qualities I am looking for in an Split AC are
1) Suitable tonnage 1.5 ton from any make or a 1.2 but only from one the Japanese big boys.
2) Competetive price Try kohinoor, Vijay etc. In Thane there is a Jain Traders supposed to be the most competitive for a/cs. They have two outlets one opposite JK Gram and the other near the station. The recently opened Next at Wondermall is running some introductory schemes and are desperate to not let you go without closing the deal
3) Ease of Maintenance, Good After Sales service. Generally all are the same
4) Peace of mind Let us know if you find it, it will be highly appreciated.

Is it neccessary to buy a stabilizer for AC. It has come to my notice that some AC have an in built stabilizer and even some have inverter. Can anybody enlighten on this.
In Thane most of the people I know do not have stabilizers with their a/cs as the voltage does not fluctuate in the city. If you are buying an air con that has the delay feature built in you can take a call on the transformer. For additional info read my earlier post #778.

No air con comes with a built in stabilizer but some units have this feature where they are able to operate within a given voltage range. I do have a Videocon 1.5 ton window a/c that has this feature and can operate from 180 to 260 Volts. I am using this in Delhi without any stabilizer at all. Incidentally it does not have a delay start.

The Inverter is not the power back up inverter but a new technology which in simple terms is a compressor with an accelerator. It can speed up or slow down the rpm of the compressor automatically depending on the load and saves on electricity costs by avoiding the current surge during the start stop cycles that a normal compressor goes through. I think I have elaborated on this in one of my earlier posts, more info on this thread provided by team member Kutlee Intelligent Inverter | Eco Technologies | Panasonic ECO Asia Pacific

In our markets Panasonic offers their 1.5ton inverter model for Rs. 56000 and Daikin is priced at 70K +.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
I've recently purchased two Logicool split 1.5tn AC's. They say its same as Hitachi but assembled in India. But the noise is very silent and chilling is good. Got sold for this being a subsidiary branch of Hitachi.

Can anyone let me know how reliable are these?
Logicool is a series/brand of Hitachi, Absolutely reliable and known for its silent running. Hitachi has india's largest air con assembly/manufacturing plant at Kadi in Gujarat so no surprises there.

Last edited by khoj : 18th March 2010 at 15:19.
Old 18th March 2010, 17:12   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Logicool is a series/brand of Hitachi, Absolutely reliable and known for its silent running. Hitachi has india's largest air con assembly/manufacturing plant at Kadi in Gujarat so no surprises there.
Haahh now I'm more relaxed. Thanks for the info.

I want to know what would be the major difference between Hitachi & Logicool. But there is price difference of 10K on each model.
Old 18th March 2010, 21:45   #802
BHPian

@Khoj We were opting for a 0.75 tonner Window AC initially, so the only options we had were LG and Voltas. But with some relative suggesting us a split and you suggesting us a 1.1 tonner, we've got a lot more to think of than we initially had. This will make my parents think over the whole stuff again, as we have a lot more options than we initially had.

So I'll let my parents know of your suggestions and I'll let you know what cooks up. This is gonna take some time as my coaching institute is taking us for a 8-day trip to Lonavala and my whole family is pretty excited about that. Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:44   #803
Senior - BHPian

I am looking forward to buy a 1.5 ton split a/c for my home. Looking at a 5 star rated one. How is Lloyds and Onida ? Heard that Lloyds is offering some good discount and is very efficient too. Any good suggestions ?
Old 19th March 2010, 11:03   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I am looking forward to buy a 1.5 ton split a/c for my home. Looking at a 5 star rated one. How is Lloyds and Onida ? Heard that Lloyds is offering some good discount and is very efficient too. Any good suggestions ?
I called a neighborhood AC mechanic last week for a complete service of my Samsung window unit that was coming out of hibernation. I am planning to replace it with a split unit and shift it to my parents' bedroom, so I asked for his opinion as to what brand to buy.

He opined it is always better to install a window unit and a spilt unit should be considered only if a window AC was not practical for some reason. His reason was the ease and cost of servicing during the life time of the unit. According to him it is always more expensive and difficult to service a spilt unit the same way he was servicing my window AC (taking the unit out, removing all the covers and completely washing the innards). I paid Rs 450 for the service and he said he will charge double for a spilt, even then it would not be possible to really clean the unit the way he can clean a window one.

Some food for thought. I am now wondering whether I should buy another window AC! Come to think of it, barring silence and aesthetics, I can't think of any other reason to choose a split. I think a window unit will be more efficient as well.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:26   #805
Senior - BHPian

while fitting window A/C a hole to the wall rite! one can't do it in rented house.
Just curious, what exactly the mechanic did during servicing?
Old 19th March 2010, 13:59   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I think a window unit will be more efficient as well.
On the contrary window units are less energy efficient than splits. You will be hard pressed to find a 5 star window unit.
Old 20th March 2010, 00:09   #807
BHPian

Home Airconditioners (AC) 1ton, 2ton, Window/Split Sorted Lists Excel sheet

Hi All,

Have been on the look out for air-conditioning my home and the total capacity that i require is approx 4-5tonnes.

Have been doing my research on the best AC's available.

The lists compiled are sourced from BEE Bureau Of Energy Efficiency

The sorting I have done in priority of:

a. Tonnage
b. EER (higher the rating, better the power savings)
c. Power consumption
d. Cooling Capacity
e. Approval date

The objective of the sorting is to help me get the most power saving, most powerful AC.

I am not an authority on AC's but so far my research tells me, and it might be helpful to people considering AC as an option:

1. Insulate your Walls:

Either through Thermocole lining of your walls & ceiling. Best done at the shell sage of house before starting painting, but after getting the electrical wiring sorted out.

Thermacole is a sterile medium(does not host bio organisms) so a safe option, its light & cheap.

2. Insulate windows:

Similar to Car window sunfilm, Sunfilm all your glass windows, especially so if they are large and are exposed to sun for a large part of the day.

Some of the options I am considering: 3M & VKool
Best quality assured by the above brands. Site survey will be done in couple of days, and i hope to upload my experience with them too!

Wish me luck!

If any one has the pricing data on the models listed, please do share + add it to the excel sheet in the last column and upload the same! Mucho gracias!

I am based in Bombay so all data on prices will be bombay based. Others may chip in with their respective cities.

If any one has any contact details of a good/excellent AC contractor who will take care of both the electrical & carpentry & masonry work in NEW BOMBAY or bombay , please do pass on the details.

Thanks much & hope this list helps.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx window.xlsx (37.0 KB, 551 views)
File Type: xlsx split.xlsx (26.7 KB, 1366 views)
Old 20th March 2010, 01:28   #808
BHPian

Home AC Energy Efficient Lists

Hi All,

Have been on the look out for air-conditioning my home and the total capacity that i require is approx 4-5tonnes.

a. Tonnage
c. Power consumption
d. Cooling Capacity
e. Approval date

The objective of the sorting is to help me get the most power saving, most powerful AC.

I am not an authority on AC's but so far my research tells me, and it might be helpful to people considering AC as an option:

1. Insulate your Walls:

Either through Thermocole lining of your walls & ceiling. Best done at the shell sage of house before starting painting, but after getting the electrical wiring sorted out.

Thermacole is a sterile medium(does not host bio organisms) so a safe option, its light & cheap.

2. Insulate windows:

Similar to Car window sunfilm, Sunfilm all your glass windows, especially so if they are large and are exposed to sun for a large part of the day.

Best quality assured by the above brands. Site survey will be done in couple of days, and i hope to upload my experience with them too!

Wish me luck!

If any one has the pricing data on the models listed, please do share + add it to the excel sheet in the last column and upload the same! Mucho gracias!

I am based in Bombay so all data on prices will be bombay based. Others may chip in with their respective cities.

If any one has any contact details of a good/excellent AC contractor who will take care of both the electrical & carpentry & masonry work in NEW BOMBAY or bombay , please do pass on the details.

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx split.xlsx (26.7 KB, 525 views)
File Type: xlsx window.xlsx (37.0 KB, 703 views)
Old 20th March 2010, 08:17   #809
BHPian

- Use AC to keep urself normal and comfortable and not to chill.
I keep my AC at 27/28 deg and find that it hardly gets switched on.
Its just enough to avoid the uncomfortable temperatures.

- Also keep the compressor in shade/build shade if not present.

- Use sleep mode so that the AC switches off sometime at night.

- For split, try to have the unit near to the compressor.

- Best option I find is to on the fan and keep the AC at 28 to 29 deg.
This really really helps. Try this. Set AC at some temp which you like and switch on the fan. You will feel that the AC temp can be increased. Continue increasing till you are comfortable with AC + fan combination.
subscrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2010, 13:16   #810
Senior - BHPian

See my responses in bold within your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulGarage View Post
Hi All,

a. Tonnage
c. Power consumption
d. Cooling Capacity
e. Approval date

1. Insulate your Walls:

Agree on properties of thermocole but the high density thermocole is not manufactured in India therefore the idea is not practical. For insulation it is better to have dual wall construction but this is possible only in a private construction.

2. Insulate windows: Really want to Insulate switch to Fenesta windows

Wish me luck! Good luck

You need to go to Vijay sales at Palm Beach Galeria, Aarcee in Sector 17 & Kings off the Palm Beach road in Nerul and you are sorted.

Contact the voltas dealer located in Vashi Plaza building in sector 17. They deal exclusively in Voltas but will provide service for other brands. The service in charge is Vikram @ 40744333, I found their people to be skilled and most importantly they have a lot of patience..very rare these days. However both Aarcee and Kings have teams that will take care of all the needs. With any Ac wallah you need to specify the services that you want before finalising the deal and they will arrange everything for an additional charge. Once the deal is through and then you start asking you might as well forget it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
- Use AC to keep urself normal and comfortable and not to chill.
I keep my AC at 27/28 deg and find that it hardly gets switched on.
Its just enough to avoid the uncomfortable temperatures.

- Also keep the compressor in shade/build shade if not present.

- Use sleep mode so that the AC switches off sometime at night.

- For split, try to have the unit near to the compressor.

- Best option I find is to on the fan and keep the AC at 28 to 29 deg.
This really really helps. Try this. Set AC at some temp which you like and switch on the fan. You will feel that the AC temp can be increased. Continue increasing till you are comfortable with AC + fan combination.
To achieve temperatures of 27 and up a cooler is much more cost effective than an a/c barring coastal regions where the cooler is a total waste. For me the air con works best at 24 degree C indoors as well as in my car both in Bombay and up North.

Last edited by Eddy : 20th March 2010 at 13:28. Reason: Thread merged. Thanks.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks