Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 14:08   #1021
Senior - BHPian

I have a doubt. Almost everyone refers to General ACs as O General. In my view the so called O is the General emblem which in fact is a G inside a circle and not O. One doesnt say T TATA if a TATA emblem precedes the word TATA.
AC gurus please clarify

Last edited by rajeev k : 28th April 2010 at 14:09. Reason: spelling correction
Old 28th April 2010, 14:41   #1022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I have a doubt. Almost everyone refers to General ACs as O General. In my view the so called O is the General emblem which in fact is a G inside a circle and not O. One doesnt say T TATA if a TATA emblem precedes the word TATA.
AC gurus please clarify
And a valid doubt it is. You will find somewhere on this page a long and sensible discussion on this topic, initiated by Samurai and I.

I just hope it doesn't start again. P.S. I am 100% sure it is indeed General and not "O" general.
Old 28th April 2010, 16:52   #1023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have slots in my bedrooms for a Window AC.
How do I figure out the tonnage of the A/C I need for my bedroom?
The flat is a 2BHK of size around 800 odd sq ft.
Will a 1 ton Window AC be good enough?
Yes, For a typical Mumbai bedroom a one ton air con is sufficient.

Quote:
Also, are all window ACs of the same size - i.e. will the slot in my wall exactly fit the AC - if not how well will the installer install it so that there is no gap? How much is the installation charge typically?
The sizes are standard across all manufacturers. In case the air con is smaller than the slot, the gap will be filled up with wood and faced off with ply. It would be better to have the gap divided on both sides of the air con as having wood on both sides will help in better vibration and sound damping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
And a valid doubt it is. You will find somewhere on this page a long and sensible discussion on this topic, initiated by Samurai and I.
I just hope it doesn't start again. P.S. I am 100% sure it is indeed General and not "O" general.
Sam, the 'L&S' discussion initiated by Samurai & yourself was indeed revived and concluded with the following post from me and the response from Samurai (use link)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1771736

Last edited by khoj : 28th April 2010 at 16:54.
Old 28th April 2010, 18:23   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Err...the website refers to the brand as "Ogeneral"
Old 28th April 2010, 22:41   #1025
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, (revival again!), a recent newspaper ad here referred to it as "General". Fujitsu General, actually, with no sign of an "O" whatsoever, except when used as a logo.

I'm convinced.
Old 28th April 2010, 22:58   #1026
BHPian

khoj- had a look at the panasonic a/c and decided on econ-sapphire.cost is 38000 with v-guard stabilizer and installation.
the compressor is mentioned as "super tropical" type.
any idea about it.
is it different from rotary and reciprocating compressors.
Old 28th April 2010, 23:06   #1027
Senior - BHPian

drbabuanand,

The compressor is a rotary rated to 22500 Btu with input power @ 2200W.
It is a good machine with an EER >10.

Earlier this evening it occurred to me that when we did the calculations some posts back did we not arrive at 2.5 ton and 3 ton as the suitable ratings for your given room sizes and now we are looking at 1.5 and 2 tons. Do correct me if I am mistaken.

Last edited by khoj : 28th April 2010 at 23:07.
Old 28th April 2010, 23:12   #1028
Senior - BHPian

I bought an LG window airconditioner, 1.5 Tons and 2 stars.

It makes a lot of noise! I called the LG guys but they said it was normal.

Am I hearing things now?
Old 28th April 2010, 23:34   #1029
BHPian

khoj
thanks for the lightening reply.as you said correctly i have two rooms with 225 and 300 sq feet. i have decided on the 2 ton panasonic and 1.5 ton quadricool hitachi window a/c.due to financial constraint i will settle for this set up now.if needed i may add a 1 ton to the bigger room.
Old 28th April 2010, 23:34   #1030
Senior - BHPian

@EssYouWe
That is an inbuilt feature on LG to supress all other ambient noise(s) to enable you to have a good night's sleep.

@drbabuanand

OK I can understand that. I would however suggest the following

1. Install the 2 ton in the 225 sq feet room so that at least this one is sorted.
Install the 1.5 in the 300 sq feet room as close to the actual area where the occupants might be in the room. Partition the remaining area if possible using nothing more than a curtain road and even a light lace curtain. At a later time install another 1.5 ton and not a 1 ton in this room.

OR

2. Go ahead with 1.5 in the 200 sq ft room and the 2 ton in the bigger room and later add a 1.5 to the bigger room but inter change the old air cons between the two rooms. this will again bring the end result to as suggested above.

OR YET

3. Buy the one air con which is required at priority and either rent a unit for the other room or wait till a suitable unit can be procured.

I hope I do not appear as if I am pushing you but that it is just a suggestion to enable you to actually be able to use the air cons to achieve the desired results = comfort.

Last edited by khoj : 28th April 2010 at 23:45.
Old 28th April 2010, 23:49   #1031
Senior - BHPian

I think OGeneral's line up is amongst the best. I've a 12 year old OGeneral (Made in Japan) 2 Ton Window AC, which is working superb till date (No repair or gas required). These Made in Japan machines are still available in the Grey Market (Karol Bagh being the hub in Delhi). Even today if I've to buy an AC I would go for these Grey market machines and not the official imports from Thailand of OGeneral. My uncle used to be in the AC business and he got us this Chilling machine, which cools the drawing room and the bed room within few minutes.
Old 29th April 2010, 00:19   #1032
Senior - BHPian

@tsk13,

Now you have to tell me which is a reliable shop in Karol Bagh, contact details and all. I am looking to buy a Daikin form their 'Ururu Sarara' range which is now available in the Gulf so should be there in Gaffar too. BTW I also need to replace our old GE fridge so let me know a vendor for that too again from the grey market unless you know someone in Lajpat Nagar itself.

@drbabuanand,

My apologies as now I am being intrusive but why not get two units both of Panasonic 2 tons.
On one hand this might get you a better deal than what you have for the single unit and on the other hand this will sort one room completely and also give you more comfort in the other room. Albeit your upfront outgo will go up by approx 11K.

@absynthguzzler,

Get the water drain vent within the indoor unit checked out. The mouth must be clogged and the water simply flows the other way and out from the air side.

Last edited by khoj : 29th April 2010 at 00:30.
Old 29th April 2010, 00:24   #1033
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
I think OGeneral's line up is amongst the best. I've a 12 year old OGeneral (Made in Japan) 2 Ton Window AC, which is working superb till date (No repair or gas required). These Made in Japan machines are still available in the Grey Market (Karol Bagh being the hub in Delhi). Even today if I've to buy an AC I would go for these Grey market machines and not the official imports from Thailand of OGeneral. My uncle used to be in the AC business and he got us this Chilling machine, which cools the drawing room and the bed room within few minutes.
On a side note : ... i had a laugh reading one after the other. And they both on the same page even !

General AC's are definitely one of the best in the market . We have LG splits at home and they have been working perfectly for the past 4 years . Of late we have started having water dripping from the vents profusely. The drain pipes are clean and the leveling is correct as well , we havent called the service guy yet to sort out the issue.
Old 29th April 2010, 07:10   #1034
Senior - BHPian

how good are daikin AC's?
And are these 'inverter' type AC's really more power saving ?
Old 29th April 2010, 08:42   #1035
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@EssYouWe
That is an inbuilt feature on LG to supress all other ambient noise(s) to enable you to have a good night's sleep.
Hmm - I was planning to get an LG 1 Ton Window A/C!! Is it more noisy than other similiar brands? The main reason for me to go for LG is because their after sales service is easily the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks