Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 17:34   #1111
BHPian

Thank you khoj.

When it comes to multi-split ACs, do I need to have a 15 amp socket on both the rooms or will it suffice on one of the rooms?.

Lastly, does it make sense to go for multi-splits or to buy 2 split ACs?

If it where for multi-splits, I might go for the Hitachi 2.0 Atom square for ~ 57k.
Would you recommend this model?.

Thank you for helping out once again.
Old 12th May 2010, 19:25   #1112
Senior - BHPian

You are welcome drvhplyevraftr, please see my replies in bold below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Thank you khoj.

When it comes to multi-split ACs, do I need to have a 15 amp socket on both the rooms or will it suffice on one of the rooms?.

Aircons should be connected to 15amps socket only.

Lastly, does it make sense to go for multi-splits or to buy 2 split ACs?

That decision should be made based on the space available for install, your own preference and if the required tonnage is available.

If it where for multi-splits, I might go for the Hitachi 2.0 Atom square for ~ 57k.
Would you recommend this model?.

For the application we are looking at, with 23400 Btu it does not have the required total tonnage in my opinion.

Thank you for helping out once again.
Having said that I would ask you to discuss with a couple of different dealers as they would be more aware of the local conditions and suitable capacities etc. If in their opinion a 1 ton is good enough for an individual room then you could take a call on putting your money down on the Atom square.
Old 12th May 2010, 20:48   #1113
BHPian

Been away for a while and am back. The first thing to do for the heat was an a/c. After reading this thread and on excellent advice from khoj, had zeroed in onto General 1.5 (or was it O'General, hehe) and Hitachi Quadricool TM 1.5 but the Hitachi curved front grill doesn't suit my windows (cannot break/alter windows or walls) and the General would take 2-3 days to deliver which I wouldn't want to wait for. So have booked Voltas Vertis Plus 1.5 Ton for 19490/- from Croma. Supposed to deliver tomorrow with an installation max day after. Will post details of performance then. Some analysis of my purchase:-
Available brands:
LG (not considered due to problems with my LG fridge and microwave within 1 year of purchase), Samsung/Electrolux/Whirlpool/Onida/Carrier/Bluestar etc (due to problems of various kind reported on this thread and unfavourable remarks elsewhere), Daikin not in the finalists since they don't make window units.
Why Voltas?
No major complaints (at least not too loud ones) against the brand/product/service on this thread or elsewhere. This particular model (Vertis Plus) sits a little higher in the Vertis series and comes highly recommended too.
Long standing maker of refrigeration/air conditioning equipment. The first company to start with star rated products (correct me if wrong).
Positive comments galore (e.g. Samurai on his split a/c s, refrigerators and a/c s running hassle free for over 15 years at various relatives' places etc).
Attractive prices (as compared to Hitachi and General) add to the value. While Voltas a/c s are more expensive than LG/Samsung products, their reported reliability is good too. BTU/EER thingies weren't too bad either.
I wouldn't have minded paying 6-7 K extra for the General/Hitachi unit (was quoted 25K for General unit and 27.5 K for the Hitachi one) but since I couldn't get them to suit my requirements of fitment or urgency, getting a Voltas (and saving a few bucks too) seemed like a good deal. Whether it turns out to be so for good, only time will tell.
Thanks to TBHP and especially khoj.
Old 12th May 2010, 22:20   #1114
BHPian

Split in choice!!

wow, I was looking for AC reviews elsewhere and then decided to check back here. After reading thru, i realized i have wasted time googling.
Hope Khoj can help me too to make choice.

Location is Chennai; not near sea (about 14 km away from shore)..
House is on top floor, so all rooms are exposed to heat.
I want to put AC in 2 rooms
Bed 1 - 15 x11.5 - only roof exposed to sun light
Bed 2 - 13.5 x 11.5 - roof and 1 wall exposed to sun light

I would also like to explore using any good air filter, since my son has wheezing and is allergic to pollen dust.

Can you suggest some good choices. Many thanks in advance

Last edited by druva : 12th May 2010 at 22:21.
Old 12th May 2010, 23:54   #1115
BHPian

Khoj:

I may have to pass on the multi-split option as none of the retailers/dealers seem to carry it, besides I am myself having second thoughts about it as it looks like the only USP for multi-splits is the space.

Anyways I inquired a few shops around today and here are my current options:
1) Whirlpool Chrome III 1.5 ton 3 star - 24k with stabilizer and installation
2) LG 5LP3AJ 1.5 ton 3 star - 26k with stabilizer and installation
3) Samsung 183USB 1.5 ton 3 star - 25.5 k with stabilizer and installation

4) Samsung 185UGA 1.5 ton 5 star - 30.2 k with installation (S Series - no stabilizer required)
5) Samsung 185USB 1.5 ton 3 star - 29.5 k with stabilizer and installation
6) Hitachi Follow Me 1.2 ton 5 star - 33 k with stabilizer and installation

I will inquire in few more shops tomorrow.

Given that my budget is max 55k for two 1.5 ton ACs, I am inclined towards
options 1, 2, 3. Which one is better between 1, 2, 3?.

Any other 1.5 ton 3 star option in the range of 25 - 27k?.

Thank you.

Last edited by drvhplyevraftr : 12th May 2010 at 23:57.
Old 13th May 2010, 01:51   #1116
Senior - BHPian

@Delta Wing

Congratulations on your new possession. Will look forward to your post on performance analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Khoj:

I may have to pass on the multi-split option as none of the retailers/dealers seem to carry it, besides I am myself having second thoughts about it as it looks like the only USP for multi-splits is the space.

Anyways I inquired a few shops around today and here are my current options:
1) Whirlpool Chrome III 1.5 ton 3 star - 24k with stabilizer and installation
2) LG 5LP3AJ 1.5 ton 3 star - 26k with stabilizer and installation
3) Samsung 183USB 1.5 ton 3 star - 25.5 k with stabilizer and installation

4) Samsung 185UGA 1.5 ton 5 star - 30.2 k with installation (S Series - no stabilizer required)
5) Samsung 185USB 1.5 ton 3 star - 29.5 k with stabilizer and installation
6) Hitachi Follow Me 1.2 ton 5 star - 33 k with stabilizer and installation

I will inquire in few more shops tomorrow.

Given that my budget is max 55k for two 1.5 ton ACs, I am inclined towards
options 1, 2, 3. Which one is better between 1, 2, 3?.

1&3 are good drop the 2

Any other 1.5 ton 3 star option in the range of 25 - 27k?. see below

Thank you.
What is it with retailers down South, the prices coming out are a minimum 10% higher than those in the rest of the country. Bargain hard if you are buying two pieces together. From your list above the Smasung S series 185UGA is the best bet. At 30.2 you are looking at 60K. Negotiate very very hard for one piece and when you feel the price is at its rock bottom introduce the requirement of the second machine and squeeze some more. I am sure you will get the two units well within 55K. There is also the Hitachi KAZE 3 star 1.5 ton MRP @ 30740/- model being RAU018KQDD. Try the to bargain for the Kaze machine and see what comes out of it. Between the two Hitachi is so much better than the Samsung even with the lower star rating. Just for information's sake the 1.2 ton unit from the KAZE range is priced at 28490/- model RAU013KQDD and this one is rated 4 star.

Other 1.5 ton options in the sub 30 K range could be the Panasonic CS-YC18JKY-1(2 STAR) or the Panasonic CS-PC18KKY(4STAR), they do not have a 3 star. See the link below for details and dealer contact details.

Hitachi used to accept direct orders so that the local sales tax can be saved upon. Talk to your dealer regarding the same if he does not have Kaze in stock. The aircon will be delivered direct by the company to you rest remains the same as in buying from a dealer's stock as the dealer gets his commission from the company. Less than what he would earn otherwise so this sometimes can be a bargaining tool too, not always though.

Just in case you are open to window air conditioners you could look at the Hitachi Quadracool TM rated at 3 stars the TM machine is as silent as a split and is a full 1.5 ton machine. MRP is 27490 each and model is RAV018EQDZ1.

See attachments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
wow, I was looking for AC reviews elsewhere and then decided to check back here. After reading thru, i realized i have wasted time googling.
Hope Khoj can help me too to make choice.

Location is Chennai; not near sea (about 14 km away from shore)..
House is on top floor, so all rooms are exposed to heat.
I want to put AC in 2 rooms
Bed 1 - 15 x11.5 - only roof exposed to sun light
Bed 2 - 13.5 x 11.5 - roof and 1 wall exposed to sun light

I would also like to explore using any good air filter, since my son has wheezing and is allergic to pollen dust.

Can you suggest some good choices. Many thanks in advance
@druva

You will require a minimum of 1.5 tons per the given information. In order to choose a suitable air filter I suggest you take a look at the Panasonic range as they come in built with pollen busters etc. The links are provided below and the prices range from High end with the virus buster at the high end to very competitive with the Pearl and Silver ranges. There are no after market choices with the filters. In case you are interested in the window units please look at the attachment below for the Hitachi Quadricool. Once you have firmed up regarding the type (window/split) and budget etc then the selection can be fine tuned.
Single Split Air Conditioner | Home Appliances | Panasonic India
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hitachi Kaze updated.pdf (1.91 MB, 1151 views)
File Type: pdf Hitachi Quardicool TM.pdf (1.95 MB, 589 views)

Last edited by khoj : 13th May 2010 at 01:59.
Old 13th May 2010, 02:10   #1117
BHPian

I have brought 3 AC's of Onida about 3 year ago all are same models. I think its trendy or somewhat model (don't remember exactly) and still working fine. I just clean the filters every 3 months. I will just suggest you to buy onida AC's only these are awesome machines.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:41   #1118
BHPian

iamback:

Thank you for your suggestions.

Khoj:
Thank you for your reply.

One thing which the whirlpool sales guy mentioned that Whirlpool
can be compared with Hitachi as they use the Japanese made
compressor. Is this true to your knowledge?.

It is after all the bargaining that the price came down to 30.2
for the Samsung 185USB. The starting price was 30.9. Infact when
I went to the shop there were 3 more customers interested on this
Samsung model and I just joined them in the bargaining process.
The 3 others said if he is ready to come down to 29k they will buy
but this guy quoted 30.2 max, finally all 4 said enough and left
the store. No wonder why the sales guys are so adamant, due to the
soaring temperatures in Hyderabad, people are thronging to the stores
to buy the ACs.

Anyways, coming to the topic, I am looking at buying something that
I could use for the next 7 - 10 years. So reliability/serviciability
is important. I have already heard good reviews about Hitachi, if it
might check all my boxes, I might consider upping my budget and go
for the Hitachi Kaze models (1.2 or 1.5). I will also check out the
Panasonic options and get back to you if I need any further help.

Thank you.

Last edited by drvhplyevraftr : 13th May 2010 at 11:42.
Old 13th May 2010, 14:43   #1119
Senior - BHPian

@Khoj and other experts.
AC requirements-
!.5 ton split. Budget- 25k. Selected Onida and Whirlpool. Have also been recommended videocon but got no idea how they are so if anyone is using do let me know.
1.5ton window- budget- 20k around. Or even 1.2T will do if AC is good enough.

Kindly suggest.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:06   #1120
BHPian

Harry10, I've been using Onida Split for 3 yrs now, its great machine.

for window A.C. check Samsung, its in my bedroom and used heavily, only normal service and using it heavily since 5 yrs now.
Old 13th May 2010, 16:02   #1121
Senior - BHPian

@HVJ

I would rate Whirlpool followed by Videocon followed by Onida.

For the window unit you may look at Hitachi 1.1 ton model RAV012EQD. For the 1.5 ton in that price range look at Whirlpool 1.5 ton Royale model WAR18G30RW0 priced at 20500 it is a 3 star rated machine or Voltas Vertis Platina 1.5 ton priced at 23000 also with 3 star rating.
Old 13th May 2010, 16:31   #1122
BHPian

Got Hitachi Quadracool TM 1.5T model RAV018EQDZ1 a couple of days back from Vasanth & Co for 26500/- including Premier 4KVA stabilizer. The same package from Vivek was costing a neat 1500/- more.

Yday, @6pm Installation was done it seems by the delaer technician..though the final installation job was neat, but the way the a/c was handled and the manner in which the installation doc was filled in, I was pretty much dissatisfied. No tools/devices were used to check if the current drawn/cooling achieved was as per specs or not. Called up Hitachi customer care @8pm, and blasted them...they have agreed to send a Hitachi technician today @6pm for demo and carry out installation inspection.

A/c has been running from 8pm yday non-Stop, and am satisfied with the performance.

Now, my question is, how do I know if the A/c is functioning at its optimum, so that it does not end up consuming more power than what it is supposed to. Any checklist to go thru to ensure the installation is perfect.

As per installation manual, the technician is supposed to check the inlet temp, outlet temp and arrive at some delta figure..any clue how it is supposed to be done?

What exactly should I ask the Hitachi engineer to check for and verify so that I am satisfied that the installation is correctly done?
Old 13th May 2010, 17:31   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Harry10, I've been using Onida Split for 3 yrs now, its great machine.

for window A.C. check Samsung, its in my bedroom and used heavily, only normal service and using it heavily since 5 yrs now.
Thanks.
I am wary of samsung though as experience has not been good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@HVJ

I would rate Whirlpool followed by Videocon followed by Onida.

For the window unit you may look at Hitachi 1.1 ton model RAV012EQD. For the 1.5 ton in that price range look at Whirlpool 1.5 ton Royale model WAR18G30RW0 priced at 20500 it is a 3 star rated machine or Voltas Vertis Platina 1.5 ton priced at 23000 also with 3 star rating.
Alright.thanks.
So is the whirlpool chrome series currently going on in split fine in 1.5T?
I was in the favor of Onida cos a friend is using the new split and is really all praise for it.
Old 13th May 2010, 22:15   #1124
BHPian

How good are Bluestar ACs?. My friend says he has some contacts with Bluestar dealer and can get some discount. I am interested in a Bluestar 1.5 3 star split AC.
I think the model # is 3HW181YC.

Thank you.
Old 14th May 2010, 11:52   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@Delta Wing

@druva

You will require a minimum of 1.5 tons per the given information. In order to choose a suitable air filter I suggest you take a look at the Panasonic range as they come in built with pollen busters etc. The links are provided below and the prices range from High end with the virus buster at the high end to very competitive with the Pearl and Silver ranges. There are no after market choices with the filters. In case you are interested in the window units please look at the attachment below for the Hitachi Quadricool. Once you have firmed up regarding the type (window/split) and budget etc then the selection can be fine tuned.
Single Split Air Conditioner | Home Appliances | Panasonic India

Thanks Khoj. I will have to go for Split AC only as there is no provision for Window AC.

Budget - below 30k.

Regarding Panasonic - the dealers are telling that it does not sell that much. Also I am not sure about the service. Any pointers?

Regarding filters - is it better to go for separate ones or inbuilt ones?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks