Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 14:29   #1156
Senior - BHPian

What ever you buy! Do not buy Videocon.

My friend who runs a Guest house bought 11 of them about a week ago only because he was getting very good offer on the bulk buy.

One week into the service, most of them makes horrible noise from fan. ANd no! we have a very good installer, so no question on that side. Its definitely the AC that is badly made.
It trips a lot and runs only in AUTO mode or it will just display a timer sign flashing continuously after about 10 minutes of running. Only way to reset is to put off through MCB and putting it back on after 2 minutes.
Old 18th May 2010, 14:47   #1157
SCH
BHPian

1.5 Ton 3 Star Godrej or Whirlpool AC

Hi,

Kindly advise which Window AC is better in performance . 3 STAR ;1.5 Tons Godrej (GWC 18GH3WJM) or Whirlpool ( WAR 18G30RWO ). I am told by the delaer that both have the same Japanese 1.5 tons Compressor. Weight wise Godrej is 52 kgs, whereas whirlpool is 71 kgs. The excess weight ia as the dealer says all other companies use foam for internal packing whereas whirlpool has steel plates.

Also similar voltas 1.5 ton 3 star window ac was discouraged by the dealer due to bad service. According to him Godrej has better service.

Pls. give your opinion about the above two. Godrej is Rs. 500 cheaper to whirlpool.
Old 18th May 2010, 14:54   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
You are welcome drvhplyevraftr, please see my replies in bold below.

Having said that I would ask you to discuss with a couple of different dealers as they would be more aware of the local conditions and suitable capacities etc. If in their opinion a 1 ton is good enough for an individual room then you could take a call on putting your money down on the Atom square.
Khoj:
Just wanted to Thank you for helping me out.

However I did not buy what I intended to buy (Hitachi)
and ended up buying Samsung AS182SSB 2 star 1.5 ton
at 23k with installation and stabilizer.

I was interested in buying the Hitachi Kaze 1.2 ton
but I could not find that model anywhere in Hyd. So I
called up the dealer/distributor and he mentioned that
KAZE is only available for North Indian market and not
for south which did not make any rationale to me. He
said only ACE Follow ME will be available in Hyderabad.
The 1.2 ACE Follow Me is about 33k and well beyond
my budget.

I then did some calculations based on the information
from the following link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1886798-post3524.html
If the power consumption given for the Samsung model
I bought and the Hitachi models are realistic, it would take
me several years to break-even for the extra cost I
would have invested on a Hitachi.

Besides as none of the walls are directly exposed to
sunlight and since my apartment is not on the top floor
I would not need a AC which cools relatively fast or
chills to my bones etc.

So I settled on the Samsung which seems to meet my
requirements to the T. I am kind of alergic to too
much chillness and I had to set the temperature at
25/26 to keep myself comfortable and it has been fantastic
the last couple of days. I will just hope that it
continues to work the same way for the next several
years.

Thank you for your suggestions and help.

BTW good that I did not go for the multi-split option as it would
have been nearly impossible for the installer to install the
compressor in one location and route the cables to both the ACs.
Besides the distance for the AC (from the compressor) in the
second room would have been huge that there certainly would
have been too much of inefficinency. I think multi-splits make sense
when you want to AC 2 adjacent rooms and would also like to
save some space in the process.

Last edited by drvhplyevraftr : 18th May 2010 at 14:55.
Old 18th May 2010, 16:13   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
Hi,

Kindly advise which Window AC is better in performance . 3 STAR ;1.5 Tons Godrej (GWC 18GH3WJM) or Whirlpool ( WAR 18G30RWO ). I am told by the delaer that both have the same Japanese 1.5 tons Compressor. Weight wise Godrej is 52 kgs, whereas whirlpool is 71 kgs. The excess weight ia as the dealer says all other companies use foam for internal packing whereas whirlpool has steel plates.

Also similar voltas 1.5 ton 3 star window ac was discouraged by the dealer due to bad service. According to him Godrej has better service.

Pls. give your opinion about the above two. Godrej is Rs. 500 cheaper to whirlpool.
19 kilos of steel plates for internal packing! After radioactive pencils Whirlpool air cons will be the next favourite on the list of Mayapuri's scrap dealers. The air con dealer's sense of humour is reason enough to do business with him

Based on the fact that a member arup10 has verified Sanyo compressor in his 2 star 1 ton Whirlpool machine it would be prudent to get Whirlpool. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1885317-post1126.html

The quantum of extra weight does tell us that there is indeed more metal in the Whirlpool. It could be due to more fins in a given cross section indicating that the fins are finely drawn which is good . Further it might be that better guage of copper piping and tubing/venturi is used and they would therefore have more bends in their heat exchanger all of which make for a more efficient machine. The fan motor windings too might be copper in the heavy one and Aluminium in the lighter one. Last but not the least the chassis itself could be made from a heavier guage which is again a good thing to have. All of this is assuming that the compressors are identical=same weight.

Given that both Whirlpool and Godrej have well organized after sales networks the extra 500 would be money well spent.

On second thoughts do ask the dealer to slide the machines out of the chassis and show you both the compressors. Do post what you observe, it will be of help to all concerned. BTW my suggestion of buying Whirlpool even if the compressors are identical remains unchanged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Khoj:

I then did some calculations based on the information
from the following link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1886798-post3524.html
If the power consumption given for the Samsung model I bought and the Hitachi models are realistic, it would take me several years to break-even for the extra cost I would have invested on a Hitachi.

Besides as none of the walls are directly exposed to sunlight and since my apartment is not on the top floor I would not need a AC which cools relatively fast or chills to my bones etc.

So I settled on the Samsung which seems to meet my requirements to the T. I am kind of alergic to too much chillness and I had to set the temperature at
25/26 to keep myself comfortable and it has been fantastic the last couple of days. I will just hope that it continues to work the same way for the next several years.
Hi drvhplyevraftr,

Congratulations on your new possession. You did very well in getting the 1.5 ton Smasung. Your analysis in arriving at the final selection is spot on and should be a good guide to all looking to buy a new air con and finding themselves surrounded in the maze woven by brand names, star ratings and other marketing paraphernalia.

Be cool and enjoy the summers.
Ciao.

EDIT SCH

Read drvhplyevraftr's post above he has done a similar analysis.

Last edited by khoj : 18th May 2010 at 16:33.
Old 18th May 2010, 16:29   #1160
SCH
BHPian

Given that both Whirlpool and Godrej have well organized after sales networks the extra 500 would be money well spent.

On second thoughts do ask the dealer to slide the machines out of the chassis and show you both the compressors. Do post what you observe, it will be of help to all concerned. BTW my suggestion of buying Whirlpool even if the compressors are identical remains unchanged.

Thanks Khoj for your fast response. Another querry regarding the BEE ratings. As per the dealer there is not much significant change whether the rating is 2 or 3 in Window AC. As per him the material and other things are same in both the AC's. I also went throught the earlier posts on this. The price difference of Godrej between 2 and 3 star rating is Rs. 2000. I am personally inclined towards Whirlpool as one of my colleague in office has a better experience with it. he stays in Indirapuram and there is a NALA near his apartment. He noticed that the gas in his AC llasted two months more than Onida and LG of same tonnage. May be as you rightly mentioned the extra weight is due to the heavier coils. etc.

Kindly let me know whether it would be a prudent decision to go for a 2 star Window AC, rather then a 3 star.

Last edited by SCH : 18th May 2010 at 16:31.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:01   #1161
Senior - BHPian

@khoj- Have selected these 2 out of so many options.KIndly suggest which one is better.
Whirlpool India > Products > Air Conditioners > Split > Aviator III

Speedcool

My requirement is a 1.5T split with budget hanging around 25k.
Am inclined more towards whirlpool as a friend using a previous gen split is quiet happy and the machine looks really attractive however as am not too good at specs so expert opinion is what i will go with.

Thanks.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:17   #1162
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest Whirlpool.

EDIT Read under features, some differences are there but mechanically they seem identical.

EDIT SCH

Read drvhplyevraftr's post above he has done a similar analysis.

Last edited by khoj : 18th May 2010 at 17:23.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:20   #1163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest Whirlpool.
Alright.
Thanks.

Also just saw this one on their site also Whirlpool India > Products > Air Conditioners > Split > Chrome III
Can't understand the diff between the two.
Old 18th May 2010, 20:10   #1164
SCH
BHPian

Quote:
[b] Kindly let me know whether it would be a prudent decision to go for a 2 star Window AC, rather then a 3 star.
Hi I checked today at the dealer between two models of Whirlpool WAR 18G30RWO ( 3 star) and WAR18B20DWO ( 2 star). 3 star weighs 71 kg, 2 star weighs 54 kg. I was told by the dealer that there are more cooling coils in 3 star AC. The EER of 2 star is 2.69 but of 3 star is 2.84.

The cooling o/p is 4090 for 2 star and 5050 for 3 star. The consumption of power for 2 star is 1.8 Watts per hour. for 3 star is 1.7 watts per hour.

The price difference is Rs. 2000. The dealer told me that the 2 star would take comparitivly a little longer to cool the room compared to 3 star. He also said that he suggests 2 star even though his store sale would be more if he sales a 3 star. Kindly suggest what the dealer says is right and if it is advisable to go for 2 star. with reference to the power consumption above.

My only concern is that as evident the 3 star has a much heavier body and might be better in the long run.

Kindly help in clearing this confusion. I have zeored down on WHIRLPOOL an would like to buy it tomorrow.
Old 18th May 2010, 20:46   #1165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi I checked today at the dealer between two models of Whirlpool WAR 18G30RWO ( 3 star) and WAR18B20DWO ( 2 star). 3 star weighs 71 kg, 2 star weighs 54 kg. I was told by the dealer that there are more cooling coils in 3 star AC. The EER of 2 star is 2.69 but of 3 star is 2.84.

The cooling o/p is 4090 for 2 star and 5050 for 3 star. The consumption of power for 2 star is 1.8 Watts per hour. for 3 star is 1.7 watts per hour.

The price difference is Rs. 2000.

My only concern is that as evident the 3 star has a much heavier body and might be better in the long run.

Kindly help in clearing this confusion. I have zeored down on WHIRLPOOL an would like to buy it tomorrow.
I would invest the extra amount.

However, on MRP the price difference is 1500/-. What with the price being 19000/- for the 2 star and 20500/- for the 3 star (both units being same in colour).
Old 18th May 2010, 21:14   #1166
SCH
BHPian

Quote:
I would invest the extra amount.

However, on MRP the price difference is 1500/-. What with the price being 19000/- for the 2 star and 20500/- for the 3 star (both units being same in colour).
Thanks Khoj, I would go for the 3 star. actually the dealer is offering me 3 star for Rs. 19,500 and 2 star for 17,500. He is offering me 2500 for old AC and 500 for old stabiliser. Hence the deal for 3 star is 19500 + 2500 (new stabliser). = 22000 minus 3000 = Rs 19000.
Old 18th May 2010, 21:31   #1167
Senior - BHPian

What is the old ac rating? If it is 1.5 ton you can get 4000 for it in Delhi, working or not working. I can provide you numbers of the guys who would buy but then they have not seen your ac and am not sure about the expenses related to logistics and Noida Delhi border issues. Try and contact the local scrap guy you will get better amount or press the dealer for more.

Old transformer return price is in line . Just yesterday, I sold an old 4Kva Electrom for 500/ and picked up a 2 step, non timer delay, 4 kva, 180~270V Logicstat transformer for 2150/- cash but with warranty.
Old 18th May 2010, 23:11   #1168
BANNED

On a slightly tangential note, I was wondering if anyone has tried using dehumidifiers instead of ACs in their homes. In places like Bombay or Madras, it's the humidity which causes as much issues as the temperature. So a theoritically a dehumidifier should atleast provide some relief.
Any idea how much a dehumidifier costs? Is it effective? Does it require any installation or venting like ACs?
Old 19th May 2010, 00:21   #1169
Senior - BHPian

@carboy

Here, check them out
Dehumidifiers | Air Engineering | Air Purifiers | HVAC&R | Bryair.com
Old 19th May 2010, 01:58   #1170
BHPian

Hey Guys,
Pardon my observation, but there is a lot of discussions about 1.2-1.5 ton A/Cs. I am looking for a 2.0 ton A/C for my bedroom.
My current A/C is a voltas vertis 2.0 ton (5 years old).
My requirements are:
1. It should be 2.0 ton (I have a huge bedroom)
2. It has to be a split A/C and should operate silently (noise)
3. Money is no constraint
4. Should be feature laden
5. Reliability is very important
6. Service network and complaint turn around should be awesome
7. Should be visually appealing

So experts please help me out here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks