Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 12:27   #1651
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I am getting Panasonic CS-YC18MKY (1.5 ton, 3 Star) with installation for 20,110/-. Stabilizer extra if needed. Is the price worth it?
The price looks good, but the model looks kind of dated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
samsung I ve found is first class. excellent after sales service too.
a 1 tonner with 3 star rating, including stablizer and installation free, costs a total of about 23500/- in Bangalore.
A good price in my opinion.
A 1 tonner for 23.5 k ? Isn't that high ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
I have uploaded a snap the remote which belongs to my 2 yr old Samsung split A/C. Notice the remote display closely. All the fields are lit up (when it should either be blank or it should display the temperature). This happens when I switch on the A/C using the remote. The A/C doesn't power on, but the remote remains in this condition.
It doesn't happen always but 8 out of 10 times. When this happens I have to tap the remote against the palm of my hand and then again try to switch on the a/c. Generally I succeed in the third or fourth attempt. If I leave the remote untouched for 3/4 minutes it goes blank and I can attempt to switch on the A/C again.

Does anyone know the solution (other than approaching Samsung Service).

Thanks in advance.
There is a reset button inside the battery compartment, use a metal object to reset the remote and use new batteries.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 11th April 2011 at 12:28.
Old 11th April 2011, 21:58   #1652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
The sq ft area comes to 157 for my room including the exit passage(17 sq ft) which has an entry door for the bathroom too. This measurement does not includes the carpet area taken away by the furniture.
Hi tush, you should not deduct floor area covered by furniture. Just consider total floor area. Its important to arrive at volume of air inside a room, that's why all online calculation sheets will ask for height of room too. You can discount that 17 sqft passage by hanging a curtain the mouth of this passage.

I am confused by your room data as seen below:
Quote:
##################################
Area (Sq. ft.) = 157
Height (Ft) = 8.74
Usage of the room = Residence
No of Persons = 2
City = Pune
Desired Inside Temperature = 24
Exposed to Sunlight Glass Area (sq. ft) ->
North = 3.06 (These are the round big designer holes as part of construction given by the builder. However I have covered them with the glass sliding window)
South = 3.06 (Same as North)
East = 28 ( 7.5 x 3.82 Sliding Window)

Exposed to Sunlight - Wall Length including glass (ft.) ->
North = 11.33

If there is any wall which is not exposed to sunlight but is exposed to internal non air conditioned area, then please provide the length of all those walls (r.ft) ->
North = 16.70 (This is the wall that separates my room with the living room and has exit door to my room)

South = 8.42 (My room separated by the neighbours)

Construction over the roof = Yes
Ground Floor = No
Computer = 1
Printer = 1 (Its an all in one HP 4355)

Tonnage as per the calculation : 1.18
##################################
From this data it seems the rest of your house (living room etc) is on the east (as per window data) and south window is overlooking neighbour over a courtyard. However, status of north wall is not clear, refer bold sections above. Moreover east wall having big sliding window is also not listed as sun exposed wall.

Anyway, if its only north wall which is exposed to direct sunlight, heat gain is very low. You may want to update and try the Daikin calculation again. Certain brands have 1.2 ton as well, you may want to have a look at it. As mentioned in my post refered to by you, compare the cfm as well when comparing brands.

As for me I set my Daikin at 28deg C and its very cold, sometimes too cold for comfort. Maybe the thermostat is not caliberated correctly.
Old 12th April 2011, 00:17   #1653
BANNED

It is a E50KV Series .Says Made In Thailand .Dealer Name .
I have to get the bill over the weekend .
I had asked him to send ogeneral recip compressor .But he said it is not available since supply from Singapore/Gulf is restricted .
So i ended asking him to send daikin once he told the price of 24K .

To be truthfull i would have been much more happier and less troubled with window as so much of walls were broken and the painter would be called now and space from earlier window ac will need to be filled up.

I do not know the dealer name .He is a friends relative so we just order on the phone.
He did mention prices would be increasing from 11or 12 (I dnt remember clearly the date).

Also i cancelled my booking for which i had paid Croma 23,840/- INR for Windows LG 1.5tonne for good :-)
Old 12th April 2011, 00:26   #1654
BANNED

A nice thread.

I am looking for an Airconditioner.

The room size is : 15*13 = 195 Sqft
Room is : East Facing
Room has : 6ft by 8 ft LARGE windows on the east
Room has : Slanted roof facing East
Room has : a Baywindow facing North
Slanted roof : Height at the West is not exposed to sunlight and is 14 ft high
Slanted roof : Height at East is 8 feet sloping east and is a concrete structure
Room is: not exposed to sunlight on the North side
Room has : no windows on the South side is is seldom exposed to sunlight

So much for the techincal details given. I need an A/C that can keep this room cool.

I have almost finalised on the Godrej Eon- Krystal series 5-star rated Split A/C. Priced at 32680/- with free stabiliser and installation.

Is the price good and is the A/C unit a good choice.........?
Old 12th April 2011, 02:20   #1655
Senior - BHPian

32680 for a Godrej, might as well give the money to Charity. Go through the thread more closely maybe you will find something useful than just 'nice'.
Old 12th April 2011, 09:13   #1656
BHPian

Daikin R22 1.5 split 5 star AC with inverter is very similarly priced to Panasonic R410 inverter AC which supposedly consumes much less power than 5 star. Which is a better buy? Does Daikin still hold an advantage?
Old 12th April 2011, 18:09   #1657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Daikin R22 1.5 split 5 star AC with inverter is very similarly priced to Panasonic R410 inverter AC which supposedly consumes much less power than 5 star. Which is a better buy? Does Daikin still hold an advantage?
If you could share the quote you got and the model number it would be of great help to the members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Hi tush, you should not deduct floor area covered by furniture. Just consider total floor area. Its important to arrive at volume of air inside a room, that's why all online calculation sheets will ask for height of room too. You can discount that 17 sqft passage by hanging a curtain the mouth of this passage.

I am confused by your room data as seen below:
From this data it seems the rest of your house (living room etc) is on the east (as per window data) and south window is overlooking neighbour over a courtyard. However, status of north wall is not clear, refer bold sections above. Moreover east wall having big sliding window is also not listed as sun exposed wall.

Anyway, if its only north wall which is exposed to direct sunlight, heat gain is very low. You may want to update and try the Daikin calculation again. Certain brands have 1.2 ton as well, you may want to have a look at it. As mentioned in my post refered to by you, compare the cfm as well when comparing brands.

As for me I set my Daikin at 28deg C and its very cold, sometimes too cold for comfort. Maybe the thermostat is not caliberated correctly.
I goofed up again when i mentioned about Exposed to Sunlight - Wall Length including glass (ft.) ->
North = 11.33

It is EAST = 11.33

Yes the house has east facing walls with windows.

The north wall separates my room with the living room. And the north Window overlooks the even floor balcony and my living rooms window.

The neighbours apartment is adjacent to my bedrooms South Wall. And you are correct about the south window. It does similar to what the north window does.

The furniture that I have considered is the Wardrobe which occupies the entire wall upto the roof hence I did not consider its carpet area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1.5 tons for 350 sqf room is a bit too little. May be when the night temperature is 30, and he keeps it at 26 it is passable. Double the temperature difference and you get 3 tons. I was talking of 20 degree difference and not 4-5. Also remember that the heat loss is generally fourth power of the temperature difference, hence larger the differential more disproportionate the cooling requirement.

Excess tonnage in a normal AC will waste power. On an Inverter it will just cool faster initially, and then stabilise at a lower power consumption level.

If you can afford Inverter Technology go for it as it will give you lowest power consumption, and you can have a slightly bigger unit (as it will not affect running costs, but improve cooling).

I personally find a marked difference in comfort between the AC compressor running and switched off. When it is off, the air may be cold but smells different, that is why I prefer an AC which is always on, at least the temparature is constant.

As of now I do not have an Inverter budget as I plan to use only 3 months max 4 months of summer else i wouldnt think over it so much

Last edited by tush : 12th April 2011 at 18:33.
Old 13th April 2011, 03:11   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
The furniture that I have considered is the Wardrobe which occupies the entire wall upto the roof hence I did not consider its carpet area.
The furniture and it's contents add to the heat load by way of their latent heat energy coming into play.
Old 13th April 2011, 10:31   #1659
BHPian

Hi Friends, I ordered two split ACs today -
1 - Panasonic CS-YC24MKY 2.0 Ton
Capacity : 2.0 ton, 6.40kW
Price : 28950
Living Room Area : 245 sq ft including furniture

2 - Panasonic CS-YC9MKY
Capacity : 0.75 ton, 2.53kW
Price : 16450
Bed Room area : 110 sq ft including wardrobe

Installation : 1000
Stand : 500
Extra Cable : 30 per ft
Extra Pipe : 180/200 per ft

Initially I was looking for Hitachi ACE follow me and Panasonic inverter series (both around 75K+ for above config) but decided to trust this stripped version of Panasonic as per my current requirement - just need a plain AC which should be able to cool my flat. Not interested in green tech or sms control or aroma / virus filters.

I already have a Samsung window AC running fine for last 4 years. Its front control touch panel died few months back and Samsung doesnt supply that part anymore. So controlling it with remote only.

This thread has been a great help for making my decision. Thanks for everyone's contribution.

Will keep you all updated about how these machines perform.

Last edited by amk_2009 : 13th April 2011 at 10:38.
Old 13th April 2011, 11:53   #1660
BHPian

Looking for a 1 ton Split AC with 3 star rating within a strict budget of Rs 20 K for our third bedroom. I had a look at Onida 1 ton split Ac with 3 star rating was quoted 19.5 k by the dealer including wall mounting and 4 meters pipe free. Extra piping at Rs 860 per meter which i think is way higher, Do not have any idea about split Ac's as our earlier both Ac's are window Ac from LG (11years) & Carrier(8 years) both of them are running smoothly with periodical maintenance till date without any hickup.
Our usage is only for summer seasons, are Onida Ac's good or any other suggestions. Have to finalize till Saturday.

Last edited by driving_smartly : 13th April 2011 at 11:56.
Old 16th April 2011, 12:27   #1661
BHPian

planning to buy a .75 ton window ac. Now a days i have noticed that even split AC's prices have come down. So better to go for a split AC or a window? please suggest some model numbers along with their prices. by budget is 15k +- 2k
Old 18th April 2011, 01:04   #1662
BHPian

The approx prices of OGeneral, Daikin and Panasonic 1.5 ton inverter R410A ACs I received were 55k, 50k and 41k excluding installation. Panasonic has another model which features in Katrina Kaif ads for 51K. Daikin R22 5 star non-inverter AC is around 37.5K. Not too keen on LG's Samsung's and rest of Indian brands. Was told the refrigerant R22 will be available for another 10 years. Totally confused on which to purchase. Looking at the above, my preference is turning towards Panasonic 41K. Would appreciate thoughts and feeders about my AC delima and will be very thankful about the same.
Old 19th April 2011, 22:53   #1663
BHPian

Finally Bought Panasonic Cube AC for 16 k + 1.2k for delivery and installation had to pay extra Rs 225 per sq.ft. for 7 feet piping. Had seen neilsguys pictures and comments way back in march 1st week. Ac is silent much better than our current Carrier & LG window Ac. Overall happy with performance on day one with super cooling
Old 21st April 2011, 16:28   #1664
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Experts, please help.
Here's the situation:
1. We stay in Mumbai and last window AC (Carrier) lasted ~6 years with very limited usage. Pollution might be the reason for the coil leaking multiple times.
2. We need our next AC to last 10 years with regular maintenance and nothing else.
3. We need a window AC of ~1 ton capacity. 0.75 is not an option. 1.5 might be an overkill.
4. Because the usage is limited to a few hours every night during summer, fancy technologies and star ratings would not be a major deciding factor.

'Reliability and long life' being the major criteria, I have shortlisted only O General till now. What other brands should I add to the shortlist?

Thanks in advance
Old 21st April 2011, 16:34   #1665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Experts, please help.
Here's the situation:
1. We stay in Mumbai and last window AC (Carrier) lasted ~6 years with very limited usage. Pollution might be the reason for the coil leaking multiple times.
2. We need our next AC to last 10 years with regular maintenance and nothing else.
3. We need a window AC of ~1 ton capacity. 0.75 is not an option. 1.5 might be an overkill.
4. Because the usage is limited to a few hours every night during summer, fancy technologies and star ratings would not be a major deciding factor.

'Reliability and long life' being the major criteria, I have shortlisted only O General till now. What other brands should I add to the shortlist?

Thanks in advance
Again a window? If on a budget look at BlueStar and Voltas Window ACs along with Panasonic Cube 1.25T, Else Hitachi.

Have no experience with any other brand, hence not mentioning.
mashmash is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed