Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2011, 11:26   #1756
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Criteria:
Tonnage: 1.0/1.5/2.0 Split only
Usage: Office, 12-16 hrs daily usage for each of the ACs.
Elec Charges : Commercial Rate

Which would be the best models to buy given the above criteria? Simple / no frill models. Given that I would be paying commercial electricity consumption rates, high energy efficiency is a must.
==============
Also, wanted to know if the outdoor units require any cleaning from the inside for optimal performance? If yes, is it safe to just spray/splash water or it requires opening the assembly?

Last edited by sanjayc : 8th May 2011 at 11:30.
Old 8th May 2011, 12:46   #1757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Criteria:

Which would be the best models to buy given the above criteria? Simple / no frill models. Given that I would be paying commercial electricity consumption rates, high energy efficiency is a must.
==============
Also, wanted to know if the outdoor units require any cleaning from the inside for optimal performance? If yes, is it safe to just spray/splash water or it requires opening the assembly?
The higher the electricity rates, the more lucrative does the Inverter Technology become. So inspite of their higher cost, get a 5* Inverter AC. On an average the most efficient AC consumes 60% or less power compared to a 1* AC. Over 16 hours you save an average of 10 units of electricity, which at 6 is 60/day or 6K over 100 days, may be even more depending on the usage and the rate. An added advantage of lower consumption is that you pay less "demand/load charges"

Out door units require as much cleaning as indoor units. Our one is opened up during service and thoroughly cleaned once or twice a year. The indoor units also need periodic cleaning of the air filter.

Last edited by Aroy : 8th May 2011 at 12:48.
Old 8th May 2011, 16:01   #1758
BANNED

Need Only Half Capacity to Heat vs. Cool a same size room ?

A sincere thanks to the all the members here with whose guidance and help i was able to decide and place order for Daikin Inverter heat & cool ac for the bedroom. So Cheers. :-)

I now have to decide a solution for my living hall which is rectangular in shape and opens on one side to the kitchen and the other side it opens to a passage which leads to the bedrooms.

I was speaking to my Daikin ac dealer in regards to my living hall which is 20 x 15 x 9. I need a heating and cooling solution.

The living hall will be used very sparingly when we entertain guests and use it to watch movies and probably need air conditioning every day for mostly 3-5 hrs.

Need Only Half Capacity to Heat vs. Cool a same size room... ??

he told me i could go for 1 x 1.5 Ton Daikin Inverter heating and cool + 1 x 1.5 ton Daikin 3 Star.

He also said that since the living hall will only see 3 hrs usage every day then i should go for the E series ( 3 star ) over there as a 5 star takes about 3 yrs @ 12 hrs usage x 180 days to equal the price difference of a 3 star.

He said a few things..

1. You need only half the capacity to heat up a room vs. cooling up a room.

So he said if i need 3 tons to cool a 300 sq ft then i need only 1.5 ton to heat a 300 sq ft room. Is that correct ?

Based on his above statement he advised me to go for 1 x 1.5 ton Inverter Heat & Cool which can according him will be able to comfortably heat up a 300 sq ft room and go for a 1 x 1.5 ton Daikin E series.

So i'll have 3 ton available to Cool and 1.5 ton to heat.

Is his statement correct that you only need half the capacity to heat vs cooling for the same size room ?

Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 21:33   #1759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
3. Standby, normally off, switches on when the mains go.

When mains is there the relay is on and the power through the contacts is off. The moment mains goes, the relay goes off and the connectors route the power to the fan from the UPS. Similarly the moment mains power comes on the relay is switched on and the contacts go off.
Aroy, it seems from your description that another feed from inverter line is required to relay. Is my sketch correct? (The two mains on RHS is to show situations, not number of physical connections).
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-diagram.jpg  

Old 9th May 2011, 01:18   #1760
Senior - BHPian

For your info only. I was at Ghaffar Market, Delhi today and the price for General 2Ton Split is Rs. 35,000. I was checking for Electronics and most of the shops I visited had these General Units only.
Old 9th May 2011, 01:36   #1761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Criteria:

==============
For such extensive every day usage and for a fail proof experience, there is nothing like General or Daikin. They are silent performers and work in extreme conditions. Yes, they are expensive, but are worth every paisa you pay for them. I do not know about the energy efficient models, you do the research on that.

P.S. Second choice would be Blue Star, another silent performer under extreme conditions.
Old 9th May 2011, 07:13   #1762
BHPian

Thanks ARoy/Esteem_Lover for the inputs.

I am currently using 1 Daikin Split@Off for 2 months, 1 Hitachi Window@Home for 2 yrs & multiple Blue Star Splits@Off for last 4+yrs.

From my experience, Daikin did a very professional installation. Service/Support yet to be seen. Hitachi was purchased at Viveks and was installed by one their in-house installers - not satisfied with the install. On escalation to Hitachi customer care, some senior engineer from Hitachi visited and did a complete inspection. Unit is performing just fine.

With Blue Star, the problem has been support and faster wear & tear.

Did a tech-specs/price comparison between Daikin & Hitachi, and decision is tilting towards Daikin. Prices are almost similar.

Thinking of opting for 5-Star rated unit instead of inverter - one reason being cost diff of upto 13K for 1.5T. In an office environment where lot of heat is generated from computers/printers/scanners and frequent opening of doors and generally less-caring attitude, I guess for a 5-star rated a/c compressor on-off cycles would be bare minimum since it will be running almost all the time at peak capacity, thus negating the inverter advantage, I think, to a large extent.

BTW, is there some inexpensive equipment avlbl which I can install to accurately measure the total power consumption for each aircon on an ongoing basis - some kind of digital meter which can be connected to the power line feeding each of the aircons.
Old 9th May 2011, 08:46   #1763
BANNED

Found one with Godrej .75 Ton. seems like apt for small room but looking for opinion .

Model : GWC 10GG 2 WJM
2 Star Rating . Capacity: 0.75T

Godrej Appliances -Refrigerators, Washing Machines, Air Conditioners
Old 9th May 2011, 09:26   #1764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Aroy, it seems from your description that another feed from inverter line is required to relay. Is my sketch correct? (The two mains on RHS is to show situations, not number of physical connections).
Here is what I meant
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-09052011065.jpg  

Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 10:06   #1765
BANNED

@shapath: You can find goos ACs with almost all major vendors. I will suggest you look at Samsumg or LG Window since you are looking at only less that two years. With 90 sq ft one tonne should be adequate. Hitachi have a 5* range but are mroe costly.
Old 9th May 2011, 11:35   #1766
BHPian

Guys,

Please help me out/

I have a Panasonic 1.5T split in my home. (I am extremely satisfied with the pdt. But thats not the issue here). Over the recent days, the voltage drop in my house is petty high. Especially between 21.00 hrs and 23.00 hrs. This is causing only the fan in my AC to run. The compressor is not getting enough power to run.
With chennai temperatures at over 111 degrees its absolutely a nightmare to be in a closed room without AC. You can comfortably bring out 500 ml of sweat in those 2 hours.
Now I have heard of something called double booster which will help the compressor to run even in voltage as low as 140 V.
Is that true?
If so, where can I get it in chennai
Thanks in advance
Barath
Old 9th May 2011, 11:59   #1767
Senior - BHPian

^^ I saw it at Rathna Fan House when I went to buy a second AC for my home. But since the voltage in my area is good, did not buy it.
Old 9th May 2011, 13:25   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Guys,

Please help me out/

I have a Panasonic 1.5T split in my home. (I am extremely satisfied with the pdt. But thats not the issue here). Over the recent days, the voltage drop in my house is petty high. Especially between 21.00 hrs and 23.00 hrs. This is causing only the fan in my AC to run. The compressor is not getting enough power to run.
With chennai temperatures at over 111 degrees its absolutely a nightmare to be in a closed room without AC. You can comfortably bring out 500 ml of sweat in those 2 hours.
Now I have heard of something called double booster which will help the compressor to run even in voltage as low as 140 V.
Is that true?
If so, where can I get it in chennai
Thanks in advance
Barath

Low voltage was the problem in my area too - Venkateswara nagar, Velachery. So my AC mechanic installed a DOUBLE BOOSTER (140v to 270v) stabilizer (some local make called "PRIME") and it did really worked very well.. but the problem with my stabilizer is - it becomes hot like a automobile engine ater 3 hours...

My suggestion - for low voltage problems use such DOUBLE BOOSTER or TRIPLE BOOSTER stabilizers, but from a reputed manufacturer like V-Guard, Syscom, Numeric etc.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 13:35   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
Low voltage was the problem in my area too - Venkateswara nagar, Velachery. So my AC mechanic installed a DOUBLE BOOSTER (140v to 270v) stabilizer (some local make called "PRIME") and it did really worked very well.. but the problem with my stabilizer is - it becomes hot like a automobile engine ater 3 hours...

My suggestion - for low voltage problems use such DOUBLE BOOSTER or TRIPLE BOOSTER stabilizers, but from a reputed manufacturer like V-Guard, Syscom, Numeric etc.
Thanks rakesh,

But are those kind of boosters available with reputed manufacturers?

AAnd based on what you say, the heat seems to be problem. I dont want such hot objects inside my room. I have to check the performance (in terms of heating) of boosters from reputed manufacturers

Barath
Old 9th May 2011, 13:52   #1770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Thanks rakesh,

But are those kind of boosters available with reputed manufacturers?

AAnd based on what you say, the heat seems to be problem. I dont want such hot objects inside my room. I have to check the performance (in terms of heating) of boosters from reputed manufacturers

Barath
Yes.. but you might need to approach them yourself. V - Guard : Voltage Stabilizers, Electrical Wires, Water Heaters has contact details and their dealers could give you the right pointers. I also found Premier, Everest to have websites (just google). On-request manufacturers like Shah electronics (this company is well known, has good reputation) in ritchie street, anna salai can give you custom manufactured units as well.

Most Viewed