Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 15:50   #1786
BANNED

Re: Need Only Half Capacity to Heat vs. Cool a same size room ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
A sincere thanks to the all the members here with whose guidance and help i was able to decide and place order for Daikin Inverter heat & cool ac for the bedroom. So Cheers. :-)

I now have to decide a solution for my living hall which is rectangular in shape and opens on one side to the kitchen and the other side it opens to a passage which leads to the bedrooms.

I was speaking to my Daikin ac dealer in regards to my living hall which is 20 x 15 x 9. I need a heating and cooling solution.

The living hall will be used very sparingly when we entertain guests and use it to watch movies and probably need air conditioning every day for mostly 3-5 hrs.

Need Only Half Capacity to Heat vs. Cool a same size room... ??

he told me i could go for 1 x 1.5 Ton Daikin Inverter heating and cool + 1 x 1.5 ton Daikin 3 Star.

He also said that since the living hall will only see 3 hrs usage every day then i should go for the E series ( 3 star ) over there as a 5 star takes about 3 yrs @ 12 hrs usage x 180 days to equal the price difference of a 3 star.

He said a few things..

1. You need only half the capacity to heat up a room vs. cooling up a room.

So he said if i need 3 tons to cool a 300 sq ft then i need only 1.5 ton to heat a 300 sq ft room. Is that correct ?

Based on his above statement he advised me to go for 1 x 1.5 ton Inverter Heat & Cool which can according him will be able to comfortably heat up a 300 sq ft room and go for a 1 x 1.5 ton Daikin E series.

So i'll have 3 ton available to Cool and 1.5 ton to heat.

Is his statement correct that you only need half the capacity to heat vs cooling for the same size room ?

Thanks
bump... guys any one aware if..

"You need only half the capacity to heat up a room vs. cooling up a room" ...?
Old 11th May 2011, 01:28   #1787
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Hi rana_kirti,

While I am not sure about how much capacity would be required to heat up but one thing is for sure that it will be far less than what is required for cooling.

The heat pump equipped units are good for heating in temperatures as low as -18 degree C, if I recall correctly from what I read and I believe also posted here. The winters here are nowhere that severe and at worst we will get to 4 degreeC and that too in the middle of the night/very early morning.

The oil filled radiators which are the next best alternative are more than sufficient in the winters and a single 1.5 ton machine would be as good as at least two of them put together or infact even better than that. I believe you should be good to go with the combination mentioned in your post.

Last edited by khoj : 11th May 2011 at 01:34.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 14:59   #1788

Hey guys! Thanks to all the 'priceless' information here on TBHP, going through the entire thread, and going by my present budget and requirements, have just finalized a Panasonic Pearl 1.5 TR (3 Star rated) for my top floor 11 x 12 bedroom in Vasant Kunj! Thanks to all, especially Khoj, whose AC = Car post really made an impression!!

Following are the prices post negotiation:
Panasonic econ Pearl CS-YC18MKY-1 : Rs 23,500
V Guard VN 400 Stabilizer (Two Step) : Rs 2,200
Installation and Stand : Rs 1,200
Cartage : Rs 50
Total : 26,950

Slightly outside my initial budget but am super excited now!

Thanks to everyone! Will let you know how it goes. AC is getting installed today evening / tomorrow morning.
Old 11th May 2011, 23:37   #1789

Update: The vendor sent me a showroom unit! The plastic body of the indoor unit had multiple swirl marks; and when I lifted the front panel, there was a thick coating of dust inside! Blasted the guy. Now he has promised to send me a fresh unit in the morning. Said he couldn't replace it today as the warehouse was shut for the day. Am quite shaken. Hope this gets sorted out tomorrow.

Help : How do I make sure the unit I am getting is mint fresh? Would the unit be sealed, and should I insist on getting it opened in front of myself at my flat?
Old 12th May 2011, 00:29   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Please check for the seal, date of manufacturing and proper safety guards such as Thermocol, Plastics and Tapes inside the AC to judge whether it's a fresh unit or not.

Whose the dealer in concern?
Old 12th May 2011, 03:06   #1791

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Please check for the seal, date of manufacturing and proper safety guards such as Thermocol, Plastics and Tapes inside the AC to judge whether it's a fresh unit or not.

Whose the dealer in concern?
Thanks tsk13! I did ask for and receive a 2011 manufactured unit. At least the box said so. I thought (naively?) that would be reasonably fastidious. Where do I locate the Date of Manufacture on the unit itself, any idea? Max I can see is sort of a serial number saying '287525'. And is there any way to connect whats written on the packaging box and what's inside? The dealer is True Link. They have branches in Bhikhaji, RK Puram and VKunj. I couldn't locate them on Panasonics website though, so am guessing they aren't authorized. Still, should I call up Panasonic customer care and let them know?
Old 12th May 2011, 12:53   #1792
Team-BHP Support

Guys quick question. Picking up a few ACs. Have decided on Daikin. Ive been offered E series which are 3 star. But in todays paper I saw an ad for some FGT or something which is 5 star. The prices looked similar to what Im offered. What is the difference in the two models?
Old 12th May 2011, 14:38   #1793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan.dr View Post
Thanks tsk13! I did ask for and receive a 2011 manufactured unit. At least the box said so. I thought (naively?) that would be reasonably fastidious. Where do I locate the Date of Manufacture on the unit itself, any idea? Max I can see is sort of a serial number saying '287525'. And is there any way to connect whats written on the packaging box and what's inside? The dealer is True Link. They have branches in Bhikhaji, RK Puram and VKunj. I couldn't locate them on Panasonics website though, so am guessing they aren't authorized. Still, should I call up Panasonic customer care and let them know?
Even if you can't locate them on Panasonic's website, I don't think it's much of a concern as long as you're getting a proper Bill and Panasonic's Warranty Card (In case there is one).
Old 13th May 2011, 03:00   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Guys quick question. Picking up a few ACs. Have decided on Daikin. Ive been offered E series which are 3 star. But in todays paper I saw an ad for some FGT or something which is 5 star. The prices looked similar to what Im offered. What is the difference in the two models?
The E series is an old model and was awarded the "best design award" In Japan in 2004. The G series is a new design and the models are FTXXG for the internal units and RXXG for the externals. XX would be two numerals indicating the cooling capacity viz. 25, 35, 50 & 60. Both series work on the R22 gas, though the G has an EER value of 3.13 compared to 2.75 for the E series. Do note though the FT60G/R60G model is rated 4* and not 5*. Similarly the corresponding model in the E series FTE60KV16/Re60KV16 is rated 1*. If prices are similar then it makes better sense to go for the G series.
Old 13th May 2011, 18:05   #1795

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Even if you can't locate them on Panasonic's website, I don't think it's much of a concern as long as you're getting a proper Bill and Panasonic's Warranty Card (In case there is one).
Relieved! Thanks! I got a fresh unit delivered and installed yesterday and apart from minor issues, all is well now. The unit is pretty basic with no fancy features, but is doing a good job of cooling the room, so am happy! And the thing is damn silent must say! Especially the outdoor unit!

BTW two things I would request seniors to help me on -
  1. Is it true that for a good installation the air in the copper ducting has to be removed with the help of a vacuum pump? Cause this guy did not do anything of the sort but my electrician said that the air would mix with the gas and reduce the cooling capacity overall!
  2. Does the 'hole in the wall' (fig) remain open after the installation or is it supposed to be filled up with wall putty or similar?
Old 13th May 2011, 19:42   #1796
BANNED

Quote:
  1. Is it true that for a good installation the air in the copper ducting has to be removed with the help of a vacuum pump? Cause this guy did not do anything of the sort but my electrician said that the air would mix with the gas and reduce the cooling capacity overall!
  2. Does the 'hole in the wall' (fig) remain open after the installation or is it supposed to be filled up with wall putty or similar?
The piping should be evacuated with a vacuum pump. Many installers just run the system with no refrigerant and vent by opening the high pressure side. Works but is not the best.

Hole in the wall should be filled up with lagging or something similar. Have not seen putty since vibration may crack/loosen it.
Old 13th May 2011, 19:57   #1797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]Is it true that for a good installation the air in the copper ducting has to be removed with the help of a vacuum pump? Cause this guy did not do anything of the sort but my electrician said that the air would mix with the gas and reduce the cooling capacity overall![*]Does the 'hole in the wall' (fig) remain open after the installation or is it supposed to be filled up with wall putty or similar?[/list]
Ideally, yes that is the way it should be but then it is not a perfect world and not all installation crews do that.

The hole in the wall or what is left of it is closed by the install team using either cement putty or white cement.

PS My bad, just saw sgiitk has already answered this query.

Last edited by khoj : 13th May 2011 at 20:03.
Old 14th May 2011, 12:53   #1798

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Ideally, yes that is the way it should be but then it is not a perfect world and not all installation crews do that.

The hole in the wall or what is left of it is closed by the install team using either cement putty or white cement.

PS My bad, just saw sgiitk has already answered this query.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The piping should be evacuated with a vacuum pump. Many installers just run the system with no refrigerant and vent by opening the high pressure side. Works but is not the best.

Hole in the wall should be filled up with lagging or something similar. Have not seen putty since vibration may crack/loosen it.
Thanks sgiitk! Thanks khoj!

This installation guy did not fill up the hole with anything. And my AC has been leaking like a bursting dam since yesterday (did not use it the first night). I am putting two and two together, and maybe it is the confluence of hot and cold currents that is making it drip so much. Of course the drain pipe may have issues, but I still dont see why it should drip this much even so! I can start selling distilled water - I collected more than half a bucket yesterday!
Old 14th May 2011, 13:48   #1799
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks sgiitk! Thanks khoj!

This installation guy did not fill up the hole with anything. And my AC has been leaking like a bursting dam since yesterday (did not use it the first night). I am putting two and two together, and maybe it is the confluence of hot and cold currents that is making it drip so much. Of course the drain pipe may have issues, but I still dont see why it should drip this much even so! I can start selling distilled water - I collected more than half a bucket yesterday!
Is the indoor unit leaking (this is abnormal) or you are talking about the water coming out of drain pipe at the outside (this is normal)?

Running 15-16 hrs in Chennai gives me 2 bucketful of distilled water sometimes;-} enough for me to take a bath. Depends on moisture content in the air.

You can use white cement to cover up any open space in the hole thru which the piping/cabling etc has been done to connect the OU/IU. I hope the copper pipes are insulated properly.
Old 14th May 2011, 15:36   #1800
BANNED

@sanjayc: Two possibilities - either the drain line is blocked, or has a big bend somewhere, allowing water to reach teh top of the tray inside. Once the tray fills up and the water does notoget drained this is exactly what happens.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed