Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2011, 02:39   #1861
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
I just checked the price of Daikin Gseries here in Tvm .Here are the quoted price
FTG35 -31200
V-guard stab - 2500
Installation - 1000
piping - 1200
Installation will be done by Daikin trained technicians of the dealer.
The dealer offered a 900 rs discount and the final price will be 35k inclusive of all.
Your thoughts on this please.
Also just checked the Inverter series Price quoted was 40,100 + 5500 EPD (instead of stabilizer) + installation + piping
the prices are on the higher side. You can easily negotiate upto 10% more if the prices are similar to those in ahmedabad.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 22nd May 2011 at 02:40.
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:34   #1862
BHPian

Hi Team,

Yesterday night due to heavy rain and storm power supply was down whole night.At 5 Am inverter also gave its last beep.Luckily the weather is good and somehow i could sleep all night under the fan only.At 9 am called the Hitachi customer care again.Still the same answer" Sir, max. time to attend a complaint is 48 hours" !Finally told her that either the complaint should be addressed today only or else I am gonna take some step which Hitachi may curse later on.

She told that today itself the complaint will be attended.I am not getting the feelings that really th HITACHI customer care is really a head ache.Still having faith that the problem will be resolved soon and I will be having the quiet cooling.

So, team please be-aware of this hard fact whether the HITACHI product is good but the Quality check & customer care service really makes a lot of difference.And I have learnt it hard way.May be I will never ever go for a HITACHI untill and unless they really come out with improved service which I will be testing during the ownership of this product.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:05   #1863
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

I am planning to get a 1.5TR window unit. The dealer I go to has almost all major brands with the exception of LG. I am inclined towards Hitachi or Panasonic at the moment.
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:17   #1864
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am planning to get a 1.5TR window unit. The dealer I go to has almost all major brands with the exception of LG. I am inclined towards Hitachi or Panasonic at the moment.
Do not go for Hitachi. I found Daikin ACs to be very good, I do not know about Kanpur but if you can get a White Westinghouse AC there then that is the best.

I have used Hitachi, Panasonic, General and white westinghouse window units in my house and every summer the gas carrying tubes/compressor develop leaks and i have to go for a gas refill plus a minor welding job due to noida's clean and pristine atmosphere.

This has never happened in White westinghouse though in the past 4 years as the piping system or whatever its called is completely different and even the local AC guys who came to install it were amazed to see such a difference in design from the inside.

If you want to see some pics then i can send you.

My AC history :

Hitachi lasted 2 years and then sold and developed a ton of problems in that time.
General lasted 3 years and sold, one more general has lasted for 4 years and is still half heartedly doing its job
2 White westinghouse, going strong since the last 4 years w/o any service done up.
Daikin going strong for the past 3 years at my friend's place.
The panasonic at my dad's office is quite new so can't say much about that.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 22nd May 2011 at 11:19.
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:22   #1865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Brought home Whirlpool 1.5T & General 1.5T, both window units.Thanks for help.
Gill, could you let me know the make of the compressor in your Whirlpool as also the series of the machine itself as in Whirlpool Royale etc. Thanks in advance for the same.
Old 22nd May 2011, 13:19   #1866
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Our hall AC (2.0-ton Samsung) which we had fixed and refilled a couple of months back, is cooling but not with any great strength.
Quote:
And there's worse news. A few hours later, it is now dead, as in electrically dead.
Quote:
... And better news! Strangely, it has come back to life this morning!
... and failed again last night. Still dead this morning

... turned it on just now, and it started as if nothing had happened

Well, we need that engineer. My wife doesn't want to go to another one, even if we have to wait, and yes, it is good to stick with known-to-be-straight tradesmen.
Old 22nd May 2011, 15:12   #1867
BHPian

Hi Team,
Finally after a hot mail to the customer care and a courtesy call followed by mail, finally engineer visited at 1:15, opened the front grill and filter. Did some minor adjustment and finally no noise. It really was a wonder ful feeling. Not only he did his work professionally but he also gave a demo to my mom so that she is ok with this model.
One Suggestion to HITACHI customers:
Please follow up on mail & call, because certain times its one thing or the other, if u will call as well as mail , it will definitely lead to desired results.Well better late than never.Will be posting the mail which sent to their customer care soon so that others can get a direction to move on and reduce the headache. Also please know that you have spent money to get desired luxury and not the headache. So never let the company take its customers on ride.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Ghaziabad
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:19   #1868
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are splits tougher to service than window AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsingh08 View Post
For e.g. is the outdoor unit of split harder to clean because it may be in a risky position outside building, and service man wont have stable support to clean.

In addition to filters, I've learnt, serviceman should also clean coils.

Some friends told me servicemen are lazy, and dont bother cleaning split outdoor coils.

Can I presume servicing windows AC is easier?
Hi amitsingh08,

Yes window units are easier to service for the very reasons that you have posted above. The complete unit can be taken up from within the room. Having said that the outdoor units of the splits are usually well guarded from dust and other flying debris by their covers. For that reason the ODUs generally need not be cleaned that often. I usually have my machines cleaned once every couple of years and that suffices. Coming to safety yes that is a major concern and now a days I have started seeing technicians using safety harnesses however our architects are yet to catch up as there are absolutely no latch points built into the structure. It is upon us to select a suitable location as also the position to ensure accessibility to the ODUs. This lends to a better install to begin with and of course ease of service as and when required.

You can tell your friends to be thankful for servicemen not cleaning the coils. As for them cleaning means washing with detergent which is the most harmful thing one can do to the coils. It is best to just blow out the dust using a blower or spray the coils with a cleaning foam which is specially formulated for cleaning out condensor and evaporator coils. I would recommend this for the window units too.

As for the inner filters and the coils in the indoor units these are the ones to be cleaned regularly. The filters I clean every month and the IDU coils are cleaned twice every season once in the middle and once towards the fag end. For this I use a dry toothbrush with hard bristles and it is worth buying a new brush as used ones are well used and yucky. Just run the brush from bottom to top with outward strokes so that the dirt does not embed deeper but sticks to the bristles and use a clean cloth to wipe the bristles clean, it is important to use a clean cloth and change the position of the cloth for every swipe otherwise one would end up putting muck back. The filters themselves can be washed under running water and then left in the shade to dry. Never ever run the unit with wet filters as then you will have a clogged filter within 10 minutes of running.

Besides this once every season one can simply check the electric plug for loose connections and tighten them up. This simple check will help avoid heated connections thereby avoiding extra consumption and more importantly avoid that dirty stench when plug/socket plastic burns due to that extra heat from what else but loose connections. Need to know something other than above, let me know.

Regards
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:20   #1869
Distinguished - BHPian

Fascinating. What is the reason that detergent is harmful to the coils?

====================

Update on my rogue AC: it seems to be the stabilizer that is at fault, not the AC. Thankfully I realised that before dragging the poor AC guy here!
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:53   #1870
Senior - BHPian

It is a substance called 'sulphonate' this is the real deal in soaps and detergents as in it is the stuff that cuts through the dirt or grease or whatever it is you want to get rid of. This substance eats/cuts through the protective coatings and causes pitting of the fins/coils. I learned this first hand many years ago when I zealously cleaned out one of our brand new window units and to my horror all of the fins were clean but had a patchy white appearance after the wash. Upon delving further into the matter the above is what I learned as also the fact that it is for this very reason it is advised not to wash cars with house hold detergents and why our favourite shirt loses its newness after a few washes. It is also the reason why 'soap free' face washes are all the rage.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 01:09   #1871
BANNED

guys i m confused about something. today i was looking at the daikin brochure and the Inverter model FTXS50 says..

Cooling - 17100 ( 5800 - 20500 ) btu/h
Power Consmp - 1550 ( 440 - 2080 )

Now to my understanding a Non-Inverter 1.5 ton ac is about 18000 btu.

1. Does this mean that a Inverter 1.5 AC is essentially a 1.8 ton AC ?

2. Also a question to members in delhi. How many months do you roughly need to use the AC in a year ?

Regards,

Rana
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:51   #1872
Senior - BHPian

There is no fixed tonnage in an inverter ac. So when you say 1.5tonne, the a.c. has an operating range from 1.25- 1.8. So when the need only asks for 1.25, your ac wont run at 1.8.
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:23   #1873
BANNED

A Inverter unit changes the compressor rotation speed and hence the range.

Old 23rd May 2011, 11:06   #1874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
2. Also a question to members in delhi. How many months do you roughly need to use the AC in a year ?
Starting in say mid April, the AC season stretches almost all the way to the end of October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A Inverter unit changes the compressor rotation speed and hence the range.

Sir, Panasonic to my knowledge used to have window units when they started off in our country not any more though. If looking at Hitachi specifically may I recommend the Quadracool TM, the one with two fan motors one each for the two fans.
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:48   #1875
BHPian

@devarshi,Did you mean FTG35 is 10% less at Ahmedabad or is it the final price of 35K should be 10% less.

Most Viewed