Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:52   #1876
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

I did not get your doubt. What I am trying to say is that FTG35 IIRC was 10% less that price in Ahmedabad in retail. I have absolutely no idea about prices in Trivandrum.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:04   #1877
BANNED

@khoj; Thanks for the information. I plan to go either tomorrow of the day after. What alternatives to Hitachi, if any. I had the Quadracool in mind. Depends on how long Honda takes to service my car which is due in tomorrow at 9:30am for a routine service.

11 years ago I bought a Videocon, no regrets about this one, which moves from the children's (if you can call 31 and 27 year olds that!)bedroom to our guest room to replace an assembled 1.5 tonner.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:31   #1878
BHPian

Hello Sir,

Hitachi Window AC 1.5 ton is available in the range of 21500 to 29500.Kindly choose as per your requirement and budget.

2 Star : Kaze : 21500
3 Star : Kaze : 24000
4 Star : Summer Qc :26800
5 Star : QuadraCool : 29500

They are super quiet and also with the world class compressor quality.

Other than Hitachi as per Khoj you can always bank upon O General.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
T Y A G I is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:13   #1879
Senior - BHPian

Other than the Quadracool TM, you could look at Whirlpool Royale as an economical option and General as a similarly priced one.
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:18   #1880
BANNED

Thanks khoj & TYAGI. He does keep O-general as well. Will keep you posted as to which I finally choose. Will prefer the post R22 generation, if available!

Next year I need a 1.6-2.2TR split.
Old 23rd May 2011, 17:04   #1881
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
There is no fixed tonnage in an inverter ac. So when you say 1.5tonne, the a.c. has an operating range from 1.25- 1.8. So when the need only asks for 1.25, your ac wont run at 1.8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A Inverter unit changes the compressor rotation speed and hence the range.
Hence would it be correct to say....

1. An Inverter 1.5 ton can cool a larger area than a regular 1.5 ton ?

2. An Inverter 1.8 ton is essentially a 2 ton AC and a Inverter 2.2 ton AC is a 2.5 ton AC and so on ?

Separate question.

1. If i intend to run 3 x 1.5 ton at the same time at a residence along with other obvious things like fridge,tv, etc, then how many KVA does my electricity connection need to be ?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by rana_kirti : 23rd May 2011 at 17:09.
Old 23rd May 2011, 17:40   #1882
BHPian

@devarshi , I was doubting whether the the base price of the unit is higher or the stab+install+piping. In tvm there is only one direct delear available and he is also dealer for Mitsubishi and General .They dont have any showroom and mainly supply for large firms and high end apartments , compared to which there individual customer sales is less.Eventhough I pressed for more discounts he wasn't much interested and told that will look into this after installation.So i feel i need to look out other options barring Daikin and general.
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:03   #1883
BHPian

Replaced the YORK 1.5T model with Daikin 1.0T Inverter FTKE35G (R22 gas) model costing appx 32K, all inclusive (without stabilizer).

As per my calculation, my room required optimally between 1.2-1.3T, but decided on checking out the 1.0T model to see if it cools properly.

Have been running it for almost 2+ weeks now, and happy to report that apart from the additional 10 mins or so reqd initially to sufficiently cool the room (compared to 1.5T), the performance is very satisfactory.

Mostly, the ac is put on between 8-9am at 25deg and post 8PM it is increased to 26deg. Post 10pm, it is set at 27deg. Virtually running for 20-22hrs a day.

Pros:
- Super Silent
- Almost half the power requirements
- Sturdy, compact IU/OU build compared to closest competition
- Powerful mode, if opted will run the compressor/fan at max speed for 20 mins before returning to previously preset mode
- Econo & Quiet mode, which practically reduces the max capacity by 20% and/or fan speed etc to consume lesser power - particularly usefull during nights or when the outside/ambient temp is low
- Mold-proof mode, which runs in fan-mode only for some time when switched off (from remote), to ensure the coils are dried
- Activity sensor (useless for me though)
- No unwanted power surges becos of compressor on/off situations with the prev model

Cons:
- Remote too big
- No backlight avlbl in remote, operating during low light situations an issue

Specs:
- 10900 BTU (min 5450 Max 13600)
- 955W (min 455W- max 1550W)
- COP 3.35
- EER 11.41

Will need to checkout the elec bill next to find out how much I am saving, but some dirty back of the hand calculation says it should be close to 1200/- per month - partly becos of lower tonnage obviously.

Last edited by sanjayc : 23rd May 2011 at 18:16. Reason: specs added
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:10   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

2. An Inverter 1.8 ton is essentially a 2 ton AC and a Inverter 2.2 ton AC is a 2.5 ton AC and so on ?
I don't think there any straight-cur answer to that.

Depends on what final temp one wishes to attain. For me, air conditioning means comfortable temp (usually 25-26), not chilling, hence a lower tonnage should suffice. Further, even BEEE guidelines says, a slightly lesser tonnage than reqd is good in terms of power savings, so that frequent compressor on/off cycles are avoided.

There are other factors too be looked into - if the room is frequently opened or too crowded, then the ac will struggle to attain the set temp. If one is starting the ac only at 12 noon, be prepared to wait it out longer for a comfortable temp.

Next, on my target is to replace the 2.5 Bluestar (6 yrs old) with a 1.8T Hitachi/Daikin/General this month
sanjayc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:51   #1885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
guys i m confused about something. today i was looking at the daikin brochure and the Inverter model FTXS50 says..

Cooling - 17100 ( 5800 - 20500 ) btu/h
Power Consmp - 1550 ( 440 - 2080 )

Now to my understanding a Non-Inverter 1.5 ton ac is about 18000 btu.

1. Does this mean that a Inverter 1.5 AC is essentially a 1.8 ton AC ?

2. Also a question to members in delhi. How many months do you roughly need to use the AC in a year ?

Regards,

Rana
No what it means is that the AC will deliver cooling from 0.5 to 1.8 tons as required, but at the higher end the AC is not expected to run for long periods. The advantage of Inverter is that it starts with a high cooling capacity and then slows down for appropriate cooling and saving power.

The season in Delhi is a long one. We start on Holi and end around Dushera (this is more reliable than dates!), so it is middle of March till October.

Quote:

Nominally yes, but I would not overload the inverter AC with extra area to cool.

Separate question.

1. If i intend to run 3 x 1.5 ton at the same time at a residence along with other obvious things like fridge,tv, etc, then how many KVA does my electricity connection need to be ?

Thanks guys.
3 x 1.5T = 3 x 8A = 5KVA on average (varies 7 - 10A per AC depending on its * rating)
Other house hold items including lights will be max 1KVA, so you need nominal 6KVA. But the starting current for AC and fridge is upto 3 times the running current, so you have to have that cushion of 12KVA short term capacity over the 6KVA nominal one. This is where the Inverter AC shine, they have practically no extra current requirement for starting!
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:08   #1886
BANNED

@ Aroy,

thanks buddy. right now connection is 3KVA.

1. So how much should i upgrade my connection to ?

2. Also is there a charge to upgrade to a higher KVA connection ?

3. Does the unit price for electricity goes higher and higher for higher KVA connections or is it same as a 1 KVA connection ?

Regards,

Rana
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:34   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Aroy,

thanks buddy. right now connection is 3KVA.

1. So how much should i upgrade my connection to ?

2. Also is there a charge to upgrade to a higher KVA connection ?

3. Does the unit price for electricity goes higher and higher for higher KVA connections or is it same as a 1 KVA connection ?

Regards,

Rana
I upgraded from 4KW single phase to 10 KW 3 phase. I have three AC each connected to a separate phase. That balances the load. Where utilities are concerned there is charge for every thing. Yes they will charge for upgrade, they will charge for a higher capacity meter. You will have to upgrade your house wiring to a higher capacity (thicker gauge).

In Delhi, we have two parts to the bill
1. The demand charge, which is nominal
2. Consumption charge, it is slabs with lowest rate at 100 units/month and highest after 400/month.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:53   #1888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
@devarshi , I was doubting whether the the base price of the unit is higher or the stab+install+piping. In tvm there is only one direct delear available and he is also dealer for Mitsubishi and General .They dont have any showroom and mainly supply for large firms and high end apartments , compared to which there individual customer sales is less.Eventhough I pressed for more discounts he wasn't much interested and told that will look into this after installation.So i feel i need to look out other options barring Daikin and general.
promise of good aftersales is an excuse. since elec. is not an issue, I got one without stab. installation is fixed at 1500. even general and mitsu elec are good if you get them for cheap. check if they carry mitsu heavy or mitsu elec though.

Quote:

Thanks guys.
it is generally wrong to put an area size for an ac as a lot of factors come into play. also you can not call an inverter with capacity upto 1.8 to be a 2 tonne machine.

an inverter ac costs more to buy compared to a regular ac. also, wrong sizing can lead to improper air conditioning or higher bills.
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:53   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Do not go for Hitachi. I found Daikin ACs to be very good, I do not know about Kanpur but if you can get a White Westinghouse AC there then that is the best.

I have used Hitachi, Panasonic, General and white westinghouse window units in my house and every summer the gas carrying tubes/compressor develop leaks and i have to go for a gas refill plus a minor welding job due to noida's clean and pristine atmosphere.

This has never happened in White westinghouse though in the past 4 years as the piping system or whatever its called is completely different and even the local AC guys who came to install it were amazed to see such a difference in design from the inside.

If you want to see some pics then i can send you.

My AC history :

Hitachi lasted 2 years and then sold and developed a ton of problems in that time.
General lasted 3 years and sold, one more general has lasted for 4 years and is still half heartedly doing its job
2 White westinghouse, going strong since the last 4 years w/o any service done up.
Daikin going strong for the past 3 years at my friend's place.
The panasonic at my dad's office is quite new so can't say much about that.

Could not help but note that you have used almost all of the top brands & have had to replace them in short spans of time. Are your aircons servived regularly ??

I put Diakins in buildings I make, never had a problem other than low power bills

O'General & White Westinghouse are supposed to last a lifetime (really)

My local assembled A/c's purchased "before" the branded ones flooded the market are doing great but consume more power. I intend to change all (when funds permit) to Daikins

You should get a check on why your "branded" good quality units are giving up ?
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:07   #1890
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
You should get a check on why your "branded" good quality units are giving up ?
This is because of a local naala that runs about 300 yards flying distance from my house. It is a known fact in our society that all window ACs whose rear are facing the naala develop leaks in the gas circulation system or in the compressor. It is said that this effect exists within a 1km radius of the naala.

However i have had no problems with White westinghouse and my friend has not had a problem with daikin.

I have had problems with general and the others as mentioned in my earlier post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks