Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2011, 22:41   #2191
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I am not as experienced as you in the ac field, but Hitachi service at my place was taken care of by the company. They provide a toll-free number on the unit itself. Please check and update.
That is good to know and thank you for providing updated inputs. As long as you are posting self validated information there is no need to check

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
What is this Condenser type stand. Is it ODU stand? But 3500 for a stand!!!
This refers to the stand for the outdoor unit which houses the condensor and the compressor. Could have been L type stand and they omitted the L in typing. These stands are used when the ODU has to be hung on a wall with the help of anchor bolts. 3500 is a bit much even if the L brackets are powder coated. Cost is 400~600 at dealer's door even less in wholesale. Even with 100% margin should be 1K or there abouts. No manufacturer specifies any particular make. These are imported mostly from the South East. You should negotiate hard and or buy one yourself and simply tell the guy that you already have one with you. Even if this were a tray type of stand which is used when the ODU is kept on a flat surface like roof top etc it will not cost more than 1.2~1.5K. These prices are for powder coated stands. The ones that are fabricated using iron/MS channels and painted over are still cheaper though they are prone to corrosion for obvious reasons.
Old 9th October 2011, 02:34   #2192
Senior - BHPian

There is a profit range in all rows on that piece of paper. Bargain hard.

Get a quote from a competing retailer.
Old 9th October 2011, 03:22   #2193
BHPian

I bought two 1.5T Daikins recently, both 3 star. I paid 26k for unit and approx 2k installation. Stand for ODU I paid 750rs but I believe this is available outside for 300. Insist on experienced installers as I had a problem with my second install where the junior guy drilled about 10 holes and then realized there is a wall behind and had to change position.
Rate did not include stabilizers as I had older ones handy.
Old 11th October 2011, 14:34   #2194
BHPian

I've read that Window AC units don't suck in outside air to cool the room.
But in my Carrier Window unit i can smell outside air, when the cooling is achieved and compressor cuts off. (i.e when just the fan is working)
What could be the reason? Experts please explain..

I realized this yesterday only as there was some smoke outside the house and i could smell it everytime the compressor got cut.
Old 11th October 2011, 14:51   #2195
Distinguished - BHPian

They often have a lever which opens a vent, allowing an amount of outside air to be sucked in. This, imho, is one advantage of window units: sophisticated, centralised commercial units have facilities for providing a percentage of "fresh" air, whereas our split units operate entirely within the closed unit of the room itself.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 15:33   #2196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They often have a lever which opens a vent, allowing an amount of outside air to be sucked in.
Haven't seen any lever in my unit. Is it something which only the AC mechanics can access by opening up the unit, or can it be operated by just removing the front cover?
Old 11th October 2011, 15:49   #2197
BANNED

There is a small lever well hidden away. I have seen in in all my window units till date. I would rather not have it since the flap has an annoying habit of getting stuck after a few years, leaking in outside air.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 15:50   #2198
BHPian

The lever is usually somewhere inside the cold air outlet.
teknophobia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 19:11   #2199
Senior - BHPian

In our Hitachi units it is on the Extreme Right Side, next to the Vertical Louvre. In all Window AC, if you look carefully, there is a small print/emborsement - Fresh Air or similar text on the outer casing and the lever is next to it. In older AC the levers were on the main panel.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 20:03   #2200
BHPian

Finalized the Daikin FT50G for 37K. Machine expected to be delivered on Sat and installed same day. Power input is to be first given to ODU and from there to IDU. Strange but there must be some reason for this.
Old 14th October 2011, 00:15   #2201
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess it's a question of where a relay goes.

The greater part of the power is used in the outdoor unit. Electrically, the indoor unit is just a fan and a control circuit.
Old 14th October 2011, 10:44   #2202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finalized the Daikin FT50G for 37K. Machine expected to be delivered on Sat and installed same day. Power input is to be first given to ODU and from there to IDU. Strange but there must be some reason for this.
Same with all Daikin units I've seen. They stated the reason to be that if any mishap happens it will be outside the house.
devarshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 15:55   #2203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Power input is to be first given to ODU and from there to IDU. Strange but there must be some reason for this.
Nothing strange here, this circuit layout is an industry standard.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 10:29   #2204
BHPian

Finally AC installed yesterday. Overall satisfactory work by the dealers men. AC chills very fast. Only thing is I will have to do something for hiding the piping - coz there is about 6-7 feet of piping inside the bedroom (had to install on a beam which is further from the wall). Any ideas on how to cover up the 3 pipes which are bound together by black tape?
Old 18th October 2011, 14:10   #2205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any ideas on how to cover up the 3 pipes which are bound together by black tape?
I trust that the 3 pipes (all together) are covered by the insulating foam tubing and then taped up to provide integrity to the whole thing. This will constitute the protective covering.

For decorative covering you could have a wooden pelmet made and have it painted in the same colour as the wall or use a neutral colour corrugated collapsible plastic tubing that is manufactured for the purpose of covering up such pipe work etc. Your dealer should be able to help you in obtaining this.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks