Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2012, 10:02   #2341
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
What is the tonnage for the Panny and Videocon machines. Amongst similarly rated machines Panasonic will be the pick of the two.
panasonic(3 star rated) and vidiocon is 1.5 ton.but the confusion is for the same price i am getting vidiocon 5 star rated and for 35k i am getting sharp inverter.but its 1.1 ton.
Old 4th March 2012, 10:09   #2342
Senior - BHPian

I might look for trading my old window AC to get a Split AC for our Bedroom which is big in size. Have two questions, How does one decide what is the capacity needed, and what start rating is needed. As i understand a 5* rating means less power consumption but is that recommended in home AC which might not be used for very long hours.

Apart from this i like Panasonic as a brand, any brand which is best in AC? Kindof a stupid question but being a newbie in AC market means i might end up looking up everything. My budget is around 30K.
Old 4th March 2012, 18:04   #2343
Senior - BHPian

1.1 will not suffice for 225 sq ft area. The inverter will run at full speed almost all of the time and thereby negate its advantage. Between the Panasonic and Videocon the former is a better machine to buy. There are things other than power consumption alone to be considered, get the Panasonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
panasonic(3 star rated) and vidiocon is 1.5 ton.but the confusion is for the same price i am getting vidiocon 5 star rated and for 35k i am getting sharp inverter.but its 1.1 ton.
It would help your cause if you were to read through the last 60 or so pages of the thread. You will find all four of your queries already answered therein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I might look for trading my old window AC to get a Split AC for our Bedroom which is big in size. Have two questions, How does one decide what is the capacity needed, and what start rating is needed. As i understand a 5* rating means less power consumption but is that recommended in home AC which might not be used for very long hours.

Apart from this i like Panasonic as a brand, any brand which is best in AC? Kindof a stupid question but being a newbie in AC market means i might end up looking up everything. My budget is around 30K.
Old 4th March 2012, 19:54   #2344
BHPian

Quote:
It would help your cause if you were to read through the last 60 or so pages of the thread.
I did exactly that, reading all the posts for the last two summer seasons!
A big thanks to @khoj, and others.

Finalized on Daikin 1.8T Inverter, model:FTKD60FVM.
Expensive, but it is a long term investment, I hope to get a ten year lifetime.
The rate was quoted as 50,200, and I paid 10K advance towards confirmed order two weeks back.
Now the dealer says there is a rate increase to 52,400 .
And it will take one more week to arrive.

I will post photos here after I get my hands on it.

Last edited by manim : 4th March 2012 at 19:57.
Old 4th March 2012, 21:42   #2345
Senior - BHPian

manim, The selected model is a great machine though filled with R22 gas and not the latest R410. Not that it makes any difference in cooling etc., just that the R22 filled machines are being sold at reduced prices. Unless you have already done so, could you ask the dealer the price for the equivalent model from Daikin but with the R410 gas. The model would be FTKS60F/FTXS60F (IDU/ODU)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Finalized on Daikin 1.8T Inverter, model:FTKD60FVM.
Expensive, but it is a long term investment, I hope to get a ten year lifetime.
The rate was quoted as 50,200, and I paid 10K advance towards confirmed order two weeks back.
Now the dealer says there is a rate increase to 52,400 .
And it will take one more week to arrive.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 23:41   #2346
BHPian

Quote:
1.1 will not suffice for 225 sq ft area. The inverter will run at full speed almost all of the time and thereby negate its advantage. Between the Panasonic and Videocon the former is a better machine to buy. There are things other than power consumption alone to be considered, get the Panasonic.

It would help your cause if you were to read through the last 60 or so pages of the thread. You will find all four of your queries already answered therein.
so i think i should stick to panasonic 3 star rated for 27k+500 for install.
my exact room area is 210 sq ft.and hight is 7 ft.i am not going to use it below 25degree.still you wont advise sharp?vijay sales is advising it for 210 sq ft area?
now the last confusion is
panasonic 1.5 ton 3 star rated for 27.5k
daiken 1.5 ton 3 star rated for around 28
sharp 1.1 ton invertor with 410 gas for 33k.
Old 5th March 2012, 00:26   #2347
Senior - BHPian

You want Sharp so bad then go ahead and get it and while you are at it you should ask VS to provide a written assurance that they will replace the machine with one of the correct/higher capacity, if the 1.1 tonner's performance is not satisfactory.

If you are merely looking at it since it is an inverter then you could get a 1.5 ton Daikin inverter for the same/similar price. It will have R22 gas but then it will have the right tonnage and is certainly better than Panasonic.

Quote:
my exact room area is 210 sq ft.and hight is 7 ft.i am not going to use it below 25degree.still you wont advise sharp?vijay sales is advising it for 210 sq ft area?
now the last confusion is
panasonic 1.5 ton 3 star rated for 27.5k
daiken 1.5 ton 3 star rated for around 28
sharp 1.1 ton invertor with 410 gas for 33k.
Old 5th March 2012, 00:46   #2348
BHPian

Quote:
You want Sharp so bad then go ahead and get it and while you are at it you should ask VS to provide a written assurance that they will replace the machine with one of the correct/higher capacity, if the 1.1 tonner's performance is not satisfactory.

If you are merely looking at it since it is an inverter then you could get a 1.5 ton Daikin inverter for the same/similar price. It will have R22 gas but then it will have the right tonnage and is certainly better than Panasonic.
i dont think i will get any daiken 1.5 ton invertor for less than 35k even with R22 gas.not wiling to spend more than 35k.otherwise this panny 1.5 ton 3 star is VFM for 27.5.dear khoj...i request you to take this decision for me before i irritate you more. .just tell me what should i buy.i will go for it!
Old 5th March 2012, 02:26   #2349
Senior - BHPian

Members did post prices in the range of 28 to 33k for Daikin inverters, could be that summer prices have kicked in now. From the choices available I would look at the Daikin @28.5K as my first choice and then the Panasonic at 27.5K.

Quote:
i dont think i will get any daiken 1.5 ton invertor for less than 35k even with R22 gas.not wiling to spend more than 35k.otherwise this panny 1.5 ton 3 star is VFM for 27.5.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 15:06   #2350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Point taken, since morning went through last 40 odd pages to get a sense of whats happening, now i understand the Daikin's are good and ones with inverter will only help consume less electricity. Looking at the room size i might need a 1.5Ton AC. Panasonics are also good and we might take a look at them as well.

The one question that is still lingering on (pardon me for not going through complete thread as there are far too many pages) is these Air purifier or Air filter equipped AC's. Are these of any use, do they really help purify the air they suck in. I am asking as we are slightly apprehensive of AC, as we feel folks at home get sicker soon when we switch on the window AC, is this going to help or is it unrelated?
Old 5th March 2012, 16:10   #2351
Senior - BHPian

What is your room size? A 1.0 tonne ac would suffice for a 150 sq feet room. Anything above you can look at bigger units.

Also Inverters are not always the best bet. If the inverter keeps running at full power or even half power, you are going to pay much higher electricity bills. An inverter will only provide benefits when the compressor is let to run at the lowest power range.

I wouldn't really care about air purifiers and other marketing hype. Just make sure you keep the air filter 'Jaali' clean.
devarshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 18:53   #2352
BHPian

Quote:
could you ask the dealer the price for the equivalent model from Daikin but with the R410 gas. The model would be FTKS60F/FTXS60F (IDU/ODU)
I am presently having a tiff with the dealer, so could not get the rates for the Daikin's.

However I got these rates for the OGeneral inverters with R410A gas from another dealer:
1.5T - Rs.51,990, model: ASGA18JC
2 T - Rs.59,990, model: ASGA24JC
Old 5th March 2012, 18:56   #2353
Senior - BHPian

The inverter bit is answered by devarshi. As for capacity I do not recommend using a 1 ton machine for rooms beyond 100sqft irrespective of the geographic location. if you have exact room dimensions yoou could use the following tool to determine the correct capacity
RESOURCE CENTRE

As far as air purification goes, there are some machines which have ionizers built in, I believe Panasonic has a few models. Apart from that air filters are to be found in all of the airconditioning units whether they are window or split units. With the window units and the 'Ceiling-Wall' splits there is a provision to let outside air mix with the air being conditioned. The 'Hi Wall' splits that we normally buy and use do not have this option. It is therefore essential that we clean the filters on these machines thoroughly and regularly and do not insert the filters back in to the machine untill they are completely dry. This will inhibit the growth of mold which is the leading cause airborne infection etc. If this is a major concern then you should take a serious look at the Ceiling wall units as along with the air vent system they also allow the user to draw out the condensed water pan and clean out the same.

It also helps to completely dry out the machine before switching it off, the trick here is to let the fan run for sometime with the compressor switched off. In fact one should do this in their vehicles also. Switch off the compressor a few hundred meters from home/office and put the air intake on 'fresh air' position. This in itself is enough both at home and in the car to retard the growth of mold and avoid related sickness etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The one question that is still lingering on (pardon me for not going through complete thread as there are far too many pages) is these Air purifier or Air filter equipped AC's. Are these of any use, do they really help purify the air they suck in. I am asking as we are slightly apprehensive of AC, as we feel folks at home get sicker soon when we switch on the window AC, is this going to help or is it unrelated?

@manim So the Daikin dealer is definitely quoting very high rates. Want me to come in and punch him? Do let me know unless you can do it yourself and get him to give you proper rates. If required go to Daikin India's website and get the local/zonal office contact details. Use the link above 'resource centre' Ring them up, the sales guys are generally willing to listen and help.

Last edited by khoj : 5th March 2012 at 19:02. Reason: responding to manim's post
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 16:57   #2354
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to buy a AC for my bedroom. We have only single phase electricity in our home. our room size is around 100 sq.ft. we checked the Rathna fan house showroom in Chennai. We have shortlisted

Samsung
Carrier
LG
Hitachi
blue star

our budget is around 20-30k and the capacity is 1.0 ton.
I would like to know do we have to buy a double booster or triple booster for the AC or should we first get a 3 phase electricity from EB.

Also I would like to know which AC is best with good cooling.

I am very impressed with Samsung with their virus doctor and bio-sleep features, but do they actually work.

Your response will be highly appreciated,

regards

uday
Old 7th March 2012, 17:47   #2355
BHPian

hello everyone!!
I have a 2 Tonne White Westinghouse split AC with heat pump.
Just when the service engineer was performing service before the start of the season, he showed to us the cooling coil of the IDU is completely melted. I realised that while the end of season last year in Sep-Oct, there wasn't enough cooling and we were like "agle saal dekhte hai, jab hi thik karayenge, now the season is over".
Now the options according to him are that we either replace the IDU with Blue Star/Azure or sell this of for 4-5k and get a new piece.
My question is:
1. Can't we replace the Cooling Coil of the IDU? (have spoken to authorized dealer in Vasant Kunj, he says, it is tailor made and will take 12-13 days for Rs.9k) - is it worth taking a chance? OR get a new IDU of same AC for 23K?
2. Incase if you suggest to go for a new unit should I invest in Inverter (Daikin FTKS60 for 55K or non inverter FTEK60 for 35K)? - I am not inclined with the one with Heat Pump. My room size is about 220sq.ft. with 12ft. high wall with no gadgets accept for a 46" LED, the AC runs for about 14 hours/day for 7 days/week at 23 deg C.

Please suggest at your earliest convenience. Thanks for reading.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks