Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 20:15   #2356
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post

I am very impressed with Samsung with their virus doctor and bio-sleep features, but do they actually work.
I will not recommend LG and Samsung. I have Samsung split A/C and it has failed 2-3 times in past 4 years of service. My other 5 and 2 year old Voltas have no issues. Same is the case with LG (noisy and coil leaking in our office every season).

For this summer I got a 1.5 ton Panasonic cube split AC for 20K.
Old 7th March 2012, 21:36   #2357
Senior - BHPian

I would not touch any of the machines that you have shortlisted. For the budget that you have you should look at the Whirlpool. It offers the best techno commercial solution at this time.

99% people have single phase supply in their homes. It seems you are confused between the amperage of the socket in to which the ac will be plugged in. You will require 15Amp socket commonly called the 'power socket'.

As for the stabilizer, it would depend on the voltage fluctuation in your area to decide whether you need a single, double or triple coil unit.

I fail to understand why we expect air cons to do anything other than conditioning the closed atmosphere of our rooms. If a manufacturer's units are good at what they are supposed to do would the manufacturer need to add on all these gimmicks. Moreover a few years down it is these non essential add ons that fail and take the unit down with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post
We have shortlisted
Samsung
Carrier
LG
Hitachi
blue star

our budget is around 20-30k and the capacity is 1.0 ton.
I would like to know do we have to buy a double booster or triple booster for the AC or should we first get a 3 phase electricity from EB.

Also I would like to know which AC is best with good cooling.

I am very impressed with Samsung with their virus doctor and bio-sleep features, but do they actually work.

Sell off the old unit and buy the Daikin. The models you have mentioned are suitable for a 200+ sq ft room. Looking at the long hours inverter is not a bad idea in your case.

You can repair the coils but then it is easier said than done and usually such units become a test bed for the service provider's trainees. BTW "tailor made" in this industry = Jugaad, so stay away unless you really like the guys from Galaxy. Had the dealer said 9 days to import the unit for this specific model and then delivered a duly packed and sealed unit, then it would be a different story. You may want to talk to Simraj in case they have a direct replacement in hand Simraj - White Westinghouse authorised service centre Delhi, white westinghouse india dealer, dealer of white westinghouse in india, dealer of white westinghouse in delhi, White Westinghouse authorised service centre south Delhi, White Westinghouse r "Buyer Beware" is the mantra when dealing with any of these guys, you have been forewarned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshunlimited View Post
hello everyone!!
I have a 2 Tonne White Westinghouse split AC with heat pump.

Now the options according to him are that we either replace the IDU with Blue Star/Azure or sell this of for 4-5k and get a new piece.

My question is:
1. Can't we replace the Cooling Coil of the IDU? (have spoken to authorized dealer in Vasant Kunj, he says, it is tailor made and will take 12-13 days for Rs.9k) - is it worth taking a chance? OR get a new IDU of same AC for 23K?
2. Incase if you suggest to go for a new unit should I invest in Inverter (Daikin FTKS60 for 55K or non inverter FTEK60 for 35K)? - I am not inclined with the one with Heat Pump. My room size is about 220sq.ft. with 12ft. high wall with no gadgets accept for a 46" LED, the AC runs for about 14 hours/day for 7 days/week at 23 deg C.

Last edited by khoj : 7th March 2012 at 21:39.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 10:36   #2358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Members did post prices in the range of 28 to 33k for Daikin inverters, could be that summer prices have kicked in now. From the choices available I would look at the Daikin @28.5K as my first choice and then the Panasonic at 27.5K.
will go for panasonic nly.daiken is expensive and doent come with copper piping.now either panasonic 1.5 ton 3 star(27.5k) or panasonic 5 star(34k) or panasonic inverter(38-39k).all 1.5 ton.my usage is only 8pm to 8 am.8-10 months a year and i always keep temp around 26-28.am not going to use it during daytime.does inverter makes sense?
Old 10th March 2012, 00:00   #2359
Senior - BHPian

@procircuit_234
Panasonic is a great choice. An inverter at only 4K more than a regular model is indeed very tempting and the usage is high enough to justify that extra spend. Get either the 3 star or the inverter. Do not go down the middle path, it always leads nowhere.

When you say Daikin does not come with Copper piping, I assume you are saying that it does not come with the installation kit included and one has to buy the piping as an extra.
Old 10th March 2012, 12:31   #2360
Distinguished - BHPian

Hitachi Self-Cleaning AC

is advertised in today's newspaper. It has some kind of brush to keep the filters clean, storing the dust in in a box. Is it a fad gadget? Just something else to go wrong? Sure, cleaning the filters is not the hardest job in the world, but am I the only lazy, forgetful person here?

At bedtime last night, we couldn't get any draught from our AC. I was horrified at the amount of dust clogging the filters, which I removed with a vacuum cleaner so we could sleep. today or tomorrow I must take a paint brush to the fan, which I'm sure will also be filthy.
Old 10th March 2012, 12:51   #2361
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the club T E G, you most definitely are not the only one not wanting to get off their hind side and carry out the simple chore.

As for Hitachi's offering, it is just another fad. What happens to the dust in the box? does it disappear by magic or maybe Hitachi will offer a housekeeping service now for someone to come and empty the box out . Thank you but no thank you, I would rather get up when the machine is not throwing enough air and clean out the filters or simply run the machine with the filter removed if I am not in the mood to clean right then. Spoken like a true lazy bum club member

You know Voltas pulled a fast one too with large adverts in this mornings broadsheets claiming their air cons are equipped with dehumidifiers. Really?? when all air conditioners dehumidify by default!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hitachi Self-Cleaning AC

is advertised in today's newspaper. It has some kind of brush to keep the filters clean, storing the dust in in a box. Is it a fad gadget? Just something else to go wrong? Sure, cleaning the filters is not the hardest job in the world, but am I the only lazy, forgetful person here?
Old 10th March 2012, 12:57   #2362
Senior - BHPian

Just a Marketing gimmick. The Hitachi rep said it so himself. :P

So are most Jargons used by other a/c makers. Stick to the basics and you wont go wrong.
Old 10th March 2012, 13:04   #2363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hitachi Self-Cleaning AC

At bedtime last night, we couldn't get any draught from our AC. I was horrified at the amount of dust clogging the filters, which I removed with a vacuum cleaner so we could sleep. today or tomorrow I must take a paint brush to the fan, which I'm sure will also be filthy.
I am surprised that you have never cleaned the filter. In Delhi I have to clean my air filter at least once a week. I simply take it out and wash it under running water. Once a month I also clean the evaporator (fins on the room side) with a tooth brush - a lot of muck accumulates within a short time. To increase efficiency, especially in a humid dusty environment you can wash the condenser ("hot side" heat exchanger) with a garden hose once in a while.

You are lucky that the AC did not "Ice" over. I have seen a thick layer of ice forming on a clogged filter in humid weather.
Old 10th March 2012, 13:13   #2364
BHPian

I am planning to get a 1.5 tonne split AC for a bedroom of size 230sqft with one window and at ground floor. Is the chosen tonnage right? The Price should be economical but no compromises on built and longevity. Hitachi-Daikin would be too costly for me and i don't trust korean brands for appliances. I have shortlisted Voltas (with 3 stars energy rating) as i believe they are tough enough and can be serviced easily. I also saw godrej, but the built of the Indoor Unit felt tinny. What you guys think? Voltas/godrej/samsung or lg?

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 10th March 2012 at 13:15.
Old 10th March 2012, 18:19   #2365
BANNED

Get a Daikin R410 unit. All others are still R22 as far as I know. Seems that the Star ratings have been revised upwards by about 0.2 across the board this year (Panasonic ads). I will also consider Panasonic and Hitachi.
Old 10th March 2012, 18:29   #2366
BHPian

@ khoj
2 yrs back i went by your advice and bought 2 ton ogen for my 300 sqft bed room and i am fully satisfied with the cooling.now my 140 sqft guest room needs an a/c replacement.planned to go for whirlpool but all the a/c mechanics are against that brand.went ahead and bought an 1ton ogen.it is yet to be installed.
am i right about the tonnage?
Old 11th March 2012, 00:23   #2367
Senior - BHPian

Under the summer Sun in Jharkhand a 1.5 ton may struggle a bit to cool down 230 sq ft. especially on days when the ambient goes to 36~38 deg C and stays there for a couple of hours. A 1.75 or a 1.8 would be more appropriate but this tonnage is usually not available with most brands and you may have to settle for a 2 ton machine.

You say that you do not like Korean brands and then you shortlist Samsung & LG ??

Go with a Whirlpool 1.75 or 2 ton machine. Next you could look at Fedders and Videocon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I am planning to get a 1.5 tonne split AC for a bedroom of size 230sqft with one window and at ground floor. Is the chosen tonnage right?

i don't trust korean brands for appliances.

What you guys think? Voltas/godrej/samsung or lg?

Hey drbabuanand, glad to note that you are chillin.

In hot but humid weather a 1 ton OG should be all right. it is actually almost a 1.1 ton machine, well almost.

One of the reasons that mechanics are against Whirlpool could be the fact that Whirlpool has a very strong service network and the entire business is routed through its own network of service franchisees. This is unlike other brands which rely on dealers network of local mechanics to take care of A.S.S. calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post
@ khoj
2 yrs back i went by your advice and bought 2 ton ogen for my 300 sqft bed room and i am fully satisfied with the cooling.now my 140 sqft guest room needs an a/c replacement.planned to go for whirlpool but all the a/c mechanics are against that brand.went ahead and bought an 1ton ogen.it is yet to be installed.
am i right about the tonnage?
Old 11th March 2012, 11:16   #2368
BHPian

I mentioned LG and samsung because of the market share and reach they have. If any other brand brand doesn't work out, i will have to settle for any one of them anyways. The same way you cant ignore maruti & hyundai in car market.

Actually the room is around 200 sqft but there is a 30 sqft attached changing/dressing room without any door. So i added up the total area. Would covering the entrance with thick curtains work?

I will consider the tonnage you mentioned. I don't see fedders in any showroom or any sort of a board of its service center here. I will check it out anyways. What's your take on Voltas? I find too many Split AC units of this brand in banks, govt. offices and hotels!

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 11th March 2012 at 11:21.
Old 11th March 2012, 13:52   #2369
Senior - BHPian

Even a lace curtain would work but the tonnage remains @ 1.8.

Go with Whirlpool rather than a Samsung or LG, just as an open minded buyer would go with a GM spark rather than the tinny Alto or the built to last till end of warranty period Santro.

The answer to your question below is within the query itself. These old timers viz Voltas, Blue-star, Carrier etc are best left to the institutional customer to buy via their L1 centric tender process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
What's your take on Voltas? I find too many Split AC units of this brand in banks, govt. offices and hotels!
Old 11th March 2012, 16:03   #2370
BHPian

Thanks for the input khoj. I was not thinking of Whirlpool because there is a WP window AC installed at our relatives place and its very noisy (Vibration kind of sound), but it may be the fault of installation or the fault may be specific with that unit. Anyways i will see to it now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks