Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 23:22   #2401
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

@khoj

I need to decide between Whirlpool and Panasonic. Which would be better? I inquired about o general and fedders, but they don't have any dealership or service center in my city.
Old 20th March 2012, 23:48   #2402
Senior - BHPian

Generally it is Panasonic followed by Whirlpool. Give more weight-age to the
A.S.S. and the warranty offered on the machine & compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
@khoj

I need to decide between Whirlpool and Panasonic. Which would be better? I inquired about o general and fedders, but they don't have any dealership or service center in my city.
Old 20th March 2012, 23:49   #2403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ETA General Private Limited (EGPL) is a Joint Venture company between ETA-Ascon, Dubai and Fujitsu General Limited, Japan. EGPL launched OGENERAL brand Air Conditioners in the Indian market in the year 2000.

Oh dear, even the company itself has fallen into the trap of misinterpreting its logo as a letter "O." All is lost

~
Old 21st March 2012, 00:38   #2404
Senior - BHPian

My house is almost ready after re-construction and now is the time to buy AC's for the entire house. I have 2 floors, Ground and Top Floor. I would be living in Top floor and ground will be put on rent.

Now the question, Since i would be living on a top floor with a direct sun from the roof, hence i guess the need for a powerful AC would be more than what would be required on ground floor,right?
I have shortlisted Panasonic 1.5 for 3 bedrooms and one 2 tonne for the drawing room since its bigger with dinning area coming as well. This would be for the top floor where i would be living. Getting a deal of 1.5 3 star for 24K and 2 tonne for 33k. For ground floor was thinking of getting Lloyd's AC with same 1.5 for 22K and 2 tonne for 30K.
  • Now is this a good deal?
  • How is Lloyd's?
  • Or should i look at any other company rather than Lloyd?

Please advice.
Old 21st March 2012, 07:37   #2405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
.... with a direct sun from the roof, hence i guess the need for a powerful AC would be more than what would be required on ground floor,right?
Nitin, I would sincerely advise you to have an awning on the terrace, be it asbestos sheets, fibreglass sheets or just canvas.
This will prevent direct sunshine on the roof slab.
It will save you a ton of money in electricity bills in the coming years.
Old 21st March 2012, 09:50   #2406
BHPian

The living-dining area of the new apartment we plan to move to has a total area (including corridor etc) of 385 sq ft. The apartment is on the 12th floor of a 17 story building in a housing complex. The area does not receive any direct sunlight but is quite airy and it opens to a balcony facing South (from where wind blows most of the time in Kolkata). Maximum usage would be only from May to Sept months.

We were thinking of the Daikin FTKD60FVM single split AC. It has a DC inverter, but runs on R22. This is a new (2012) model from Daikin. Do you folks think the cooling capacity would be enough for the area? I need a quick answer because we need to take a decision preferably today or latest by tomorrow.

Are the Panasonic inverter models significantly worse than Daikin's? Panasonic price is about 5-10% lower. Our dealer mostly deals with Daikin, but does also OGeneral, Panasonic and Whirlpool, and they say that they do not know much about the Panasonic inverter models, because almost everybody who buy inverter models from them get Daikin.
Old 21st March 2012, 10:29   #2407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Nitin, I would sincerely advise you to have an awning on the terrace, be it asbestos sheets, fibreglass sheets or just canvas.
The heat/water resistant treatments can make a big difference. It has done for our house. We need to have cracks sealed anyway, so we went for such a finish from a newspaper ad. Keeps us cooler.

Even white paint could make a difference.

side issue: Asbestos is lethally dangerous, please keep it away from your home, and do not help to perpetuate its use in India.
Old 21st March 2012, 13:10   #2408
BHPian

Daikin Inverter

The photos are self-explanatory:
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-dsc_5986.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-dsc_5954.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-dsc_5962.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-dsc_5968.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-dsc_5995.jpg  

Old 21st March 2012, 16:38   #2409
BHPian

@Khoj,

Sir, my Whirlpool split was not performing well, once I opened the front cover, there was full of dust particles accumulated on the blower fan and the evaporator cooling fins, I've cleaned the fins and the blower fan with vaccum cleaner and a long painting brush, now it has become super chiller. Coming back to the issue, although the drain pipe is not blocked nor the tray is not overflowing, its leaking from the bottom side for the past few days. Upon inspecting, the water is seeping through back side of the blower fan from the top of the cooling fins and it happens only once the compressor gets cut off. First I thought it may be the ice formation on top of the evaporator but there's no ice formation and once the compressor is off, the next moment water will run down just like through the drain pipe. Is there any channel for routing the upper coil drain that got blocked? One more thing I've noticed that one of the hanging locks is broken and there's a gap between the unit and the wall. I've already called for a technician but he's too busy with some installations says that there's nothing to worry as water leaks are common in this What do you think? Is it ok to run the unit till the technician turns up? I've kept a thick cloth carpet to take care of the water issue

Last edited by sajjt : 21st March 2012 at 16:42.
Old 21st March 2012, 18:16   #2410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The heat/water resistant treatments can make a big difference. It has done for our house. We need to have cracks sealed anyway, so we went for such a finish from a newspaper ad. Keeps us cooler.

Even white paint could make a difference.

side issue: Asbestos is lethally dangerous, please keep it away from your home, and do not help to perpetuate its use in India.
Thanks guys for this very useful information, this totally skipped my mind. I will ask my builder if he has done something like this till now, if not, will ask him to do so.

As for the AC's, what do you suggest. I know Panasonic is good as i read in this forum and Mr Khoj seems to advice the same as well, but what bout Lloyds? Are they any good? Is it worth saving some money and going in for Lloyds?
Old 21st March 2012, 18:47   #2411
BHPian

Quote:
Nitin, I would sincerely advise you to have an awning on the terrace, be it asbestos sheets, fibreglass sheets or just canvas. This will prevent direct sunshine on the roof slab. It will save you a ton of money in electricity bills in the coming years.
I am also thinking about this, 2 points are bugging me:
a) We need have the sheets lowered on the sides also (not only on the top)? Otherwise, sun will anyways fry the roof till 12 noon and then may be from 2pm onwards? Having sheets on the sides may spoil the design.
b) Wife complains about lack of space to dry laundry... need to do some design to overcome this.
Old 21st March 2012, 20:58   #2412
BHPian

Everyone is installing aluminium or fibreglass roofing sheets in Kerala these days, over their terraces. They cut down the heat inside your house and prevent leaks during rain, besides providing some space for laundry, home gyms, etc. Though good workmanship can make these look decent, they do spoil the elevation of some pretty houses. A good setup can cost over 1 lac for an average sized house. But yes, they do vastly improve the efficacy of the air-conditioning. Hindalco Everlast and Oralium are two much-advertised brands.
Old 21st March 2012, 21:07   #2413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
a) We need have the sheets lowered on the sides also (not only on the top)? ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
... Though good workmanship can make these look decent, ....
Creatively designed awnings invariably add to the look of a house.
Take inspiration from the pagoda style architecture used so widely in the Far East.
Old 22nd March 2012, 02:28   #2414
Senior - BHPian

While the extra 10k will get you a much better machine in the form of Panasonic, you can look at Whirlpool machines for the ground floor. Far better than lloyds and with a well established service network they offer the best techno commercial solution at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Getting a deal of 1.5 3 star for 24K and 2 tonne for 33k. For ground floor was thinking of getting Lloyd's AC with same 1.5 for 22K and 2 tonne for 30K.
  • Now is this a good deal?
  • How is Lloyd's?
  • Or should i look at any other company rather than Lloyd?

A 1.8 ton machine may not be enough for the area being discussed, unless summers are mild in Calcutta. Even then the next model i.e. the 2.2 ton unit will be required. Further since your usage is not much, why do you not look at the non inverter models with higher COP. I would have recommended the FTG series except for the fact that it is restricted to the FT60GV1G6, which again is a 1.8 ton model.

Panasonic is not bad at all. In fact some of the better machines available today come from Panasonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
The living-dining area of the new apartment we plan to move to has a total area (including corridor etc) of 385 sq ft. The apartment is on the 12th floor of a 17 story building in a housing complex. The area does not receive any direct sunlight but is quite airy and it opens to a balcony facing South (from where wind blows most of the time in Kolkata). Maximum usage would be only from May to Sept months.

Are the Panasonic inverter models significantly worse than Daikin's? Panasonic price is about 5-10% lower. Our dealer mostly deals with Daikin, but does also OGeneral, Panasonic and Whirlpool, and they say that they do not know much about the Panasonic inverter models, because almost everybody who buy inverter models from them get Daikin.

@manim, the ODU is simply placed on the anti vibration pads. It does not look bolted down through the provided feet. If this is indeed the case please have foundation / Anchor bolts installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
The photos are self-explanatory:

More worrisome than the water problem is the broken lock between the unit and the wall. Please get that rectified and post a couple snaps of the problem area.

Back to the water issue, In case the water is flowing back in to the room from the indoor unit it could simply be due to the broken lock which may have changed the slope of the indoor unit. The other reason could be that the mouth of the drain pipe is choked, the drain pipe itself is choked or the exit point of the drain pipe at the other end is choked. Clean it ASAP, you may want to blow from the exit end of the pipe and that will clean out the pipe. One Cation though when you do this a whole lot of dirty water and muck will flow in to the room so ne prepared for that. Blow till all of the muck is out.

Another thing, why is your blower getting choked with dirt? What about the filters in the indoor unit? These are mounted for the primary reason of saving the blowers from getting dirty. Are these not being cleaned on a regular basis? If not then please do so immediately and follow up on a weekly basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Is there any channel for routing the upper coil drain that got blocked? One more thing I've noticed that one of the hanging locks is broken and there's a gap between the unit and the wall. I've already called for a technician but he's too busy with some installations says that there's nothing to worry as water leaks are common in this What do you think? Is it ok to run the unit till the technician turns up? I've kept a thick cloth carpet to take care of the water issue
Old 22nd March 2012, 06:43   #2415
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

After searching and googling around for 1 week, finally i purchased samsung AC. visited two showrooms in chennai. viveks and rathna fan house.

I argued alot with my father to buy the AC from viveks. I always buy the electronic goods from vivek, but this time my dad told me to check rathna fan house t.nagar. One of our relatives brought the 3 AC's from rathna house. They had the offer buy 2 get 1 free.

I finalised 2 company, samsung and voltas. First i checked with vivek about the price. we finalised samsung 2 star 1.5 ton 2012 model no - AS182UGJ.

Price quoted by vivek - 33,000/-

We went and checked in rathna fan house, the same model.

price quoted by rathna fan house - 27,000/-.

I am not sure why there is a huge price variation in the same model. Finally we purchased the AC from rathna fan house.

Samsung 1.5 ton 2 star, 2012 model no: AS182UGJ - 27,000/-
V-guard DB - 3000/- extra. installation free.

Purchased - monday, delivered - tuesday, installed - wednesday.

Good service from Rathna fan house.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks