Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 16:29   #2671
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Daikin 5 star is the way to go. I can personally vouch for the product. I am from Chennai I had installed 3 of them in my new home. Peace of mind and flawless performance along with great service and power saving.
Old 18th June 2012, 17:09   #2672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
The only reason i am a bit against Split, as alot construction and destruction on the walls required. Recently got 2T General split AC installed and after that i said to myself no more of pains taking excercise. Window AC are absolute easy to fit and service.
My experience is the opposite. A split requires one small hole: a window machine requires breaking part of a window frame.

If you ever remove an AC, it is a lot easier to fill one hole than replace a hole frame.
Old 18th June 2012, 17:44   #2673
Senior - BHPian

Navin, the window units do have a smallish vent that sucks in air from the rear chamber, however it is not necessarily clean air as it's clarity depends on the cleanliness of the rear chamber itself. If you can have it cleaned regularly then yes window would be a better option.

Coming to the splits the problem is with their water pans wherein the condensed water collects before draining off. Over time muck does accumulate and this gives rise to the growth of mold, fungus etc. Now the commonly used splits are called high wall mounts and their design does not allow for these drain pans to be removed and cleaned. In lieu of this the other type of split called as the Ceiling wall split is designed in a way that lets the drain pan to be removed and cleaned out. This type of IDU can also be floor mounted to aid with the ease of cleaning. These IDUs are not usually available off the shelf or in dealer stock but are definitely available against order.

Regarding the change of air, well our rooms are not air tight and the air change will happen albeit slowly. If it is allowed then opening the windows at certain times will be the best bet. Ionizer is a good idea but as a stand alone unit and not coupled with the air con, this is my personal view.

The General window units are better in terms of performance but you will find it noisier than the Hitachi TM that you have. Here is some info regarding General splits w.r.t. filtration. Click and read under "technical superiority"

:: ETA GENERAL ::

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Our son has allergies. Because of this everyone we talke to (from his doc to our aircondition supplier) recommended window air cons as splits dont bring in fresh air.

We already have 2 2T Hitachi Window (Twin Turbo) ACs in the other bedrooms. We are looking for an aircon with good filteration so that our son's allergies are not aggravated by dust. Room size is about 230 sq.ft.

Is there a better option? How would O General compare?

The remotes on my Hitachi Atom and Mitsubishi splits have self glowing buttons. Not all but basic ones like on/off, temp up/down & mode. I think Panasonic has this too as do some models from Daikin's Ururu Sarara range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Does anyone offer this? It would be a boon!

You mean it would, for instance, take six seconds to change the temperature three degrees? That sounds very un-user-friendly.

Take a look at Whirlpool's machines. At least you will get a Japanese compressor also the condenser & evaporator are of much better quality than a lot of the 'phoren' brands.

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt reply, 2 Star is too less, which would mean huge bills. Could you suggest any other AC equivalent to General with higher star rating. Keen on Window only
Why this kolaveri kolaveri

The problems arise when manufacturers start using IDU panels made locally. The finishing at the moment is as yet miles behind compared to what is coming out of the South and Far East Asia. The other issue is with the parts made from thermocol. These tend to break very easily as the locally made thermocol does not have enough density and is quite fragile. Once broken or cracked there are no replacements available. On the mechanical side the components are pretty good, compressors are the same but the again the electrical/electronic components have varying quality levels.

Quote:
I think Old Gen Hitachi were good, since they started manufacturing in India, the quality has suffered big time

That is not entirely true as is exemplified in your very next statement

What is absolutely true is that some people still want the reciprocating compressors and I am one of them. The only other acceptable designs for me are scroll ( mostly found from 3 tons & up) and the swing design (offered by Daikin).

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
General's USP is ruggedness and the ability to work in extreme temperatures. It is perhaps the largest selling brand in Middle East. It is basically a heavy duty machine so they are not into the power saving game. Still their earliest compressors were reciprocating types and now they have shifted to rotary ones which are more energy efficient but even now there are people who still want the reciprocating types. I am not sure about the 1 ton rating as M5 has quoted, but I think their 1.5 T window unit may be 3 star.
Old 18th June 2012, 17:45   #2674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamboj View Post
Thanks for the pointer.

Is checking/cleaning thermostate DIY stuff or should I call Voltas mechanic. If DIY, then any idea where thermostat can be located on this unit.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-914926d1334159859thomeofficeacairconditionerbuydsc06649.jpg

I guess this is the thermostat/sensor attached on the indoor unit fins which detects temperature.

I think it is DIY stuff but haven't done my self till date so requesting experts to help.
Old 18th June 2012, 19:29   #2675
BHPian

@ navin

Sorry to learn about your son's allergy problem.

The external air's freshness depends on the area in which you live, but generally I don't think that we get fresh and clean air in cities. So I will feel safer by having an AC with proper air filters. It is just like having your own RO unit rather than trusting outside water, as we have ruined our natural resources like clean water and air and God knows what else. So I do not think that window units will provide you any better protection. Further it is the standard practice to install the unit in a window, which throws air blast at face level on beds and chairs. I don't think that will be healthy for your son. I myself have turned the air direction of my window unit towards roof to avoid direct blast and it also cools the room uniformly.

When I saw the General web site, the same link as provided by khoj, I thought I will be getting the proper filters with the AC. I did not check that with the dealer prior to payment. Later on I was told that 'Apple catechin antibacterial filter' which stops growth of microbes is optional extra. The standard filter supplied is supposed to have some coating which makes it Negative air ions deodorizing filter and I was advised never to brush it while cleaning as brushing will remove the coating. I don't know whether it is true or not.

Daikin is also advertising their splits with multiple filters. Do check that also. But which ever brand you may buy, check properly for the filters which you will be getting with the machine.

I think that a split AC with proper filters and a room ionizer as suggested by khoj will be a better solution. Further weekly or fortnightly cleaning of filters and quarterly service of units will help in maintaining air quality.

I am no expert on this and have written whatever came to my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj

Regarding the change of air, well our rooms are not air tight and the air change will happen albeit slowly. If it is allowed then opening the windows at certain times will be the best bet. Ionizer is a good idea but as a stand alone unit and not coupled with the air con, this is my personal view..

Take a look at Whirlpool's machines. At least you will get a Japanese compressor also the condenser & evaporator are of much better quality than a lot of the 'phoren' brands.

What is absolutely true is that some people still want the reciprocating compressors and I am one of them. The only other acceptable designs for me are scroll ( mostly found from 3 tons & up) and the swing design (offered by Daikin).
I agree that all AC rooms must be aired on a daily basis by opening the windows or doors and Whirlpool makes better machines.

I was also interested in a window unit with reciprocating compressor. Dealer told me that while General still sell those units in India but sale is restricted only to sarkari departments.

Will you please elaborate your views on invertor type ACs. Why don't you prefer those.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th June 2012 at 20:37. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 18th June 2012, 20:07   #2676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt reply, 2 Star is too less, which would mean huge bills. Could you suggest any other AC equivalent to General with higher star rating. Keen on Window only
Voltas have 3 star window's AC, only hitachi have 5 star window AC.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 18th June 2012, 23:14   #2677
Senior - BHPian

That is humbug, it is just that the dealer would not be having the same in his routine stock and may be vary of ordering only for you as he would have to order a certain minimum quantity.

Last year the Tecumseh reciprocating compressor in our General's ODU seized and none of the service franchisees or the sales dealers in the entire NCR area were willing to get one. I was being arm twisted to get an Emerson or a non General spec. compliant Tecumseh. Post an unsuccessful visit to one of the largest second hand ac dealer in the country, I got in touch with ETA Star's local office in Delhi and they had dozens of new Tecumseh (made in Hyderabad) in their stock and willingly sold me one through their service franchise.

For a new unit though you could try Saviour Aircon. This is one of the more proactive dealers and sells both General and Daikin. If this does not work out then call up ETA's office in Okhla Indl Estate phase III and they will help you out.

Quote:
I was also interested in a window unit with reciprocating compressor. Dealer told me that while General still sell those units in India but sale is restricted only to sarkari departments.

Will you please elaborate your views on invertor type ACs. Why don't you prefer those.
As for inverters I am all for them. Did I post otherwise, I would think not. BTW was this query pointed towards me?

Last edited by khoj : 18th June 2012 at 23:16.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:22   #2678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj

As for inverters I am all for them. Did I post otherwise, I would think not. BTW was this query pointed towards me?
Yes to both your questions.. I was keen on buying a inverter unit but next year we will be shifting to our new flat which will have the AC's pre fitted so did not want to spend more money.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:43   #2679
Senior - BHPian

Dear Guys,

I am planning to install a 1.5 T Window AC for my bedroom. I had shortlisted Hitachi Summer QC RAV518ESD 5 Star (Approx. Rs.35000/- including 140-230 volt stabilizer and installation) and Whirlpool Royal Mastermind 4 Star (Approx. Rs.30000 including 140-230 volt stabilizer and installation).

Which one to go for ? Usage 10 hours week days (11pm to 9am) and 20 hours weekends.

What about service and longevity?

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 19th June 2012, 12:35   #2680
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ navin
Sorry to learn about your son's allergy problem.

The external air's freshness depends on the area in which you live, but generally I don't think that we get fresh and clean air in cities. So I will feel safer by having an AC with proper air filters.

I myself have turned the air direction of my window unit towards roof to avoid direct blast and it also cools the room uniformly.

which ever brand you may buy, check properly for the filters which you will be getting with the machine.

I think that a split AC with proper filters and a room ionizer as suggested by khoj will be a better solution. Further weekly or fortnightly cleaning of filters and quarterly service of units will help in maintaining air quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Navin, the window units do have a smallish vent that sucks in air from the rear chamber, however it is not necessarily clean air as it's clarity depends on the cleanliness of the rear chamber itself. If you can have it cleaned regularly then yes window would be a better option.

Ionizer is a good idea but as a stand alone unit and not coupled with the air con, this is my personal view.

noisier than the Hitachi TM that you have.
Thank you Khoj and Akj. We travel (outside India) 3 times a year and when we do our son does not suffer when in air-conditioned hotels. Other than Mumbai airport, no other airport has given him trouble (not even the ones in East/SE Asia like Bangkok or KL). Hence I believe his allergies must be due to the cleanliness of the air-conditioning system. Given that window ACs are easier to clean it makes sense to use a window AC (if the job is easier to do ther eis greater likelihood that you will do it) over a split. If the General is not better than the Hitachi TM, I'd be happy with the Hitachi.

Akj, we do turn the blast away from the floor (towards the ceiling) so there is no direct blast and we have observed that this make a significant difference and yes weekly cleaning of the filters would help as well.

Lastly is there an ioniser anyone could recommend?
Old 19th June 2012, 12:41   #2681
Senior - BHPian

Do check what make is the builder providing. A cousin bought a high end apartment in DLF Golf club and was dismayed to find that all of the pre-fitted appliances were of poor quality including the air cons which were from LG and outdated models at that.

Quote:
Yes to both your questions.. I was keen on buying a inverter unit but next year we will be shifting to our new flat which will have the AC's pre fitted so did not want to spend more money.

If you are keen on Hitachi then get the Quadricool TM(with twin fans) otherwise get the Whirlpool. However the 4 star Royale WAR18G30RW0 has a MRP of approximately 24000/- do recheck the pricing.

If you are in Delhi city limits you can avoid the stabilizers, if in NCR then ignore the statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I am planning to install a 1.5 T Window AC for my bedroom. I had shortlisted Hitachi Summer QC RAV518ESD 5 Star (Approx. Rs.35000/- including 140-230 volt stabilizer and installation) and Whirlpool Royal Mastermind 4 Star (Approx. Rs.30000 including 140-230 volt stabilizer and installation).

Which one to go for ? Usage 10 hours week days (11pm to 9am) and 20 hours weekends.

What about service and longevity?

Cheers!

Vinu
@navin

The filtration technology, the filters themselves and maintenance there of are the key. The systems installed in most large buildings here do not provide for sufficient or should I say forced air changes and scrubbing of recirculated air and the result is what you observe in Bombay airport and many other swanky buildings where you walk in and are hit by BO wafting in to your nostrils and now I am ranting.

Last edited by khoj : 19th June 2012 at 12:48.
Old 19th June 2012, 15:22   #2682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
If you are keen on Hitachi then get the Quadricool TM(with twin fans) otherwise get the Whirlpool. However the 4 star Royale WAR18G30RW0 has a MRP of approximately 24000/- do recheck the pricing.

If you are in Delhi city limits you can avoid the stabilizers, if in NCR then ignore the statement.
Efficiency rating is more for Hitachi Summer QC.

The home / office air-conditioner thread-hitachiwindowairconditionerpowerconsumptionchart.jpg

The pricing of Royale WAR18G30RW0 is 24000/- but it is a 3 star. There is a new 2012 model from Whirlpool which is a 4 star. This model is yet to appear in their website.

So between Whirlpool and Hitachi, which of them will last long and who provides better service and AMC?

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 19th June 2012, 18:04   #2683
Senior - BHPian

Not exactly, the two units are sated differently with the TM being better. Better cooling capacity + current drawn by the second fan leads to higher consumption. However there is life beyond numbers in daily operating conditions the TM is quieter of the lot.

Whirlpool is the new kid on the block(in our market) trying to garner market share, Hitachi is milking the brand. Go figure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Efficiency rating is more for Hitachi Summer QC.
Old 19th June 2012, 18:06   #2684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Attachment 943103

I guess this is the thermostat/sensor attached on the indoor unit fins which detects temperature.

I think it is DIY stuff but haven't done my self till date so requesting experts to help.
Thanks. Tried to locate the thermostat as pointed by you, but not able to pinpoint it with 100% certainity. I guess I'll have to call Voltas guys only.

In the meantime, yesterday I observed that unit was able to achieve desired temp of 28C after ~40 mins and compressor was cutoff. There after it was in on-off cycle of 15 mins and ~4 mins respectively. May be because yesterday weather was little cooler and unit was able to perform. This is still no where close to its perfomance of last year. Hope there is no gas leakage etc :-(.
Old 19th June 2012, 19:49   #2685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamboj View Post
Thanks. Tried to locate the thermostat as pointed by you, but not able to pinpoint it with 100% certainity. I guess I'll have to call Voltas guys only.

This is still no where close to its perfomance of last year. Hope there is no gas leakage etc :-(.
Yes it will be better to call the technician.

The poor cooling can also be result of clogged condenser/Evaporator, ask the technician to clean it with high/low pressure water respectively.

Most Viewed