Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 00:09   #3016
BHPian

Daikin Inverter Blinking problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Having problems with my Daikin 17-2.2TR split, R410a Inverter, installed in the 3nd week of December. After working very well for over a month and a half it is tripping every few hours. It goes off with the light blinking. as per the booklet it is a choked filter. Cleaned it even though it looked quite clean. Again it stops about 3-4 times in the night. When it stops the unit has to be switched off with the remote, then powered down and back up. Again gives a couple of hours or so. Complained yesterday and expecting a service call today.
I have been having nearly the same problem starting from the eleventh month (now in the 13th month, so warranty has expired ). I say 'nearly' because once the machine starts, it never stops and does a good job. Only when the mains is switched off and then on (after the 3 to 4 minute time delay of the stabilizer) it sometimes starts blinking the green led and refuses to start.

Unfortunately there are insane power cuts in Tamilnadu, like the power goes on/off at-least 3/4 times every night .
So every night my sleep gets disrupted since it starts blinking and does not start again after the power-cut. Like you said I have to then switch off the circuit-breaker on/off (with its 3 min delay). Sometimes it takes multiple times like this to make it work. Somedays it never restarts, so I give up and go to sleep.

Daikin service guy came thrice but could not find a proper solution.
They then blamed the neutral wire coming from the EB side.
I then bribed the EB guys to come down and clean up all the wires (3-phase supply) from their side.
The problem still persisted.
Then they blamed the earth cable.
I then dug up my earth pipe sunk into the ground, cleaned it, had the pipe and soil around wet with water daily.
The problem still persisted.

Now after researching on the internet I found the way to find the error codes with the remote.
(It is given in some user-manual for other countries downloaded from the net, but not in the Indian printed manual).
It is the 'U4' which means 'Communication error between indoor and outdoor unit'.
Now I asked the service guys to try changing the 4-core wire between the units.
He kept blaming the 'unclean' power-supply from EB.
But miraculously for the past few weeks it is working fine (So the cable may not be the fault).

I have attached file(s) downloaded from the net for finding the error-code (But it may vary between models).
My model is FTKD60FVM, 1.8 Ton Inverter.

Please post your further feedback on this thread, It may help to solve my problem too.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-daikin_error_codes.jpg  

Old 1st May 2013, 14:43   #3017
BANNED

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

@manim; Thanks. The cooling was near zilch last night. The chaps came this afternoon and found almost no refrigerant in the system, and also a tell tale oil stain. They are expected this evening to fix and recharge. Let us see.

Also, can you give me the URL for these codes.
Old 1st May 2013, 18:03   #3018
BHPian

Quote:
The cooling was near zilch last night. The chaps came this afternoon and found almost no refrigerant in the system, and also a tell tale oil stain. They are expected this evening to fix and recharge. Let us see.

But how could a brand-new machine lost its refrigerant, that too from a reputed brand?
Maybe the installation was not done properly?
Maybe the installers were not trained to handle the high pressures of R410a gas?

Did you confirm that that is indeed the fault, the service guys may be wrong.
(Try finding the error-code yourself to confirm loss of refrigerant).

When I had my problem I was desperate and googled through a lot of web sites.
I had downloaded a large number of Daikin technical-manuals and went through them.
The error-codes appear to be the same for all the Daikin machines.

here is one: http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...in-fault-codes

And here was the way I found out my error-code:
(text below taken from the net):

"Press the Temperature UP, Temperature DOWN and the MODE buttons all at the same time. I repeat all 3 buttons at the same time.

You will see 00 on the remote controller. The first "0" will be blinking.
Stand facing the particular air conditioner you wanted to test.

Now press the Temperature UP button, "0" will become "A" and the air conditioner will respond with either a single beep or double beep.

Carry on pressing the Temperature UP button and listen to the beeping sound, stop when you hear a double beep. For example: it is now showing "C0".

Now press the MODE button, the second "0" will be blinking.
Now press the Temperature UP button, "0" will become "1" and the air conditioner will respond with either a double beep or a continuous beep.

The continuous beep is the error code. For example "C4", it means it is a faulty liquid pipe thermistor"

Mine gave 'U4'.
Old 1st May 2013, 20:37   #3019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... The chaps came this afternoon and found almost no refrigerant in the system, and also a tell tale oil stain. ....
Hmm, very embarrassing!
Could you please tell where this tell-tale stain was seen?
I hope it was at a pipe joint; else I'd insist I want the AC replaced.
A 'repaired' condenser or evaporator tube is simply not acceptable.
Old 2nd May 2013, 00:11   #3020
BHPian

Quote:
@manim; Thanks. The cooling was near zilch last night. The chaps came this afternoon and found almost no refrigerant in the system, and also a tell tale oil stain. They are expected this evening to fix and recharge. Let us see.

In inverter ACs,Daikin and General are no longer by words for quality. Even I have gone through something similar with my daikin inverter ac. Hence I classify Daikin, general and Hitachi as the worst brands and still command a premium in India. Using Panasonic and Sharp inverter ACs now and fully satisfied with them. Also as a bonus, theyare cheaper and come with the installation kit.
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:23   #3021
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
But how could a brand-new machine lost its refrigerant, that too from a reputed brand?
Maybe the installation was not done properly?
Maybe the installers were not trained to handle the high pressures of R410a gas?

Did you confirm that that is indeed the fault, the service guys may be wrong.
(Try finding the error-code yourself to confirm loss of refrigerant).

When I had my problem I was desperate and googled through a lot of web sites.
I had downloaded a large number of Daikin technical-manuals and went through them.
The error-codes appear to be the same for all the Daikin machines.

here is one: http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...in-fault-codes
I could not find much. The link from there is broken. Also, I have the same button for Temp up and down. So will have to figure it out. I will PM you with my e-mail for the file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Hmm, very embarrassing!
Could you please tell where this tell-tale stain was seen?
The oil stain is on the flare joint in the suction at the outside unit. Very obvious, the discharge flare joint is pristine. Also, if you have a leak in the discharge the refrigerant will go out fast, and no way can it work for a month and a bit. Also, it was lying idle for three months. I do not expect any problem in the flares in the inside unit, since it will be too much!

The chap should be working at home by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Using Panasonic and Sharp inverter ACs now and fully satisfied with them..
Now my dealer is stocking Sharp as well. Too late!

@manim; You have blocked e-mails in your profile. So please send me a mail with the contact id!

Last edited by sgiitk : 2nd May 2013 at 09:27.
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:49   #3022
BHPian

Quote:
I could not find much. The link from there is broken. Also, I have the same button for Temp up and down. So will have to figure it out. I will PM you with my e-mail for the file.

The oil stain is on the flare joint in the suction at the outside unit. Very obvious, the discharge flare joint is pristine. Also, if you have a leak in the discharge the refrigerant will go out fast, and no way can it work for a month and a bit. Also, it was lying idle for three months. I do not expect any problem in the flares in the inside unit, since it will be too much!

The chap should be working at home by now.

Now my dealer is stocking Sharp as well. Too late!

@manim; You have blocked e-mails in your profile. So please send me a mail with the contact id!
This should help you - please read the long post.

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...rcon-CTK25FVEN
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:45   #3023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Having the same irritating problem regularly myself. Daikin will blame the 'unclean' power supply.

I get the 'U4' error code. Will give more details later since now on mobile.
To be honest - most power supplies in India are indeed exceptionally unclean with respect to neutral and earth, and done by thoroughly incompetent fools (electricians, building contractors).
This also includes the utility company personnel.
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:47   #3024
BHPian

Daikin green light blinking

Quote:
Also, I have the same button for Temp up and down. So will have to figure it out.
Mine too!
You just have to press the whole width of the temperature-button (use the thumb) along with the mode-button for a few seconds.
Try it!

(try it when the light is blinking and not when it is working)

Quote:
I could not find much. The link from there is broken.
Well, M5_fan has given the link.
Please search in http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums for many ideas.
(have sent you my email-id through team-bhp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
To be honest - most power supplies in India are indeed exceptionally unclean with respect to neutral and earth, and done by thoroughly incompetent fools (electricians, building contractors).
This also includes the utility company personnel.
True, In one of Daikin technical manuals I read that 'irregular waveform' of the power supply can also give the 'U4' error (which I get intermittently and not reproducible at my will. Maybe an electrical-engineer with advanced instruments can detect this).

Anyway mine is now working perfectly even after 3/4 times power-cuts every night.
The problem magically disappeared!

Last edited by manim : 2nd May 2013 at 13:59.
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:26   #3025
BANNED

The chap came and charged it up this morning. Since the failure can take anything up to 2-3 hours we will know this night. I hope he tightened the flare (1/2"on suction) properly. If he has not done it then I will clean up the oil on the flare and tube over the weekend to see. I was at work so my wife was at home!
Old 2nd May 2013, 20:51   #3026
BHPian

I have just installed Panasonic ivory 1 ton split a/c at my home.
It is one of the cheapest around with 2 star bee rating.
I intend to use it in summers daily only at night.
So didn't bother to go with inverter or 5 star rated costly ones.
Old 2nd May 2013, 23:15   #3027
BHPian

Need some answers related to installation of Panny 1.5 ton AC.
Specs in AC
Running Current: 7.8 amps
Volts: 240v single phase
Input power: 1.73kw

The room where I am installing does not have an electrical connection specifically for AC. There are two options, I am not sure which one is good.

1. I have a geyser point in the attached bathroom, from which there is an option to loop for an AC. The geyser connection can take upto 2KW (tried and tested). I understand with this option, I can not use both AC and geyser together. Is this feasible? The electrician is saying that the 1.5 ton AC compressor will need more than 2KW initially and this might trip the entire connection. Is this right?

2. Draw a separate line from the main panel for the AC. Getting this line using the duct and existing channeling can be a difficult proposition. In this case what is wire size/capacity that is required? The electrician is saying that we need to go with higher capacity wire than the geyser one.

Kindly need your advice on deciding this.
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:54   #3028
BANNED

@rajakumar; Yes a 1.5TR AC may have a starting current as high as 35A for a moment. I have used 1.5TR units with normal wiring. Only one needs a good socket and even more a good plug (solid brass pins and not screwed together ones). I normally use a 16A socket and plug from Northwest with no issues.
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:12   #3029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
LG is not amongst the good ac brands in my list. But then if there is nothing nearby, you might stick to LG. It's not bad either.
I second it. LG is not that good, and it is not built to last. My 1.5 tonner's performance was good for the first 3 years. After that the performance was very average. Gas leakage, Refills and what not. Finally all thing broke last week when the compressor was reported dead.

IMO, the durability depends on the quality of service persons, and the regular maintenance. The machine may be built to standards at the factory, but after that it is all in the hands of the owner and service personnel.

From my experience, Most service personnels are not keen on servicing / troubleshooting any problems. They just prefer to replace parts or do whatever stuff that generates a bill of Rs.2k atleast Rats!!!

Last week the LG authorised service guy who attended my AC, released all the gas because he took that outdoor unit to the service center. Now he says the compressor is dead, and It will cost me:

1. Compressor : Rs 8000 + taxes (appx)
2. Gas Refill : Rs.2000 + taxes (appx)
3. Installation charges : upto Rs.1000 (appx)

Also they were the lousiest people I have ever dealt with. Here is a summary of the whole episode in my blog
http://my.opera.com/rajeshsundaram/b...e-lg-india-way

PS : I have dismantled the same AC a number of times when I shifted home in chennai. But none of the service guys release the gas. But this service centre guy's actions are totally hideous.
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:30   #3030
BANNED

Quote:
The chap came and charged it up this morning. Since the failure can take anything up to 2-3 hours we will know this night. I hope he tightened the flare (1/2"on suction) properly. If he has not done it then I will clean up the oil on the flare and tube over the weekend to see. I was at work so my wife was at home!
Worked through out last night. So should have been the refrigerant only. I set the thermostat at 21C and my increase it to 22 and then 23. Also, the fan was on Auto (which she detests). Fingers crossed!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks