Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2013, 20:44   #3136
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Is it installed like a split AC?
It is actually a normal split AC with separate indoor and outdoor unit. Though the design and shape of indoor unit is like a window ac.
Old 6th June 2013, 08:56   #3137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Thank you for your feedback. Is it installed like a split AC? I have a rented accommodation so I was thinking of buying a Windows AC since it is easy to install and more importantly easy to uninstall when you move.
Yes - This is a Split Type AC. A window AC is definitely more convenient if moving around is a given. The advantages of the cube are that (i) it is a Split in the price of a Window, (ii) has a high BTU/Hr, (iii) quieter than a window unit (especially w.r.t the compressor On & Off noise), and (iv) has a very good air throw.
Old 6th June 2013, 19:30   #3138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Yes - This is a Split Type AC. A window AC is definitely more convenient if moving around is a given. The advantages of the cube are that (i) it is a Split in the price of a Window, (ii) has a high BTU/Hr, (iii) quieter than a window unit (especially w.r.t the compressor On & Off noise), and (iv) has a very good air throw.
Thank you so much bro
Old 6th June 2013, 19:35   #3139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
It is actually a normal split AC with separate indoor and outdoor unit. Though the design and shape of indoor unit is like a window ac.
Got it thanks mate
Old 9th June 2013, 02:43   #3140
BHPian

Guys,

I need to buy a 1 or 1.2 ton split AC for my parents' room.
I would prefer the build to be >=Panasonic, VFM and at least a good A.S.S.

I am not sure about the current priced or if I should go for an inverter or not.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
Old 9th June 2013, 02:54   #3141
BHPian

Re: Daikin FTKV50, Inverter airconditioners with R32 gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

The important bit of information thing that came out of my interaction with the dealer's representative was that the minimum run of gas lines between the ODU & the IDU needs to be 4 meters. At first I thought he was trying to sell me extra length of Copper piping but he insisted that this is an advisory from Daikin ever since the high pressure 410 gas was introduced. The reason given for this is that at lower lengths the high velocity of the gas does not allow dissipation of the force to a level that can be safely contained by the system (this despite a heavier gauge being used for R410 & R32) and over a period of time this results in premature failures especially leakages. In my install the total piping length is 1.5 meters, so they would simply leave 2.5 mts of piping coiled behind the ODU clamped to the wall. On further prodding he said that this is rarely advised by most dealers as the customers get the impression of being taken for a ride what with Copper piping costing Rs650 a meter. I cannot blame the dealers as that was my first impression too. Maybe members here who have machines with the R410 gas could check their installs and share whether they have that much length of piping between the two units.
You are right about the 4 m length pipe for daikin because 10 back i got 1.5 ton 3 star AC and 4 m pipe was fitted . I also questioned the daikin installer about same as i needed only 2.5 meter pipe but he quoted as per daikin minimum 4 m has to be installed .
Old 9th June 2013, 09:14   #3142
Senior - BHPian

Re: Daikin FTKV50, Inverter airconditioners with R32 gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
.... he quoted as per daikin minimum 4 m has to be installed .
I've been wondering about this.
I think what they are doing is using these pipes as heat exchangers, thereby saving themselves money in providing adequate sub-cooling for the liquid and also eliminating the need for a reservoir/accumulator in the system! To an extent they have also precluded the need for a liquid trap before the compressor suction manifold, since the liquid and gas pipes running parallel for such a length will ensure that no liquid reaches the compressor suction.
Somehow, this reeks of barely justifiable cost cutting measures.

Anyone has more insight into this?
Old 9th June 2013, 10:46   #3143
Senior - BHPian

I think that the 4m pipe length has to do with the gas charge that comes with the ODU.

When the gas used to be filled by the installer, pipe length was immaterial. They would fill it till the pressure was as per specifications. With gas pre charged, if you have too short a pipe there is excess gas. If you have too long a pipe there is too little gas.
Old 9th June 2013, 14:04   #3144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I think that the 4m pipe length has to do with the gas charge that comes with the ODU.
Aroy, you could be right, but gas charge is never so very critical in any system that has a reasonable accumulator/reservoir.
Now, if you do not provide an accumulator at all (cost cutting) then you have to rely on the connecting pipes to do the job!
Is that an ethical practice? Or would you honestly call this as 'good practice'?
Old 9th June 2013, 16:36   #3145
Distinguished - BHPian

I had checked the installation instructions for the Daikin Inverter R32 1.8T machine & monitored the installation of my AC every step of the way - right from the time the technician brought the machine into my room and drilled a conduit/hole in the wall for the pipes and inter unit power cable.

No where do the install instructions mention that the minimum piping length is 4 meters. It is either a con game by the dealers or this requirement is machine and model specific. I also asked the technician (who has experience working fitting Daikin ACs in the UAE & India for well over a decade) about this requirement and he denied there was such a instruction from the manufacturer.

Those who have fitted a Daikin AC recently and/or retained the installation instructions sheet could please double check.

Last edited by R2D2 : 9th June 2013 at 16:40.
Old 9th June 2013, 18:47   #3146
BHPian

Got a 1.0 Ton Voltas 5 Star Split AC for a 11x11 room. The performance is not satisfactory in peak summer of punjab. When set on 16 degrees with Turbo ON, the AC manages to bring the room temperature down to 28-29 degrees (from around 35 degrees) and does not go any lower even after 4-5 hours of operation during night. Could it be a problem with the installation/gas or I should have bought a 1.5 Ton?

Complained to Voltas Customer Care and was told that a technical person will contact within 24 hours. It has been 10-11 days and nobody has called back despite two complaints.

Last edited by infotech58 : 9th June 2013 at 18:52.
Old 9th June 2013, 19:04   #3147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Got a 1.0 Ton Voltas 5 Star Split AC for a 11x11 room. The performance is not satisfactory in peak summer of punjab. When set on 16 degrees with Turbo ON, the AC manages to bring the room temperature down to 28-29 degrees (from around 35 degrees) and does not go any lower even after 4-5 hours of operation during night. Could it be a problem with the installation/gas or I should have bought a 1.5 Ton?.
If this is a room that receives direct sun light, then 1 ton will fall short for circa 120 sq. Ft.
Old 9th June 2013, 20:25   #3148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got a 1.0 Ton Voltas 5 Star Split AC for a 11x11 room. The performance is not satisfactory in peak summer of punjab. When set on 16 degrees with Turbo ON, the AC manages to bring the room temperature down to 28-29 degrees (from around 35 degrees) and does not go any lower even after 4-5 hours of operation during night. Could it be a problem with the installation/gas or I should have bought a 1.5 Ton?
More an issue with the AC's sizing - you should have purchased a 1.5T for that room. Now that you have a 1T don't expect it to cool down to 16C in temps of 40+ degrees. That would be difficult for a 1.5T too.
Old 9th June 2013, 20:49   #3149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a 1.0 Ton Voltas 5 Star Split AC for a 11x11 room. The performance is not satisfactory in peak summer of punjab. When set on 16 degrees with Turbo ON, the AC manages to bring the room temperature down to 28-29 degrees (from around 35 degrees) and does not go any lower even after 4-5 hours of operation during night. ...
If the room has no direct sunshine on the roof/slab a one ton ought to do the job most of the time. On days when the mercury crosses 42 or 44°C the unit will struggle.
Old 9th June 2013, 21:11   #3150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a 1.0 Ton Voltas 5 Star Split AC for a 11x11 room. The performance is not satisfactory in peak summer of punjab.s.
Make sure that outdoor unit is having proper ventilation and install a shade over it if it is getting direct sunlight in afternoon.

Most Viewed