Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2014, 16:37   #3436
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

I need 3 Split ACs in the next few days. What is the best method to calculate tonnage? Is length x breath x height the best way? My rooms are 12x12 or 12x11. Living rooms is 12x15.

Also is invertor ACs any different or is it just marketing hype?
Old 21st April 2014, 16:48   #3437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I need 3 Split ACs in the next few days. What is the best method to calculate tonnage? Is length x breath x height the best way? My rooms are 12x12 or 12x11. Living rooms is 12x15.

Normally the area of the room is enough to get a approximate idea. However, south, west or south-west facing windows/walls will get more heat and hence higher tonnage recommendations. Also if you are on the top floor then your cooling load will go up.

Invertor AC are much better in terms of consumption and compressor life.
Old 21st April 2014, 20:42   #3438
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
jacksons, I guess you made a good decision in buying inverter a/c. I was using a 12 year old 1 ton Hitachi Window a/c before. Last year in the peak of summer it conked off. The problem with window a/cs are

1. Noisy
2. Compressor cuts off once cooling is reached which results in lot of fluctuations in temperature in the room and can result in disturbed sleep
3. The power bill increase just because of the a/c was Rs.2500 to Rs.3000 per month in the three summer months in Bangalore for 12 hour use per day. The consumption was probably much higher because this is a old a/c when there was no star rating concept.

This year I installed a Daikin 1.5 ton split inverter a/c and the difference is immediate. Following are the observations
1. The machine is super -silent inside the room. Even outside, the noise level is much lower compared to the LG a/c installation which my neighbor has done.
2. No compressor cut off and on intermittently. Hence a uniform cooling depending on set temperature is maintained inside the room for the entire duration of night. Good sleep with minimal disturbance.
3. The power consumption last month was about Rs.900 above my usual consumption for 12 hours use everyday. This beat my expectations and am glad the old a/c conked off.

The above must be true with any inverter a/c and not specifically Daikin brand. But I guess the little extra money that you have to spend in investing in an inverter a/c is worth it.
Thanks for the insight, today I was checking at the reliance digital and they quoted Rs. 45000 for Samsung with free installation and 10 interest free EMI's.
What is the cost for Daikin 1.5 ton AC ?
Old 21st April 2014, 21:56   #3439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
jacksons, refer to post # 3348, page 224 in this thread. I had attached the quote I got from the dealer there
Old 22nd April 2014, 19:43   #3440
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the insight, today I was checking at the reliance digital and they quoted Rs. 45000 for Samsung with free installation and 10 interest free EMI's.
First things first... the cost at which you are getting the Samsung is way too high. Lesson-1: Never buy your AC from these glitzy showrooms. I learnt this accidentally. You will have to figure out the distributor guys. They will be located at most unremarkable of spaces. May be in a dingy gully etc. You may have to climb stairs also. And then you will walk into an office where the guy sits with 2 or 3 phones and will probably will have a godown kind of a look around him. Thats the most usual setup but some of them do have things a little better. However, the costs that they can give you, particularly if you negotiate well, are going to be far lower.

By the way, at the cost at which you are looking to buy this Samsung you will be easily able to afford a Daikin 1.5 T

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Invertor AC are much better in terms of consumption and compressor life.
Absolutely correct.

Let me also give you another perspective. When I wanted to buy my current Inverter AC the distributor was like, how often do you run it? If it is 8-10 hours a day then you are better off with buying a 3-star AC as the price difference will be big enough for you to cover the difference in 5 years in electricity bill savings.

However, to me it is more about spending once and then having the peace of mind than outright money considerations. Something like the price difference between a petrol and diesel car and the justification that if you drive less than 1500 kms a month it's not worth buying a diesel. However most people still end up doing the reverse. Mainly because,
1. they fill happy everytime they need to shell out on the running costs
2. it also gives them the added satisfaction of knowing that tomorrow if I need to run double this amount I can still do that without worrying

If you can then buy the Inverter AC.
Old 22nd April 2014, 22:39   #3441
BHPian

Is there any other thread on technical / maintainaince of ac?

My 12 yr old LG 1.5 hot-cold window unit, This has analog control panel with rotary switch, so those of you who have seen these old types, you have to switch on the fan first and then after a short delay you fire the compressor

The compressor is working fine, but the fan has conked off, I hear a faint humming sound when I switch the fan on

Any idea what could be wrong.. Capacitor??
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:22   #3442
BANNED

@Anupam; You are right. Thais is my first guess as well. Just try and rotate the blower by hand with the power off. Just in case the shaft has got jammed.
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:06   #3443
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Please check this video of a brand new split AC outdoor unit. Do you find anything unusual? Just want to check if you as well find some issue in it or is it just me.

Request you to view the Video at the best possible quality settings within YouTube.

Thanks in Advance!
tush

Old 23rd April 2014, 12:43   #3444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A rule of thumb calculation which will give you the capacity for getting 18 degree centigrade with 40 ambient.

1. 1 Tone for every 1000 cubic feet (10 x 10 x 10)
2. 1 ton for every 4 persons
3. 1 ton for every 3kw of electrical appliances. It does not matter what they are - computers, bulbs, refrigerators or heaters.

This formula has worked perfectly for me in Delhi Summers. I tweaked it a bit so that for my bed room
- 12x16x9 = 1728 cu.f = 1.7T
- 2 persons = 0.5T
- 1KW appliance = 1/3T
Total ~ 2.5T.

Now I need 25 degrees not 18, so I got a 1.7T and barring when the ambient is 45 degrees I get 25 degrees with two persons. The moment my two sons come and chat, the temperature rises.

So you can calculate the tonnage based on the peak ambient, or on average. The peak is 45, while the ambient is 35 in Delhi. Hence the cooling required is 45-18=27 degrees max, and 17 degrees nominal. See how the requirement drops drastically if you accept slightly warmer rooms!
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:07   #3445
Senior - BHPian

Anybody here has any experience with Electrolux AC's ? Girias in Chennai is running an offer today - 23990 for a 1T 3 star Split AC with free stabaliser & installation. All other 3 star AC's are around the > 28k.

Is this a good deal ?

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 23rd April 2014 at 13:08.
Old 23rd April 2014, 20:04   #3446
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Anybody here has any experience with Electrolux AC's ? Girias in Chennai is running an offer today - 23990 for a 1T 3 star Split AC with free stabaliser & installation. All other 3 star AC's are around the > 28k.

Is this a good deal ?
Guys, don't fall for the "free installation" trap. I learnt this the hard way. The guys who come to install may not be from the authorized service centre at all and you may have problems in claiming warranty support later.

The correct way is to call the respective toll free helpline number and book an appointment for the AC installation. You may have to shell out additional money (generally around 1.5K) for the installation but you get peace of mind.
Old 23rd April 2014, 23:02   #3447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Anupam; You are right. Thais is my first guess as well. Just try and rotate the blower by hand with the power off. Just in case the shaft has got jammed.

Technically I can do the works, but am shying away from the thought of all the pulling and pushing of the unit

will decide over the weekend if I call a technician and deal with all his sales pitch of xyz theories before he does what he needs to or get my own hands dirty

As I think the job shd cost lest than 500/- inclusive of labour
Old 23rd April 2014, 23:12   #3448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Hello Friends,

Please check this video of a brand new split AC outdoor unit. Do you find anything unusual? Just want to check if you as well find some issue in it or is it just me.

Request you to view the Video at the best possible quality settings within YouTube.

Thanks in Advance!
tush
Looks like nobody found an issue.

Here is it guys. The outdoor unit when you see the fan rotating it appears as if its not accurate in its rotation(cant explain it technically), but it appears wobbling. The entire unit has a bit vibration as well. Is this an issue? Is this how other AC brands outdoor unit fans behave?
Old 25th April 2014, 10:29   #3449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Looks like nobody found an issue.

Here is it guys. The outdoor unit when you see the fan rotating it appears as if its not accurate in its rotation(cant explain it technically), but it appears wobbling. The entire unit has a bit vibration as well. Is this an issue? Is this how other AC brands outdoor unit fans behave?
Now that you say it, even I noticed the fan off centre and wobbling. No that is not usual. As you have noticed, with the fan off centre the entire unit will vibrate, modestly initially and violently later on.

Please get it checked ASAP.
Old 25th April 2014, 20:45   #3450
BHPian

Hi All,

I am need another AC ( for my mother's room) . We live on 4 floor so its get a lot of heat.

I am thinking
1) Panasonic CU-YS18PKYP Price 44,000
2) Daikin 1.5 Ton FTKD50FVM Price 45,000

Both are around same price . I am also tempted with new SAMSUNG inverter Triangle AC which has 10 years of warranty.

Kindly help and would be grateful for any price references

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 25th April 2014 at 20:46.

Most Viewed