Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2015, 15:06   #3841
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Got the Kenstar 1Ton 5* rated model from Amazon. Delivered the next day in BLR after placing order. Amazon has a 2500 gift card on this model, along with a 500 off on 5000 from GiftBig.

The final price worked out to 21990- 2500 (Amazon gift card offer)-2200(GiftBig Offer)= 17290/-

Plus Installation charges 2000 (including the brackets), so 19290/-.

We have a Samsung and 5 year old TCL split, both working without any issues, no idea about the Kenstar neither do i know anyone in my friends circle using one

Edit- Kenstar is a rebranded Videocon AC, manufactured by Videocon at their Chittegaon plant, Maharashtra.
So what has been the initial impression about this Kenstar AC, even though it's has only been with you for couple of days?

Also, can you tell me more about this GiftBig offer? I was looking for an ac under 20K and this seems to be the best bet right now.
Old 13th March 2015, 16:20   #3842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
So what has been the initial impression about this Kenstar AC, even though it's has only been with you for couple of days?

Also, can you tell me more about this GiftBig offer? I was looking for an ac under 20K and this seems to be the best bet right now.
For one, it is value for money, a branded 5 Star Split AC for 17.3k was a good deal. As far as the cooling goes, it's really not summer in BLR to pass a judgement. As noisy or silent as Samsung/LG, with standard features like Anti Bacteria filter, Auto Clean, Blue Fin Evaporator, Silver Ion Filter etc etc, Really nothing to nitpick otherwise. Got a backlit remote as well.

The GiftBig site has Gift coupons for major online stores. They had a 10% off promotion going on 2 weeks back, which coupled with the ongoing offer of 2.5k Amazon gift card made this sweeter.

Last edited by xotiq : 13th March 2015 at 16:30.
Old 13th March 2015, 23:39   #3843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
For one, it is value for money, a branded 5 Star Split AC for 17.3k was a good deal. As far as the cooling goes, it's really not summer in BLR to pass a judgement. As noisy or silent as Samsung/LG, with standard features like Anti Bacteria filter, Auto Clean, Blue Fin Evaporator, Silver Ion Filter etc etc, Really nothing to nitpick otherwise. Got a backlit remote as well.

The GiftBig site has Gift coupons for major online stores. They had a 10% off promotion going on 2 weeks back, which coupled with the ongoing offer of 2.5k Amazon gift card made this sweeter.
My Friend too has a Kenstar bought long back and bought it at 16000/-. It is an import piece and it's serving him since 7-8 years now afaik.

Its 1.5 ton split and used in the bedroom size of around 280-90 sqft with a terrace above and has a west facing wall with a window.
Old 14th March 2015, 02:46   #3844
Senior - BHPian

Try out the location linked calculator on the link below. It will give you the capacity required. Use the detailed selection button(bottom right) to get more accurate results

Daikin, Sharp, General, Panasonic all are sturdy machines and will do the trick. I would however not write off an OE just 'cause one dealer turned out to be a rotten egg.

http://www.daikinindia.com/products-services/find-my-ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Guys,

Could you help with your advise.

Thanks!
Old 14th March 2015, 11:23   #3845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Try out the location linked calculator on the link below. It will give you the capacity required. Use the detailed selection button(bottom right) to get more accurate results

Daikin, Sharp, General, Panasonic all are sturdy machines and will do the trick. I would however not write off an OE just 'cause one dealer turned out to be a rotten egg.

http://www.daikinindia.com/products-services/find-my-ac
No offence to specific brand lovers but in my case not just the dealer but the company officer too is not cooperating hence have not had a good experience.

A reputed installer was identified who is technically sound and also is an authorized dealer and sells just the air conditioner and he has confirmed me that the unit has a problem. He did attempt from his end to talk with the concerned company officers but nothing so far. They assured to change the unit if still not satisfied but they back footed on their verbal commitment.

The senior officer is adamant and is not in a mood to accept issue with the product. Let's see how things go further. But for now the brand is out of my list although budget isn't an issue.

Thanks for the help Khoj.
Old 14th March 2015, 11:48   #3846
Senior - BHPian

At the outset let me clarify that I love my money and not any brand

That being said, it is a shame to learn what's happening. Do share the particular model here for everyone's information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
No offence to specific brand lovers but in my case not just the dealer but the company officer too is not cooperating hence have not had a good experience.
Old 15th March 2015, 11:32   #3847
BHPian

Got my daikin water washed by company authorized service center. Cost me 1500+150.
The official price is only 1348 but the service center supervisor was crying and wanted 1500. The guy on the ground changed my pipes from the IDU to ODU stating length too small and used my spare Samsung copper tubes lying around for which he charged me 150. They removed the IDU, dismantled it completely and washed all components and grill with water alone and fitted it back.
Took about 3.5 hours and cooling is now back to normal. Am irritated about the increase in price but can't do much..
Old 16th March 2015, 00:21   #3848
Senior - BHPian

Trust me wash with water alone is the best way to go. You should have tipped the guys another 150/- just for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
They removed the IDU, dismantled it completely and washed all components and grill with water alone and fitted it back.
Took about 3.5 hours and cooling is now back to normal. Am irritated about the increase in price but can't do much..
Old 16th March 2015, 01:23   #3849
Senior - BHPian

My room's 1 ton AC vertical louvers have stopped working since yesterday. It cools just fine but the louvers don't open or close like they used to before
Called up General helpline and a technician is scheduled to visit tomorrow.
Anyone experienced this before ? What could have gone wrong ?
Old 19th March 2015, 23:55   #3850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
My room's 1 ton AC vertical louvers have stopped working since yesterday. It cools just fine but the louvers don't open or close like they used to before

This had happened to my window hitachi, both sides were not rotating. Was told it is a board problem and it was changed by a local technician. Don't recall how much I paid, think it was around 1k.
Old 20th March 2015, 09:19   #3851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My seven year old Samsung window unit (1 Ton) cools for a while after start up, but then gradually it tapers off. Actually there is hardly any air output when this happens. I wash the air filter mesh and clean the grill area behind it with a wet brush every month. There is no clogging.

A friend told me it could be due to ice build up. I opened and removed the sir filter during operation to check, and there seems to be a white coating inside sometimes. What can be done to fix this?
It seems the fan motor is the problem. Could not source a new motor. The new 1 Ton units are smaller, so the motors are also slightly smaller in dimension. So they have taken the old motor for coil rewinding. They say it will work, so I gave the go ahead. The alternative is to buy a new A/C.
Old 20th March 2015, 17:55   #3852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Called up General helpline and a technician is scheduled to visit tomorrow.
Anyone experienced this before ? What could have gone wrong ?
After a couple of years, the Louvre motors went kaput in our Hitachi Window AC's. In our case there were two motors one for each side. The motors are quite inexpensive.
Old 20th March 2015, 19:17   #3853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
This had happened to my window hitachi, both sides were not rotating. Was told it is a board problem and it was changed by a local technician. Don't recall how much I paid, think it was around 1k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
After a couple of years, the Louvre motors went kaput in our Hitachi Window AC's. In our case there were two motors one for each side. The motors are quite inexpensive.
Thank you both for the response. A technician visited and confirmed a motor had gone kaput. It costs 800 or so but have to wait for a week or more for the part to arrive.
Old 24th March 2015, 17:18   #3854
BHPian

Our LG unit is not cooling properly inspite of repeated usage even during off season ,mechanic is insisting on gas recharge while we had filled last year only. According to him this loss of gas is due to Septic pipe near by and the fumes causes such leaks , i am not able to understand this logic
Old 24th March 2015, 19:49   #3855

For those looking for Sharp units in Bangalore, after a bit of follow-up got introduced to a Marketing Guy 9886 006641. Nice chap. you can refer my name

-Karthic

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2015 at 10:03. Reason: please do not... type... like... this...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks