Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2015, 18:51   #3946
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@diyguy; I hear R410 is much costlier then R22.
I believe mine is R22 because I had gas filled in my other Daikin for 700 in June last year. I think the gas leak welding is a scam they are trying to pull. I will try with an ordinary gas fill and wait and see if that loses its power again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
if I cant reach them, what will I do if I really needed them like in case of a service or repair?
I agree, thats a bummer and I wouldnt trust the brand either. On the other hand, these things can be fixed by pretty much anyone if you have a reliable ac mechanic. This is only if you are on a tight budget.
Old 8th April 2015, 21:22   #3947
BHPian

I did a vist of almost all the appliance showrooms around Marathahalli today evening.
Every shop promotes a brand as #1 selling. What surprised me was, at Girias, the gentleman said LG was #1 last year and is gonna be #1 this year while a lady SA was promoting Samsung as #1 .
I read a lot of bad reviews on Samsung in this thread. But according to her, Samsung gives 5 year warranty on the compressor and the cooling coil.

Any issues on going for a display piect? At Reliance, they had a Hitachi Kaze 1 ton 3 star model available for 26k. Do no think this has been switched on yet. Just that there could be a lot of dust in this. The only reason I am considering this unit is because its a Hitachi. I am unable to find any Sharp units around here.
Old 8th April 2015, 22:54   #3948
Senior - BHPian

Since when is warranty a guarantee of performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I read a lot of bad reviews on Samsung in this thread. But according to her, Samsung gives 5 year warranty on the compressor and the cooling coil.
Old 9th April 2015, 10:59   #3949
BANNED

@glenmz; A five to seven year warranty is pretty standard. They are warranting the cooling coil and NOT the condenser. A friend had his Samsung Window unit compressor fail under warranty, and the local franchisee was very abrupt and rude. They changed the compressor but made them pay a lot (was it 3k) for the refrigerant, clips, etc.
Old 9th April 2015, 12:20   #3950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How good is Lloyd
While the company has been advertising a lot on television, I won't recommend a Lloyd when there are more popular brands offering air conditioners at a similar price point. Look at Blue Star and LG. Service back up for a air conditioner is important in the long run and you must factor this during purchase.

A one ton Blue Star 5 star split is available at 31k on Flipkart.

Quote:
Lloyd comes with copper compressor and 5 year warranty.
I doubt it.
Old 9th April 2015, 14:40   #3951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I agree, thats a bummer and I wouldnt trust the brand either. On the other hand, these things can be fixed by pretty much anyone if you have a reliable ac mechanic. This is only if you are on a tight budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
While the company has been advertising a lot on television, I won't recommend a Lloyd when there are more popular brands offering air conditioners at a similar price point.
Thank you for your inputs. Have decided to skip Lloyd, after considering the Pros and Cons.

I have narrowed down to two choices - Sharp AH-X13PET and Panasonic CS-YC12PKY.

My usage will be around 9-10 hours every day, for 3 months a year, and 3-4 hours a day for 2-3 months a year. Will not need AC for about 6 months, though will be running it once in a while to keep it in good shape. Does it make sense to go for an inverter model for this usage?

The Sharp costs about 38K, including installation. I think Panasonic may cost about 30-32K (yet to get a quote). So, should I go for Panasonic (less initial cost) or spend more and go for Sharp? Will my usage justify and redeem the extra I spent if I go for Sharp instead of Panasonic?

Please Help!

--Anoop
Old 9th April 2015, 14:48   #3952
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your inputs. Have decided to skip Lloyd, after considering the Pros and Cons.

My usage will be around 9-10 hours every day, for 3 months a year, and 3-4 hours a day for 2-3 months a year. Will not need AC for about 6 months, though will be running it once in a while to keep it in good shape. Does it make sense to go for an inverter model for this usage?

The Sharp costs about 38K, including installation. I think Panasonic may cost about 30-32K (yet to get a quote). So, should I go for Panasonic (less initial cost) or spend more and go for Sharp? Will my usage justify and redeem the extra I spent if I go for Sharp instead of Panasonic?

Please Help!

--Anoop
If the Sharp is an inverter AC, and the Panasonic is a regular one, you should go for the inverter AC as per this calculation.

http://www.hifivision.com/general-lo...nditioner.html
Old 9th April 2015, 15:01   #3953
BANNED

Quote:

Both are good brands, but I will be biased towards the Sharp. I have always had the highest regard for them.
Old 9th April 2015, 15:13   #3954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@glenmz; A five to seven year warranty is pretty standard. They are warranting the cooling coil and NOT the condenser. A friend had his Samsung Window unit compressor fail under warranty, and the local franchisee was very abrupt and rude. They changed the compressor but made them pay a lot (was it 3k) for the refrigerant, clips, etc.
For some reason, my wife was talking to the guy who sold us our Samsung ACs several years previously and mentioned that we had replaced a failed compressor. The sales guy said that we should have called Samsung, as the compressor was still under warranty!
Old 9th April 2015, 15:34   #3955
BHPian

Quote:
@diyguy; I hear R410 is much costlier then R22.
Quote:
I believe mine is R22 because I had gas filled in my other Daikin for 700 in June last year.
I stand corrected on this one. I was reading that Daikin uses R32 in India. I dont know if the last gas refill the guy used R22 instead of R32, but this time I will check that.
Anyone know if this gas available for us to do it as a DIY thing? I am seeing that this is sold in cans for people to do it themselves, abroad.
Old 9th April 2015, 16:44   #3956
BANNED

Quote:
I stand corrected on this one. I was reading that Daikin uses R32 in India. I dont know if the last gas refill the guy used R22 instead of R32, but this time I will check that.
Anyone know if this gas available for us to do it as a DIY thing? I am seeing that this is sold in cans for people to do it themselves, abroad.
R32 is essentially very similar to R410a, except th latter has some fire retardants added. Working pressure of this lot are about 2.5x higher than R22 so substitution is a nogo. My two year old Daikin Invertor is R410a, and the R22 model was available cheaper.
Old 10th April 2015, 08:57   #3957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it make sense to go for an inverter model for this usage?
Absolutely.

If used right, the savings are close to 50% over a non inverter air conditioner and I say this from experience.
Old 10th April 2015, 10:43   #3958
BHPian

Daikin's new models (having QR instead of PR in their model nos.) now have an installation kit included. This means that one ends up saving the additional cost of the copper tube and electric wires. But this happens provided your requirement is less than 10 ft. If it's more, you'd have to install a completely new copper tubing and pay the regular high rates for installation kit (appro 200-250 per ft for copper) to the installer and they'd end up giving only 1K for the 10ft of copper tubing back to you!

The installation cost for me (approx 15-16 ft distance) for two ACs is turning out to be almost 14-15K. I could get an extra small window AC in that price!
Old 10th April 2015, 18:37   #3959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT: May be it is BS, but I have hared the same line from Sharp also. They also display 'No warranty if brought from Snapdeal' in their website.

--Anoop
But snapdeal isnt a seller, just a marketplace. What if a seller happens to be the local authorized dealer, then?
Old 11th April 2015, 19:09   #3960

Hello Friends,

Recently I started looking for an A/C in my room of dimensions (12.6 (l) x 10 (b )x 9 (h)). Did some research on the net and came to know that I needed a 1 TON A/c for which I was also looking for DC Inverter, Split and Hot and Cold (Heat Pump) options as I stay in Bangalore.

After googling I opted for Daikin (FTXS35FVMA), Mitsubishi Electric (MSZ-HJ35). I was also looking for some alternatives like ACs from General, Bluestar, Carrier but I mostly see them either poor in support or not having the hot and cold product. Few of them had 5 Star with H&C but I wanted to go with DC inverter due to the power savings it provide.

As the price was coming close to 55K for ME and 62K Daikin along with installation charges after negotiation I thought of looking at other alternatives.

However I also saw a company called Trane (TSI12DWXI-H) which had good reviews with the same technology as Daikin and ME. As Trane comes from Ingersoll Rand I assume it to be a good product.

My prime considerations are:
1) Power Saving
2) After Sales Support
3) Will be used both in Summers and Winters (heating)
4) Hassle free operation (able to clean basic filters ourselves)
5) Reasonable Price

Request your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks in Advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks