Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2015, 13:25   #4021
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Bought a Carrier Octra 1.5T 3-Star split AC yesterday. The installation is promised for today. The MRP was 40,600/- and on account of some offer, we got it for 38K plus 4K for a Bluebird 4.0KVA stabilizer and installation charges of Rs. 299/-.

Carrier is advertising '100% copper' which probably swung the decision in its favor. Now, although the purchase is done, still would like to know how TBHP AC experts view Carrier as an AC Brand?

Cannot comment on the performance as of yet as the installation will be done today.
Old 22nd April 2015, 13:46   #4022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
4K for a Bluebird 4.0KVA stabilizer and installation charges of Rs. 299/-.
Is this a double boost stabilizer? Also typically recommended is 5KVA for 1.5T.
There are some dos and donts during installation and what to look out for etc a few pages back, if you are interested...
Old 22nd April 2015, 13:48   #4023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Is this a double boost stabilizer? Also typically recommended is 5KVA for 1.5T.
There are some dos and donts during installation and what to look out for etc a few pages back, if you are interested...
I don't have a clue over this! Since we do not have voltage fluctuations, shouldn't that be okay? I am certainly interested in the installation guides here...will dig out it for reading. Thanks. Any comments on the AC unit and if Carrier is good enough?
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:03   #4024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I don't have a clue over this!
I purchased a 5Kva Everest stabilizer on Sunday for Rs 1350. Normal one. The 4KVA was 1150rs. I do not have an opinion on the carrier. I had a window ac carrier, about 12-13 years ago and it worked well for about 4 years, though it was pretty noisy. No other experience with Carrier, sorry.
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:39   #4025
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I have a plan to buy 10 numbers of 1.5T - 2 or 3 Star Split A/C for a mosque. I am looking at buying Onida.

Onida contacted me directly and after two days of negotiations, i have been offered the following price
2 Star 1.5T Split A/C - Rs. 27999 (A/C) + 2640 (for double booster Stabilizer) + Free installation & delivery
3 Star 1.5T Split A/C - Rs. 29999 (A/C) + 2640 (for double booster Stabilizer) + Free installation & delivery

I feel this is a good offer, but i am negotiating to get 10 numbers of the 2 Star A/C at 3L (round figure). Please do let me know your comments.
Old 22nd April 2015, 17:20   #4026
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
If buying a window AC , avoid a Hitachi . They are almost on par with slit AC's in terms on pricing ( 5 * rated). In case you are going for Inverter AC's Diakin, Sharp and General are the best bets. If a normal split, you could look at the other brands like Voltas, LG,. Ihave a Hitachi Quadracool and I an not satisfied with the product annd the service.
I have to agree. I too have a Hitachi quadracool window ac and extremely disappointed with the product.

1. It is 1.5T unit and just 3 years old. It has not been able to cool the 150 sq ft room effectively after the first year. We have to leave the ceiling fan on along with the AC

2. Frequent clogging of the fins (evaporator?) in spite of regular cleaning of the filter. I am at a loss to understand how dust gets beyond the regular filter. In comparison our 10 year old Samsung 1T window AC has no visible dust in the fins

3. The motors that operate the louvers to allow it to swing left or right go kaput easily. Another friend who has the same unit says it is a frequent problem in his unit as well

4. We had to do wet servicing of the AC 3 times in the last 3 years to avoid ice accumulation. In comparison our Samsung has never had a wet service in 10 years

5. Very poor service from Hitachi and I was forced to take an AMC last year to ensure that service personnel come home and also for peace of mind given the issues we had

6. We paid a bomb for the brand and looks of this AC, but has been a huge disappointment

7. AC has never been able to cool the room uniformly and we have to keep the ceiling fan always on to ensure far end of the room doesn't feel hot
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:18   #4027
Distinguished - BHPian

When I came here in early 2005, I bought a Samsung window unit. Fitted in the bedroom, it was also able to blow on me when seated at my desk in the living room.

When we moved house, a couple of years later, we fitted all new split AC units. The old Window unit was shifted to my wife's second home (she kept her flat, and goes there every Sunday to see her friends and do some religious stuff in which I have absolutely no interest) and, with a repair here or there, it is still running. It is very, very noisy, and I wanted to replace it, but our repair man says it is good for a while yet.

I'm sure it is a case of they don't make them like they used to, and I don't think I would buy another Samsung, but what is the best of the low-budget-makes, simple 1 or 1.5 ton window machine these days?

Going back to Sharp, I might have got this link from this thread, but it is worth reposting. It gives more technical detail than any other source I have seen...

Review of Sharp AH-XP18MV 1.5Ton Eco-Inverter Air Conditioner (Digit Forum
)

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 22nd April 2015 at 18:21.
Old 23rd April 2015, 09:22   #4028
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I called up the capo of the dealership yesterday, he has promised to send someone on Monday to remove the motor, and they may take a couple of day to repair it. So I am waiting for Monday. I will keep the thread posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
I have to agree. I too have a Hitachi quadracool window ac and extremely disappointed with the product.
No action till date. The service desk lady was just giving me the runaround. So managed to catch the capo yesterday. It seems that he has decided to replace the motor, and is expecting a new one this week. So fingers crossed. First I want it fixed (my guesstimate is that it costs ₹5500) then I will look further. One thing for sure no more Hitachi units for us. The motor lasted not even three years of very sparing usage.
Old 23rd April 2015, 11:41   #4029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post

1. It is 1.5T unit and just 3 years old. It has not been able to cool the 150 sq ft room effectively after the first year. We have to leave the ceiling fan on along with the AC

2. Frequent clogging of the fins (evaporator?) in spite of regular cleaning of the filter. I am at a loss to understand how dust gets beyond the regular filter. In comparison our 10 year old Samsung 1T window AC has no visible dust in the fins

3. The motors that operate the louvers to allow it to swing left or right go kaput easily. Another friend who has the same unit says it is a frequent problem in his unit as well

4. We had to do wet servicing of the AC 3 times in the last 3 years to avoid ice accumulation. In comparison our Samsung has never had a wet service in 10 years

5. Very poor service from Hitachi and I was forced to take an AMC last year to ensure that service personnel come home and also for peace of mind given the issues we had

6. We paid a bomb for the brand and looks of this AC, but has been a huge disappointment

7. AC has never been able to cool the room uniformly and we have to keep the ceiling fan always on to ensure far end of the room doesn't feel hot
Making it difficult to zero-in on a particular one. Thankfully, yesterday night temperature was better than day before's so am not rushing into buying one instantly but when I have to anyways pay, why wait more days?

Among Window ACs, choices aren't too many. General (and I find that 'O' to be a 'G' logo as it has a horizontal line in there at middle) doesn't have anything beyond 3 star and I only see electricity prices soaring for another few years. Will I have to settle for a LG or Voltas then? Enough horror stories about Voltas on this thread. LG was compared to a tricycle in one of the posts!!

Some satisfactory stories from Hitachi owners would do good, perhaps.

As they see, deeper the thoughts, more difficult the decision making is.
Old 23rd April 2015, 12:38   #4030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by modisan View Post
Some satisfactory stories from Hitachi owners would do good, perhaps.
Seems like you did not see SGIITK's post just above yours!
Actually, I am appalled at the troubles people have been having with 'premium' brands like Daikin.
My recommendation would be to go with LG. I have two that are doing tenth year duty this year! Or do they not make them like that anymore?
Old 23rd April 2015, 12:57   #4031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Seems like you did not see SGIITK's post just above yours!
Actually, I am appalled at the troubles people have been having with 'premium' brands like Daikin.
My recommendation would be to go with LG. I have two that are doing tenth year duty this year! Or do they not make them like that anymore?
Pardon me, I did miss his mention on Hitachi. Doesn't change things much. People who recommended me have theirs running since ages. No disregard to SGIITK though.

I have bought 2 Samsungs till date -one in 98, which was run in a desert in a cabin of a bitumen plant for 3 years and when brought home and serviced, the engineer refused to believe it could run. Its front panel and all are gone but it runs like a charm and cools fantastically. At my brother's place, didn't check for power consumption though.

Another bought in 2005 and using continuously but is high on power usage. Serviced once a year. Didn't cool my lajpat nagar house on 2nd floor well but does a great job on 3rd floor of a 17 storey building and keep having to turn off.

So, I too believe that an LG will run long too (Samsung doesn't make them anymore, isn't it?) and some models have wattage of around 1400 only - will recheck the model. Saves money upfront too.

Letting more sand pass through.
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:38   #4032
BANNED

everyone has his horror stories. My son bought a Samsung split unit in Manipal. It needed two condensers in three years - aluminium condenser getting corroded. I must say my Daikin 2T Inverter is giving good service for over two years. However, we need five plus years to really judge. I have a couple of Videocon Window units for over 12 years working beautifully. On the other hand I had all sorts of problems with Videocon Split over a decade. New Compressor in two years, and then a new evaporator/indoor unit after five years.
Old 24th April 2015, 08:30   #4033
BHPian

Given limited choices in window AC, I have decided to open up for less than 5 star ones too. Now I am also finding Panasonic and Sharp ACs with 2 to 3 star ratings. This thread has spoken highly of these two brands but most of it is for split/inverter ACs. Would someone advise if we can get high standards from their winow ACs too. Prices are lower by 4-5 k compared to LG 5 star ACs and I believe that should justify accepting slightly higher power usage. Some details below
Sharp - 1.5T, 2 star, AFA-18-RTS - Price - 23k - no details on CFM, Refrigerant, EER (but 2 star mention would put wattage around 1700W)
(Warranty details in 2 different places read as 1+4 and 3+2, not sure which one is right. Perhaps will call to clarify).
Panasonic 1.5T, 2 star, UC1814YA - Price - 25k - no details on CFM, Refrigerant, EER (but 2 star mention would put wattage around 1700W)

Are these worth taking the risk?
Old 24th April 2015, 10:14   #4034
BANNED

@modisan; Take it that a Window unit will be R22. Both are excellent brands. Are there no 4*s either?
Old 24th April 2015, 12:27   #4035
BHPian

Folks, what kind of usage entails buying a 5 star unit over a 3 star one? We already have a 5 star unit in the main bedroom, and need to get another installed in the second one which is occupied infrequently that too mostly in the night. Any thoughts?

Also, checked on flipkart and Voltas 1.5 split with 5 star rating is available for 32.5K. Local dealers are offering at around 37K.Should I go via flipkart? (the 3 star one is at 28.5K).

(Since the horror stories are consistent across brands so I reckon I'll take a chance with Voltas)

Last edited by avisidhu : 24th April 2015 at 12:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks