Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2016, 17:53   #4696
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Friends,

I am in the pursuit of buying an Inverter split Ac for bedroom of approx 140 sq.ft. Though many shops asked us to go for 1 ton, we decided to go for 1.5 ton after reading a lot about their running duration, etc. So 1.5 ton Inverter AC it is. I shortlisted down to two models finally based on general quality perception, copper components and ofcourse the price -

1) Voltas 183 V EY
2) BlueStar 18 CAF

Highlights for the Voltas include 5 years warranty for the entire A/C (condenser and compressor included), immediate availability and a good deal from Nandilath.

Highlights for the Bluestar model include upto 20m of pipe length possibility, an additional four filters and 'I feel' option where the room temperature sensing is on the remote (which I feel is quite an useful feature). It also has a metal covering for the circuit board as per the website. But AC is not readily available and will take atleast 10 days. Voltas may be cheaper by 2k.

Is there any way that you can help me out of this confusion? I don't mind either brands but I think the main confusion here is whether to weigh the 5 years warranty more or the better features of the Bluestar Ac?
Old 5th May 2016, 19:59   #4697
Senior - BHPian

You would do well to avoid both brands.

In the same price range you can get Panasonic & the made in India models of Daikin & Hitachi.

As things stand, TVM & especially Cochin offer easy availability of General machines imported from the Gulf. No warranty there but great quality and machines designed to work consistently in high ambient temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Friends,
Old 6th May 2016, 10:17   #4698
Senior - BHPian

Go for Blue Star, you may or may not get good service but metal covering of PCB is a really good idea and it conducts heat away from PCB. Inverter PCB converts AC into DC and considering the high amperes an AC may need this PCB can get really hot. The fact is the weakest part of an inverter AC is the PCB and you really need to take care of that. And they make their inverter AC's in India unlike voltas which imports components from China. So technically Blue Star parts should be easily available.
Old 6th May 2016, 10:37   #4699
Senior - BHPian

Longer Warranty and the actual delivery of warranty services far outweigh the "brand" name and "features".

All ac brands use the same chinese/taiwanese OEM parts to assemble.
Ever wonder why all brands are hovering at almost the same price?
Old 6th May 2016, 10:46   #4700
Senior - BHPian

more than the 'warranty' the local dealer is more important. If you know and trust the local dealer, and have used AC's from them before then it is good enough. I know the local voltas dealer and he just does not have manpower to back up even simple work like giving a water service for the AC. Some VIP technician visited me and told me that he needed to 'take the ac' to the dealer to give it a water service. So if voltas has even 10 years warranty and this is the kind of dealers who support voltas then I would still give Voltas the miss. With A/C's you need to

'think global act local'.
Old 8th May 2016, 23:22   #4701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Compressor running continuously will overheat and the winding may give way. Till you get the thermostat issue solved, switch the AC off every two or three hours for 10 minutes.

If the thermostat cannot be repaired or is very expensive, then you have another option. Install a mechanical thermostat (as used in AC's of yesteryears). They are available in shops that sell AC components. Similar to this
http://www.lingsion.com/project/airc...mostatpfa606s/

The pipe tip is placed infront of the cooling fin, the contacts are in series with the compressor.
I ran the AC for almost 10 days without the compressor cutoff functioning with the risk of burn-out

Called the technician this weekend, he opened the thermostat unit, removed the copper sensor and the controller (electro-mechanical solenoid valve), checked its functioning/cutoff in an offline mode using ice immersion and found to be working fine, installed it back, and now it is working fine

in all likelihood, seems some connection or fitting must be restricting its functioning earlier

it's all good now, and this 14 yr old 1.5t LG window unit working back to it's glory

Last edited by Anupam : 8th May 2016 at 23:23.
Old 9th May 2016, 15:06   #4702
Senior - BHPian

Dear friends,

We need split ac recommendation for a bedroom and a drawing/dining room.

Bedroom size is 11*14 ft whereas drawing/dining room size is 10*16 (drawing) and 10*8 (dininig).

For drawing/dining, we can settle for a relatively cheaper brand since the usage will not be very much.

But for Bedroom a relatively good brand (not nessasarrily high end brand), like Bluestar/Carrier/LG etc. is preferred.

Can you please suggest

1) Capacity for drawing cum dining and Bedroom ACs.
2) Brand for both.'
Old 9th May 2016, 15:11   #4703
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have feedback on Whirlpool Magicool DLX models. The store here has it in ready stock and it costs about 32000 for the 1.5 ton for AC, installation, stabiliser, etc.
Old 9th May 2016, 15:19   #4704
BHPian

Went with the Lloyd 1.5 ton inverter AC from local shop in my hometown. Thought its better to have local support so that dad has easy access to help if anything goes wrong. As local vendor all other ACs in that range(i.e LG, Samsung etc) have aluminum coils instead of copper.

Ac seems to be cooling the room quickly and very effective. Anyone has any review on Lloyd ACs?
Old 10th May 2016, 14:08   #4705
BHPian

The most common question asked in thsi thread is "what capacity?" Most people post just room size length x breadth. What is required is room volume, orientation, whether top floor, etc. I find thsi website very useful for calculating AC capacity:

Air Conditioner Sizing Calculator for India
http://www.bijlibachao.com/air-conditioners/air-conditioner-selection-understand-tonnage-eer-cop-and-star-rating.html

Scroll to bottom of page
Old 10th May 2016, 16:06   #4706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Does anyone have feedback on Whirlpool Magicool DLX models. The store here has it in ready stock and it costs about 32000 for the 1.5 ton for AC, installation, stabiliser, etc.
Not sure if this is a Window or Split you are talking. Either way, I have a Whirlpool in my house for the past 8 years. Just regular filter dusting stuff done and it is working well yet.

My sister's place has got two Whirlpool splits and both are doing well for 4+ years. They have had LG as well but went kaput within the same period.

The Window unit throws out a lot of air and cools pretty quickly. The splits are impressive as well.

They don't have a lot of fancy filters but do their job efficiently.

Hope it helps.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:33   #4707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Not sure if this is a Window or Split you are talking. Either way, I have a Whirlpool in my house for the past 8 years. Just regular filter dusting stuff done and it is working well yet.
Thanks - thats exactly the kind of info I needed.
Old 11th May 2016, 14:06   #4708
Senior - BHPian

One thing I can vouch for whirlpool is that even my panasonic refrigerator repair technician carried around whirlpool R-22 and other whirlpool branded kit. It seems they are the only ones with OTC gas and kit sales in India. Obviously a company that takes service quite seriously.
Old 11th May 2016, 15:10   #4709
BHPian

I plan to get a Carrier Superia 5 Star 1 ton split for my mom in the living room - east facing, ground floor, 2 regular size wooden windows - 12ftX12ft, Kolkata. Can anyone chime in on the Carrier customer support/after-sales scene in Kolkata?
Old 11th May 2016, 15:47   #4710
BHPian

IMO, currently there are just 3 best AC brands to look out for:
  • General ---- The best one. Expensive though.
  • Daikin ------ Impressive. I got one since 3.5 years. No issues at all.
  • Mitsubishi -- Same as Daikin. Service is good in my city.
If money is not an issue go for General. Else anyone from Daikin/Mitsubishi.

Note: If Vitamin M crunch...go for Voltas.

Last edited by keeprevving : 11th May 2016 at 15:48.

Most Viewed