Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2016, 14:50   #4846
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And, I bet they wrapped it tight. Amazing, how guys applying insulation don't understand how it works: it is the air in the foam that does the actual insulating, so, if you do cover it with tape do not make the same mistake and compress the foam.
Yes, it was pretty tight. The AC actually came with a blue breathable strip of cloth which I believe was to be used for the wrapping, but they did not use that as it is probably a slower process. When I shifted home, we got rid of this length of pipe and used a fresh set.
Old 28th July 2016, 13:39   #4847
BHPian

Need an advise.

Need to buy 4 ACs for my new flat in Chennai which i intend to let out on rent.

The flat is on 5th floor of an high riser (16 floors).

BR Room Sizes are
12*13.1
11.2*12.7
12.2*12.7
11*12.7

Is 1 ton sufficient ? or should i go for 1.5 ?
Where in Chennai can i get a good deal for ACs ?

Last edited by bnzjon : 28th July 2016 at 13:44.
Old 28th July 2016, 18:25   #4848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Need an advise.

Need to buy 4 ACs for my new flat in Chennai which i intend to let out on rent.

The flat is on 5th floor of an high riser (16 floors).

BR Room Sizes are
12*13.1
11.2*12.7
12.2*12.7
11*12.7

Is 1 ton sufficient ? or should i go for 1.5 ?
Where in Chennai can i get a good deal for ACs ?
1 Ton would be on the lower side, better get 1.5T. As you are renting the flat out with AC, I suggest you get 2 star AC instead of much more expensive 5 star.

If you can, get the AC from a dealer who is also does authorised repair for the brand, and then negotiate a deal for purchase + maintenance (parts+labour) for 5 years.
Old 28th July 2016, 18:50   #4849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1 Ton would be on the lower side, better get 1.5T. As you are renting the flat out with AC, I suggest you get 2 star AC instead of much more expensive 5 star.

If you can, get the AC from a dealer who is also does authorised repair for the brand, and then negotiate a deal for purchase + maintenance (parts+labour) for 5 years.
Thanks.
Do you suggest any brands (keeping in mind that am renting out the flat to someone) ?
Old 28th July 2016, 19:27   #4850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Thanks.
Do you suggest any brands (keeping in mind that am renting out the flat to someone) ?
If you find some one who is assembling AC in your neighbourhood that would be the best option. One thing I have found is that the older low tech window AC rarely failed, had no electronics to blow and could be maintained fairly easily.

As an example with my 5 star Hitachi Window AC, I find that to increase the efficiency the fins of the heat exchanger (both cold and hot side) the pitch is reduced so that there are more fins so better heat exchange. What they did not realise is that in dusty Indian conditions the closely spaced get clogged very fast reducing cooling. This requires at least three wet cleaning a season compared to one every two years for the older generation.
Old 29th July 2016, 13:17   #4851
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone remember Daikin FTE60LV16? I googled out a mention of it in this thread from four years ago.

Have a possibility of a used unit through our local engineer. He says he can't be sure of the age as it is not wide to trust the sellers on that! He will be maintaining it.

Heck, I really want to go out and spend 50K-plus on a super, new machine... but can't.

I'm aware that a used machine might only last a couple of years. And that, in economic principles, the rule is cheaper to buy once. Well, there I go
Old 29th July 2016, 14:23   #4852
BHPian

Quote:
I'm aware that a used machine might only last a couple of years. And that, in economic principles, the rule is cheaper to buy once. Well, there I go
I have 2 Daikins that are now 5-6 years old. Both have had gas filled once and apart from that no other issue. I've shifted home once since. I think if you purchase it from someone who is relocating then in all likelihood the machine should be okay. I've also heard the older Daikins were full imports and hence are better quality in everything. Might be a good buy.
I am not aware what price you are getting for the pre-owned Daikin, if it were close to a new cheaper model/brand such as a samsung, maybe you can consider that.
One funny thing I remembered when I saw a guy negotiating for an ac purchase in Shahs. He wanted 200rs off... I told him do not switch on the ac for a couple of nights and you have your 200rs off... depending on your usage, your running costs will outdo the capital investment within a year or max 2. Am sure you know all this, but hey was free and enjoy giving my 2 cents
Old 29th July 2016, 16:40   #4853
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that the price for this machine will be around 20K. We will return the LG which is not suiting us and just pay the extra.

I'm still faffing around with the idea that I really should go for my actual choice, which is the new Panasonic Inverter machine, instead of paying over 1/3rd the cost on something that may satisfy less.
Old 29th July 2016, 23:32   #4854
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I really should go for my actual choice, which is the new Panasonic Inverter machine, instead of paying over 1/3rd the cost on something that may satisfy less.
I have a Panasonic (non-inverter HVAC) which is low-tech but I found it to be incredible value for money and 8 months on its proven itself reliable in all respects. Its not used too often and we don't care much for blow-force or cooling speed as its Bangalore which is quite salubrious, climate wise. As long as it enables good ventilation it is enough.

Its non-HVAC range though has incredible tech it seems, the presence sensor, motion sensor or something of that sort to accurately blast the air towards the direction of the room occupant and of course the savings of power consumption with inverter tech. Its much cheaper than the overrated brands honestly, and I can vouch for its silent running both by the inside and outside units. If value for money is the need I'd choose a brand new Panasonic over used models of even Daikin or General. Its not like Daikin is a European-make boasting of extremely high quality materials or superb design. Both Panasonic and Daikin are Japanese and while Daikin will have the edge by a few percentage points, the Panasonic is not too far behind.

Just thought I'd give you my opinion, as reading one of your posts about you getting to know the trouble-free nature of Panasonic which was used in a function hall, was what finally swung the brand to a yes for me. Full circle eh?
Old 30th July 2016, 00:40   #4855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Just thought I'd give you my opinion, as reading one of your posts about you getting to know the trouble-free nature of Panasonic which was used in a function hall, was what finally swung the brand to a yes for me. Full circle eh?
Ha ha, yes

My purchase was scheduled for this spring/summer, then a 10-lakh flood came along, plus one or two other things.

I would go for a high-end Panasonic, but there are features which I certainly don't need and actually don't want. I don't want the thing to sense me and blow on me: quite the reverse, I use ACs for indirect draft-free cooling. So I would go for Panasonic price tier two or three.

I can find the cash. Just... it's earmarked for other serious things.

And I'm already in trouble as, when the pet shop sent a Rs600 bag of cat food yesterday, instead of sending it back, I paid for it. Spending the family-food money on the cat .
Old 30th July 2016, 01:01   #4856
BHPian

Quote:
If I had a choice, I would shift everything to Panasonic.

Right now I have a Panasonic grinder, iron, vacuum cleaner, fridge, microwave, etc., but an LG and Sharp AC and a Samsung washing machine.

From my experience, Panasonic service might as well be non-existent (I have almost never used their service), but as an engineer I can make out that their products are superior to everything else in the market.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 30th July 2016 at 01:05.
Old 30th July 2016, 21:25   #4857
Distinguished - BHPian

Wife has pre-empted me, and arranged a new indoor unit for our second-hand setup. She's right: we have more important needs to spend on.

So, there go my dreams of the new Panasonic. For now...
Old 30th July 2016, 23:19   #4858
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And I'm already in trouble as, when the pet shop sent a Rs600 bag of cat food yesterday, instead of sending it back, I paid for it. Spending the family-food money on the cat
Well I'd say the cat is just as much a part of your family by now as are the other members. I'm glad he/she's getting a lot of care and love and I feel its worth it, entertaining fellas they are.

Quote:
Wife has pre-empted me, and arranged a new indoor unit for our second-hand setup. She's right: we have more important needs to spend on.

So, there go my dreams of the new Panasonic. For now...
Of course, in the end its a piece of plastic that throws cooling gas into the house.. any brand should do the trick and as long as its cheap its well worth the acquisition cost. Lets hope whatever brand you get now delivers even better performance than a Panasonic. Unlike mobiles or televisions, fridges and air-conditioners are completely utilitarian and have more or less a consistent performance across brands and fail very rarely as well, you should not have much problems and if it serves 5-6 years then money well spent.
Old 31st July 2016, 03:05   #4859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well I'd say the cat is just as much a part of your family by now
I'd say so... my wife would think otherwise

Quote:
Of course, in the end its a piece of plastic that throws cooling gas into the house.. any brand should do the trick and as long as its cheap its well worth the acquisition cost. Lets hope whatever brand you get now delivers even better performance than a Panasonic. Unlike mobiles or televisions, fridges and air-conditioners are completely utilitarian and have more or less a consistent performance across brands and fail very rarely as well, you should not have much problems and if it serves 5-6 years then money well spent.
Well yes, although it is very like buying a used car. You are always going to score slightly more on smoothness, comfort, new toys, lack of niggles (hopefully!) by being the first person to drive it away from a dealer, even though there are economic advantages to buying used.

And doing the sensible thing is often not so much fun!
Old 31st July 2016, 22:12   #4860
Senior - BHPian

My 8 year old samsung split a/c refused to turn on today. No response via remote or using manual button on the unit.

Checked the mains supply but it was ok. Called up the a/c mechanic, he turned up and found the circuit board was not supplying current further to the unit. Some moisture resulted in failure of the board's part.

Cost Rs. 1000 to rectify it.

I was wondering if not using voltage stabilizer would have resulted in the damage? I am not using stabilizer on this a/c since last two years when it was conked off. Also I usually keep the MCB supply on even when the a/c is off from the remote.

Most Viewed