Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 16:23   #1
RAC
BHPian

Help - problem with internet connection at home

Hi
I am facing a problem in connecting my laptop to internet. But before I proceed, please be informed that I am a complete alien to the way computers work. So please be simple and detailed in your response.

I have a BSLN broadband connection and it was working fine till last week. Now, whenever I switch on the modem (Type1 – LAN cable to the laptop), the local area connection status shows the message – “Connected” but with “Limited access/connection”. With this I am unable to access internet.

Ps: I did perform a status check of the modem driver or something – Broadcom xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx . The connection speed which recently started showing connected at 10 Mbps went back to connected at 100Mbps.

If the check the status:
- All the 4 led’s on the modem glow
- The message shows connected at 100MBPS but I am not able to access internet
- There is no IP assigned to the machine
- Not able to ping 192.168.1.1

I have even assigned IP manually to the machine with all the details – Subnet mask, Gateway, DNS server, etc. With this, the connections status shows connected and the error message “Limited access/connection” does not appear anymore. However I am still not able to access internet.

Then I tried this. I connected the modem to a wireless router and used the wireless connection to access internet and it worked. It is able to assign IP automatically.

Can anyone help me here? I have been trying various things but am not able to solve it. I am one step short of calling a hardware engineer for this issue.

(Before you ask why don’t I continue using the wireless setup – I just need to figure out what has gone wrong and rectify the problem)
Old 12th August 2008, 22:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Try resetting the modem. Ask your isp for DNS Server and it solves the problem most of the times.
Old 12th August 2008, 23:15   #3
BHPian

Assign the IP address 192.168.1.2 to your computer. Subnet 255.255.255.0. Gateway 192.168.1.1. For DNS use 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220. Try if internet works. If it does not, assign the ip 192.168.0.2. Subnet 255.255.255.0 & Gateway 192.168.0.1, Same DNS as before. Try and see if it works. Else you need to go the engineer way.
Old 13th August 2008, 21:56   #4
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Try resetting the modem. Ask your isp for DNS Server and it solves the problem most of the times.
Does re-setting the modem involve some settings to be entered in the modem. this is because there is a problem with my account and i am unable to log into my bsnl account and in this scene, do not want to try anything which is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Assign the IP address 192.168.1.2 to your computer. Subnet 255.255.255.0. Gateway 192.168.1.1. For DNS use 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220. Try if internet works. If it does not, assign the ip 192.168.0.2. Subnet 255.255.255.0 & Gateway 192.168.0.1, Same DNS as before. Try and see if it works. Else you need to go the engineer way.
I tried all the IP's as mentioned by you, the network shows connected but I am still unable to connect to internet or ping 192.168.1.1.
The connection check status is as below. Does it make sense.
Is it a problem with the modem?
Is it a problem with the port on the computer where the network cable is connected?

Connection test passed

Test details

This connection is configured to use a
static IP address.
Ping Gateway 192.168.0.1 : Failed
Ping DNS 208.67.222.222 : Failed
Ping DNS 208.67.220.220 : Failed
No WINS server is available for this
connection

Hardware Test

EEPROM Test : Passed
FIFO Test : Passed
Register Test : Passed
Interrupt Test : Passed
Loopback Test(s) : Failed

Last edited by RAC : 13th August 2008 at 21:59.
Old 13th August 2008, 22:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Go to the command prompt on your computer,
Type ipconfig /all and post the output here please.
Old 13th August 2008, 22:29   #6
jav
BHPian

try another network cable and see if it works

Last edited by jav : 13th August 2008 at 22:40.
Old 14th August 2008, 04:40   #7
BHPian

How did you use to connect earlier? with router or without the router?

what is the make and model of the Modem?
how do you connect normally ? you start the laptop and you are connected to the internet or do you click on any icon and click connect then use the internet?
Try the below steps:
  1. From the Start menu, click Connect To, and choose Show all connections.

2. Click the New Connection Wizard icon.

3. Click the Next button.

4. Select Connect to the Internet.
  5. Click the Next button.

6. Select Set up my connection manually.
  7. Click the Next button.

8. Select Connect using a broadband connection that requires username and password.
  9. Click the Next button.

10. In the ISP Name field, type EarthLink.
  11. Click the Next button.

12. Select Anyone's use.
  13. Click the Next button.

14. In the User name field, type your full BSNL email address or the account ID ().
  15. In the Password field, type your Account password.
  16. In the Confirm password field, type your account password.
  17. Check the box next to Use this account name a password when anyone uses this computer .
  18. Check the box next to Make this the default Internet connection.
  19. Click the Next button.

20. Check the box next to Add a shortcut th this connection to my desktop.
  21. Click the Finish button.

If still not working then try:
1)Start --> Run-> type CMD and press enter
2)In the dos Prompt type ipconfig /flushdns enter
3)type ipconfig /registerdns enter
4)type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt enter
5)type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt enter again
6)type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt enter again

Restart the computer it , hope for the best
Old 14th August 2008, 05:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

You have said that when the modem is connected to a router, Internet works - did you configure anything in this router (or was it configured earlier for this modem)?

You need to know your BSNL username and password and VCI / VPI settings (can be obtained from BSNL) before you reset the modem - but if the same modem works with a router with no changes being made on the modem, then the problem is not with the modem.

I would suggest you first try Romyeo's steps given above and tell us what happens.
Old 14th August 2008, 09:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think you need to assign laptop ip address as 192.168.1.100 or above. I think there is a setup in modem where you define your computer IP addresses and the BSNL folks set it up as 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.155. try this and if this doesn't work then call the engineer.
Old 14th August 2008, 09:26   #10
BHPian

Whether he configured the router or not will only be of concern if he is able to ping the router. In this case, the router/modem is not pingable. What is the model and make of your router? Have you tried resetting the router? If you have not, try resetting the router and then try with the ips I provided above. If you can ping, we can proceed further.
Old 29th August 2008, 10:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hathway Cable

Fella's here's the situation : PC running a hathway cable connection does not load specific sites - Gmail, hotmail, Yahoo mail.

The primary page loads etc and once login details are provided it just stalls. Same thing happens with Google search. Portal loads but after feeding in the query it starts searching and stalls.

Initially thought it was the ISP (hathway cable sucks, its as good as not having a connection.) But when we plugged in a laptop we found the sites loading.

Other diagnosis : The system also recently began using NOD32 as the AV. Not sure if the problem started after that but I uninstalled that but still no luck.

What could be the issue?

Could there be some worm/trojan perhaps trying to hijack ?

I would have loved to pin this on hathway because honestly their service is just not worth it. Its lack of other broadband ISP's in the area which has resulted in them being the chosen one.
Old 29th August 2008, 10:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

@RAC.

I had BSNL connection for a short period of time. I had type 4 router.

From your case ( thread starter ), mostly its the Router that is the problem. Also there is confusion wheather you are using Router or Modem or both.

I will consider that you are using type 1 router bought from BSNL or you have router on rent from BSNL.

In your laptop's lancard, assing IP as 192.168.0.5. Subnet mask, we all know. in Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 and in Preferred DNS Server enter 192.168.1.1. Leave the Alternate DNS server untouched.

This should start the internet. If it doesnt, then most probably there is some problem in your router.

I would like to suggest something more about putting the username and password in router itself.
Read the documentation supplied from BSNL ( if at all they have supplied ) or else get the manual of your router from net ( may be ask you friend who has net connection ). Generally you will get a pdf format manual from internet. Read it and enter you BSNL username and password in the router itself. This will make sure that the OS or the connection making procedure of OS is not making any problem. Whenever you want to do net, just switch on your router.

@s0uljah:

If the sites are loading on laptop and not on desktop, then there is something wrong in desktop and not internet connection. Some times the present day antivirus and internet security block a few sites. Here, you just need to make changes in the way antivirus/internet security works. Generally by unchecking or checking a few boxes in the settings/options tab will do the job.

If still this continues, then its viruses that are giving trouble.
Old 7th July 2010, 14:26   #13
BHPian

Calling for help from all Techies... My ISP is my local cablewallah who used to have a tie-up with Nivyah broadband. He switched to Five Net about a month ago and ever since I’m unable to download any file in excess of 5-6 MB from the internet. Most of the time the download doesn’t start at all… once in a while it starts but stops in between and always at the same spot (for e.g. if I’m downloading a 10MB file and it stops at 5.4MB, it will always stop at 5.4MB no matter how many times I restart the download). This happens across browsers (IE, FF, Safari) and operating systems (Win XP, OS X) so whatever is wrong has to be at the ISP end. I’ve tried changing the DNS server from FiveNet’s DNS to OpenDNS and Google DNS, but the problem remains.

What can be the issue? Is the ISP blocking some ports (80?) that is leading to this problem? If so, what's the workaround?

Please help me to resolve this urgently… this is driving me crazy!!

Thanks
Old 7th July 2010, 15:46   #14
BHPian

Try reinstalling the modem drivers and a restart.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd25 View Post
Try reinstalling the modem drivers and a restart.
I've not been provided with a modem. There's just a Cat5 wire that goes into the ethernet port.

Most Viewed