Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 11:24   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Jaggu, why did you wait for the official launch? The grey market has been carrying the iPhone since ages. Would have been substantially cheaper too.
Old 27th August 2008, 11:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

I got my iphone for 34580 bucks due to advance booking and collection at 12 midnight

Well your review is brilliant and sums up all. (Dont need to make a new one now )

@ GTO
This one comes with an actual warranty and not like other grey market iphones)

if the grey market iphones stop working and cannot be repaired, your money is gone for a wash , but not with these.

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 27th August 2008 at 11:27.
Old 27th August 2008, 11:36   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
if the grey market iphones stop working and cannot be repaired, your money is gone for a wash , but not with these.
At any rate, ones wallet has gone for a scrub. After initial hiccups, most grey i-phones seem to work fine

Great review Jaggu on the Devil's Food Cake as some might say!
Old 27th August 2008, 11:44   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Jaggu, why did you wait for the official launch? The grey market has been carrying the iPhone since ages. Would have been substantially cheaper too.
1) Yes as abhinav pointed out, i preferred to buy a brand new piece without any hacks. Official warranty is anyday worth it, just like extended warranty we take on our cars.

2) I was looking at officially unlocked sets, but they were costly, running rate was 1000 USD plus and then the headache of shipping and all, our customs is a headache to deal with.

3) I wanted to upgrade from my 2.5G (ready for 3G when it launches in couple of months) and preferably with GPS, so i didnt pick up the classic iPhone.

4) last but not least, Airtel since they offer official unlock in India after 12 months, unlike Vodafone that doesnt have this option. Also i didnt want to change my 8 year ol cell phone number.
Old 27th August 2008, 12:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Jaggu for that detailed review!

I am impressed with iPhone's UI, Sound clarity, mail & web surfing, iPod....!

Will start saving now & also wait for the price drop!
Old 27th August 2008, 12:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu,

Good review of iPhone 3G this one is. I have the 2G one and I love most of the things there. For me, coming from an old Nokia model which could just call and sms, to an iPhone is something phenomenal.

As you have mentioned, itunes is a bit of a bother and I do not like it too much. And also, I need to boot through Windows for that, which is also something I do not like :-(

I would rather have liked the iPhone exporting itself as a storage device to the OS. After all, it has 16GB worth of storage.

There still are certain things that an iPhone can not do which even regular phones do now a days, but the UI of iPhone is something to die for.

How are the apps in 2.0? Can you buy the paid ones using India Credit card? If 2.0 apps are good enough, I will upgrade from 1.1.4 to 2.0.x sometime in a week or so.
Old 27th August 2008, 12:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu da, thats one helluva detailed review. This will definitely help those who are keen on procuring the latest in cell phone gadgetry.

While most of us are awed by the features and the oomph factor the price is what keeps us at bay. Hope it reduces in due course of time.
Old 27th August 2008, 12:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu, you're right - you did get carried away by your iPhone bias:

Mail - I'd rate Win Mobile at 8 stars out of 10 while the iPhone gets 4 or a max 5 (just about makes grade)

GPS - Try the Touch Diamond, you wont find any issue with GPS. I'd give Win Mo a clear 5 stars ahead of the iPhone GPS

Contact Management - Again Win Mo is streets ahead of the iPhone. Try sending a vCard to someone else. Again, you actually have to open the contact on the iPhone to carry out any task, whereas with WinMo the pop-up menu enables you to carry out almost all tasks (except editing the contact) from the main screen itself. Win Mo - 8/10 (they lose two stars for using MMS for vCard, requiring a separate but free application to enable vCard over SMS), iPhone - 6/10

Phone UI - I prefer Win Mo's UI for the phone, especially with the call history which you can filter either for all calls, or by incoming/outgoing/missed etc. The iPhone on the other hand either gives you "All" or "Missed" - for people who receive a lot of calls in a day, scrolling through the list can be a pain. Again, the Win Mo UI supports nicknames, so if I want to call Zak I just punch 9-2-5 on the keypad to get a list of matching names on the same screen, where Zak would be on top. On the iphone, on the other hand, I have to open up contacts and search for Zakkariya Muhammad. PAINFUL. WinMo - 9/10, iPhone - 7/10.

Calendar - Win Mo lets you manage your calendar in a similar manner as your desktop, you can postpone or suggest new times for meetings, add new invitees, and manage everything on your calendar. On the iPhone you can only accept or decline WHEN the invite comes in - there's very little you can do afterwards. This is a deal breaker - iPhone gets 3 out of 10, Win Mo gets 10/10

Tasks - For people like me who use Tasks to manage work (or get managed by your boss) Win Mo is a breeze. I still havent managed to sync tasks with my iPhone, leave alone manage them. Zero Points to the iPhone, 10 to Win Mo.

Touch Interface & Ease of Use - WinMo is actually streets ahead in terms of ease of use, if one were to go by the number of clicks or pages you need to open for each application. The pop up menu enables you to do most tasks from the screen you open, not requiring you to open up a dozen settings to reach where you want to go. For instance - Network Setup on Win Mo is a breeze - the home page prompts you to enter network settings and a click on the link takes you directly to the config page. Else you have the Connection Manager where you manage all your connections - GSM, GPRS/3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, VPN, Internet Sharing - all from one page.

Touch Interface - The iPhone's Touch Interface is ahead of the Touch Diamond, streets ahead of the Touch. However, this doesnt traslate into more utility - you still dont have pop-up menus, cut&paste functionality, drill-down etc.

Overall ease of use - Its a tie. The iPhone gets more points for its pretty and intuitive interface, but Win Mo gets more points for actual usability.

Network Settings - Win Mo helps you set up all your connections from one page as mentioned earlier. It also lets you set up different profiles and APNs for different networks, and automatically selects a network's saved profile based on the SIM inserted. The iPhone prompts you to enter network settings every time a SIM is inserted - EVEN IF it is the from the same operator.

WiFi - Here the iPhone wins hands down - the WiFi is stable and usable, whereas the WinMo WiFi can keep prompting you for passwords every now and then. But then I dont use WiFi much since I'm on 3G all the time, so this is not a deal-breaker for me.

Iphone - 9/10, Win Mo - 5/10

Applications - I kept hearing so much about Apple's 3rd party apps, I was actually looking forward to it. There are a few hundred apps, most of them built around the iPhone's USPs of the accelerometer and stuff, but the BUSINESS/UTILITY apps are pathetic.

The 3rd Party Apps for WinMo runs are in a few thousands. Every sub-category of WinMo apps would outnumber the total number of iPhone Apps, and would actually be more usable. Business/Utility apps on WinMo rock.

iPhone Apps - 4/10 (actually 3 for usability, 1 star for presentation as they are pretty) / Win Mo Apps -8/10.

Camera - Both devices suck at this, but the iPHone's snaps are clearer and less grainy. HTC cams are really horrid. iPhone - 5/10, HTC - 1/10

Stability - My iPhone hasnt crashed so far. This rates a few stars extra. My WinMo phones until the Tytn II used to crash occassionally. Nothing to worry about, but still an irritant.

3G - iPhone - 2/10; Win Mo - 7/10. Enough said - the iPHone's 3G sucks, so why would you want to buy the new 3G iphone anyway?

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th August 2008 at 12:23.
Old 27th August 2008, 12:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
He is getting a 3G iPhone with replacement warranty. Also the 3G iPhone has not been unlocked, yet. Only the Classic iPhone, with the new or old firmware has been unlocked so far. Work is going on, but still...
One more issue in getting a 3G iPhone from abroad, is that now people have to take a 2 year plan along with the phone when they buy from shop. So cant get it as easily as before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Within 30 mts i was sad seeing all the finger print, oil residue and what not all over it. Its a pain to handle if you are particular of keeping it clean and shiny. The HTC's and Nokia covers the usage much better off.
Visit Apple US store, and check when the PowerSupport Crystal Film and PowerSupport Anti-Glare Film are available for iPhone3G.
I prefer the Anti-Glare one. It makes the screen a bit dull, but no fingerprints. It feels like a matte photograph and makes it really wonderful to touch.

Quote:
Delicate darling she is, drop it and you will regret, didnt even come with a case. My previous Touch on the other hand came with a neat cover, well padded, which saved my phone, when it fell from 1 floor of office! Anyday it feels more tough compared to iPhone. Have bought a temp cloth case from "call mate" for now, till i lay my hands on something similar to Touch cover.
Cases are available at the Apple Store. I prefer ones like these, that can be hooked into the belt. eBay has got cheaper alternatives.

Enjoy your iPhone
Old 27th August 2008, 15:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have bought a temp cloth case from "call mate" for now, till i lay my hands on something similar to Touch cover.
I use this as a belt clip (it rocks - you can also use it as a desktop stand!):

Promate Global

and this for a pouch:

Promate Global

Wanna try it?
Old 27th August 2008, 16:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Really nice review, Jaggu!

Do update it from time to time with newer stuff you discover from time to time, and with long-term-use experience.
Old 27th August 2008, 19:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Fabia of the mobiles in India

My cousin got one from Thai or so in exchange for his old communicator and the rest in cash.
Old 27th August 2008, 19:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

News : I have jailbroken iphone 3g
installer and cydia working
Sadly cant use with any other network

but all other hacks now possible
if anyone wants to know how to do it.
Just PM Me.
Old 27th August 2008, 20:40   #29
Team-BHP Support

My comments in line in BOLD, wont get into too much of debate since i know how difficult its to convince someone to move away from Microsoft product, just kidding. But both of us have our bias, is what me thinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Mail - I'd rate Win Mobile at 8 stars out of 10 while the iPhone gets 4 or a max 5 (just about makes grade)

I think it works perfect, IMAP is what i use and works like a charm, apart for attachment issue, i havent faced any probs OR it maybe am not a power user that i didnt miss out on anything while moving from Win mob.

GPS - Try the Touch Diamond, you wont find any issue with GPS. I'd give Win Mo a clear 5 stars ahead of the iPhone GPS

How does battery hold up in Diamond while on GPS? I was not impressed with battery specs, but hey never really bothered with that since i have access to charging

Contact Management -MMS for vCard, requiring a separate but free application to enable vCard over SMS), iPhone - 6/10

I havent sent a single MMS till date, but i do have emailed pics from my mobile atleast 20 times in last 2 months. So it really doesnt make sense, especially half of my recipients might NOT be able to see the MMS on phone (dont have it enabled) in the first place, but sure will see the email on the comp!

Phone UI - I prefer Win Mo's UI for the phone, especially with the call history which you can filter either for all calls, or by incoming/outgoing/missed etc. The iPhone on the other hand either gives you "All" or "Missed" - for people who receive a lot of calls in a day, scrolling through the list can be a pain.

On the contrary it clubs the calls "To" OR "From" same number to one, and when you open that call register, it shows the time sequence. I say its kewl! This is what i want.

Win mob used to give me a very long list for the day, same number repeating. I will have 20, 30 calls from one or 2 numbers and that will clutter my list in win mob

Again, the Win Mo UI supports nicknames, so if I want to call Zak I just punch 9-2-5 on the keypad to get a list of matching names on the same screen, where Zak would be on top. On the iphone, on the other hand, I have to open up contacts and search for Zakkariya Muhammad. PAINFUL.

D9 i have already mentioned, but it lists, when you type the first few letters? Am confused.

egs Jagganathan it lists as soon as i type jag, and i do have multiple Jagganathan in my add book

Calendar - Win Mo lets you manage your calendar in a similar manner as your desktop, you can postpone or suggest new times for meetings, add new invitees, and manage everything on your calendar. On the iPhone you can only accept or decline WHEN the invite comes in - there's very little you can do afterwards. This is a deal breaker - iPhone gets 3 out of 10, Win Mo gets 10/10

True as i said its basic and may not fit heavy users, esp those on the move all the time. For me calendar sync is more essential.

Tasks - For people like me who use Tasks to manage work (or get managed by your boss) Win Mo is a breeze. I still havent managed to sync tasks with my iPhone, leave alone manage them. Zero Points to the iPhone, 10 to Win Mo.

You cant, i use calendar notes as a work around.

Touch Interface & Ease of Use - WinMo is actually streets ahead in terms of ease of use, if one were to go by the number of clicks or pages you need to open for each application. The pop up menu enables you to do most tasks from the screen you open, not requiring you to open up a dozen settings to reach where you want to go. For instance - Network Setup on Win Mo is a breeze - the home page prompts you to enter network settings and a click on the link takes you directly to the config page. Else you have the Connection Manager where you manage all your connections - GSM, GPRS/3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, VPN, Internet Sharing - all from one page.

I dont know but i felt same with iPhone, pretty easy and user friendly, and it allows me to save multiple fixed IP and DNS settings for wifi, which was not possible for win mob. To get into config page one has to sift through even in win mob. Cant agree.

Network Settings - Win Mo helps you set up all your connections from one page as mentioned earlier. It also lets you set up different profiles and APNs for different networks, and automatically selects a network's saved profile based on the SIM inserted. The iPhone prompts you to enter network settings every time a SIM is inserted - EVEN IF it is the from the same operator.

APN yes, but as i said earlier, i had issue with multiple wifi profiles, one was auto ip and dns and the other with a fixed IP and DNS and win mob didnt allow me to set both together??

WiFi - Here the iPhone wins hands down - the WiFi is stable and usable, whereas the WinMo WiFi can keep prompting you for passwords every now and then.

Yes and no, if you have multiple wifi (like i have at home) it can hop between them when signals are on weak side, causing temp issue with pulling mail. But yes wifi is the best the other side of laptop

Enough said - the iPHone's 3G sucks, so why would you want to buy the new 3G iphone anyway?
Aah you are being lil conservative now, you have rated stuff to be better in your review Maybe true NOT at this price, that i will not dispute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I use this as a belt clip (it rocks - you can also use it as a desktop stand!):

Promate Global

and this for a pouch:

Promate Global

Wanna try it?
Love to but i rarely use belt.

I was thinking on these terms:

Apple Store (U.S.) - Sena Ultra Slim Pouch for iPhone thanks to my drop phenomenon

Apple Store (U.S.) - Marware Sport Grip for iPhone 3G (Black) or maybe this
Old 27th August 2008, 20:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Cracking Open the Apple iPhone 3G | TechRepublic Photo Gallery

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks