Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2008, 16:11   #1
BHPian

LG Home Theater System: DVD does not run beyond a certain point

Guru's,

I have LG home theatre system and I have found in couple of DVD's, they do not run beyond a certain point. These points are variable for different DVD's. e.g. A Bridge too far won't run beyond 1:32:40 or Aamir won't run beyond 1:20:23 or Valu won't run beyond 1:40:52. However, all these DVD's run without any problem on player (Pioneer) at DVD Library (shop from where I rent the DVD). Why does this happen? The home theatre system is new ( just over a year old) and we would have seen not more tha 40 movies till date (i.e. not very heavy usage).

I have cleaned the head with help of Philips DVD cleaner. I cleaned the DVD's with the solution available in the market, but they won't run beyond a certain point. If I touch the DVD player at this point, I can feel the DVD running inside, but the picture is like "Computer hanged".

Please note that I do not have problems for most of the other DVD's or VCD's. Only to few that I mentioned above.

What is the issue and the solution for it?

looking forward to your help
Old 8th September 2008, 17:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Did you check playability in another LG DVD player, if it does, some problem with your player like a weak laser etc.

If not, its a dvd compatibility issue with LG players.
Old 8th September 2008, 17:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Did you check playability in another LG DVD player, if it does, some problem with your player like a weak laser etc.

If not, its a dvd compatibility issue with LG players.
Thanks. But I feel compatibility is not an issue for DVD does run for some time and we are able to see the picture. I am not sure how we can measure the strength of the laser, but that may be the issue.

regards
Old 8th September 2008, 18:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Please play the same DVDs on a different player. The discs could be damaged.
Old 22nd September 2008, 00:51   #5
BHPian

It doesnt seem like an issue with the DVD pick up lens. DVD's if scratched/marked can affect playing. Though strange, i feel you can try resetting the player...if you have an option.
Once you load the DVD, go to menu and select from the last chapters of the movie and check if it plays. If so, the disc is scratched. Else you might need a visit to the service center.
Old 22nd September 2008, 03:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Diff players have diff tolerance levels wrt scartches, disc quality, burn quality etc.

Sometimes, these rentals give pirated discs or original discs with a lot of scratches which certain players find, diff to handle. Which is why it plays to a certain point and gets stuck.

Make sure your dvds are of good quality and dont pick up discs that have been sctrahed even if its an original copy.

Shan2nu
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Probably a circular scratch running parallel (?) to the data track. Unlike perpendicular scratches, these circular scratches give error correction mechanisms a real run for their money. Try another DVD of the same movie from elsewhere.
Old 22nd September 2008, 16:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thats why I am a huge Pioneer advocate.

If you have a dvd burner why don't you rip the problem dvd's and burn to fresh discs.

Sound like a media problem rather than a hardware problem.
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:33   #9
BHPian

Not sure whether its because of the scratched DVDs but my Philips player had this problem too. I ignored it assuming its scratched DVDs. Later on I upgraded my DVD collections to originals only and some of them were bought from the US.

One fine day the DVD started giving the same problem but more severely. At times after cleaning with a lens cleaner - it works for 10 minutes before it hangs and goes kaput. The MP3 CDs still play properly. I was told by the technician that the lens had to be replaced. The cost of the lens ranges from 500 to 1000 bucks. If i go through Philips authorized service centre the lens cost is 1100 + 350 for servicing. The regular repair guys can do it for less than 800. I am still contemplating what to do.
Old 23rd September 2008, 14:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Always buy genuine spares, but nowadays new DVD players are available quite cheap, that too branded ones like philips.

So check the difference before you go for repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Not sure whether its because of the scratched DVDs but my Philips player had this problem too. I ignored it assuming its scratched DVDs. Later on I upgraded my DVD collections to originals only and some of them were bought from the US.

One fine day the DVD started giving the same problem but more severely. At times after cleaning with a lens cleaner - it works for 10 minutes before it hangs and goes kaput. The MP3 CDs still play properly. I was told by the technician that the lens had to be replaced. The cost of the lens ranges from 500 to 1000 bucks. If i go through Philips authorized service centre the lens cost is 1100 + 350 for servicing. The regular repair guys can do it for less than 800. I am still contemplating what to do.
Old 23rd September 2008, 15:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Always buy genuine spares, but nowadays new DVD players are available quite cheap, that too branded ones like philips.

So check the difference before you go for repairs.
Just go for a decent brand in the first place. Philips dvd players are not reknown for durability.
Old 24th September 2008, 09:47   #12
BHPian

The issue is that even though 1500 for repairs seem costly - I actually have a low end Philips home theatre system with 5.1 speakers. These speakers are working just fine and i would need an amplified dvd player and will have to modify the speaker's connectors (philips has propritory connectors), if i plan to go in for a new one.

To save myself that hassle, repairs is the easy way out.

Most Viewed