Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2008, 17:28   #1
BHPian

Split A/C Installation

Folks,
I was discussing the various option for remodeling my newly bought second hand flat. I was in for a rude shock when it came to A/C and to be frank was also happy (I am thinking he is honest)

Here is the situation, if I install a Split A/C in my Bedroom the compressor unit has to rest on a sunshade of the bottom flat. So technically, the Airthrow unit of the Split A/C is around 6 feet above the Compressor unit.

My Interior man says this is not good but no one tells customers this as Split is costlier and they get better Margin. He says the compressor unit should either be at same level or above the air-throw unit else it takes more energy for compressor to pump the cold air up which will result in problems and the unit faster in future. So he says for my situation Window is the best option.

Is this true?

Pls advise, need to decide this urgently!
Old 12th September 2008, 17:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Lol. This is the first time I'm hearing this. Its not like the aircon is pumping mercury. Its a very light gas. The height should make no difference whatsoever. Your only concern should be that the pipes between the indoor and outdoor unit shouldnt be too long, and adequately insulated to avoid the gas from getting heated due to surrounding conditions.

Forgot to add: You should ask the a/c fellow, "But because of the 6 feet difference, wont it also be easier for the gas in the evaporator to fall into the compressor again?".

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 12th September 2008 at 17:39.
Old 12th September 2008, 17:44   #3
BHPian

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Lol. This is the first time I'm hearing this. Its not like the aircon is pumping mercury. Its a very light gas. The height should make no difference whatsoever. Your only concern should be that the pipes between the indoor and outdoor unit shouldnt be too long, and adequately insulated to avoid the gas from getting heated due to surrounding conditions.
Very true.R22 gas is very light and it dsnt matter where you place the condensing unit.For example:If you stay on the 4th floor, You can put your split in the Bedroom and your condensing unit on the ground floor also.The only difference will be the amount of gas charge.You can place your condensing unit on the window grill comfortably.It is advisable to go for a split unit,Coz it will be enegy effecient and it will go with the interiors.Going for a window unit will be like choosing a daewoo cielo over a honda city.
Old 12th September 2008, 17:44   #4
BHPian

Exactly B&T this is what I also told him, but he says technically we are not advised to install it at lower place than blower as it has to work extra to bring the cold air in...
Old 12th September 2008, 18:15   #5
BANNED

Why not place the compressor unit above your window shade? and the blower unit close to the ceiling?
Old 12th September 2008, 18:19   #6
BHPian

Since its in 7th floor it easy to open the window grill and place it. Its very difficult to place above.
Old 12th September 2008, 18:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

mmm..the longer the pipe, the more the chances for corrossion?? you ca get two L supports made from 1/4" angle iron, bolt it to your wall and fix the compressor unit. Should be not that tough really. But again, iron, corrosion etc.
Old 12th September 2008, 21:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
mmm..the longer the pipe, the more the chances for corrossion?? you ca get two L supports made from 1/4" angle iron, bolt it to your wall and fix the compressor unit. Should be not that tough really. But again, iron, corrosion etc.

AFAIK, split aircon installation uses copper pipes..
Old 14th September 2008, 11:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
AFAIK, split aircon installation uses copper pipes..

I think he was referring to the iron L angles .
Old 14th September 2008, 20:21   #10
BHPian

I get the copper pipes etc, but the question is, is it bad in the longer run to install the outdoor unit at a lower level than the blower unit? If the damage is negligible then i dont mind doing it.
Old 14th September 2008, 22:47   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
But again, iron, corrosion etc.
You can always use stainless steel!!! SHould cost only a couple of hundreds extra.
Old 14th September 2008, 23:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Folks,
I was discussing the various option for remodeling my newly bought second hand flat. I was in for a rude shock when it came to A/C and to be frank was also happy (I am thinking he is honest)

Here is the situation, if I install a Split A/C in my Bedroom the compressor unit has to rest on a sunshade of the bottom flat. So technically, the Airthrow unit of the Split A/C is around 6 feet above the Compressor unit.

My Interior man says this is not good but no one tells customers this as Split is costlier and they get better Margin. He says the compressor unit should either be at same level or above the air-throw unit else it takes more energy for compressor to pump the cold air up which will result in problems and the unit faster in future. So he says for my situation Window is the best option.

Is this true?

Pls advise, need to decide this urgently!
Technically it is best to have the outdoor unit as close to the indoor as possible. This will reduce the load on the pump as well losses in transmission – having said this is not practically possible. Typical specification of a 1.5ton unit can have the outdoor unit to a maximum distance of 15m – I mean the length; the gas travels in both directions, so the height difference is not a big issue at all. I have a/c of my 7th floor room and 8th floor room, the outdoor units of both are on the top of 8th floor terrace and it works. If you still have doubts, you can look at option of mounting the outdoor unit using clamps on the wall at the same or lesser height difference instead of keeping the unit on the lower window shade. You get these clamps for about 400-500 bucks – ask your installation folks.
Old 14th September 2008, 23:23   #13
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I thought it will be usefull to share some HVAC knowledge as well.Technically it will not be a problem for the current layout.But considering insulation losses it it better to install the unit near your window with L-clamps and run your copper piping with proper tube insulation to the wall unit.
The compressor does not push cold air but low Temp& low pressure liquid to the cooling coil where it is throttled to expand. The expansion caused the temperature to further drop and in the process takes away the heat circulation over the coil.

The expanded vapors in semi liquid/gas form leave the coil at high temperature and high pressure to get filtered and back into the condenser to cool it down to low temperature and pressure to be compressed again as liquid thus completing the cycle.
The longer the line you will need good insulation and additional gas to get the requisite pressure in the line to compensate the delta volume.
Thus if the unit is near the cooling coil there will be better efficiencies of the compressor and a sure energy saving.
regards,
mike
Old 15th September 2008, 00:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
I think he was referring to the iron L angles .
Normally L bends are not required while working with copper piping... The pipes bend fairly easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
I get the copper pipes etc, but the question is, is it bad in the longer run to install the outdoor unit at a lower level than the blower unit? If the damage is negligible then i dont mind doing it.
We have four 1.5 tonner split aircons which are working with the outdoor unit approximately 5 feet below the indoor unit. The oldest one is 4 years old. No problems yet.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 15th September 2008 at 00:11.
Old 21st September 2008, 19:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

When I was in Barcelona last year I noticed that people had 3 to 4 split units in each little apartment with the lowest outside unit level close to the floor and this was common across Barca.

I doubt it is a problem, the chap is probably just propogating an old wives tale he has heard.

Most Viewed