Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2008, 03:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Podcast help

Does anyone know how to split the chapters on an enhanced podcast to individual mp3 tracks.
I have a lot of podcasts that are over an hour long and i find it a pain to navigate through various tracks when i convert to mp3 for the car.

The only way that i know of to split the tracks is to burn an audo cd for each podcast; the drawbacks of which are
  • It is time consuming
  • I waste a lot of cds ( I use 1 cd per pocast and i have over 200 podcasts)
  • The track info doest not show up, I only get the split tracks with the main podcast name attached to each and every chapter
Can somebody please help me with this? I have been trying to figure out something from a long time now to no avail.
How do i create .cue files ?

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 22nd September 2008 at 03:43.
Old 22nd September 2008, 04:11   #2
Team-BHP Support

enhanced.

A simple option would be to convert the (enhanced) m4b file to mp3 using a converter (there are shareware converters available).
You'll lose the pictures, obviously but m4bs aren't really a very convenient portable format - not all devices support it.

On the other hand, the regular mp3 podcast does get downloaded alongwith the enhanced podcast - atleast in most cases, right?

Then use a mp3 splitter to split your large mp3s into smaller files.

Sofonesia has a good freeware mp3 joiner-cum-splitter.
Unfortunately, this one doesn't work in Vista but works just fine in XP.

TO create cue files, you can use Notepad. I've never created one so don't ask me what to fill in but your CD image burner shouldn't really need one other than the bin file.

ps. to conserve CDs, use a rewriteable CD.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd September 2008 at 04:16. Reason: Forgot q.
Old 22nd September 2008, 09:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

I listen to podcasts on itiunes which i can use to convert to mp3. The problem is when i convert i have 1 single hour long track instead of smaller chapters in mp3. I dont mind losing the pictures as long as i get the chapters split up. Splitting using an mp3 editor is not an option. I really cannot sit and edit over 200 podcast. Each rewritable cd will take about 10-15 minutes to burn and the again i have to import it, which again is not a very good option.
I need something more like a download software, add podcasts, click on convert type of a solution.

I am asking about .cue files because there is a software called cue splitter which splits a whole album (which is joined and is just one large mp3) into its tracks, complete with all the id3 tags.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 22nd September 2008 at 09:26.
Old 24th September 2008, 04:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

?

Do you mean to say that your podcasts are combined into one large file when you convert a bunch of them into mp3s?

I may have misunderstood so -> Do you listen to the podcasts within itunes or do you subscribe to the ones you like ? - Subscribing downloads each individual podcast to your computer, which'll be easier to convert.

What converter are you using? Maybe that has an option selected that combines your podcasts into a larger mp3 file.

I use ZENcast Organizer for podcasts (or zencasts as Creative prefers to call them), which downloads the regular mp3 file in addition to the enhanced (m4b) file. This way, I can just get rid of the enhanced files and keep the mp3 files.
Old 24th September 2008, 11:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

The enhanced m4b files have chapters just like audio books. Say if a podcast is an hour long it usually has about 15-20 different tracks (chapters) in it. I can change tracks by clicking on the chapters menu in itunes.

AFAIK itunes only downloads m4b files and no mp3 file along with it.

I burn cds in itunes by creating a new playlist with the 1 podcast (only) and burning an audio cd. The audio cd has all the chapters as seperate tracks. If the podcast name is XYZ, all the tracks (chapters) in the audio cd are named XYZ as against the individual chapter name that is present in the m4b file.

What i need is the m4b file to be split into mp3 files with the chapter names present as the names of each individual mp3.
Hope this clears things.

Edit: I use itunes itself to convert to mp3 as of now but it does not give seperate mp3s for each chapter. It is just an hour long mp3 version of the m4b podcast with no option to change chapters.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 24th September 2008 at 11:12.
Old 26th September 2008, 03:08   #6
Team-BHP Support

got it

Yes, it's clear now!

Unfortunately for you, I think as of now there isn't any easy way out other than download a software which gets the regular mp3s in addition to the enhanced files.

Try this website: http://split-large-m4b.qarchive.org/. They have some freeware splitters, but again it's probably going to be manual labour!
Old 26th September 2008, 05:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Do you use a Mac? If yes, follow this link to download a shareware called SplitFuse. It splits movies into short clips and vice-versa.
SplitFuse 2.0 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker
If you use windows I am sorry I have no clue.

Most Viewed