Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2008, 11:23   #1
BHPian

Help in solving a weird laptop problem

Hello Team-bhpians,

I have a weird problem with my Dell Inspiron 1100.

Whenever I start typing the dot key (............) goes on typing dots on its own.
I am not able to control the Keypad. I have started using a USB keyboard, but still the problem persists.

I have taken the laptop to a hardware guy. Their solution a new keyboard costing INR 2000 which i don't want to spend on a 4.5 years old laptop,as I have to buy a new one in the next two months..

Any suggestions...
Old 5th October 2008, 11:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolg View Post
Whenever I start typing the dot key (............) goes on typing dots on its own.
I am not able to control the Keypad. I have started using a USB keyboard, but still the problem persists.
Does the problem occur only while using the laptop's inbuit keyboard or does it also occur when you use the external USB keyboard?

If it occurs in both the inbuilt as well as the external USB keyboard then it is a software glitch and not hardware related.
Old 5th October 2008, 16:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

Wolg,

Try reinstalling the keyboard drivers.

- Go to DEVICE MANAGER
- Under KEYBOARDS delete/uninstall all the entries
- Restart your computer and windows XP (?) should automatically detect and re-install the drivers.

If that still doesnt work let us know.

cya
R
Old 5th October 2008, 18:08   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

My usual fix for sticking keys is to pick up the keyboard and drop it an inch or two back onto the desk.

But I would not do that to a laptop!
Old 5th October 2008, 21:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its pretty simple. Some times there is little damage to internals of Keyboard. Take it any well know professional. He will open and work on the " Circuit of keyboard ".

Sometimes the connection does get lose or some sort of problem occurs. They can solve this.

But if they are not able to solve this, get yourself a USB keyboard. This happened in my sister's laptop and despite all my efforts I was not able to repair the keyboard. So bought a new USB keyboard.

NOTE : Dont take it to just any computer professional. Take it to some who has knowledge and has practically solved the problem/problems earlier.
I dont know if its called a circuit or not, I just used this word as I dont know the proper word. But I have practically myself worked on this.
Old 5th October 2008, 21:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Seems your keyboard circuit is gone kaput. Consult a notebook professional. If he insists to get the internal keyboard changed, do not invest 2000 Rs. Tell him to disconnect the keyboard from mainboard, it ain't so much big thing. A clip need to be de-attached only. This way you'll be able to use the external keyboard without any problem.

Cheers
Old 5th October 2008, 22:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you dont mind experimenting (the other option being - taking it to a professional / listen to Dell!), try this: Carefully pry the . key off the Keypad - I have done this several times when I spill 'something' on my old Thinkpad / Toshiba. Now try using the . key, see it it works proper.

If it works proper, the spring action is probably conked out - simple fix, DIY. If it still acts up, sorry buddy - experiment failed
Old 6th October 2008, 00:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Will an inspiron 8500 keyboard fit your machine?

I have a spare one lying around.
Old 6th October 2008, 01:03   #9
BHPian

@wolog,

you would have the restore cd's from dell boot from them and go to dos check if you have the same problem in dos if yes then there is a keyboard problem if no then it is windows. "check if you can see the same in safe mode as well (F8 when it boots) this step is if you don't have dos disks"

if its the same in dos then let me know i will try and get some pics for you about how to reset the keyboard
Old 6th October 2008, 06:37   #10
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice.I was not able to log in yesterday as the whole day my "Keyboard" was in Dot Typing Spree.

@ Rehaan- Already done that, does not work
@ Sankar - The problem happens with both keyboards.Any idea about what software glitch it could be. I am a total tech iliterate inspite of being in IT.
@ Thad E Ginathom & ph03n!x - Have banged on the keys, and in fit of love pried out the Dot Key, but still the "Dot Ghost" persists.
@ aaggoswami and ashthedivx - I wil be taking it to a hardware guy and asking him to detach the original keyboard.

I will let you know if that works.

Cheers

Wolg
Old 6th October 2008, 21:39   #11
Team-BHP Support

Wolg,

3 more options:

- Pop off the "." key (pull it up from one edge and the key/cap will just click off)
- Get a can of compressed air ("dust-off" etc) and spray it in there.
- This might dislodge any particle that is either caught between the contacts or pressing the contacts together

- Plug in your USB keyboard
- Go to device manager
- See if a "disable" option exists for your existing keyboard (i feel like only uninstall will be present, in which case it probably wont work since it might try and reinstall the driver immediately? Give it a shot either way)

- Remove/unplug the laptop keyboard!!
- Use USB keyboard instead
- Its fairly simple, dont worry
- Removing keyboard from Dell inspiron 1100? - Yahoo! Answers
- Dell Inspiron 1100 1150 5100 5150 keyboard removal instructions

cya
R
Old 6th October 2008, 22:03   #12
BANNED

Somewhere in control panel (if that is what they still call it), there would be an option to slow down the key "repeat rate".

Looong time since I used Windose...
Old 6th October 2008, 23:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

why dont u try booting into dos and type there to see if its a software issue or a hardware issue.. windows may have gone kaput. try starting in safe mode if possible and then see.
is ur computer emitting constant error beeps while starting up from the bios? that would mean the hardware key is spoilt and stuck.
Old 7th October 2008, 08:52   #14
BHPian

Hi Wolg,
I too have similar problem with my 5 year old HP laptop. It starts typing in the comma characters continuously whenever it boots up (rarely when i'm doing something also). After lot of trials I have found that if I press the Esc key twice, it goes away. Then i cannot type the comma character after that (until i restart). I used to have a file in my desktop with the comma character typed in its name so that i can copy and paste it when im typing something.

Since this worked for me, i never did any further research on this. I'm closely following this thread to see if I can also find a fix for this.
Old 7th October 2008, 21:12   #15
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your advise.

@Rehaan - Thanks, tried all three options .Now the original keyboard has been disconnected and using the Usb keyboard.
@backseatdriver (sorry for misspelling) - thanks, will try maybe in the future
@ frankmehta - yes, the computer beeps while starting up. please can you specify any remedies
@ K a s h - i was fed up so just disconnected the original keyboard and using the USB keyboard now.

Cheers

Wolg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks