Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2008, 16:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
But do these devices have range comparable to Wi Fi ones( or at least as much as B&T wants - which he hasn't specified so far)
Oh yes he has. See?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Same room. Not over 10 ft. No obstacles.
Old 21st October 2008, 16:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some stereo amp like the SI 150 or D 200 + GamuT L5 FS Loudspeaker. Amp subject to being able to find a good wireless pre-amp.

Same room. Not over 10 ft. No obstacles.
Wireless Preamp? Do you mean wireless source? I'm not sure what you mean by a wireless Pre. For your purposes, nothing will really beat a SqueezeBox+DAC. Add that DIP to reduce jitter if you are a purist.

That Chord device looks pretty cheap to me. First of all one can't stream anything other than lossy compressed audio over bluetooth because of bandwidth available. The second problem with that device is that it uses a wall wart and has only analog outputs. Complete writeoff in my opinion.

PS: Awesome equipment :-). I'd definitely want a gamut audition once I'm in mumbai from next month.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 21st October 2008 at 16:53.
Old 21st October 2008, 16:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO it is a good VFM option and the gentleman clearly mention "Stereo" amplifier. If the device has a decent D to A convertor on board, I don't see why he needs more digital outputs.

While the squeezebox has more flexibility and option, I am counting on Chord's audio heritage to make this sound good and assuming that there's a decent DAC onboard.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 21st October 2008 at 16:57.
Old 21st October 2008, 16:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

sam, I think the problem ROC is saying is that no matter how good the DAC's etc are , bluetooth is the weak link. using A2DP, the available bandwidth is about half that of CD audio, so some compression will be involved, and it will end up sounding , as good as a 320kbps mp3. adequate for most folks , but with this level of eqpt, i'm sure better options are there
some help from google bhai !
SoundExpert Blog (official)

Last edited by greenhorn : 21st October 2008 at 16:59.
Old 21st October 2008, 16:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

^^He mentions a GamuT and the equipment he mentioned costs atleast 4-5 lacs. That is one of *the most* neutral equipment out there. Even a cable change would be noticeable let alone a poor source. I know someone who runs a Revel Ultima Studio with a pair of D200 monos and is very happy with the setup. Thats the scale of things here .

Would you really want limit such a system with a poor source? Garbage in, garbage out. If I were the owner, I'd rather get a Transporter than a Squeezebox. However a Squeezebox with a high quality external DAC with its own regulated PSU would probably be enough.
Old 21st October 2008, 17:24   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Amazon.com: Linksys WMB54G Wireless-G Music Bridge: Electronics
30$ and it has optical/coax out as well
I wouldnt expect any of these things to sound good from their analog outs, at least they wont do justice to an integrated amp and floorstanders. A seperate decoder would be the best option

Rehaan has one of these, so you can ask him how it works/ sound quality etc are
Im quite pleased with the sound quality, even from the analog outs.

However, ive had terrible luck with the consistency - the sound keeps breaking, ive been meaning to play with channel settings, frag thresholds and all that stuff i dont really understand on my router to see if i can fix this problem, but havent had the time yet.

B&T PM me if you want to borrow it for a few days (i have 2 and not using either at the moment).

Alternatively -- can you place another computer at your amp location? Maybe a laptop, or a custom made small box sans monitor?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st October 2008 at 17:26.
Old 21st October 2008, 17:42   #22
BHPian

Another option use a IPod with Flac/Wav files as source sitting on a iWadia dock . ( if you want to avoid CD's ) . Now connect this to either the squeezebox or another DAC ( if you want to better DAConversion than the Wadia ).

EDIT: Ipods dont play FLAC

Last edited by sk456 : 21st October 2008 at 17:50.
Old 21st October 2008, 17:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Alternatively -- can you place another computer at your amp location? Maybe a laptop, or a custom made small box sans monitor?

cya
R
that is a good idea, wonder why none of us thought of it

a source along with the eqpt, controlled over remote desktop via Wi Fi , i think that would be better from the audio perspective, since the audio itself doesnt have to jump through any hoops

EDIT: from your description it sounds like the pc will also be playing video. i doubt remote desktop can handle video smoothly(unless you have plans to stream video using VLC or something) , so never mind

Last edited by greenhorn : 21st October 2008 at 18:02.
Old 21st October 2008, 18:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
that is a good idea, wonder why none of us thought of it

a source along with the eqpt, controlled over remote desktop via Wi Fi , i think that would be better from the audio perspective, since the audio itself doesnt have to jump through any hoops

EDIT: from your description it sounds like the pc will also be playing video. i doubt remote desktop can handle video smoothly(unless you have plans to stream video using VLC or something) , so never mind
This is essentially what I do in my setup. I have an EMU 1212M feeding an external DAC thats connected to my preamplifier. The big bonus is that all your audio is in one place, no transmission of audio occurs and you can always RDP into the box from any laptop and select whatever you wish to play.

The downside of this setup is that you need a laptop to control everything. Plus an ugly box beside expensive audio equipment does look kinda out of place.
Old 21st October 2008, 22:47   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
3. DVD Player
4. Media Server (will be a PC or Mac)
5. Stereo Integrated Amplifier
6. Pair of Tower Speakers

The baffling part is sending the audio from the Media Server to the Integrated Amplifier wirelessly. What is the best format to do this?
B&T, you must realise that Wi-Fi is a compressed medium by it's very nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Just launched bluetooth high quality streaming made by Chord. I was assured that there was some new technology that made sure that the audio quality was TOP class.
Sam A2DP is better than regualr Bluetooth but Wi-Fi has inherently greater ability to carry uncompressed audio. Chord's gadget costs upwards of $700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
EDIT: Ipods dont play FLAC
but play ALAC and with Rockbox...:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
For your purposes, nothing will really beat a SqueezeBox+DAC. Add that DIP to reduce jitter if you are a purist..
I thought the Squeezebox3 has a decent DAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
IMO it is a good VFM option and the gentleman clearly mention "Stereo" amplifier..
Compared to Squeezebox3 at $299 the Chordette is not so cheap.

I have essentially the same problem. My audio system is across the room. I dont want to run a long cable to my headphone amp which is at my bed side. currently my compromise is to use my ipod by my bedside which is ok because my headphone amp is not so great (Headroom Micro) but once I get a good amp (tube DIY) this will change.

Last edited by navin : 21st October 2008 at 22:57.
Old 21st October 2008, 22:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

I thought the Squeezebox3 has a decent DAC.
Its alright for lower end setups but will quickly become a bottleneck on a Gamut setup.
Old 22nd October 2008, 02:35   #27
BHPian

Price no bar I would go for the Yamaha RX-Z11, WIFI, lan USB & 1.3 hdmi WITH 1080p upscaling within the AV Amp. (11.1 channels), burr browns DACs, Video upscaler by Faroudja. (comparative) THX & Dolby certified. Multifunction/Multi Room capability.

Else a competing denon model.

cheers
M M

Last edited by mmmjgm : 22nd October 2008 at 02:36.
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:38   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Its alright for lower end setups but will quickly become a bottleneck on a Gamut setup.
Is not the bottleneck the "wireless" part?
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
^^All these methods unfortunately will sound like crap. They'd be okay for a sony or a similar consumer system but will definitely be a huge bottleneck for a mid-fi or hifi setup.
Really? I presume you have tried all of these? I have, and I can say that they are perfectly adequate for streaming compressed audio files - which is what mp3/ogg/wma etc. are.
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Is not the bottleneck the "wireless" part?
According to my understanding, as long as there is sufficient bandwidth, the Choice of data link layer should not make a difference ( whether you are running over LAN or Wi Fi), since the Wi Fi link sees only the frames sent by the Network layer above it, and transmits it as data, and nothing audio specific comes into play.

navin and I had a bit of a discussion via PM, and both of us remain unconvinced. I think he feels that some sort of compression/distortion would be involved when Wi Fi is used , while i think it shouldn't make a difference. Anyone care to clarify ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 22nd October 2008 at 12:40.

Most Viewed