Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Unix File Explorer.. Is there any?

Hello Bhpians,

Recently I was introduced to the dark command line world of a unix solaris server as part of my job. All I have is access to this server through an exceed session, where I get a terminal command prompt window. As a windows user for more than a decade, I found it to be a very primitive way of working to be very frank. I am having a tough time even to do elementary file operations like changing directories, listing files, finding a text withing some files, finding files and folders, opening a file with a program I want etc etc.

So t-bhpians who are workign in Unix, or have an insight into this OS, I have a question for you...

Is there any nice file explorer application available (preferably free) like the windows file explorer in unix solaris? Using which I should be able to perform some basic file operations as metioned above through its User Interface. It is not that I can't learn the commands and start using it, but I really don't want to go back to the command prompt world again like I was doing in 97 or so while learning DOS 6.22...

Thanks In Advance!!

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd October 2008 at 12:33.
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:44   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
....found it to be a very primitive way of working to be very frank. I am having a tough time even to do elementary file operations like changing directories, listing files, finding a text withing some files, finding files and folders, opening a file with a program I want etc etc.

Well, each one to his own, but I can bet that one can do all this and much much more very very quickly in 'nix command prompt and way way faster than any windows explorer/similar tool.

You can do things that you can't even imagine in your wildest dreams though windows explorer type tools.

Cheers,
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Did you try mc?
At command line level I think that is the best. If you were not on command line but xterm then there are many more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Well, each one to his own...
Yep. And after using *nix for years at command line and now mainly at X level i fail to understand why people stick with microsucks. but then as you said each to his own.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd October 2008 at 13:00. Reason: See note in post
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:58   #4
BHPian

you could:

1. export the Unix directories and map them on your windows PC. they will appear as X:, Y: or whatever you choose on your windows explorer. make sure permissions are set or you may not be able to edit anything.
2. run a tightvnc server on the Unix machine and log into the unix box using a tightvnc viewer. This will open an X session, where you can choose any graphical file explorer. Solaris inbuilt one, or Omega or Xplore or something.
Old 23rd October 2008, 13:22   #5
BHPian

I totally agree with khan_sultan. Having been with Unix / Linux for a very long time, it amuses me when people look to using GUIs for O.S level operations. It is so comfortable to use the command line once you get the feel of it. Would say even vi is a far better editor than any GUI based text editors for professional scripting work.
Old 23rd October 2008, 13:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

If you have excess to just a terminal, midnight commander or MC as its called is your best bet.
If you have GUI, then Konqueror(KDE) is a good one.
I use Konqueror on both my home and office Linux machines, but when I used to have a text terminal in college mc was the file explorer of choice
Old 23rd October 2008, 13:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Well, each one to his own, but I can bet that one can do all this and much much more very very quickly in 'nix command prompt and way way faster than any windows explorer/similar tool.
You can do things that you can't even imagine in your wildest dreams though windows explorer type tools.
Cheers,
I have to agree... It is powerful. But I am so much used to the WYSIWYG experience which is not there in those command lines. I studied and used DOS quite extensively during those times when Win3.1 was considered a luxury. So I am ery much comfortable to command line as such but at present not that much comfortable with unix commands.

Tell me something, as far as basic file operations are concerned, is there anything which you cannot do on a windows explorer but can be done with a unix command / several commands piped? This question should not sound to you like a challenge, I am just curious to hear one example, thats it.

And, No popular UI file explorer in Unix? Mapping drives to windows won't work because I have to work inside the unix environment itself.. I am dreaming about the luxury of having the ability to right click on a file and select "Open with SunStudio" in unix.

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd October 2008 at 13:53.
Old 23rd October 2008, 13:54   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Tell me something, as far as basic file operations are concerned, is there anything which you cannot do on a windows explorer but can be done with a unix command / several commands piped? This question should not sound to you like a challenge, I am just curious to hear one example, thats it.

kill

(20 characters)

EDIT: ok ok you meant file operations.
awk it is then
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:03   #9
Team-BHP Support

with sed and awk etc., you can do many things with files, and process hundreds of files in one go.
For example if you want a one like command to delete all files made before 20th sept 2008 but after 18 April 2006, its just a one line unix job.
Many other complex things possible,
Just look up sed, awk grep.
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Phew... at last I found something!! A file manager in Exceed XDMCP!! Wow it looks like Windows 3.1 UI at least! I can do all file operations in that!!
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to post one more reply after another, but I could not edit the previous one.

I found that Java Desktop Environment for solaris fulfils my needs over an exceed session. It is much like windows UI. This is cool, I get the power of all the unix commands operated from the UI, for all the fille operations
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Interesting that you find JDE cool. I switched to Windowmaker as I found JDE very heavy on my machine. Well, being used to find, ls and grep since I started working, I have never found the need for an explorer.
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:03   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Every time I make a new folder in XP I wish I was at a Unix command line --- but of course it is just not worth opening a command window to use clumsy DOS tools.

No need to use sed, awk, perl, etc, unless the command you are executing is dependent on the content of the file, or has to be performed on all, or selected lines. Shell scripts (select your favourite shell) are hugely more powerful and vastly easier to write than DOS BAT files. I can imagine there is some culture shock, and I might, after five years away, feel a little adjustment tension, but it is really, really worth while finding out about the basic commands, the not-so-basic utilities, how to use pipes and redirects, etc.

You might soon understand why the first non-unix PC I sat in front of left me saying, "But... It doesn't do anything useful!"

pwd --- print working directory
ls --- list directory contents
ls -l --- list most-used columns of directory
md --- make directory
cd --- change directory
rmdir --- remove directory
rm --- remove file
>filename --- redirect output of command to filename
>>filename --- apend output of command to filename
>filename --- redirect error messages of command to filename
| --- take output of previous command and use a input for next command

Oh... and so much more!

There used to be a Unix (couldn't say which platforms) version of the old DOS utility X-Tree. Quite useful for a visual overview from the command line.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd October 2008 at 17:05.
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Every time I make a new folder in XP I wish I was at a Unix command line --- but of course it is just not worth opening a command window to use clumsy DOS tools.
Thats where cygwin comes in. Gives almost complete GNU toolset on Windows
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:26   #15
BANNED

lfm - Last File Manager
ytree
mc (midnight commander).

Emacs, the all-in one thingie (most people use it for text editing only -- too bad -- I use it mostly as a mp3 player and chat client) has a file manager extension.

Since Emacs has it, VI, the vile text editor (ugh oh - I am an emacs fan) too may have it.

You can install gpm if you have admin priveleges and want to use the mouse (that is, if mouse is not available).

All the programs above are available as source code, so you can compile them yourselves. Of course, there will be plenty others.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks