Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 15:48   #91
BHPian

Need help on Ubuntu Linux

Hey guys,
I'm a Linux noob and i have 2 issues that need to be resolved.

1> Installing my Netgear WG311V3 Wi Fi PCI card
2> Getting it to detect my Phone as a mass storage device when i connect it via USB.

1> For the Wi Fi card
lspci shows that the hardware is present & functioning properly.
after installing the driver using ndiswrapper, it shows that Hardware & Drivers are installed properly, but the card still doesn't work.

2> For the Phone
lsusb shows that the phone [E71] is connected in Mass Storage mode, but does not show up as a mountable drive anywhere. I can connect to my phone via Bluetooth though.
Old 12th March 2010, 16:52   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
lsusb shows that the phone [E71] is connected in Mass Storage mode, but does not show up as a mountable drive anywhere. I can connect to my phone via Bluetooth though.
Look at output of dmesg. It ought to be mountable as /dev/sdX, where X could be a, b, c, d, etc., depending on the number of sata disks you have.

The nokia E series is not very linux friendly - see Nokia - Gammu Phone Database ; and somebody was sobbing about this on ilug Delhi mailing list.

edit - you should not require ndiswapper for wireless anymore. Look at output of "sudo lspci -v -v -n" to find out kernel drivers in use. Which distro is this? and what is the kernel version? ("uname -r")

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 12th March 2010 at 16:56.
Old 13th March 2010, 03:26   #93
BHPian

Thanx for the reply..
I got Ubuntu 9.10.
I think I'm running the x64 version though...
got a core2Duo Procc
Old 13th March 2010, 19:04   #94
BHPian

News : Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx LTS is gonna be released soon.
Old 15th March 2010, 22:06   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
I think I'm running the x64 version though...
got a core2Duo Procc

You may not be running the x64 (AMD 64) architecture simply because you have a core2duo processor. YOu would have downloaded the x86_64 CD rom.

The right way would to be issue the "uname -a" command and look in the output.

Regarding the wireless card see this link - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...tgear_WG311_v3

I think it is a bit dated, but serves as a good starting point.
Old 10th November 2010, 22:28   #96
BHPian

Guys, what do you think about Ubuntu going with Unity from 11.04? I tried Unity for couple of days, but didn't like it. It is more suitable to a tablet like device but not for a desktop.
Old 11th November 2010, 16:32   #97
BHPian

(1) Unity would be modified to suit non-netbook usage. There would also be massive integration with compiz. So it should look very different when it comes out.
(2) The alternative is Gnome shell (part of gnome 3). I don't like Gnome shell at all, at least whatever I have seen. It seems, neither does Mark Shuttleworth.

Lets just wait and watch how it turns out. Canonical also announced plans to get away from Xorg, and use wayland (not in 11.04, but later).
Old 13th May 2012, 07:39   #98
BHPian

re: The Ubuntu Linux Thread

Took the plunge and upgraded my 10.04 LTS to 12.04. This Unity thing was holding me from upgrade last year with all those negative comments. At the moment, I am lost actually - where are the menus and stuff! May be I'll get used to it after a while.
Some Observations:
1. Laptop is running cooler - they seemed to patch a power management issue was hogging for long time.
2. Upgrade was smooth and all programs seem to be intact. Usually I had to spend atleast a day to fix all the issues after an upgrade - searching the net for issues and finding solutions.
3. Not all applications are Unity compatible, leaving a mixed bag. Therefore the windowing experience is confusing and inconsistent. e.g. Firefox and chrome.
4. I expected to get new versions of applications with 12.04, but did not. e.g. Gimp is still 2.6.
5. Meanwhile, while typing this post, I closed the browser at least three times, while trying to open the menu from top left corner. Thanks to Chrome, I got the windows back, along with the unsaved T-bhp post!
Old 13th May 2012, 09:39   #99
Senior - BHPian

IMO, Gnome-Shell is better than Unity. Then, there is another option called "Cinnamon" which is a fork of Gnome3.
It can be installed by adding PPAs.
Install the latest and greatest Cinnamon desktop on Ubuntu 12.04
Old 13th May 2012, 10:10   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
IMO, Gnome-Shell is better than Unity. Then, there is another option called "Cinnamon" which is a fork of Gnome3.
It can be installed by adding PPAs.
Install the latest and greatest Cinnamon desktop on Ubuntu 12.04
Thanks. I knew there are alternatives to Unitiy, but thought I would stick with it for some time, just to feel of it and see if it is productive indeed as they claim.
Old 13th May 2012, 10:47   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Thanks. I knew there are alternatives to Unitiy, but thought I would stick with it for some time, just to feel of it and see if it is productive indeed as they claim.
I've got used to it. I didn't like it when it was launched first and switched to Gnome immediately. But I must say that the treatment they have given to Unity in 12.04 is pretty good. Keyboard shortcuts are good and navigation is easy.
Old 13th May 2012, 14:15   #102
Senior - BHPian

I had resisted upgrading my distro for the same reason as mentioned by others here - Unity and all the negative comments around it floating on the Internet. However, I finally took the plunge when 12.04 LTS was released. I didn't upgrade it from 10.04 but installed it all over again. It took hardly 15 mins from the pen drive!

Guess what, contrary to the popular thinking, I seem to have a developed a liking for Unity and the HUD. I find it very easy to navigate and keyboard shortcuts are just addictive. I don't need the mouse anymore for normal desktop navigation or app navigation. And the the search feature is well integrated in dash too (it works for all the newly installed apps too) - one of the features I sorely missed in Ubuntu compared to Win7.

Another major improvement in 12.04 over 10.04 is the power management. The battery backup is much better now and the laptop doesn't get very hot either. It was a very annoying drawback of the 10.04 IMO.

Last edited by safari_lover : 13th May 2012 at 14:16.
Old 20th May 2012, 21:58   #103
BHPian

Re: The Ubuntu Linux Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
At the moment, I am lost actually - where are the menus and stuff! May be I'll get used to it after a while...

...Meanwhile, while typing this post, I closed the browser at least three times, while trying to open the menu from top left corner. Thanks to Chrome, I got the windows back, along with the unsaved T-bhp post!...
I suggest you install Gnome 3. It is another window manager, and works flawlessly. You can do so by typing "sudo apt-get install gnome-shell" at the terminal. Also, the following packages might be of help.

"sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool"
"sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools"

If you run into any issues, I'd be glad to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I've got used to it. I didn't like it when it was launched first and switched to Gnome immediately. But I must say that the treatment they have given to Unity in 12.04 is pretty good. Keyboard shortcuts are good and navigation is easy.
I hardly used Unity for 10 minutes after upgrading to 12.04 (having switched to Gnome immediately), but I noticed that they have included a HUGE fix! No longer does the unity icon bar come onto the screen when you hover your mouse pointer over the left edge of the screen, (eg. trying to click the back button in Firefox). This is definitely a step forward.
Old 13th February 2013, 03:10   #104
Senior - BHPian

I need to have a notification in the top bar with the amount of traffic that i am currently using (kbps/tot) how do i do that? what do i install? I am new to linux and have been using this for a week now. I have been searching and not able to find an answer.

This is on 12.04 running unity.
Old 13th February 2013, 03:19   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I need to have a notification in the top bar with the amount of traffic that i am currently using (kbps/tot) how do i do that? what do i install? I am new to linux and have been using this for a week now. I have been searching and not able to find an answer.

This is on 12.04 running unity.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/e...0-with-syspeek

Check out some more options in the comments of this article too.

Most Viewed