Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2008, 09:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Calling all MS Word experts - Help Required !!

Hi Friends !!

I need to make SOPs (Standard Operating Procedure) for various processes in my organization. The format of SOP should be something similar to a Job card we get @ Service stations.

Requirements
1. Headers and footers giving all the details of the documents (No, Rev No, date etc with Company's logo)
2. Need to interlink a few elements in the headers of different pages so that when i change one value(eg. date), the other value related to it should change automatically.
3. Headers and footers should be password protected.
4. The center portion of the doc should have a couple of headings (like objective/scope etc) which should be freezed and should automatically come on each page so that only the data is to be entered according to different processes.
5. Are all the above things possible in Word ?
If not then please suggest some alternate softwares

Any kind of links where i can learn to make the required template or even download a similar template would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 1st November 2008, 09:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

You are speaking PDF form, while most SOPs in Word are lax - they don't have section specific controls.

What's wrong in some things being editable - those things like org name/logo/rev date are easy to check. Its always the content that goes iffy

Don't overcomplicate it - a saada DOC works just fine. Else you can confound junta no end. Unless you propose a web form to update and generate SOPs in PDF format
Old 1st November 2008, 11:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Requirements
1. Headers and footers giving all the details of the documents (No, Rev No, date etc with Company's logo)
2. Need to interlink a few elements in the headers of different pages so that when i change one value(eg. date), the other value related to it should change automatically.
4. The center portion of the doc should have a couple of headings (like objective/scope etc) which should be freezed and should automatically come on each page so that only the data is to be entered according to different processes.
. Are all the above things possible in Word ?
Like I said the Excel is the best to work with this kind of stuff. It can update values from different files also..
Old 1st November 2008, 11:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

I ain't the expert one, but will try to sort out with some small solutions available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Requirements
Simple Header setting will do the job
Try using "Fields" in Header and footers, though you might need to declare them first before entering. You can find "Fields" in MSO-07 when header is being inserted under Quick Parts.
Don't think it is possible, though you can restrict changes by protecting whole document with a password but not Header and footers specifically.

No idea !!
5. Are all the above things possible in Word ?
If not then please suggest some alternate softwares
Why not try MSO-Powerpoint, we usually create our slides in PowerPoint only. It might not be very much feature rich but still compensates our presentations and reports very well.
Old 1st November 2008, 12:37   #5
WDB
BHPian

I think it is possible in word, however you will need to use Form’s option in the Word. Select from the main menu>view>toolbars>form. This will add a small floating toolbar. Now format the page as you would normally draft a doc in the word and also as you would like the user to see. Place appropriate fields from the ‘Forms’ toolbar at specific places wherein you would like to the user to entry the data.

The first three fields on the form toolbars are

Text field – user can enter any data
Check Box – user can either say yes or no
Drop down box – user can select from predefined options

Using the above three field I think you will be able to address your entire requirement.

For the things that you need to appear on all page, put those things in the header or footer.

Lastly on the forms toolbar there is a lock button, you need to apply that for your forms to work. This will also make the other text in the doc including your header / footer non-editable. For added security you can always password protect the doc.

Look at the attached file. Something like this or have I gone on a tangent.

Trust the above helps.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Eg.doc (30.0 KB, 546 views)
Old 1st November 2008, 13:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ashish

The current set of SOPs are in powerpoint and i have been given the job of converting them into word format. :(

Anyways for your inputs regarding MS word.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks