Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 14:48   #31
Team-BHP Support

I'm a sucker for software that does NOT require installation.

Networx is one such software for Network monitoring :
- Shows the network speed (graph in taskbar + pop-out graph w/ opacity & always on top option)
- Shows data usage (configurable for nights / weekends free etc etc)
- Ping feature
- Traceroute feature
- Netstats
- etc

Name:  scr_menu.gif
Views: 422
Size:  4.5 KB

Bandwidth monitor, bandwidth speed test, bandwidth and traffic monitoring tool for Windows

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th November 2009 at 14:50.
Old 4th April 2010, 02:07   #32
BHPian

What licenced software do BHPians have on their PCs?

For the last three or four days I had been busy reinstalling Windows XP Professional on my ageing desktop and today I almost completed installing all the software, both licenced and freeware. At this point won't it be interesting if other BHPians post what licenced software they use on their PCs? This may help others pick what may be of interest to them.

Here is a list of what licenced software I had bought so far. Some of them I have already discarded and have indicated the reasons for rejection. Upgrades are indicated by >.

1. D.U. Meter: DU Meter Home Page This utility is still ticking in one corner of my screen indicating internet activity.

2. DFX for Media Players - DFX6>DFX7>DFX8>DFX9: MP3 Accessories, iPod Accessories, Audio Enhancers, and Sound Enhancement Accessory Products - FXsound.com

3. Ozone MP -Analog modeled audio enhancer for Media players: iZotope, Inc - Audio Processing Technology and Plug-Ins for Pro Tools, VST, MAS, Audio Unit, and DirectX

4. Goldwave Digital Audio Editor: GoldWave - Audio Editor, Recorder, Converter, Restoration, & Analysis Software
My favorite program that helped convert all my cassettes to pro-quality audio CDs. Lifetime free upgrades unlike many other programs.

5. DivXPlus - Dr.Divx>DivXPro for Windows>DivXPlus: DivX Plus Software ? Play and convert DivX, AVI & MKV video | DivX.com

6.Registry Mechanic: Registry Mechanic by PC Tools - Free Registry Cleaners for Windows
A widely acclaimed Registry cleaner. Requires annual subscription. Discarded since equally good freeware registry cleaners are available now.

7.Spyware Doctor: Spyware Doctor - Free Spyware Removal, Free Anti Spyware Discarded for the same reasons as above. Without notice they changed the terms and conditions for both the above software and started renewing automatically every year using credit card details available with them. I blew my top and chided them. The very next year my credit card expired and that was the end of their free run. Business without scruples.

8.Nero8 - Nero 6> Nero 7>Nero 8: Nero - Nero software products and solutions Not yet upgraded to 9. Waiting for a good discount offer.

9.Power DVD 7 Deluxe - Power DVD 6(OEM)>7Deluxe upgrade CyberLink ? PowerDVD sales - Media Suite 8 Multimedia Software Still using it with Windows XP; Stopped further upgrades since Windows 7 natively supports DVD playback.

10.Acronics True Image v11- v10>v11:
Backup and restore system software and PC system utilities for Windows and Linux OSs Was my favourite backup program for many years. Fell out of favour since there were many complaints that it modifies the MBR in many ways making it difficult to reverse even by geeks and thus making it difficult to try other backup programs.

11.ShadowProtect Desktop Edition 3.1 - Backup and restore system software and PC system utilities for Windows and Linux OSs A costly backup program.Can carry machine independent restore. Has a very stringent activation policy because of which I lost the licence. (Every time one reformats the HDD, one is required to deactivate and then reactivate on the reformatted HDD and the number reactivations permitted are very few. It then decides that one is installing on a new machine and refuses to activate. While installing Vista I reformatted many times without following the above procedure- I was ignorant -and lost the licence. But I still use the ShadowProtect Windows Vista PE based bootable recovery CD with which I backup my XP and Windows 7 machine. Works like a charm.

12.Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2010 Suite: Paragon Software for Home - partition manager, backup&recovery, hard disk manager for PC My recent acquisition out of curiosity to try other backup software. Also supplies a Windows Vista PE based recovery disk. While it works like a charm with my Windows 7 Machine, it gives out error messages while backing up the XP machine. Here Shadow protect excels since it works without any flaw on XP or Windows 7.

13.Snagit 8 and Snag it 9: Screen Capture | Snagit | Screen capture software by TechSmith A very good screen capture utility

14. DVD Fab: DVD Copy Software from DVDFab | Copy DVD to PSP, DVDR or iPod Lifetime upgrade once licensed. I have purchased the blu-ray to blu-ray module too anticipating that I shall be buying a BD ROM drive soon.

15.WinPatrolPlus: BillP Studios - WinPatrol 2010 A program monitor and protector utility. Lifetime licence.

16.Perfect Disk 11 - PerfectDisk2008>Perfect Disk10Pro>PerfectDisk11Pro:
Disk Defrag Software | Defragment Computer | Disk Defragmenter - PerfectDisk One of the best Disk Defragmenters. I also beta-tested PerfectDisk 11.

17.PerfectSpeed PC Optimiser: Disk Defragmentation Technology - Microsoft Certified | Duplicate File Remover - PerfectSpeed PC Optimizer A good PC optimiser for Novices. I could have done without it but purchased it since I am an admirer of Raxco Products. Their customer relations is very good. They follow up your purchase and keep in touch with you.

18.VisualRoute 2008SE: VisualRoute - Internet Connectivity Tester and Traceroute Tool

19.SRS Audio Sandbox: https://www.srslabs.com/store/store/...sp?idProduct=6 Again an audio enhancer from SRS labs. Somehow it did not impress me. Long since I used it. Have to retry again to see whether I can change my perception.

Now its time for other BHPians to share.

Last edited by Ponmayilal : 4th April 2010 at 02:09.
Old 4th April 2010, 05:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

is that the izotope VST plugin, or winamp plugin that you use ?
Old 4th April 2010, 06:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

everything I have is freeware.

you have a lot of optimisers, monitors, tools etc. Don't you find them affecting performance?
Old 4th April 2010, 12:22   #35
BHPian

I missed out some licenced software that slipped out of my mind.

20. Second Chance

21. Partition Magic 8

22. Drive Image 2002

All the above three from PowerQuest (later taken over by Symantec) were stars of the Windows 95 , Windows 98 and Windows ME days. I purchased them for a few dollors (may be $5 or less each) in a Public Expo at Detroit. I still use Partition Magic with Windows XP and for a longtime used Drive Image for backing up and restoring Windows XP till I moved on to Acronis True Image.

23. ISObuster Pro: CD Recovery | CD DVD Data Rescue software,

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
is that the izotope VST plugin, or winamp plugin that you use ?
Izotope mainly deal with Pro Audio Signal processing stuff that can be used with Virtual Studio Technology (VST) but Ozone MP is a consumer software - may be a stripped down Pro version of their Ozone 4 - to be used with Windows Media Player and Winamp. Has unparalelled control over the audio to shape the sound as one may like and I almost always use it with Winamp and sometimes in conjunction with DFX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
everything I have is freeware.

you have a lot of optimisers, monitors, tools etc. Don't you find them affecting performance?
No. I always use them on command. The only two programs in System Tray that startup with Windows are AVG and WinPatrol -apart from the nforce sound control panel and Geforce display settings. Most programs that try to forcestart or costart with Windows are either killed during installation or subsequently by unchecking the "Start with Windows" option. Those that don't give an option and other startups show in msconfig>startup. These are carefully examined with the help of WinPatrol - It has an extensive database of these startup-sneaks (mostly supplemented by the users of this program)- and those not necessary and/or unsafe are disabled. WinPatrol also constantly monitors and alerts you whenever a new startup sneaks in and one may either allow or kill it after getting more info from its database. All in all it is a nice little utility.
Old 4th April 2010, 12:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

The only piece of software for which I have paid myself is Windows Vista.
Old 4th April 2010, 12:54   #37
BHPian

summed up?

So, all that /paid/ licensed software. hmm, Nice!
what would we have if we summed up the total?
Just curious.
BTW,
I have a Licensed Windows XP (with Home Power!),
/ was stuffed in my face by Dell when I bought their 1420 /

Care

Ace.
Old 4th April 2010, 12:57   #38
BHPian

I guess the only licensed software on my pc is Kaspersky Internet security 2009 and in a few more days, Kaspersky Internet security 2010.

Edit: By licensed, do you mean, the software we have paid for, or just installed in the system by other means.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 4th April 2010 at 12:59.
Old 4th April 2010, 13:00   #39
BANNED

I never buy software. I like freeware. Why pay when you can get free.
Old 4th April 2010, 13:48   #40
Team-BHP Support

The only thing I purchased was XP and a reduced version of office. But my windows is gone too. All I have is a MAC at home. I got the Snow Leopard update and iWork.

Rest all is freeware or native. Documentation works very well with LATEX. I have given up on office too. Well almost ...
Old 4th April 2010, 15:51   #41
BHPian

the sum up of an ideal station

I was thinking., and Mann!
If you were to purchase one/two versions of all the kind of software that we use daily, how much we would need to earn?
I remember, first 5 months with my first job, I managed to save up enough for a decent Lappie, i.e. 1420-with 8400 M GS () (way back..)
If I were to get additional licenses then, I would have to work for 10 more !
All the DivX, and Office, and others!
all of them.
Not like I am standing for any piracy,
But, just a thought,
How much can a person afford to spend on the "software"?

I would rather buy alloys/hardware goodies, and use freeware!

Care.

Ace.

P.S. Eh, this could be OT

Last edited by driverace : 4th April 2010 at 15:52. Reason: mentioned P.S.
Old 4th April 2010, 17:07   #42
BHPian

Kaspersky Internet security 2010 only
everything else i have not paid for
Old 4th April 2010, 19:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

Well let me share my list :
Ashampoo Burning studio 9
Acronics disk director suite
Microsoft office 07
Microsoft xp Pro Sp3 genuine
Old 6th April 2010, 13:17   #44
BHPian

I used to have srs sandbox, but now my asus eeepc has a good audio board cum software.

Presently have

1. Networx tray utility

2. VLC Media player (freeware) for playing .vob

3. Ccleaner for desktop/temp/startup/registry cleaning (freeware)

4. Defrag for defragging filewise (freeware)

5. Any video convertor (freeware)

6. NCH Wavepad for converting audio (freeware)

7. Intervideo WINDVD8 (firmware version)

8. Qclock world clock realtime desktop utility (freeware)
Old 6th April 2010, 13:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

I don't make money by using a copy of any software other than learning, so I guess I don't need to pay for any software. Is that right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks